I Wanna Be The Very Best - Let's Play Pokémon Fire Red

So welcome to Let’s Play Pokémon Fire Red! Since Sun and Moon are soon coming out and this is all celebrating the 20th anniversary of Pokémon, I thought ‘Why not Let’s Play the first games?’ And since I’m too used to steel and dark type existing, I’m playing the remake instead. And since we’re a forum, I can emphasize the Us in Let us Play.

So how will this look? While going through the game, I will catch only 1 Pokémon per route, cave, or whatever place I’ll pass through. And you guys are going to vote which Pokémon I should catch. Furthermore, you’ll be able to decide which team I take into Gyms and ultimately the Elite Four. I’d also like you to suggest me nicknames for each Pokémon, because I’m kinda uncreative in that regard.

So how will voting work? I’d like to do voting in an Alternative Vote style. That means that I’d like you to organize the Pokémon of a given route from most preferred to least preferred in terms of what I should catch. Since polls are more comfortable to look at and also don’t inflate the topic as much, I’ll use these. That however means that voting will be simple First Past The Post (So the highest amount wins). Suggested nicknames will be picked on me liking them though, but that shouldn’t stop you from suggesting them.

So let’s start a new Pokémon adventure!

Previous Updates

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19

Pokémon I caught

The Team

The Reserves

4 Likes
Part 1: The Beginnings of a new Pokémon Trainer

So let’s start the game!

“I’m glad to meet you too!”

Oak: “My name is Oak. People affectionately refer to me as the Pokémon Professor. This world…”

Oak: “For some people, Pokémon are pets. Others use them for battling. As for myself…
I study Pokémon as a profession.”

“Last time I checked I was a boy.”

“My name’s Lunar.”

Lunar: “Yup.”

Oak: “He’s been your rival since you both were babies.”

Lunar: “Seriously? You can’t remember the name of your own grandson? I’ll give you a hint: His name is opposite to mine.”

Lunar: “Bingo!”

Lunar: “Yes?”
Oak: “Your very own Pokémon legend is about to unfold!”

Ah, home sweet home.

Lunar: “Take that, you giant brain!”

Lunar: “What?! I was playing as a girl the whole time?”

The Mailbox is empty. However:

I had a nice potion stored here.

Lunar: “Hi, Mom!”

Mom: “It said so on TV.”
Lunar: “It’s great that you see it that way, but you really shouldn’t take what they say on TV for the undisputable truth. One woman tried to sacrifice her own child to god because the TV told her to…”

Lunar: “Okay, I’ll go to him, then. Bye~”
But first, let’s check what’s on TV

Ah, Stand By Me. A great movie, but…

Pallet Town Theme

Lunar: “What’s so interesting? This sign?”

Lunar: “…”

Lunar: “I guess, though this one wasn’t too useful for me.”
Girl: “Still, make sure to read them!”

Man: “You can now store and recall items and Pokémon as data via PC.”
Lunar: “Yep, and I heard they’re working on something to make trainers able to visit their Pokémon in their Poké Balls.”

I’ll go there later. First, let’s check…

Lunar: “Morning, Daisy!”
Daisy: “Hi, Lunar!”

Lunar: “Thanks for the info. Guess I’ll go there too, Professor Oak wanted to talk to me anyway.”

The guy on the right is probably his twin. He said the same thing to me…

Woman: “Many Pokémon Trainers hold him in high regard.”
Lunar: " Yeah, I also heard rumors that he was the Pokémon Champ for some time."

Lunar: “Hey Sol, seen your grandpa?”

Lunar: “Did he forget that he wanted to meet us here? Earlier today he forgot your name too.”
Sol: “Again? Seriously, he seems to be getting forgetful in his old years. Could you look for him?”
Lunar: “Sure. Later.”

Well, he was nowhere else. Maybe he left the city?

Oak: "You need your own Pokémon for your protection.
Lunar: “I’m aware of that. I was just looking for you. You told me to meet you after all.”
Oak: “Oh right. Here, come with me!”

Oak: “Sol? Let me think…
Oh, that’s right, I told you to come! Just wait!”
Lunar: “(He really is forgetful, huh?)”
Oak: “Here, Lunar. There are three Pokémon here.
Haha!
The Pokémon are held inside these Poké Balls. When I was young, I was a serious Pokémon trainer. But now, in my old age, I have only these three left.”

Sol: “Hey! Gramps! No fair! What about me?”
Oak: “Be patient, Sol. You can have one, too!”

But which one do I choose?

So here’s your first vote: Should Lunar choose Bulbasaur, Squirtle or Charmander?
Since I’ll be getting Poké Balls very soon too, I’d like you to vote on a Pokémon for both Route 1 and Route 22 as well.
Starter:

• Bulbasaur
  • Squirtle
  • Charmander

0 voters

Route 1:

• Rattata
  • Pidgey

0 voters

Route 22:

• Rattata
  • Mankey
  • Spearow

0 voters

Also don’t forget to suggest nicknames for each possible Pokémon :wink:
You have time until appproximately the release of Pokémon Sun and Moon in North America and Japan (That’s the 18th November). So I’ll see you then.

3 Likes

First vote yay!

So I’m going to go with charmander as the first choice (because velocity for the win). I really don’t have any strong opinion about Charmander’s name, so I’ll let you guys decide. I’ll probably vote for one of the ones you may come up with.

Route 1: Pidgey (fuck Rattatas, I hate them). Pidgey’s name should be “Vector” (because birds are a clear disease vector in many cases)

Route 22: Mankey>Spearow (Because I hate rattatas and we would already have a Pidgey and a potential Charizard, so too many flying type). Mankey would be “Chuck Norris” and Spearow would be “Vector2” for obvious reasons.

I really liked the way you gave your own touch to the Let’s Play with your own comments. Also, you could put really extreme personalities into all the characters and overreact to everything even more. It might turn it even funnier. So overall, great job with the first episode. I’ll be looking forward to the next one!

I will go with Charmander for the 1st choice as well… 'cause dragons. I’ve always liked hitokage~ as for its name, huh. Lets go with Rekka? :smiley:

Route 1: Pidgey called Nostradamus :smiley: 'cause reasons.
Route 22: Mankey with the cool name of Lupin the IV :smiley: and Spearow for the 2nd choice. I dunno what to call him though~

In the interest of keeping the topic readable, please use polls to when there are multiple choices to pick from (who to catch), and let replies be for discussion and motivations for said choices, and anything without clear “options” (names)!

Polls can be inserted with the cog button above the editor.

Charizard isn’t even a real dragon what are you saying?

1 Like

lol shit taste the thread

Using the horrid remakes, playing the red version, and then all the bad picks in the poll.

Zard is aight but the Pidgey dominance over Rattata is bullshit. Pidgeot is 100% shitmon while Rattata lords over early Kanto as a god, at level 13 it naturally learns Hyper Fang, a move stronger than anything Pidgey learns except for the single exception of Hyper Beam when it becomes Pidgeot. Rattata/Raticate can effortlessly destroy entire trainers faster than everything else at that point beats single Pokémon.

Mankey isn’t exactly an amazing choice, Fighting has little worth in Kanto, and Spearow isn’t really any worse, although they’re both way worse than Rattata, but Rattata should be caught on Route 1 because everything is better than shitty Pidgey, especially Spearow who is for all intents and purposes, a superior Pidgey who reaches it’s full strength at level 20 while Pidgey has to wait for level 36 for that and STILL ends up worse than Fearow(and lets not even talk about how Dodrio shits on both of them, as far as Normal/Flying goes).

tl;dr Everyone should change their Route 1 choice because Pidgey is an uncontrollable shitmon while Rattata is a monster.

3 Likes

Yeah Rattata is fine early on but what about after that? No matter how much effort you put into it its going to be shit as a Raticate because once you get to the point where “Hyper Fang on everything” doesn’t work you’re sol. Pidgey isn’t very good either but its at least consistently mediocre, and we’re going to need it as a fly-slave after people wise up and realize Charizard is objectively the worst starter evolution.

I mean ideally you wouldn’t want to use Raticate OR Pidgeot cuz they’re both shitmons. But at least Rattata has a stage of domination while Pidgeot is forever worthless.

Charizard is completely fine tho, no matter how much cooler Venusaur is, Grass is trash in Gen III because no moves actually exist and Poison is hardly any better due to being Poison, furthermore, Team Poison running around with a thousand Golbats, as for Blastoise, there is a whole lot of water type competition, meanwhile Charizard actually has very little Fire Type competition, although it struggles on Misty, Hyper Fang can remedy that.

By Misty you can get a Clefable or Wigglytuff to mega punch/kick everything though, and while being otherwise trash they at least have that cuteness factor.

For starter Pokemon Venusaur really is the only real choice because the other two are outclassed by other fire/water types. There aren’t many good moves but damn if Venusaur can’t a take a hit while waiting for leech life and toxic to finish the job. Really running a team without a starter isn’t a bad idea.

What Fire Type outclasses Zard exactly? Arcanine isn’t really any better or worse, Ponyta evolves at level 40, lol, Flareon, Ninetales and Magmar are inferior and unavailable in Red, Moltres is at the end of the game.

I don’t disagree that Venusaur is the best Grass/Poison in Kanto but lol toxic/seed stalling ingame no thanks.

Are you going to be streaming or no?

As D&T showed me that my PC can’t handle streaming, no. So the pictures will have to suffice.

Okay, I was called out. Let’s see here…

I chose Squirtle for starter, and I want to name it Genji (after the turtle Reimu rides in the PC-98 games, not the Umineko character). :stuck_out_tongue:

For Route 1, I chose Pidgey. My nickname for it will be Nekotabe. (Because it’s cat food. :stuck_out_tongue: )

On Route 22, I picked Mankey (RIP Rattata ;;7 ). The nickname I bestow upon it will be Tsunderape. (Hope that fits within the character limit… XP )

Stat wise Arcanine is slightly better, being a great mixed attacker with some decent bulk. Type wise you sacrifice some resistance to types you’d never have to worry about (bug and fighting) and the admittedly nice immunity to earth to not be rekt by rock type attacks, as well as weakness to electric. Plus this is a single player run. No matter how shit the team you’ll win with relative ease, so all that really matters is the nicknames.

I propose
“Pikachu” for Charmander
“Diglet” for Rattata
“Dragonite” for Pidgey
“Magikarp” for Spearow
“Zapdos” for Mankey

2 Likes
Part 2: Tackling to victory

Oak: “So, Lunar, you’ve decided on the Water Pokémon Squirtle?”
Lunar: “Yes.”
Oak: “This Pokémon is really quite energetic!”

Lunar: “Hmm, I think I’ll call you Genji. I don’t know why, but it just seems fitting for a turtle…”

Sol: “My Pokémon looks a lot tougher than yours.”
Lunar: “Oh yeah? Wanna find out if your perception holds true in actual battle?”
Sol: “Let me think about it…”

Oak: “If a wild Pokémon appears, your Pokémon can battle it. With it at your side, you should be able to reach the next town.”

Sol: “You know, like you suggested. Come on, I’ll take you on! There’s no way I’ll lose to your lame looking Pokémon!”

Oak: “Oh, for Pete’s sake…
So pushy, as always.”
Lunar: “Are you going deaf, too? I kinda challenged him first.”
Oak: “That was aimed at both of you…
Still, Lunar. You’ve never had a Pokémon battle before, have you?”
Lunar: “No, but I’ve seen several on TV.”
Oak: “A Pokémon battle is when Trainers pit their Pokémon against each other. The Trainer that makes the other Trainer’s Pokémon faint by lowering their HP to ‘0’, wins.”
Lunar: “That means I still know what a Pokémon battle is, geez.”
Oak: “But rather than talking about it, you’ll learn more from experience. Try battling and see for yourself.”
Lunar: “Thank you! So now, Genji, use Tackle!”
Oak: “Oh one more thing:”
Lunar: “Oh will you keep quiet already? I’m getting along well enough.”

Lunar: “Oh really? I would have
thought staring down on each other would be way more effective.” :smirk:
Sol: “Ooh, Tackle sounds good. Bulbasaur, also use Tackle!”

Lunar: “That seems to have worked quite well, Genji, use Tackle again!”
Sol: “Bulbasaur, keep up with the Tackles!”
Lunar: “You can’t rest yet, use Tackle!”
Sol: "You can do it, Tackle, now!
Lunar: “I think he’s almost done, one more Tackle and we should win!”

Sol: “I picked the wrong Pokémon!”
Lunar: “Who’s tougher now?”
Oak: “Hm! Excellent! Albeit a bit boring…
If you win, you earn prize money, and your Pokémon will grow! Battle other Trainers and make your Pokémon strong!”
Lunar: “Will do.”
Sol: “Okay! I’ll make my Pokémon battle to toughen it up! Then we’ll see who’s tougher!”

Hmm, I should say good bye to my mom before leaving the city. Oh hey, there’s that girl that loves signs so much.
“Not reading any signs anymore?”
Girl: "Nah, I’ve already got the ones here memorized! By the way:

Girl: “When they get strong, they can protect me. Also that way those signs have important information for me, too. After all, most of them are Trainer Tips.”
Lunar: “Well, I’ll start my Pokémon journey today, but I wish you good luck for the future.”
Girl: “Really? Cool! And thanks, maybe we’ll meet one day in another town~”

So now to say goodbye to mom.

Lunar: “Thanks. I’ll be going on my journey now.”
Mom: “Ah, time really flies. I remember it like yesterday, when you were still a little baby.”
Lunar: “Mom, please!”
Mom: “Hihi! Oh let me tease you a bit before you leave. But stay save on your journey, and remember, you can always come back here if you need a little rest.”
Lunar: “Thanks, Mom! Good bye!”
Mom: “Bye!”

Hmm, might as well say bye to Daisy.

Daisy: “I wish I’d seen that!”
Lunar: “Eh, it was really just a bunch of Tackles.”
Daisy: “Still, the look on my brother’s face when he loses is prizeless. So I guess you’ll also go on a journey?”
Lunar: “Yeah.”
Daisy: “Well, good luck on your travels! Bye bye, Lunar!”
Lunar: “Thanks. And bye, Daisy.”

Route 1 Theme
So that’s how it looks outside of town.

Oh, my first wild Pokémon battle!
“Go Genji! Same strategy as last battle, just use Tackle!”

Man: “It’s part of a convenient chain selling all sorts of items. Please, visit us in Viridian City. I know, I’ll give you a sample. Here you go!”

Lunar: “Thanks!”

Boy: “It’s a bit scary, but you can jump from them.”
Lunar: “I’ll test that later.”

Lunar: “Ah, and this route also has birds. Hmm, looks kinda cool…”

Hmm, Genji took quite some damage there, should better use a Potion.

Seems like I reached Viridian City.

The battle moves of a Pokémon are limited by their Power Points, PP. To replenish PP, rest your tired Pokémon at a Pokémon Center.
Should better do that…

Nurse: "Would you like me to heal your Pokémon back to perfect health?
Lunar: “Yes.”

Nurse: “Thank you for waiting. We’ve restored your Pokémon to full health. We hope to see you again!”

Teenager: “They make all Pokémon completely healthy.”
Lunar: “And it doesn’t take long either…”

Boy: “They charge no money, so don’t be shy about healing Pokémon.”
Lunar: “That’s good to know.”

Old Man: “The receptionist told me so. It’s so kind of her!”
Lunar: “That’s for Pokémon and Item Storage, right? Currently don’t need it, but I’ll sure be needing it later, so thanks for the info.”

Teenager: “Caterpie has no poison, but Weedle does. Watch that your Pokémon aren’t stabbed by Weedle’s Poison Sting.”
Lunar: “Noted, watch out for Weedle’s Poison Sting.”

Welcome to Viridian City

Lunar: “Yeah, what about it?”
Boy: “It’s great that you can carry and use Pokémon anytime, anywhere.”

Damn, I forgot my chainsaw at home…

And someone left a Potion here. Well, don’t mind if I do.

And the northern building holds…

…a school. Also, let’s check her notes:
“Poké Balls are used to catch Pokémon. Up to six Pokémon can be carried in your party. People who raise and battle with Pokémon are called Trainers. A healthy Pokémon may be hard to catch, so weaken it first. Poison, burn, or cause another status problem to weaken it. Pokémon Trainers seek others to engage in Pokémon battles. To Trainers, the taste of victory is sweet, indeed. Battles are constantly waged at Pokémon Gyms everywhere. The ultimate goal for all Pokémon Trainers is simple. It is to defeat the top eight Pokémon Gym Leaders. Do so to eran the right to face the Elite Four of the Pokémon League!”
Lunar: “Hmm, the one who beats the Elite Four is basically the best Pokémon Trainer there is, right? I think that’ll be my goal. So watch out, you Gym Leaders out there, a new challenger has arrived and his name is Lunar!”
Girl: “Hey! Don’t look at my notes! And be quiet!”

Just a list of status effects. All kinda self-explanatory.

“Special Feature: Prof. Oak, the Pokémon Researcher!
Prof. Oak reportedly lives with his grandchildren Daisy and Sol.”
Lunar: “Tabloids aren’t what they used to be…”

Woman: “I’m so sorry. He hasn’t had his coffee yet.”

Old Man: “This is private property!”
Lunar: “Who designed this city, when you have to go through private property to reach the exit?”

Guess I’ll check out the southern house…

Lunar: “Oh hey, another bird!”

Man: “Clever names are nice, but simple names are easier to remember.”

I think I’ll stick with clever.

Oh right, I should check out the Pokémon Mart.

Lunar: “Yeah.”
Clerk: “You know Prof. Oak, right? His order came in. Can I get you to take it to him?”
Lunar: “Since the road ahead’s currently blocked, sure, might kill enough time for that old fool to get his coffee.”
Clerk: “Okay, thanks! Please say hi to Prof. Oak for me, too.”

Teenager: “You never know when your Pokémon will need quick healing.”
Lunar: “Yeah, good thing I had one when traveling here, otherwise Genji might have fainted.”
Teenager: “Genji?”
Lunar: “Oh, my Squirtle.”
Teenager: “Ah, nice name.”

Lunar: “Those heal poison, right? Maybe I should get some.”

But now that I’m going back, let’s test jumping down those ledges.

Yep, works fine.

Lunar: “I’ve got a delivery for Prof. Oak here, is he there?”

Oak: “Well, it seems to be growing more attached to you. You must be talented as a Pokémon Trainer.”
Lunar: "I’m just starting, you can look forward to seeing me battle in a few weeks!
Oak: “And what was that? You have something for me?”
Lunar: “Yeah. With regards from the Viridian City Pokémon Mart sales clerk.”
Oak: “Ah! It’s the custom Poké Ball! I had it on order. Thank you!”

Sol: “I almost forgot! What did you call me for?”
Lunar: “Just like your grandpa, huh?” :smirk:
Sol: “Shush!” :angry:
Oak: “Oh, right! I have a request for you two. On the desk there is my invention, the Pokédex! It automatically records data on Pokémon you’ve seen or caught. It’s a high-tech encyclopedia! Lunar and Sol. Take these with you. You can’t get detailed data on Pokémon by just seeing them. You must catch them to obtain complete data. So, here are some tools for catching wild Pokémon.”

Oak: "When a wild Pokémon appears, it’s fair game. Just throw a Poké Ball at it and try to catch it! This won’t always work, however. A healthy Pokémon can escape. You have to be lucky! To make a complete guide on all the Pokémon in the world…
That was my dream! But, I’m too old. I can’t get the job done. So, I want you two to fulfill my dream for me. Get moving, you two. This is a great undertaking in Pokémon history!
Sol: “All right, Gramps! Leave it all to me! Lunar, I hate to say it, but you won’t be necessary for this.”
Lunar: “Good, I’ll just concentrate on becoming the best Pokémon Trainer in Kanto instead.”
Sol: “Ugh, that’s not what I meant. Just stay home, your first victory against me was just luck. You’ll never be able to be good enough to beat a Gym Leader, let alone the Elite Four.”
Lunar: “Oh, we’ll see.”
Sol: “Just don’t run home crying when you get your first loss. I warned you. But for this journey, hmm…
I know! I’ll borrow a Town Map from my sis! I’ll tell her not to lend you one, Lunar! Hahaha! Don’t bother coming around to my place after this!”
Lunar: “Oh, now I’ll definitely visit, just to spite you.”

Daisy: “Gee, that’s lazy of him. Here, this will help you.”

Lunar: “Didn’t your brother tell you not to give me one of those?”
Daisy: “Oh, he’s just still salty that he lost against you. And you know that I was never a huge part in you rivalry.”
Lunar: “True enough. Well, thanks! And bye again!”
Daisy: “Good bye!”

Now I wanna try this catching thing myself. I think I’ll catch one of those birds.

So first, weaken the Pokémon…

…then throw a Poké Ball…

…wait…

…and gotcha!
“I think I’ll call you Nostredame, after that astrologist. So welcome to the team, Nostredame!”

“Good, now you should feel better, Nostredame.”

Lunar: “Yeah, I’d like to have some Poké Balls.”

Lunar: “Thanks!”
Clerk: “Come again!”

Lunar: “Oh hey, the old man got his coffee!”

Woman: “I have to take the winding trail in Viridian Forest when I go.”

Old Man: “Hm? What is that red box you have?”
Lunar: “That’s a Pokédex. It gathers data on caught Pokémon.”
Old Man: “Ah, so you’re working on your Pokédex. Then let me give you a word of advice. Whenever you catch a Pokémon, the Pokédex automatically updates its data.”
Lunar: “…I just said that.”
Old Man: “You don’t know how to catch a Pokémon?”
Lunar: “I do. Look, I even caught this Pidgey here myself.”
Old Man: “I suppose I had better show you then!”
Lunar: Maybe I should just stop talking to old people.

Lunar: “You’re not even weakening it first? Some guide you are…”

Lunar: “No. No it wasn’t. But you’re probably not even listening to me.”
Old Man: “And here, take this, too.”

Old Man: “If there’s something you don’t understand, watch that. It will teach you about the basics of being a Pokémon Trainer. I recorded all of these messages!”
Lunar: “Now I will definitely not listen to them.”

Old Man: “I wonder who the Leader is?”
Lunar: “Oh my, it’s a wonder! An old man that isn’t blabbering on and on!”

Catch Pokémon and expand your collection. The more you have, the easier it is to battle.
Will do, but I think this town also had a west exit.
So let’s check what Pokémon appear on this route…

So more Rattatas…

Also, is that…?

Sol: “You’re off to the Pokémon League?”
Lunar: “That is my final goal, wanted to look at the building first.”
Sol: “Forget about it! You probably don’t have any Badges, do you?”
Lunar: “You don’t, either. So what are you doing here?”
Sol: “Uhh…
Anyway, the guard won’t let you through without them.”
Lunar: “Speaking from experience?”
Sol: “By the way, did your Pokémon get any stronger?”
Lunar: Uh Oh. This could get dicey. :worried:

Sol: “Go, Pidgey!”
Lunar: “Oh, you caught a Pidgey, too? Well, go, Genji! And use Bubble!”
Sol: “Oh, some new moves! Anyway, Pidgey, use Tackle!”
Lunar: “Genji, keep using Bubble!”
Sol: “The following should stop you from hitting: Pidgey, use Sand Attack!”

…accuracy fell.
Lunar: “It hasn’t much HP left, a Tackle should end this!”

Lunar: “Well, I’ve not much choice left. Use Tackle!”
Sol: “Bulbasaur, use Tackle as well!”
A few Tackles later

Lunar: “Honestly, I did. Two critical hits from my side, two missed hits from your’s…
However, you didn’t even use a Grass Type move, I’m sure your Bulbasaur should have access to one by now,
after all, Genji has a Water Type move as well.”
Sol: “Ugh, I thought there’s nothing worse than losing to you. There is: Getting lectured by you after I lost. Anyway: I heard the Pokémon League is crawling with tough Trainers. I have to figure out how to get past them. You should
quit dawdling and get a move on!”
Lunar: “Oh, now you’re encouraging me?”
Sol: “Well, I still want you to stay my rival. That way I improve myself as well.”

And there he goes. But now let’s see what other Pokémon here are.

*Hmm, that bird I saw before, Spearow, I think…

This is my ultimate goal. I’ll be back later.

…another level up…

…and a monkey. A violent monkey. I think I’ll catch you.

Lunar: “And I think I’ll name you after a truly legendary Trainer. It is said that he only needed one Poké Ball to catch Mew. So welcome to the team, Norris!”

Lunar: “And for training you guys, I’ll check out what Pokémon appear on…”

A bug…

…still more Rattatas…

…more Pidgeys…

…and another bug.

But which one should I catch?

I underestimated the amount of stuff that happens in the beginning, so quite a long update. The draw for the starters also meant that I actually had to decide something, so sorry for those that voted Charmander (and Bulbasaur). Anyway, as hinted, vote for
Route 2:

• Rattata
  • Pidgey
  • Caterpie
  • Weedle

0 voters

I’d again like to have some nickname suggestions, so go wild. Although I forgot to mention last time that there’s a character limit of ten, that’s why I had to shorten some names. So I guess don’t go too wild? ^^;
I also don’t really like naming Pokémon after other Pokémon. Since you were mostly pretty fast with voting last time, you have ca. 48 hours. So go forth and vote~

2 Likes

I vote Weedle, and I want it to be named Beezoar. :slight_smile:

I SWEAR IF YOU GUYS DON’T VOTE FOR RATTATA THIS TIME I’LL GUT ALL OF YOU.

I mean those AWFUL bugs are in Viridian Forest immediately after this route so you don’t even have to lose out on one of those if you want(Not that you should, because Beedrill is legitimately the worst thing in the game and Butterfree is not much better).

GIVE ME RATTATA, AND CALL IT HYPER FANG.

3 Likes

Awesome update @VyseGolbez. It was extensive and you covered pretty much everything. Kudos for your dedication.

For this time’s choice I’m going to vote for rattata for the exact same reason @Kanon said. However, for the name, I differ. I vote for calling it something faintly similar to Hyper Fang, but not related to fangs exactly. I vote for “Ultra mama”, because why not?

Part 3: Gust 'em away!

Okay, I thought about it for a while. and I think I know which one I’ll catch.

And there it is. As always, a bit weakening, and then:

Lunar: “Welcome to the team! With those fangs you’re sporting, I’ll call you HYPER FANG. Hope you’ll honor that name in the future.”

But before I leave for the forest, I should really buy some antidotes and train you guys up a bit.

That’s part one done.

Lunar: “HYPER FANG, you’re a bit weak for now, so you should watch your teammates a bit and learn from that.”

Lunar: “Huh, Norris, seems you’re also learning from teaching others.”

Lunar: “And you’re starting to get more confident, HYPER FANG. I think you are now able to train on your own.”

Lunar: “Like that! Just keep on getting stronger!”

HYPER FANG grew to LV. 7!
Lunar: “More strength!”

Lunar: “Now listen, HYPER FANG, you’re pretty small, you should be able to use that to your advantage and strike the enemy with blinding speed. So try it out!”

Lunar: “Yeah, exactly like that!”

Eventually

Lunar: “Okay, that’s enough for you, HYPER FANG. Norris, it’s your turn now.”

Lunar: “Norris, I have already seen some of your hand work, but I wanna see some of your foot work now. So try kicking the enemy!”

Lunar: “Like that! While it isn’t a Roundhouse kick, it’ll work for now.”

Norris grew to LV. 10!
Lunar: “And with that, you’re also ready to go. Nostredame, you’re up! And as a bird, try using your wings! You could create a Gust by flapping them, for example.”

Lunar: “Perfect!”

Lunar: “Now, we’re ready for the forest.”

What will await us here?

Girl: “Have you caught one already?”
Lunar: “Yes, but it hasn’t learned any bite-techniques yet.”
Girl: “It’ll learn them eventually.”

Woman: “Be careful you don’t get lost.”
Lunar: “How bad can it be?”

Viridian Forest Theme

Weaken Pokémon before attempting capture! When healthy, they may escape!
See, even this sign knows!

Teenager: “They’re all itching to get into some Pokémon battles!”
Lunar: “I’ll gladly take them on!”
Probably should put Nostredame at the lead, if they’re all using bugs.

Yep, this is a maze. Where to go first? Well first let’s read this sign.

If your Pokémon are weak and you want to avoid battles, stay away from grassy areas!
I might also want to avoid battles if my Pokémon are too strong, because then the battles don’t really give me much.

Boy: “That’s why you can never have too many Poké Balls.”
Lunar: “Agreed, that’s why I still have over ten left.”
And that item there is…

But I wanna check the middle path first. Ah, another sign:

Makes sense to advertise them in a forest full of Pokémon inflicting poison.

And on the left path someone lost a…

Nice! Now for the right path:

Ah, my first Trainer battle that’s not against Sol!

Bug Catcher: “Let’s battle 'em!”

Lunar: “We trained that before, use Gust!”

Lunar: “Very good!”

Lunar: “And again!”

Rick: “Ssh! You’ll scare the bugs away. Another time, okay?”
Lunar: “I recommend you to catch something else than bugs though, otherwise it’ll only need a Flying Type Pokémon to crush your team, like I demonstrated.”
Rick: “But bugs are cool!”

Bug Catcher: “Pokémon Trainer!”

Lunar: “Nostredame, same strategy as last battle! Gust them away!”

Lunar: “And you’re even getting stronger from this!”

Lunar: “And that’s that.”

Doug: “That totally stinks! I’m going to catch some stronger ones!”
Lunar: “Do that!”

Contact Prof. Oak via a PC to get your Pokédex evaluated!
Maybe I’ll do that in the next city.

Someone left something on the way again…

Yoink!

Bug Catcher: “I might be little, but I won’t like it if you go easy on me!”
Lunar: “It’s your funeral.”

Lunar: “You know the drill, Nostredame!”

Anthony: “I lost some of my allowance…”
Lunar: “I warned you.”
But now let’s see what bugs appear here.

So the bugs from outside and their evolutions…

Also a good thing I bought those Antidotes…

Oh, and something that isn’t a bug!

Lunar: “Ooh, nice one, Norris! Seems you learned a new move!”

And it seems I’m near the exit.

And it’s voting time again! Which Pokémon from the Viridian Forest get’s a chance to be on Lunar’s team and what name will it have? It’s your choice! I also got to hear Pikachu’s old cry again. Next time Lunar will also have his first Gym battle.

• Caterpie
  • Metapod
  • Weedle
  • Kakuna
  • Pikachu

0 voters

1 Like