Character Topics
Yuuichi Aizawa Character Discussion
Sayuri Kurata Character Discussion
Kaori Misaka Character Discussion
Mishio Amano Character Discussion

Miscellaneous Topics
Kanon Quotes & Screenshots
Kanon Fanart

General discussion thread for Kanon and itā€™s adaptations. Please tag late-game spoilers with the [spoiler] tag with adequate context provided in parenthesis.

6 Likes

Kanon is my jam. No no, not that jam, my jam jam.

I think Kanon holds up fantastically today, with little future Keyā€™s even surpassing it. Course Iā€™m the worst person to ask if Kanon holds up to, because man, Kanon is too much to me, Kanon is my life changer, of course Iā€™ll think that, only LB managed to dig deeper.

Kanon 2006 gets props for being pretty much perfect an adaptation, Iā€™d call it the quintessential Kanon package with the only major flaw being a nerfed Shiori route.

EDIT: After bookclub Iā€™m gonna have to call you an asshole, me, Kanon 2006 IS very good, but the VN is probably better.

4 Likes

I havenā€™t read the original, but it definitely felt like they couldā€™ve gone further with Shioriā€™s story. Iā€™m interested to see how the original compares.

The improvements to Shiori in the VN I believe are better pacing and the stronger romantic angle being a valuable part of the route.

Hereā€™s a Kanon Reviewy/comparasonny thingy I did after finishing the VN

Just make sure you donā€™t expect too much, Iā€™m a terrible writer.

Well, I just finished watching Kanon (2006) andā€¦wow I absolutely loved it. All the character arcs were really well done. Even Makoto, whoā€™s my least favorite girl had me crying at the end of her arc. Mai had me really interested in her with all the demon hunting stuff. Her past was pretty sad too, the snow bunny zoo got me (so glad her mom didnā€™t die). Then Shioriā€¦goddamn it I love her so much. Sheā€™s definitely my favorite girl. The date parts were so cute that I wish they never ended. My only complaint was how that arc ended. It was so abrupt I didnā€™t even know it ended. I feel like playing the VN just for her though.

I felt sorry for Nayuki when she was a kid on the snow bunny part. And then the car incident part with Akikoā€¦right when the teacher said they wanted to talk to Nayuki and Yuichi and it kept going back to Akiko. I was like ā€œdonā€™t cross that street please nononoā€ and then it happened T-T. Thereā€™s always gotta be some kind of car incident in Keys work haha. Glad Akiko and Shiori didnā€™t die in the end though. Now Ayu Ayu was my 2nd favorite. I loved how she was always around with Yuichi, she definitely deserved to be the main heroine. Their past tied in nicely too. Her ā€˜deathā€™ scene didnā€™t get to me as much cause I saw a pic of her in a wheelchair before starting the anime so I kinda figured out everything as soon as she fell off the tree. Still it was all really good (I love happy endings).

Overall Iā€™m glad I watched this, lots of feels were had. Now Iā€™ll be watching Air nextā€¦once this void in my heart healsā€¦ Why am I torturing myself with all these feels? Damn you Keyā€¦

My favorite ost: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7qtuPd6oXs

4 Likes

Shoujo no ori is everyoneā€™s favourite.

5 Likes

The anime adaption of Kanon '06 was great~ (So was Airā€™s and Clannadā€™s) Telling a characterā€™s route, while still expanding on other the characters in the background. The voice acting was perfect, especially when it comes to the jokes. Getting lost in the school - ā€œWho made this place so freaking big?!ā€

My only problem with the anime was that they made an ending to Maiā€™s route. In the VN it was implied that She might have died. but the anime tweaked it a bit~

Everyoneā€™s favorite ost :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Iā€™ll always remember Kanon as the first series that actually made me shed a tear. Makotoā€™s arcs ending destroyed me emotionally at the time. Hey, maybe thatā€™s where my love of foxes originated~ (jks jks)

Man, that one really is a favorite of mine. The ā€œKanon Recollectionsā€ version of the song is just too good.
I personally feel like this one is incredible, and it destroys me. I read Kanon recently and then rewatched it, and now I kind of want to watch it for the 3rd timeā€¦

I watched the 2006 Anime Adaptation of Kanon in December of 2013 and posted a review on my blog so if you want to know more about my thoughts on the show you can check it out but to cut the long story short: I really liked Kanon 2006. I think Kyoto Animation did a good job with the show and each of story arcs were executed well . My favorite of the story arcs would probably be a tie between Mai and Shiori. To me I think Kanonā€™s strongest aspect is probably the character interactions between Yuiichi and the girls. They were really interesting especially the ones with Shiori. As for the characters they were all likable. Even Makoto who I initially found to be quite annoying grew on me and it was really sad to see her die at the end of her story arc.* The only problems I have with the show is that the beggining can be pretty slow and the ending while heartwarming is a bit confusing. One of my favorite scenes in the show is the Dance scene during Maiā€™s story arc. Itā€™s probably one of my favorite dance scenes I have seen in an Anime.* Of course Shoujo no Ori is awesome and I find myself listening to it on my phone occasionally when Iā€™m doing my college work.

1 Like

tl;dr: Fuckinā€™ Miracles Son.

1 Like

At some point in time, we need to get a chart that compares the amount of users to the amount of compliments Shoujo no Ori receives.

3 Likes

For absolutely no reason at all, I suddenly felt like talking about Kanon.

I think Kanon has the most laid-back feel out of all the Key VNs Iā€™ve played. Like, thereā€™s something about Kanon that whenever I think about it, it kind of makes me feel calm. Add to that I remember playing it at one instance while waiting in line at a hospital when it was nearly devoid of people

I recently visited the real-life counterpart of the park where Yuuichi and Shiori went to, and I didnā€™t even realize it had @Aspirety not told me. I should remember to go visit the shopping area that Kanon is known for since it is relatively near my dorm (and of course, I should visit there when it is snowing)

4 Likes

Remember to play the ost as well.
Da da da, dun dun dun, da da dun~

1 Like

How did it take me this long to find this thread? ><

I love Kanon. Itā€™s one of my favorite anime of all time, and itā€™s my favorite visual novel at this moment in time. It has everything I could ever want from a story: a snarky protagonist with a dry sense of humor, a winter setting, six very cute girls (yes, Sayuri counts), and a funny, gripping, heartbreaking story about life, love, and a promise to a childhood friend.

What else can I say about it? Itā€™s awesome! :3

[quote=ā€œAspirety, post:6, topic:31, full:trueā€]
Shoujo no ori is everyoneā€™s favourite.
[/quote]I actually found Girlā€™s Prison a little repetitive. I prefer listening to The Other Side of a Smiling Face more.

[quote=ā€œPepe, post:13, topic:31ā€]
I think Kanon has the most laid-back feel out of all the Key VNs Iā€™ve played. Like, thereā€™s something about Kanon that whenever I think about it, it kind of makes me feel calm.
[/quote] I actually agree with you. Kanon does feel rather laid-back and relaxing. I like those kinds of stories. (Itā€™s probably one of the reasons why I like Lucky Star so much.) :3

[quote=ā€œPepe, post:13, topic:31ā€]
I recently visited the real-life counterpart of the park where Yuuichi and Shiori went to, and I didnā€™t even realize it
[/quote]Holy crap, thatā€™s awesome! I envy you. X)

[quote=ā€œKanon, post:2, topic:31ā€]
I think Kanon holds up fantastically today, with little future Keyā€™s even surpassing it. Course Iā€™m the worst person to ask if Kanon holds up to, because man, Kanon is too much to me, Kanon is my life changer, of course Iā€™ll think that, only LB managed to dig deeper.
[/quote]Little Busters must be pretty good if it managed to surpass the greatness of Kanon. Why isnā€™t it in the mail yet? XP

4 Likes

We now have discussion topics for every route of Kanon! All thatā€™s left is a few side characters.

1 Like

Any particular reason Yuuichi doesnā€™t have a character discussion page? Should I make one?

2 Likes

Because he doesnā€™t have a birthday I guess, thatā€™s the usual trigger for the creation of one.

Go ahead buddy. I think itā€™s high time that he gets one. :smiley:

2 Likes

As long as it follows the template, go ahead!

1 Like