Kanon - Ayu Tsukimiya Route & Character Discussion

Discussion topic for Ayu’s arc & character in Kanon. Feel free to discuss anything from the route, but mark any comparisons to events outside of her arc and the common route with the [spoiler] tag. Her arc refers to episodes 19-24 of the 2006 anime. For all intents and purposes, Ayu’s route commences from the 19th of January onwards, but feel free to refer to earlier events relating to her character as well. Her birthday is the 7th of January.

This topic also hosted Kanon Bookclub discussion from this post onward.

What would you rate this route?

0 voters

Uguu~
Nuff said

2 Likes

First things first, happy birthday to her.

I overall enjoyed her route and remember some things which I really liked and made me cry. Overall her route was one of the best in Kanon. I bought a Taiyaki pan after I finished the route btw.

I’ll be honest, I forgot Ayu had a full name and wasn’t just Ayu-Ayu.

FUCK ME THIS ROUTE.

Aight you guys know why I go around calling myself Kanon? It’s real simple, because this shit(tl;dr made me go by ‘Kanon_Fan’ for a few months because I was like 15, shortened later because that’s what people called me).
Ayu’s route fucked me uuuuuuuuuup, that was so good, so well crafted and displayed, I’d saw nothing like it before and was completely changed. Ayu and Yuuichi’s chemistry is phenomenal and eternally watchable, so attachments to either character was already high by the time the route hit at the end of the show.
And then THE DRAMA happened, or lordy the dram drams, ok first we kick off the route in full with what is STILL the best kiss scene ever, we enjoy some cute fun, more of that chemistry, it’s all good and then CHOO CHOO DRAMA TRAIN and then Ayu fucks off for a couple of episodes while we handle Nayuki, this was effective, it extended Ayu’s disappearance while filling it with content to fuck Yuuichi up more to get the Drama train going a full speed for the SNOWSTORM SCENE WOO WOOOOOO, drama’s at it’s peak the steak is delicious and high and the episode closes on that, must have been wickedy wack to wait a week on that shit.
Sure am talking about the Anime a lot huh? Yeah, because it’s more my flavor, the drama of this route is not nearly as thick in the VN(Said Snowstorm scene not existing what-so-ever), but the overly dramatic tone of the Anime was perfect, it was exactly my flavor, Although make no mistake, even without the build up and dramatic flair, the route still has it’s glorious climax, one of Kanon’s best scenes, regardless of which version(not you, 2002), no one can argue this.
The route just had the fantastic characters and scenes to deliver a solid package, LE TWIST was well and subtly foreshadowed by Ayu’s personality, letting lines such as “I thought this was a cake shop”, “wow so many new flavors of ice cream”, “what’s a cellphone” and other ‘out of touch with the times’ things hidden beneath ‘acts like a dumb kid’ WHICH IN ITSELF is foreshadows.

tl;dr man i like this route

WHICH IS WHY

This is wrong, there is so much more depth to Ayu and her route than her iconic catchphrase.

6 Likes

ikr Im just no good with describing, I mean I like ayu and her personality - how childish she is and how bright she is etc. but whenever I hear ayu-ayu the “uguu” immediately comes to my mind.
Oh also Ayu is the only one that if I remember correctly uses the “boku” as for me right? Whenever I hear a female character say boku Ayu comes in mind again lolol.

As you can guess from Kanon’s positivity I’m not a fan of Ayu, but her name is soooo cool. Say it fast! Tsukimiya! Sounds like a fast car or something!

Every time I go through the common + Ayu route I notice a new line (or I forgot one and remembered it) that makes me think “hang on a minute…”

1 Like

Ayu is my favorite character in Kanon, hands down. She is also one of my favorite Key characters. Like Nagisa in Clannad and (I assume) Misuzu in AIR, the entire story of Kanon revolves around Ayu. No matter what route you play, you are guaranteed to see her at least once.

When I first saw Ayu in the Kanon anime, I immediately thought “Fuko Version 0.33”, but she’s a lot more than that. While they are similar in many respects, there is a big difference in what they enjoy, what their goal is, and their connection and relationship to the protagonist. Ayu likes taiyaki, says ‘Uguu’ a lot, speaks like a tomboy, and already has deep feelings for Yuuichi.

The way Ayu speaks and thinks is always so fascinating, even to Yuuichi. Ayu prefers to refer to herself using ‘boku’. I am not fluent in Japanese, but I do know that when a girl uses ‘boku’, it usually means she prefers to act boyish. The problem is that Ayu does not act boyish at all. She is more energetic and boisterous than the majority of the female cast, but she is still quite polite and does act like a little girl should at points, such as when she overreacts to Akiko-san getting a cold.

And then there’s her verbal tic, ‘Uguu’. She usually says it when annoyed, in pain or feeling defeated, similar to Makoto’s ‘auu…’ Every time she says it, it brings a smile to my face. But what exactly does ‘Uguu’ mean? It’s one of the world’s great mysteries, almost up there with the answer to life, the universe and everything. My theory is that it doesn’t really mean anything. It’s just a noise made by a specific animal that indicates a specific emotion. This is common in quite a few Japanese mascot characters, and to see something like that in Ayu’s character may also go back to Yuuichi’s initial thoughts of Ayu being weird.

Ayu’s goal is to retrieve the angel doll she and Yuuichi buried seven years prior, in order to make her final wish. There is, however, one problem with the wishes she makes. Her first wish is that Yuuichi will never forget her. Okay, cool. Her second wish was to go to school with Yuuichi. That’s nice. Her final wish was to have Yuuichi completely forget about her. Wait, what?

As for Ayu’s feelings toward Yuuichi, they start out as friends because of Yuuichi’s good-natured actions as a child. While Yuuichi has certainly changed since then, Ayu still recognizes that some part of his past self still remains. However, the fact that she is, in essence, a figment of her own imagination disheartens her, and puts a bit of a roadblock in her relationship with Yuuichi. When she makes her final wish, however, she forgot that she had made Yuuichi promise to never forget her. As a result, Yuuichi was left to choose whether or not to keep Ayu’s memory with him. He did, and he was able to greet her when she woke up.

One more thing about the ending that bugged me was the differences the visual novel and anime had. It was acknowledged in both media that Ayu broke her back when she fell off the tree. In the anime, they show her paralyzed from the waist down in a wheelchair. But what does the visual novel show? Her sitting on a bench, with no injuries at all. What the heck? This logical error is only a small flaw in the writing, but since it makes more sense in the anime, it kind of makes it hard to not judge it.

Ayu is one of the best Key characters ever. She set the standard for every short girl character in Key’s works, and remains the queen of them all because of the emphasis placed on her as the main heroine. She will always have a place in my heart. <3

3 Likes

Oh, here is the flagship. The juggernaut that took the VN industry by surprise in late 90’s and gave Key the Legendary status we all know about!

What’s not to love about her?

2 Likes

I love Ayu. Unlike most anime heroine’s, she doesn’t have those cliche archetypes that are put on her. Like she’s not a tsundere, a kuudere, and Yandere, none of that stuff, she’s actually someone with a personality of her own.

Ayu is hands down the best heroine.

I also loved the meaning behind some of her actions. For example, whenever Yuichi was late, he would be running and saying sorry and Ayu would normally respond “You’re late again… But that’s okay, as long as you came, I feel like the waiting was worth it.” It foreshadows Ayu herself, how she’s been waiting for 7 years for the boy to come back.

The last few scenes of the 06 Anime, where Mai tells Yuichi that Ayu’s still waiting for him to take her home too. I loved the symbolism. When Yuichi found the headband, then it showed young Yuichi going to young Ayu, giving it to her as a present, and saying “Ayu, Lets, Go” with a smiling face. It symbolized how Ayu could finally come “home” and how she could finally wake up.

Fun facts.

1. The person who wrote Ayu’s route (Naoki Hisaya) found it hard to write, because he was better at writing quiet girls, while Ayu was the complete opposite.
  2. Hinoue said Ayu was her favorite character to create, out of all the Kanon characters.
  3. Naoki Hisaya exclaimed that he came up with Ayu’s route when he conceived the idea of a “ghost girl” who waits for the protagonist to come back.
  4. Ayu is the only Key character/heroine to have her own Wikipedia page.
  5. Ayu was very popular during Kanon’s dominating years, appearing in other franchises.

I also love the conclusion to her arc in the 06 anime, how she was in a wheelchair, representing people with disabilities, and how she asked Yuichi if she would be able to walk again someday, with Yuichi responding that she will. It showcased that we should all have hope, no matter what obstacles we face in the near, or distant future. Anything is possible.

Here’s a picture that Hinoue drew a few weeks ago and posted on Twitter, to showcase how much she still loves Ayu.
~ Uguu

8 Likes

Uguu, that’s just adorable! >.<

I love Ayu. Not on the “BEST GIRL” level, but I found her personality to be pleasantly entertaining. She has the best theme in Kanon imo (sorry Shoujo no Ori, but I love you too). And a very well-written route too.

Plus, Uguu~ is best verbal tic that Key ever had.

2 Likes

Bookclub discussion begins from this post onward!

My favorite Kanon girl and most favorite route of them all. Best girl.

This is probably the first time I have been able to catch up with the reading in the Kanon bookclub and I’m determined to post my thoughts about Ayu’s route as it has now become one of my favorite routes since Shiori’s route. Ayu is the most adorable, sweet and energetic girl and it is because of her personality that I find her very cute though sometimes she can be clumsy and silly. The times she spent with Yuuichi were always the most fascinating aspects of this route between his usual teasing at her and Ayu constantly getting upset when he makes fun of her.

Anyways, I am halfway of reading her route as of now and I hope I can get in to some discussion later on this week with everyone. So far, I am up to the 22nd already and I think the writing so far has been well-paced and it’s been keeping me interested yet again since I finished it last year.

After the solid beginning of Nayuki, the phenomenal plot of Makoto, the confusing ride that was Mai, the short but sweet exposition dumping of Sayuri, and the memorable drama Shiori had to offer…it’s no surprise that Ayu is a little underwhelming in its execution. Nevertheless, it’s the route that thematically ties every route together. Happiness, acceptance, hope, memories, love…Ayu presents them all in a simple, small, neatly-wrapped package.

Ayu herself is energetic and cute on the surface, but there is a constant subtle sadness surrounding her figure. On several occasions she pushes herself to be constantly happy in front of others rather than bother them with her troubles. In a sense, she represents Yuuichi’s own attitude towards the town, with deliberate ignorance of whatever sorrows occurred in the past seven years. Throughout her route, however, she never strikes me as a complex character. Rather, she seems more like a simple character who occasionally shows complex feelings.

Up to now, every character in Kanon found complexity in their relations with other characters. (All these are mild spoilers for each route, by the way.)

For Nayuki, it was her familial relationship with Yuuichi and Akiko, the former of which constantly changed as the route progressed but never grew to a point where it forced them apart.

For Makoto, it was also her relationship with Yuuichi, starting out chaotic before growing into something closer to father and daughter before becoming lovers.

For Mai, it was her relationship with Sayuri, a deep and passionate friendship that goes far beyond what we are told in the story, but is easy enough to understand through Mai’s actions.

For Sayuri, it is her relationship with Kazuya and with Mai, the former being a huge reason she acts the way she does and the latter standing as a testament of her will to live.

For Shiori, it was her relationship with Kaori and Yuuichi, the former acting as her ultimate goal and role model in life and the latter as her reason to continue on with life.

We are shown Ayu’s past relationship with Yuuichi in tandem with their hijinks in common, and it serves to show the parallel between their past and present interactions. Perhaps the best thing that connects the two together is Ayu’s desire for comfort after the death of her mother left her an orphan, which is fine. It creates a need for Ayu to be friends with Yuuichi, even if he’s not quite the best person in the world to be friends with. It’s hard to feel the same need from Yuuichi’s perspective since he was forced into the relationship through circumstance, but he does develop a devotion to Ayu through their small talk and play time together.

Their relationship in the game’s present time is best described as one-sided verbal abuse. Yuuichi says or does something offensive to Ayu, she uguus and points out his mistake, he retorts with his own logic, rinse and repeat. It works as a comedy act, but not so much as character development. The more serious moments of their conversations work far better in moving the story along, although I personally feel that their teasing routine works to relieve the tension of the plot. Thereby, it’s one of the easier routes to read in Kanon, as the language is simple and concise, and the serious and silly are kept well-balanced.

The real kicker of Ayu’s route, however, are the last couple days of the route. As Yuuichi (and the reader, by extension) discovers the true nature of Ayu as an ikiryou, he finds that the memories he had of her were partially forged in an attempt to cover up the sad reality. My personal theory on all this is that his false memories, combined with the promise to always remember Ayu, resulted in Ayu’s manifestation as an ikiryou. Her memories as an ikiryou overlapped with his, and as she discovered the harsh truth, she began to realize that the memories she held were lies and her existence was unnatural. Finding it hard to believe that her time with Yuuichi should have happened, she attempts to wish herself away from Yuuichi’s memory and thereby cease to exist. However, Yuuichi tells her that the fun times she had with him were not in vain, and it was not a good thing for her to bear her problems by herself. Trusting Yuuichi’s judgement, she subconsciously wishes for another chance to be together with him instead, and as if by a miracle, she awakens in her once-comatose body.

It still bothers me that Ayu woke up completely fine after falling off a tree and severely injuring her back, which is why I praise the anime’s correction of putting her in a wheelchair at the end.

With perhaps one last attempt at sparking up some discussion, I would like to ask the podcasters one question: Why do you think Ayu prefers pinky swearing between her and Yuuichi? Do you feel it adds to the weight of their relationship, or do you think it feels pointless in the long run due to Yuuichi constantly breaking his promises? I look forward to hearing more in the podcast. :wink:

For my final thought, I would like to not only summarize how I feel about Ayu’s route in particular, but about Kanon as a whole. As the first Key novel I ever read, Kanon introduced me to a beloved set of characters and a setting unlike anything I had ever seen before, as well as set me up for what to expect from Key in the future. I’ve read more of Key’s novels since then, and while I think they are great in their own way, there’s something nostalgic and comfortable about going back to the town of seven years ago, with a sleepy girl to greet me at the train station. Every time I go shopping, I run into a cute girl with a winged backpack and a love for taiyaki. When I go to school at night, I can fight demons with a quiet girl and make friends with her and her ojousama friend during the day. Out in the quad, a lone girl waits for me to bring her ice cream and make small talk with her, perhaps even ask her out on a date. At home, I can outsmart the freeloading bratty teenager with a love for manga and nikuman, then wake up the next morning and eat toast with strawberry jam with my cousin. All while making quips about how ridiculous the whole situation is.

I love Kanon. It was ambitious for its time, but it’s a classic today. I love the characters and setting, the music is great, the visuals are dated but charming to look at, and the message it brings is timeless. Key has found solid footing since then, with many successful visual novels under their belt and even more coming out in the next few years. If there’s anything I hope neither Key nor its fans ever forget, it’s the memory of the town of seven years ago, and the people we promised to meet there.

#KanonRemakeWhen ._.

5 Likes

I think Ayu wanted to pinky swear with Yuuichi because it did serve as a connection and the hope of them seeing each other again. It feels like a basis of how their relationship had grown despite Yuuichi losing his memories as he started a new life in the town he left those seven years ago. It was Ayu’s way of saying that she wanted him to enjoy their time together so that Yuuichi would remember her for who she was and not to feel regret for those painful memories he would later have experienced. I’m not really good at expressing my thoughts on this because I do tend say things redundant but I am trying to comment on what I feel that can contribute to the discussion. :sweat_smile:

I do agree with @EisenKoubu that Kanon as a VN in itself is very nostalgic and memorable for the moments Yuuichi spent with Nayuki and Akiko as well as the other heroines he met in the other routes were characters that you could come to love and cherish as Yuuichi’s attitude in time had changed about the snowy town and the cold he had eventually was getting used to over time. Kanon has this unique setting of how beautiful and wonderful the town covered in snow had really made the pacing of the story interesting and meaningful. I also do love the music as it is nostalgic in the sense that it conjures up the way how the town changes and feels as the snow makes it a wonderful setting of how very personal Yuuichi had felt during his time in the town.

1 Like

I agree somewhat, but I don’t believe that the ghost Ayu is related to the real Ayu in any way but being a part of Yuuichi’s memories.

Back in the Nayuki route post I made it was mentioned that Nayuki wished for the accident to get closure. This was backed in-part by a monologue at the end of the route by a mysterious person. Presented in Ayu’s “dream” style, the monologue mentions that they will make the final wish, and the only wish. Ayu is probably the one who made that wish, but keep in mind, this was a dream sequence. Soooo the Ayu in the coma made the wish, while the ghostly Ayu had been long gone. Ayu’s “spirit” is Yuuichi’s wish. It’s both the thing tying him to the town and the thing that made him want to leave in the first place. It’ll ask for him to uncover those memories he denies, but it’s fine with him just letting go so long as he learns to love that town. The wings are the dead giveaway of this, being those of an angel, a wish-granting being.
Some may believe that the apparition of Ayu exists to branch the gap between Yuuichi and Ayu, but I believe that Yuuichi was the one to create it. A version of Ayu that fits with his clouded memories enough to not force him into a memory-fueled shock. With how unreliable Yuuichi is as a narrator, and with how perfectly this version of Ayu fits into his unreliable vision, I can’t believe that she came from the real Ayu.
Meanwhile real Ayu is there with a wish ready for when Yuuichi gets a heroine. Best wingwoman. She even helped Yuuichi get with herself!

4 Likes

Finally, I have finished Ayu’s route and I loved every single moment re-reading again. I am understanding a bit more with her route that Ayu was wanting to treasure those memories with Yuuichi ever since the seven years that they spent together but she was really afraid to accept the happiness given to her knowing how lonely she felt throughout her life and that Yuuichi had to leave the town. I guess it wouldn’t be hard to imagine that Yuuichi had to bury those memories and shut them out so he could feel at ease with the pain he was suffering and how moving back to the town might make him not wanting to come back if he regain those memories ago.

It does goes along true that Yuuichi would want to create the illusion of having an actual ‘spirit’ so he would be able to uncover the truth about what had happened those seven years ago. He needed to understand the real reason why he had to go back to the snowy town and the time he used to remember when meeting Ayu for the first time and how much those irreplaceable times that he could call her first love meant for him. The last wish that Yuuichi had to grant for Ayu would have meant that he had to let go of the illusion he created from the memories he had buried deep within his heart and to let Ayu’s spirit in a sense to rest and having the real Ayu wake up from her long dream.

I really do love this route very much and yet it has still managed to give me the feels after this whole time replaying Kanon as a whole. I would rate this route a 5 out of 5 for me because it shows that despite the moments that Yuuichi and Ayu had with each other held together in the pacing of the story and how it kept me as a reader to experience the memories that flowed through the town Yuuichi had eventually come to love in the end. :smile:

1 Like