I Wanna Be The Very Best - Let's Play Pokémon Fire Red

I vote Pikachu, because I’m a weeb with nostalgia goggles and I’m proud of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

If the Pikachu is male, name it DeVito after the Great Detective Pikachu fan petition. If it’s female, name it Atsuko after the creator of Pikachu’s rough design.

Is it possible to get a kakuna or metapod later on? If so, then I’d vote for Pikachu. However, if this is the last opportunity of getting a metapod or kakuna, I’d like you to catch one and call it Helm’s Deep.

In fact, between kakuna and metapod I’d rather have kakuna because of the evolution. Anyway, I won’t vote for now.

@Kanon since you seem to be the most expert in here, can you get a metapod/kakuna later on?

Kakuna and Metapod both also appear on Route 25. That one will probably be the last one I could catch those. Probably because I’m not sure if and when in the story I’ll do the extra stuff that’s only in the remakes.

I see. Then I’ll go with Pikachu for now and I’ll vote for kakuna later on. For Pikachu’s name. I propose Sparky.

I’d say Pikachu is the best choice here, especially for the 2nd gym fight. As for the nickname, I sadly can’t think of anything as of now.

1 Like

Beedrill is really good early-game, but levelling up a Weedle is too easy. Get a Kakuna and do it the hard(en) way!

2 Likes

Votes for Kakuna next
You’re sending mixed signals here :stuck_out_tongue:

Pokémon Sun and Moon is finally out in Europe! I chose the Fire starter! Also a happy Thanksgiving for those from the States! But enough of that, you’re here for a Let’s Play.

Part 4: Crushing the first Gym

But before I continue forward, I’ll look for another Pikachu.

While looking for said Pokémon…

Lunar: “Found you!”

Lunar: “You’ll be called Atsuko, after the woman that first saw a Pikachu. Welcome to the team!”

While training Atsuko…

And now let’s continue our travels through this forest.

Lunar: “Something special in those trees?”
Bug Catcher: “Huh? Ah, no, but did you know that Pokémon evolve?”

Lunar: “Nostredame, they’re yours!”

Charlie: “Bug Pokémon evolve quickly. They’re a lot of fun!”
Lunar: “I can imagine that. And to your question, yes, I did know that Pokémon evolve. Those Metapod were evolved Caterpie, right?”
Charlie: “Yep!”

And the grand prize is…

You can’t catch a Pokémon that belongs to someone else. Throw Poké Balls only at wild Pokémon to catch them!
It should be common sense that that would be stealing, but you never know these days. So good job, sign!

Bug Catcher: “Hey, wait up! What’s the hurry? Why the rush?”
Lunar: “I wasn’t even running…”

Lunar: “Finish him, Nostredame.”

Sammy: “Sometimes, you can find stuff on the ground. I’m looking for the stuff I dropped. Can you help me?”
Lunar: “Uhm, I haven’t seen any items whatsoever in the vicinity. But good luck! Bye!”
Now I’m in a hurry… ^^;

And I found my way through the maze. Finally!

Old Man: "They can be cut down by a special Pokémon move, I hear.
Lunar: “Oh, so no need for any heavy machinery. Good to know!”

Teenager: “You need to be persistent and look everywhere to get different kinds.”
Lunar: “So basically every place houses different Pokémon.”

Woman: “When a Pokémon is evolving, you can stop the process. It’s a technique for raising Pokémon the way they are.”
Lunar: “Had something to do with a B…
Never quite understood it, to be honest.”

Almost there

And there we are!
Same as Viridian City

All Pokémon that appear in battle, however briefly, earn EXP Points.
Heh, I already used this advice!

Man: "They’re all like Bug Catchers, you know, just hobbyists.
Lunar: “That explains the Monotyping.”
Man: “But Pewter Gym’s Brock isn’t like that, not one bit.”
Lunar: “Hope you’re right…”

Lunar: “No. So what are you doing?”
Bug Catcher: “I’m spraying Repel to keep wild Pokémon out of my garden!”

Thieves have been stealing Pokémon fossils from Mt. Moon. Please call the Pewter Police if you have any information.
Crime never rests, huh?

Lunar: “Yes I am.”
Boy: “Brock’s looking for new challengers. Follow me!”
And then he drags me through the whole city:

Lunar: “Will do, but let me look at the rest of Pewter City first.”

The Rock-Solid Pokémon Trainer
Hope this doesn’t mean that he’s monotyping as well, otherwise I’d feel kinda sorry for him…

Woman: “They appeared after Moon Stones fell on Mt. Moon.”
Lunar: “And that’s where Mt. Moon got it’s name from, right?”
Woman: “Yes, before that it was just the Pewter-Cerulean Mountain Range, but Mt. Moon sounds way cooler.”

Ooh, a Museum! I think I’ll take a look.

Lunar: “That’s cheap, count me in.”

Old Man: “Never did I think I would get to see the bones of a dragon!”
Lunar: “News Flash, I think this wasn’t even a Dragon Type.”
Old Man: “But it looks like a dragon!”

Girl: “I asked my daddy to catch me one!”
Father: “Yeah, a Pikachu soon, I promise!”
Lunar: “They rarely appear in the Viridian Forest.”
Father: “Thanks for the info.”
Girl: “Iiih, but in that forest there are all those bugs!”
Father: “Hey, I’ll be there.”
Girl: “Oh right, and with my dad I’m not afraid of anything!”

Related

Man: “What’s so special about it? Looks like an ordinary rock to me.”
Lunar: “Maybe it’s useful for certain Pokémon? There has to be a reason why Clefairy are always near them.”

Old Man: “Humankind first set foot on the moon on that day. I bought a color TV just so I could watch that news.”
Lunar: “‘A small step for a man, but a giant leap for mankind.’ That’s how it went, right?”
And that’s the Museum.

Lunar: “Yes.”
Man: “Weren’t those fossils from Mt. Moon amazing?”
Lunar: “Yeah, captivating.”

He didn’t sit.

Father: “An outsider is a Pokémon that you get in a trade. It grows fast, but it may ignore an unskilled Trainer in battle. If only we had some Badges…”
Lunar: “So first get some Badges, then trade.”

Boy: “Even the weak ones can surprise you if you don’t give up on them.”

Teenager: “It’s totally weak and it cost 500 Pokédollar!”
Lunar: “Maybe this is one of those Pokémon that surprises you when you train it?”

Old Man: “But some moves must be taught to them by people.”

Boy: “Sleep, poison, burn, or paralysis…
Those are all effective. But catching Pokémon is never a sure thing!”
Lunar: “Although you risk the Pokémon fainting with poison and burn.”

Old Man: “Team Rocket is at Mt. Moon? Huh? I’m on the phone! Scram!”
Lunar: “Sorry.”
Hope I don’t run into them.

Boy: “I had two Pikachu, so I figured I might as well trade one.”

Teenager: “When Jigglypuff sings,
Pokémon get drowsy…
…Me, too…
Snore…”

Song
So… sleepy…

There it is. Now I’m ready. My first Gym.

Man: “Do you dare to dream of becoming the Pokémon champ? I’m no Trainer, but I can advise you on how to win. Let me take you to the top!”
Lunar: “Okay, shoot!”
Man: “All right! Let’s get happening! The first Pokémon out in a match is at the left of the Pokémon List. By changing the order of Pokémon, you may gain an advantage. Try different orders to suit your opponent’s party.”
Lunar: “Okay, with this place all but screaming ‘Rock Types’, it’s your turn, Norris. Show them how strong you are.”

Huh, he beat me to here.

Camper: “You’re ten thousand light-years from facing Brock!”
Lunar: “Then I wouldn’t be on this planet.”

Lunar: “Start of with a Karate Chop!”

Lunar: “And again!”

Lunar: “Good!”

Lunar: “Though it isn’t super effective, continue to use Karate Chop.”

Liam: “Light-years isn’t time…
It measures distance! You’re pretty hot.
…But not as hot as Brock!”
Lunar: “We’ll see.”

Brock: “My rock-hard willpower is evident even in my Pokémon. My Pokémon are all rock hard, and have true-grit determination. That’s right - my Pokémon are all the Rock type!”
Lunar: “That’s what I feared.”
Brock: “Fuhaha! You’re going to challenge me knowing that you’ll lose? That’s the Trainer’s honor that compels you to challenge me. Fine, then! Show me your best!”
Lunar: “No, I spoke of fear because it means that your team has a glaring weakness, and I’ll show it to you!”

Fitting music

Lunar: “I choose you, Genji! Show him your Water Gun!”

Lunar: “Wanna see it again? Okay! Genji, Water Gun!”

Brock: “As proof of your victory, I confer on you this… the official Pokémon League Boulderbadge.”

Brock: “Just having the Boulderbadge makes your Pokémon more powerful. It also enables the use of the move Flash outside of battle. Of course, a Pokémon must know the move Flash to use it.”
Lunar: “Okay, I’ll leave then.”

Brock: “A TM, Technical Machine, contains a technique for Pokémon. Using a TM teaches the move it contains to a Pokémon. A TM is good for only one use. So, when you use one, pick the Pokémon carefully. Anyways…
TM39 contains Rock Tomb. It hurls boulders at the foe and lowers its Speed. There are all kinds of Trainers in this huge world of ours. You appear to be very gifted as a Pokémon Trainer. Like that other one who was here not to long ago. So let me make you a suggestion. Go to the Gym in Cerulean and test your abilities.”
Lunar: “That other Trainer? You don’t happen to speak of a Trainer with a Bulbasaur?”
Brock: “Indeed I do! You know each other?”
Lunar: “Yeah, he’s my rival.”
Brock: “He’s a good rival. He sweeped me quite similarly like you did with his Bulbasaur. Lost twice in such a short amount of time…”
Lunar: “I bet you usually get challenged by those Bug Catchers.”
Brock: “Yeah, and against them my Rock Pokémon have the upper hand.”
Lunar: “Well, I’m off to Cerulean City then.”
Brock: “Good luck on your journey!”

Man: “May I ask how you felt after you won?”
Lunar: “It was an amazing feeling. My first badge… Now I truly am on my way to becoming the next Pokémon champ!”

Oh hey, isn’t that one of Prof. Oak’s aides?

Aide: “I’m glad I caught up to you. I’m Prof. Oak’s Aide. I’ve been asked to deliver this, so here you go.”

Aide: “Well, I must be going back to the Lab. Bye-bye!”

“Dear Lunar,
Here is a pair of Running Shoes for my beloved challenger. Remember, I’ll always cheer for you! Don’t ever give up!
From Mom”
Aww, thanks mom!

To be continued

This time you’ll have to vote without seeing the Pokémon again. Hope you can live with that.
Route 3

• Pidgey
  • Spearow
  • Jigglypuff
  • Mankey
  • Nidoran Male
  • Nidoran Female

0 voters

Like always, also give me some nickname ideas. As a sidenote, as was hinted by an NPC this update, I’ll soon be able to buy a certain Fish Pokémon for 500 Pokédollar. I’ll count this Pokémon extra, so outside the “One per Route” rule. So nickname ideas for this one (it’s a Magikarp) are also welcome. Additionally, I usually forget that TMs exist, so any recommendations for the usage of those are also welcome. And this time I don’t forget to give the timelimit, you have approximately 48 hours.

2 Likes

Yay~ :smile:

I vote Jigglypuff, and I want it named Aoi because its voice is angelic~ :stuck_out_tongue:

My vote is for Nidoran male, but if you’re going to catch a Jigglypuff then name it Kanon because it’s singing puts people to sleep. Additionally, it should learn an electric move to shock the sleeping Pokemon. :wink:

1 Like

If I had noticed that you already had a Mankey, I would’ve voted Jigglypuff… :sweat_smile:

You should be able to change your vote by clicking “hide results” then re-choosing.

:open_mouth: Thank you! Jigglypuff was always one of those Pokémon that I dismissed, but playing Jiggly in Smash got me to like them a bit more. He’s my meme pick. Normal Pokémon are always a bit of a hindrance type-wise so that should add some challenge.

3 Likes
Part 5: Short Battles

And the adventure continues

Lunar: “Go Atsuko, electrocute this bird!”

Lunar: “The other one too!”

Janice: “You shouldn’t be staring if you don’t want to battle!”
Lunar: “Right back at’cha, because I do want to battle.”

Lunar: “You eat these bugs for breakfast, Nostredame!”

Colton: “There are other kinds of Pokémon than the ones you find in forests.”
Lunar: “And yet you use the ones from the forest. Also, I don’t remember beating you before…”

Youngster: “They’re delightfully comfy and easy to wear!”

Lunar: “Ouch, that hurt. Norris, it’s your turn!”

Lunar: “And Scratch that Ekans to bits!”

Ben: “Are you using a Pokémon Center’s PC for storing your Pokémon? Each Box can hold up to 30 Pokémon.”
Lunar: “I don’t even have a full team yet, but good to know.”

Bug Catcher Greg would like to battle!
Lunar: “That’ll be more bugs, Nostredame, it’s probably second nature for you by now.”

Greg: “If a Pokémon Box on the PC gets full, just switch to another Box.”
Lunar: “Got it. And I recommend you to catch a Geodude, that should cover some of your team’s weaknesses.”

Lunar: “Atsuko, I choose you! Show her how shocking you can be!”

Lunar: “Okay, you should be able to weather one more hit, so paralyze that Nidoran and after you’re hit again I’ll switch you out.”

Lunar: “…or you don’t get hit at all. Good work!”

Sally: “You can avoid battles by not letting Trainers see you.”
Lunar: “But that would be boring.”

:SunoHii:

Lunar: “Look Atsuko, there’s another bird to fry with electricity!”

Calvin: “I always wear shorts, even in winter. That’s my policy.”
Lunar: “Whatever floats your boat, but I’ll stay with my jeans, thank you very much.”

Bug Catcher James would like to battle!
Lunar: “Look who happily crawled before your beak, Nostredame!”

Lunar: “Guess we skipped lunch.”
James: “Trained Pokémon are stronger than the wild ones.”
Speaking of wild Pokémon:

Ohh, cute, gimme~

I think someone fell in love…

Lunar: “I’ll call you Kanon, so that you will one day be able to sing the one from Pachelbel.”

Lunar: “You’re not ready for Trainer battles yet, so come back! And you, Norris, are going to show that Jigglypuff your fighting moves!”

Robin: “Route 4 is at the foot of Mt. Moon.”
And back to battling wild Pokémon here.

I bet the female one also appears here, but it seems to be very rare…

Lunar: “Oh nice, now you can fight for yourself, Kanon!”

Youngster: "That tunnel from Cerulean takes a lot out of you!

Boy: “Brock is cool. He’s not just tough. People like and respect him. I want to become a Gym Leader like him.”
Lunar: “Good luck, then!”

This just looked too suspicious.

Boy: “Yeah, that’ll do it. At most, you can have six Pokémon with you.”
Lunar: “So I reached the maximum capacity for my team.”

Youngster: “In that case, you should just store some using any PC.”

Old Man: “Not a day goes by without Team Rocket being in the news.”
Lunar: “Hey, that headline’s interesting: ‘Young Trainer beats Gym Leader Brock’”
Old Man: “Hm? Oh yeah, some new Trainer from Pallet town, apparently he was brimming with excitement. He also said that he’s planning to become the next champ. Hah, to be young again…”

Lunar: “Sounds tempting…”

So yeah, I’ll buy a Magikarp at the start of the next update. Please give him a nice nickname. I also thought a while how I want to work with new Pokémon now that I have a team of six. And I’ve come to a decision: I want to have the new Pokémon to get a chance to perform in the team, so each time I’ll catch a new Pokémon from now on, you get to choose who from our active team gets benched, or rather boxed, if we wanna use Pokémon terminology. Also don’t worry, there’ll be extra voting from all our Pokémon for the Gyms as well.
So, who should leave the team in favor of Magikarp for now?

• Genji (Squirtle)
  • Nostredame (Pidgey)
  • Norris (Mankey)
  • HYPER FANG (Rattata)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Kanon (Jigglypuff)

0 voters

Like always, you have ca. 48 hours. I have also updated the OP with my current team.

2 Likes

I vote to name your magikarp Shia, because he doesn’t let his dreams be dreams

2 Likes

Yup, +1 for Shia, perfect name for a Magikarp. Another option would be naming it Magicrap and changing its name later on when it evolves to Gyarados.

Part 6: Enter Team Rocket

But first, I’ll need some space in my team.

You can store Pokémon here, right?

Lunar: “You did great so far and were a good help against all those Bug Catchers, but for now I’ll let you rest in this Box.”

Lunar: “Yeah, yeah, I know. Just shut up and take my money.”
Merchant: “Okay, here you go, nice doing business with you! Sucker.
Lunar: “Okay, welcome to the team, Shia.”

Lunar: “So show me what you can do, Shia!”

Lunar: “…What? That’s all? I really feel that I got scammed. Hmm, but wait:”

Lunar: “I bet there’s more to you than you let on. I’ll train you, and if it’s the last thing I’ll do!”

Lunar: “I knew females would also appear here.”

Okay, time for the mountain.

Mt. Moon Theme

Guess it’ll be more of a cave than a mountain.

Lunar: “Hey, you’re one of the Pokémon Brock used!”

More items…

It contains Bullet Seed.

Yep, that’s a crater caused by a rock most likely from the moon.

Lunar: “I wouldn’t call myself suspicious. I’m just on my way to Cerulean City to challenge the Gym Leader there.”

Lunar: “Now, HYPER FANG, it is time to finally do as your name suggests and use Hyper Fang!”

Lunar: “That really are quite some fangs you have there. I’m proud of you!”

Lunar: “All the Harden in the world can’t help you!”

Kent: “I saw them! I’m sure they’re from Team Rocket! And yeah, you don’t seem to be part of them.”

Ah, those are always good to have.

Figures there’s bats in this cave…

Yep, already encountered one.

Lass: “me here.”

Lunar: “Oh, you have a Clefairy! Norris, take care of this!”

Iris: “I came because I heard there are some very rare fossils here.”
Lunar: “Then good luck on your search.”

And down I go.

Wow, this is really rare. Not just one, but several craters underground. This means that this place must have been hit by moon rocks since ages past…

And further down. I wonder where this leads?

Grunt: “We strike fear with our strength!”
Lunar: “So you use Pokémon to intimidate others and commit crimes?”
Grunt: “Yes indeed! So you have the choice! Either let your Pokémon get hurt badly by mine or surrender your Pokémon without a fight. I’ll win should you choose to fight, so make the sensible choice, kid.”
Lunar: “Then I’ll choose to fight! I have the Boulder Badge, me and my Pokémon are not as weak as you might think!”

Lunar: “Go, HYPER FANG! Show him the fangs of justice!”

Grunt: “Darn it all! My associates won’t stand for this!”
Lunar: “And don’t try anything funny!”

Let’s see what you have hidden here…

Oh, so down here Clefairy can appear.

And a new bug, as it seems.

Back on the ground floor…

Lunar: “A Magnemite. Never saw one before. Norris, try hitting it with your Karate Chop!”

Lunar: “Another new Pokémon, huh? A Voltorb, it seems. Try the same move!”

Jovan: “My Pokémon were not enough!”

Oh, a Rare Candy! I heard they motivate a Pokémon to become stronger simply by eating it.

Lunar: “Now that Nostredame is resting, it’s your turn to take care of the bugs, HYPER FANG! But it should be easy with your fangs.”

Lunar: “And again, it tries to stay concious.”

Robby: “Zubat is tough! But if you can catch one, you’ll be able to count on it.”
Lunar: “Eh, Atsuko was very able to take them out of the sky with her Thundershock.”

I could escape from a cave with this.

Man: “Sometimes, Brock of Pewter Gym lends me a hand.”
Lunar: “He really is a nice guy.”

Lunar: “I’m getting to see a lot of new Pokémon today. HYPER FANG, do as your name says!”

Lunar: “Oh, this Oddish can recover this way. Doesn’t matter. HYPER FANG, finish this.”

Lunar: “Ah, this is a Bellsprout! I heard that there’s a tower dedicated to them somewhere in the world.”

Miriam: “How do you get out of here? It’s so big, I may get lost.”
Lunar: “Well, where are you headed?”
Miriam: “Towards Pewter City.”

Lunar: “Okay, go this way, then go right when you can. Don’t go down the ladder, but continue straight ahead. If you follow that path, you should get to a sign that warns of Zubat. From there go left and you should see the exit.”
Miriam: “Ah, thanks!”

Another path down. I wonder…

Indeed…
Lunar: “You should stop that job, really.”

Lunar: “Atsuko, it’s your turn!”

Lunar: “Heh, a snake. How fitting.”

Grunt: “If you find a fossil, give it to me and scram! Also, I’ll remember you!”

It contains Thief. One less possibility for Team Rocket to commit crimes with their Pokémon.

Lunar: “Norris, show him your moves!”

Josh: “I came all the way down here to show off to girls.”
Lunar: “You know what would really surprise a girl and might cause her to like you? If you catch her a cute Pokémon. I hear Clefairy, which appear on the lower floors of this very cave, are liked by several girls.”
Josh: “Oh thanks, I’ll try that later!”

Hiker: “…Oh, you’re just a kid!”

Lunar: Don’t underestimate me because of that. Norris, show him what a kid can do!"

Lunar: “Heh, you remind me of Brock.”

Marcos: “Kids like you shouldn’t be wandering around here in the dark.”
Lunar: “I’ll let you know I beat Brock, the Gym Leader from Pewter City, before. Here, this is the proof of that.”
Marcos: “Oh, that’s the Boulder Badge! So you’re traveling to become the next Champ? Then you should be able to take care of yourself. If you follow this path, you should get to Cerulean City.”
Lunar: “That’s where I’m headed.”

I heard of these rocks before. It looks beautiful.

To be continued.

Voting Time
First of, which Pokémon should I catch here in Mt. Moon?

Mt. Moon

• Geodude
  • Zubat
  • Paras
  • Clefairy

0 voters

And give the new Pokémon a nice nickname.
Second, you might have seen that coming with all the talk of fossils, but we’ll get to take one soon. So which one shall it be?

Fossil

• Helix Fossil
  • Dome Fossil

0 voters

And third, like last time, who should leave the team in favor of the new one?

Who leaves?

• Genji (Squirtle)
  • Norris (Mankey)
  • HYPER FANG (Rattata)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Kanon (Jigglypuff)
  • Shia (Magikarp)

0 voters

You have roughly 48 hours, like always. See you in three days~

2 Likes

I really would like a Clefairy on the team, but I noticed a surprising lack of Grass Pokemon in the team, so I’m gonna go with Paras. Name it Mashroom.

I also want to go with the Helix Fossil because Almighty Lord Helix compels me to choose it Omastar has a pretty high special attack, but Kabutops is faster and has better physical attack, so I choose the Dome Fossil. Since we’ll end up naming it when it’s resurrected, I’ll ask to call it Scaleblades, because I can’t really think of anything else… ^^;

HYPER FANG HYPE

Well I mean I got my Rattata so I don’t care about any of these forest things.

1 Like

That’s actually more caused by the game, because Paras is the first Grass type we could catch.

1 Like

I’m voting for Zubat because that crobat speed man! Although we already have some flying type pokemons, so a geodude isn’t a bad choice either, only that I’d rather have a different rock-type one. For Zubat’s nickname, I’ll propose Sucker. If Geodude was to be elected, I’ll say a good name would be Rolling Stone or Rocky. We could also call it Pepe cause he’s buff too ^^.

I don’t really care about the fossil, so I voted the one with the least votes to add up some emotion.

About the pokemon leaving, well, that’s gotta be the Jigglypuff. I mean, the Magikarp has a lot of potential once it evolves, it just requires some love and time.

As always, good job Vyse. Keep up the updates, you are still adding the thorough commentaries and small chats between pokemon trainers, so I won’t even ask for anything more. Great work!