I Wanna Be The Very Best - Let's Play Pokémon Fire Red

Part 7: Finding Fossils

Lunar: “You’ve done some great work, but for now you’ll stay here.”

Lunar: “I have decided to catch one of you myself.”

Lunar: “And a buff name for a buff Pokémon. Welcome to the team, Pepe!”

Lunar: “You’re a great help against all those Zubat, Pepe. Keep throwing rocks at them!”

And down we go.

Grunt: “It could be bad news!”
Lunar: “Criminals shouldn’t be messing around with me! It could be bad news!”

Lunar: “Crush him with your myriad of rocks!”

Lunar: “Ouch, being on the receiving end of a Hyper Fang hurts. Come back, Pepe! And finish him, Norris!”

Lunar: “Beat that Sandshrew as well!”

Lunar: “Well done!”

Grunt: “Pokémon lived here long before people came.”

Lunar: “Shia, you are going to learn how to battle, even if I have to throw you at the opposing Pokémon!”

Lunar: “Huh, that actually worked…
Way to go!”

Grunt: “Reviving Pokémon from them will earn us huge riches!”
Lunar: “You really seem to be obsessed with the monetary value of things…”

Lunar: “This time you should be able to win, Pepe!”

Lunar: “Do the same as with all the wild ones!”

Grunt: “You made me mad! Team Rocket will blacklist you!”
Lunar: “I don’t care, wouldn’t want to be part of your little club for criminals anyway.”

Cool, another one!

Super Nerd: “Hey, stop!”

Lunar: “Couldn’t you have me one of them maybe?”
Super Nerd: “If you can beat me in battle.”

Lunar: “Use Rock Throw!”

Lunar: “You learned a new move, I can feel that, Pepe. Okay, show it to me against that Voltorb!”

Lunar: “Not bad!”

Lunar: “Hmm, this Pokémon seems to be floating. I doubt Magnitude would work there, and you don’t have enough energy for Rock Throw. Okay, use Tackle! It might take a bit longer, but your defenses should be good enough to win a battle of attrition.”

Miguel: “We’ll each take a fossil! No being greedy!”
Lunar: “Sounds fair. Hmm, I think I’ll take this one.”

Miguel obtained the Dome Fossil!
Miguel: “Far away, on Cinnabar Island, there’s a Pokémon Lab. They do research on regenerating fossils.”
Lunar: “Then I should pay them a visit at some point.”

Always useful.

And let’s exit this cave.

Wonder what these two are doing here.

Black Belt: “Packed with destructive power! When the chips are down, Mega Punch is the ultimate attack! You agree, yes?”
Lunar: “Hmm, I don’t know…
And the other one?”

Black Belt: “Packed with destructive power! When you get right down to it, Mega Kick is the ultimate attack! Don’t you agree?”
Lunar: “I’ll need to think about it. I’ll come back later!”

It contains Roar. An attack that causes the opposing Pokémon to flee.

Hmm, looks like I won’t be able to come back once I jump down here. Oh well, let’s go! Let’s see what Pokémon appear here!

Hmm?

Lunar: “You look great, Genji! So that’s what an evolution is like.”

Didn’t meet it, but according to the Pokédex, Mankey also appears here. Well, I’ll leave for the city now.

First order of business, healing my Pokémon.

And then I’ll see what Cerulean City has to offer…

With another update done, it’s,

Voting Time

Which Pokémon do we catch on Route 4?

• Rattata
  • Spearow
  • Ekans
  • Mankey

0 voters

Like alway, give me some nice nickname recommendations.

And who leaves for the new one?

• Genji (Wartortle)
  • Norris (Mankey)
  • HYPER FANG (Rattata)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Shia (Magikarp)
  • Pepe (Geodude)

0 voters

And say it all with me, you have ca. 48 hours!

On another note, with the second Pokémon sharing a name with a forum member, I’m tempted to mention that member each time it comes up :stuck_out_tongue:

Also just so you know, I won’t be able to get Pepe to his final evolution.

1 Like

That’s because Pepe’s final form is here in Kaza among us. There can’t be two ultimate Pepes.

3 Likes

Hey guys, it seems that I’ll most likely catch an Ekans next, but I still need a nickname for it. So see this as a friendly reminder to suggest one.

Ekans’ nickname was sponsored by @EisenKoubu. I asked him to post his suggestion in the thread as well, but I guess he forgot.

Part 8: Of bridges of gold

Lunar: “You’ve done some great work in Mt. Moon, Pepe, I think you should be allowed to rest for a bit.”

Old Man: “Everyone calls him a Pokémaniac! I think people are just jealous of Bill, though. Who wouldn’t want to boast about their Pokémon?”

Boy: “I heard that he’ll do whatever it takes to get rare Pokémon.”

Youngster: “Bill has lots of Pokémon! He collects rare ones, too!”

Girl: “You could get a lot more variety by trading. The Pokémon you get in trades grow quickly, too.”
Lunar: “Sadly, I don’t know anybody to trade with. I’m also quite attached to my Pokémon, so I don’t know if I’d even want to trade.”

Boy: “That way, you could get to the other side. I think there’s a way around it, though.”

…It

Music - Cerulean City

Girl: “No! You blew it again!”

Girl: “No! That’s wrong! It’s so hard to control Pokémon! Your Pokémon’s obedience depends on your abilities as a Trainer.”
Lunar: “We understand each other, right team?”

Youngster: “Collecting, battling…
It’s a tough life, isn’t it?”
Lunar: “It’s also fun and thrilling!”

The Tomboyish Mermaid!
Hmm, sounds like she specializes on Water Pokémon.

Youngster: “Put your strongest Pokémon at the left of the Pokémon List. If your first Pokémon is strong, Repel’s effect is boosted.”

Girl: “I think it makes Pokémon grow very quickly all of a sudden.”
Lunar: “Makes sense that they don’t sell it. Otherwise it would encourage training Pokémon without actually fighting, which would result in a weaker bond between the Trainer and the Pokémon. Also they wouldn’t be rare anymore if they’d be sold.”

Old Man: “Is nothing entertaining happening anywhere?”

Girl: “I’ll keep it at home, so it won’t get dirty.”
Lunar: “But why get a bicycle when you’re not going to use it?”

Okay, let’s check this shop out. Let’s see how much they cost.

Woman: “After all, you can’t put a shopping basket on a mountain bike.”

Lunar: “Oh really?”

:SunoHii:
Lunar: “Okay, I can’t afford that. Sheesh, that’s expensive!”

Lunar: “Speaking of which, there’s a Pokémon I want to catch.”

And there it is.

Lunar: “Hmm, I’ll call you Ouroboros. Welcome to the team!”
Now for some training…

So what else is in Cerulean City?

Old Woman: “You’re collecting Pokémon for your Pokédex, aren’t you?”
Lunar: “Yes, ma’am.”
Old Woman: “Would you please trade wih him?”
Lunar: “If I have what he wants, maybe.”

Old Man: “Would you agree to a trade for my Jynx?”
Lunar: “I’m very sorry, sir, but I don’t have a Poliwhirl.”

Old Man: “Using good Berry Powder, I can make any kind of medicine. Now tell me, have you any interest in Berries?”
Lunar: “Yes, a bit.”
Old Man: “Ah, good! For you, then, I have just the thing.”

Old Man: “There’s something new on the second floor of Pokémon Centers, at the Direct Corner. They installed a Wireless Adapter machine for crushing Berries. This is where you come in. I have a favor to ask, one that I can entrust only to you. Could you make Berry Powder for me using that machine? Don’t forget, the machine is at the Direct Corner of Pokémon Centers. I’ll concoct medicine for you if you bring me some Berry Powder. Don’t forget, crush Berries into Berry Powder and bring it to me.”

Looks like I’d need friends for that. Oh well, I’ve heard that those powder medicines are disliked by Pokémon anyway.

Officer: “It’s obvious that Team Rocket is behind this most heinous crime! Even our Police Force has trouble with the Rockets!”

Old Man: “I see you have at least one. Those Badges have amazing secrets, did you know? Now then. Which of the eight Badges should I describe?”
Lunar: “Just describe all of them.”
Old Man: “Okay. The Boulderbadge increases the Attack stat of all your Pokémon a little bit. It also lets you use Flash outside of battle. The Cascadebadge causes Pokémon up to Lv. 30 to obey you. That includes even outsiders you obtain in trades. Pokémon of higher levels will be unruly in battle, however. It also lets you use Cut outside of battle. The Thunderbadge increases the Speed stat of all your Pokémon a little bit. It also lets you use the move Fly outside of battle. The Rainbowbadge lets you control all Pokémon upp to Lv. 50. It also lets you use the move Strength outside of battle. The Soulbadge increases the Defense stat of all your Pokémon a little bit. It also lets you use the move Surf outside of battle. The Marshbadge causes all Pokémon up to Lv. 70 to obey you, even outsiders obtained via trading. It also lets you use the move Rock Smash outside of battle. The Volcanobadge increases the Sp. Atk and Sp. Def stats of all your Pokémon a little bit. It also lets you use the move Waterfall outside of battle. The Earthbadge causes all Pokémon to obey you!”
Lunar: “Thanks!”

Okay, now I think I’m going to visit Bill first. He lives north of here, according to the citizens.

Sol: “You’re still struggling along back here?”
Lunar: “Yo, Sol! Yeah, I’m enjoying the scenery. How’s it going?”
Sol: “I’m doing great! I caught a bunch of strong and smart Pokémon! Also some less strong for the Pokédex, so I’m not using all my Pokémon.”
Lunar: “How many are you currently using?”
Sol: “Four. Now, let me see what you cought, Lunar!”
Lunar: “Okay, I’ll use four myself then, to keep it fair.”

Lunar: “Go, Norris!”
Sol: “Go, Pidgeotto! Ah, a Mankey. Use Gust, blow him away!”

Lunar: “This won’t work out, Atsuko, you take over! Fry his bird with Thundershock!”

Sol: “I know when a battle is lost, but we won’t go down without a fight! Use Quick Attack!”

Lunar: “Same situation, just reversed. Use Quick Attack, Atsuko!”

Lunar: “Now’s your chance, Norris! Use Karate Chop!”
Sol: “Another Quick Attack before you go down, Rattata!”

Sol: “Here you see a rare Pokémon!”

Sol: “Sadly it only knows Teleport right now, but when it evolves…”
Lunar: “This is your chance to shine, Ouroboros!”

Sol: “Okay, Bulbasaur, it’s your turn!”

Sol: “Now for our secret technique: Bulbasaur, use Leech Seed!”

Sol: “Then use Sleep Powder!”

Sol: “This is a nice stalling strategy I came up with.”

Sol: “See how it weakens your Pokémon?”

Lunar: “Okay Norris, you go next! Use Fury Swipes!”

Sol: “So now it’s your last Pokémon as well.”
Lunar: “Don’t think you’ve won yet. Go Genji, he hasn’t much energy left!”

Lunar: “YES! I have won!”

Sol: “You won already! It was a good fight though. Also guess what?”

Sol: “That added a lot of pages to my Pokédex! After all, Bill’s world famous as a Pokémaniac. He invented the Pokémon Storage System on PC, too. Since you’re using his system, you should go thank him. Well, I better get rolling! Smell ya later!”

Sol: “I feel sorry for you. No, really. You’re always plodding behind me. So here, I’ll give you a little present as a favor.”

Sol: “A chatty gossip like you…
That thing’s perfect. I don’t need it because I don’t give a hoot about others. All right, this time I really am gone. Smell ya!”

So let’s see what it does…

Ah, it seems to automatically record all the information I pick up about the more known people in Kanto. Yeah, I guess it does fit me. Although I wonder why both Oak and Daisy are recorded there, but not Sol…

Music - Route 24

Bug Catcher: “Beat us five Trainers and win a fabulous prize! Think you got what it takes?”

Lunar: “This is your chance, Shia! Show these bugs your tackling prowess!”

Lunar: “Good, keep up the good work!”

Cale: “I did my best. I have no regrets!”

Lunar: “This looks more like a job for Atsuko.”

Lunar: “Okay, Ouroboros, you’re next!”

Ali: “I did my best. I have no regrets!”

Lunar: “Bite him!”

Lunar: “Heh, a mirror battle. You can do it, Ouroboros!”

Timmy: “I did my best. I have no regrets!”

Lunar: “Use Bite, like usual!”

Reli: “I did my best, so I’ve no regrets!”

Lunar: “Okay, Ouroboros, this time poison him first!”

Lunar: “Good! Now come back! Genji, you can finish this!”

Ethan: “I did my best. I have no regrets!”

Man: “You just earned a fabulous prize!”

Lunar: “Thank you.”
Man: “By the way, how would you like to join Team Rocket? We’re a group of professional criminals specializing in Pokémon! Want to join?”
Lunar: “Wow, you must really feel safe, if you can openly advertise that. There’s no way in hell I would join such a despicable organisation!”
Man: "Are you sure? Come on, join us! I’m telling you to join!

Man: “I’ll make you an offer you can’t refuse!”

Lunar: “Another mirror battle. Show him how we fight, Ouroboros!”

Lunar: “I know I called you Ouroboros, but that doesn’t mean you have to literally Bite your own tail. So snap out of it!”

Grunt: “With your ability, you’d become a top leader in Team Rocket. Come on, think of the opportunity! Don’t let this chance go to waste.”
Lunar: “If I have such big chances, I’m equally qualified to just crush your organisation for good!”

It contains Attract, a move that causes the opposing Pokémon to become infatuated if it’s from the other gender.

Lunar: “I see you got the hang of things by now, Ouroboros.”

Shane: “I hid because the people on the bridge frightened me.”
Lunar: “Don’t worry, I beat them all. They tried to recruit new members for Team Rocket.”

So let’s find out what new Pokémon appear here:

Hmm, Abra are going to be hard to catch, they flee on the first turn. Otherwise, all those bugs from the forest seem to be common here as well.

Onward, to Bill!

It’s everyone’s favorite time again! That’s right! It’s…

Voting Time

Route 24 and 25 have the exact same Pokémon appearing, so instead of letting you do the same poll twice, you just get two votes for this one:

Route 24 & 25

• Caterpie
  • Metapod
  • Weedle
  • Kakuna
  • Pidgey
  • Abra
  • Oddish

0 voters

Catching two Pokémon of course also means that two have to leave this time. So again, you get two votes.

Who leaves?

• Genji (Wartortle)
  • Norris (Mankey)
  • HYPER FANG (Rattata)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Shia (Magikarp)
  • Ouroboros (Ekans)

0 voters

It would also be nice if you can think up some nickname suggestions for the new Pokémon.

But speaking of nicknames, there are a few extra polls I’m going to let you fill this time, those are more feedback oriented, so they actually won’t be public for once.

First off, for this update I almost had no suggested nickname. Here my question is, should that happen again, how should I act? Should I…

• …try to think up a nickname myself.
  • …wait until someone of you recommends one.

0 voters

Mind that if you choose the latter, I am going to continue to bug you guys in extra posts like I last did.

And my second question is in regards to the update schedule. As you may have noticed, I’m currently posting on a three day basis, and my question basically is if that’s okay or if it’s too fast.

Regarding the schedule…

• A new part every three days is okay, continue as you have.
  • It’s a bit too fast for me, could you go with a weekly schedule instead, please?

0 voters

Here I’ll probably go for weekly even if it’s only chosen by a minority, since slowing down shouldn’t hurt those that are okay with the current schedule.

So I’ll see you in the next part, you have the usual 48 hours plus minus a few for the Pokémon votes for now. I’ll leave the feedback polls open for longer, though.

1 Like

http://puu.sh/hhvH1.ogg :masdum:

I’m happy you remembered about it, at least. IRL problems are kinda more important right now, but I apologize for not upholding my end of the bargain.

I chose Oddish and Abra, which I want named Toba and NotHypno, respectively. Kinda surprised that stupid fish is still in the party somehow… ._.

Also, I don’t think you should wait for people to tell you how you should run this project. Asking people for suggestions is fine, but if no one’s willing to offer anything, you should be able to keep moving without us. I sincerely believe you are creative enough to come up with nicknames for your Pokemon, and you are intelligent enough to come up with a schedule that is most convenient for you. If you’d rather go weekly, go weekly. I chose to keep it to the three-day schedule, but if you’d rather go weekly, be my guest. As far as I know, I’m not going anywhere. :slight_smile:

Gonna drop my suggested nicknames here:

For a Metapod or Kakuna, call them bastion, fortress, adamantium or Helm’s deep (if this last one fits).
For Abra, maybe Spoon guy/girl.
For Oddish, strangish could be a nice idea (or a horrible one, depending on how you look at it). Do it for the puns Vyse!

Part 9: The Pokémaniac

Lunar: “Okay Shia, you got some experience in battle now, so let those experiences sink in for a while.”

Lunar: “Ouroboros, you did some good work on Nugget Bridge, but for now I’ll let you rest as well.”

Now let’s try to catch an Abra.

First try.

Lunar: “Damn it.”

Second try.

Lunar: “There we go! You will be called Spoon Girl. Welcome to the team!”

And here I’ll catch an Oddish I think.

Lunar: “I’ll call you Strangish. Is that an odd name? Well, whatever. Welcome to the team!”

Lunar: “As for now, Spoon Girl, get me out of here!”

And with Strangish I don’t even need to walk through grass that much anymore:

As for the rest of the training:

Lunar: “Now you deserve your name.”

Lunar: “Okay, that’s enough training. Onward to Bill!”

Lunar: “Strangish, first poison him, then Absorb his energy!”

Lunar: “For this one, Absorb is enough!”

Franklin: “Drat! A Zubat bit me back in that cave.”
Lunar: “That must’ve hurt…”

Lunar: “Use Absorb, Strangish!”

Wayne: “The trail below is a shortcut to Cerulean City.”
Lunar: “Good to know.”

Lunar: Then I’ll practice with you, if you don’t mind."

Lunar: “Show him your psychic powers, Spoon Girl!”

Joey: “All Pokémon have weaknesses. Even the strongest ones. That’s why it’s best to raise Pokémon of different types.”
Lunar: “At least someone who get’s it.”

Lunar: “Use Confusion, Spoon Girl!”

Lunar: “Huh, you’re full of surprises. Have some psychic powers of your own, haven’t you?”

Dan: “On the S.S. Anne, I saw Trainers from around the world.”
Lunar: “Sounds like a place I might want to check out. But alas, I doubt I have enough money to buy a ticket for a luxus cruise.”

Lunar: “Time for more Confusion, don’t you think, Spoon Girl?”

Kelsey: “I wish my boyfriend was as good as you.”

Lunar: “This is your element! Drain them of their energy, Strangish!”

Lunar: “For this one, start with poison again!”

Nob: “The Pokémaniac sure lives up to his name. His collection includes many rare species of Pokémon.”

Lunar: “Your girlfriend already said that I’m stronger than you, do you still want to battle?”
Camper: “Especially now, after you said that!”

Lunar: “I say it’s time for some more HYPER FANG action!”

Lunar: “You only survived thanks to Intimidate.”

Flint: “Oh well. My girlfriend will cheer me up.”
Lunar: “Probably. Love must be nice.”

Lunar: “Also thanks for letting me through!”

It contains Secret Power. I hear this move is needed in the Hoehn region to create Secret Bases.

Pretty active, this boy.

Lunar: “Time for some more electricity! Go, Atsuko, use Thundershock!”

Lunar: “Oh. You won’t be able to do much here, come back! It’s your turn, Genji!”

Lunar: “Use Water Gun!”

Chad: “If your Pokémon gets confused, switch it out. That’s a good tactic.”
Lunar: “I’ll keep it in mind.”

Lunar: “Spoon Girl, use Confusion!”

Haley: “You came from Mt. Moon? May I have a Clefairy?”
Lunar: “Sorry, didn’t catch one.”

Girl: “Misty, the Gym Leader, has high hopes about this place.”

Boy: “If you’re out at Cerulean’s cape…
Well, it should be as a couple.”
Lunar: “I only came here because I heard that Bill, the inventor of the PC Storage System, lives here.”

But wait, if Misty has high hopes about this place, this means she visits here often. And Bill lives alone here. Could it be that Misty and Bill…
Nah!

But it is a nice view.

Pretty chaotic in here…

Lunar: “Woah, a speaking Pokémon!”

Lunar: “I’m kinda doubting my sanity right now.”
Bill: “Hey! What’s with that skeptical look? I’m not joshing you, pal. I screwed up an experiment and got combined with a Pokémon! So how about it? Help me out here!”
Lunar: “Okay, I’ll try to help. What do I need to do?”
Bill: “Wait till I get inside the Teleporter. When I do, go to my PC and run the Cell Separation System.”
Lunar: “Okay, got it.”

Bill: “So, did you come to see my Pokémon collection?”
Lunar: “Not really, I just wanted to say thanks for the Storage System.”
Bill: “Oh no problem! But still, you didn’t come for my collection? That’s a bummer. I’ve got to thank you…
Oh, here, maybe this’ll do.”

Bill: “That cruise ship S.S. Anne is in Vermilion City. I hear there are lots of Trainers on board, too. They invited me to their party, but I can’t stand fancy do’s. Why don’t you go instead of me? Go on and have a good time.”
Lunar: “Thank you very much, I was already thinking about going for that cruise anyway. Still:”

Bill: "Go on, check out my PC.

Eevee:

Flareon:

Jolteon:

Vaporeon:

Okay, I’ve visited Bill, now it is time to finally challenge Misty.

Okay, from now on I’ll try to post a new update on every Sunday, this should give you more time for voting as well. Speaking of which, this is the first full team vote: You get to choose which Pokémon I take with me to Misty. The chosen team will then continue the journey as well, so this is your chance to get old members back in, if you want. And don’t worry about the lower levels of the reserves, should you choose one of them, I’ll train them up to speed with the rest of the team. With other words, you have 6 votes.

Who should accompany me to Misty?

• Genji (Wartortle)
  • Nostredame (Pidgey)
  • Norris (Mankey)
  • HYPER FANG (Rattata)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Kanon (Jigglypuff)
  • Shia (Magikarp)
  • Pepe (Geodude)
  • Ouroboros (Ekans)
  • Spoon Girl (Abra)
  • Strangish (Oddish)

0 voters

On a lighter note, do you remember when in the last part Lunar was asked if he’d like to become a member of Team Rocket? I’ve read that there are people who would’ve liked to say yes to that offer and I’m curious if someone among you would have liked to say yes as well, and if so, I’d be interested in the reasons as to why he or she would want that.

Second, I hinted at the possibility of a certain pairing, and I’m honestly curious, is Misty x Bill a pairing that is shipped?

Anyway, I’ll see you next Sunday!

2 Likes
Part 10: Flushing Misty away

Lunar: “Alright, Kanon, Strangish, Spoon Girl, Ouroboros, Genji, Atsuko, I’ll take you six with me to the second Gym. But first, I’d say Kanon needs a little training.”

Lunar: “Ready, everyone?”

He’s indeed faster than me.

Man: “Let me give you some advice! The Leader, Misty, is a pro who uses Water-type Pokémon. You can drain all their water with Grass-type Pokémon. Or, you might use Electric-type Pokémon and zap them!”
Lunar: “Thanks for the advise. I’ll see you again after I beat Misty.”

Lunar: “But nothing happened.”
Swimmer: “I’m first up! Let’s do it!”

Lunar: “Okay Kanon, first try to put it to sleep!”

Lunar: “And then use Pound!”

Lunar: “Huh, it woke up fast.”

Lunar: “You did great, Kanon! Now it’s your turn, Spoon Girl!”

Lunar: “You’re supposed to use Confusion, not suffer from it.”

Lunar: “There we go!”

Luis: “Misty is a Trainer who’s going to keep improving. She won’t lose to someone like you!”

Picnicker: “Misty won’t have to be bothered.”

Lunar: “Go Genji, use Tackle!”

Lunar: “This might take a while.”

Lunar: “Nice! Now bring this to an end!”

Diana: “You have to face other Trainers to see how good you really are.”

Misty: “Only those Trainers who have a policy about Pokémon can turn pro. What is your approach when you catch and train Pokémon?”
Lunar: “Well, I try to have a diversive team. So what’s yours?”
Misty: “My policy is an all-out offensive with Water-type Pokémon!”

Click this link for music

Lunar: “Okay Strangish, like the kind man at the entrance said, drain all its water! Use Absorb!”

Lunar: “This one looks sturdier, so use Poison Powder first!”

Lunar: “Ouch, these attacks hurt.”

Lunar: “Come back! Go Atsuko, zap it with Thundershock!”

Lunar: “And it truly was the combined effort of Strangish and Atsuko.”

Misty: “All right! You can have the Cascadebadge to show you beat me. The Cascadebadge makes all Pokémon up to Lv. 30 obey. That includes even outsiders you got in trades. There’s more. You can now use Cut anytime, even out of battle. You can Cut down small trees to open new pathways. You can also have my favorite TM.”

Misty: “TM03 teaches Water Pulse. Use it on an aquatic Pokémon!”

Man: “You and me, kid, we make a pretty darn-good team! So tell me, did you learn anything new on your travels?”
Lunar: “Yeah, I learned that I can’t just depend on one single Pokémon. Only with the support of both Strangish and Atsuko, my Oddish and Pikachu you see, was I able to beat Misty.”
Man: “Thank you for the small interview. Okay, I bet I’ll see you again. Good luck, champ in the making!”
Lunar: “Thanks. Bye!”

So where to next?

I could go east to reach Lavender Town…

…or I could go south to reach Saffron City.

Wait, if I go further south, I’ll reach Vermillion City, and I’ve got a ticket for the S.S. Anne which is docked there, so that’ll be my next goal.

Ah, now I can enter here.

Lunar: “Beware, puns.”

Man: “Look what they’ve done to my house! They stole a TM for teaching Pokémon how to Dig holes! I was going to use it on a Mankey or Sandshrew…
That cost me a bundle, it did!”

Seems like the perpetrator didn’t get far.

Grunt: “…Huh? Me? I’m an innocent bystander! Don’t you believe me?”
Lunar: “And you’re only wearing this uniform for shits and giggles, sure…”

Lunar: “Ouroboros, use Poison Sting!”

Lunar: “This really is going to take a while.”

Lunar: “Now use Bite!”

Grunt: “…Okay. I’ll return the TM I stole.”

Grunt: “I better get moving! Bye!”

Lunar: “But I got your TM right here, you can have it back.”
Man: “I don’t need it anymore, so keep it. I decided to teach a Diglett how to Dig without a TM.”

Heh, I couldn’t even go east.

And the wild Pokémon on this Route:

Also a new move.

Only Meowth is new.

I wonder who lives here.

Lunar: “Nah, I raise my Pokémon myself.”

But if I’m here, might as well check out Saffron City.

Officer: “Oh, wait there, the road’s closed.”
…Or I don’t visit Saffron City. Oh well.

Then the underground passage it is.

Voting Time

This time back to the same kind of votes we had before, even though I already have an idea what you’re going to vote for one of them. Still, what should I catch on Route 5?

• Pidgey
  • Meowth
  • Oddish

0 voters

Like always, suggest nicknames for the new Pokémon.

And then there’s of course the usual question of who leaves for the time being?

• Genji (Wartortle)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Kanon (Jigglypuff)
  • Ouroboros (Ekans)
  • Spoon Girl (Kadabra)
  • Strangish (Oddish)

0 voters

There won’t be a new part next week because it’s christmas and I’m quite busy then, there might however be another poll depending on the resuts of this one. So you have one week for voting.

3 Likes

I’m voting for Oddish, that’s what you get for assuming what people will vote for. And I want it to be called Rebel.

1 Like

I vote Meowth. Call it Maddie, after the one true Meowth. :stuck_out_tongue:

I vote for Meowth. Me and my friends in Florida Panama always discussed what is the best pokemon for them and the majority is always Meowth. - Gustavo Woltmann

MEOWTH that’s RIght!
__
“—Amy said that would be an imprudent expense; but as soon as he had got a good price for a book. Will not the publishers be kind? If they knew what happiness lurked in embryo within their foolish cheque-books!”

• George Gissing, New Grub Street

So a merry (belated) Christmas to everyone.

As I said, no update, but another poll. I’ll catch Meowth on Route 5, so I’ll already have all Pokémon that appear on Route 6. On Route 6 the same Pokémon as in Route 5 appear (i.e. Meowth, Oddish and Pidgey). However, Route 6 has access to water, so the question is should I catch a Pokémon now or should I wait until I have access to fishing and surfing and catch one later? The result of this poll won’t affect the length of the next update, so you don’t have to take that into consideration when choosing.

• Catch a Pokémon now, even though it means having one Pokémon twice.
  • Catch a Pokémon later, when you have access to fishing and surfing.

0 voters

Happy new year everyone, sorry ít took so long, real life and me only starting on Sunday came in the way.
So before I started to write this update I asked for inspiration on discord and @LinkThinks delivered:

You decide if it helped.

Part 11a: Captains aren't what they used to be

Lunar: “Genji, you have accompanied me since the beginning of my journey, so you really ought to catch a break.”

Lunar: “Hmm, you’ll be called Maddie. Welcome to the team!”

While training

And now let’s enter this underground passage.

Girl: “Want to trade it for my Nidoran♀?”
Lunar: “Sorry, I don’t have a Nidoran, neither male nor female.”
Girl: “That’s too bad.”

Lunar: “Okay Maddie, show me what you got!”

Lunar: “Good job, continue with the scratching.”

Keigo: “I like bugs, so I’m going back to Viridian Forest.”
Lunar: “Good luck, then.”

Camper Ricky would like to battle!

Lunar: “Okay, come back Maddie, it’s your turn, Atsuko.”

Lunar: “Kanon, pound him to dust!”

Ricky & Nancy: “Whisper…
Whisper…”
Lunar: “Well, you continue your conversation.”

Lunar: “I think so.”

Lunar: “Nice!”

Lunar: “Very nice!”

Elijah: “Are my Pokémon weak? Or, am I just bad? Which do you think?”
Lunar: “Well, first you should catch some more Pokémon. You can be as good as you want, with only one Pokémon you won’t be able to compete against someone with six.”

Picknicker Isabelle would like to battle!

Lunar: “Like always, use Confusion!”

Lunar: “Okay, try Psybeam now!”

Isabelle: “Things just didn’t work…”

Lunar: “I just battled other Pokémon and Trainers, oh, and I have a diversive team.”

Lunar: “Spoon Girl, use Psybeam!”

Lunar: “Oh, it’s still concious!”

Lunar: “Overkill much?”

Jeff: “I should bring more Pokémon with me. I’ll feel safer that way.”
Lunar: “Good idea.”

Vermilion City Theme

Girl: “We’ve heard Grimer multiplies in toxic sludge.”

Lunar: “No, but I heard of it.”

Like always, first stop: Pokémon Center.

Lunar: “Good thing I’m carrying antidotes with me.”

Woman: “Have you ever had that urge? I’m sure you have. I wanted to battle certain people again over and over, too. So, I’ve been giving these away. Please, take one!”

Woman: “Use that device and you’ll find Trainers looking for a rematch. You have to charge its battery to use it, though.”
Lunar: “This’ll probably be useful. Thanks! And how do I charge the battery?”
Woman: “Just walk around a bit.”

Man: “…stats and abilities. A Pokémon raised by a Trainer is stronger than one in the wild.”
Lunar: “I wonder when people will be able to measure how much a trained Pokémon is stronger than a wild one…”

Youngster: “But, all Pokémon will have weak points against specific types. So, there appears to be no universally strong Pokémon.”
Lunar: “That’s actually not entirely true. I read that there’s a Pokémon in the Hoenn region that has no type specific weaknesses. It isn’t the strongest Pokémon in existence though, so your last point still stands.”

Fishing Guru: “I simply looove fishing! I can’t bear to go without. Tell me, do you like to fish?”
Lunar: “A little bit?”
Fishing Guru: “Grand! I like your style. I think we can be friends. Take this and fish, young friend!”

Fishing Guru: “Fishing is a way of life! It is like the finest poetry. From the seas to rivers, go out and land the big one, my friend.”

Maddie: “Meowth!”
Lunar: “Huh, what is it?”

Lunar: “Nice, where did you pick that up? Anyway, let’s try this whole fishing thing.”

Lunar: “Okay, that does it. I really was scammed.”

Old Man: “My Pokémon is tamping the land to lay the foundation.”
Lunar: “I heard that Pokémon also help out with chores, I guess now I see it in action.”

Lunar: “Definitely.”

Man: “Team Rocket traffics in rare Pokémon, for example. They also abandon Pokémon that they consider unpopular or useless. That’s the sort of horrid people they are, Team Rocket.”
Lunar: “Man, the list of bad things they do never ends.”

Girl: “I send my Pidgey to a Union Room to exchange Mail for me.”

Let’s see what he wrote…

“I heard Saffron has problems with Team Rocket. Vermilion appears to be safe.”
I wonder if I’ll meet this Pippi when I get to Saffron.

Girl: “Want to trade it for my Farfetch’d?”
Lunar: “Sorry, I don’t have a Spearow.”
Girl: “That’s too bad.”

Sounds interesting.

Girl: “It squeals, “Kyuuuh,” when I hug it!”

Man: “My Pikachu is twice as cute as that one!”
Lunar: “Well, that’s your opinion.”

Chairman: “I raise more than a hundred Pokémon!”
Lunar: “That’s a lot!”
Chairman: “I’m very fussy when it comes to Pokémon! I surely am! So…
Did you come visit to hear about my Pokémon?”
Lunar: “Might as well tell me about them.”
Chairman: “Good! Then listen up! My favorite Rapidash… It’s cute… lovely… smart… plus… amazing… you think so?.. oh yes… it’s… stunning… kindly… love it! Hug it… when… sleeping… warm and cuddly… spectacular… ravishing…
…Oops! Look at the time! I kept you too long! Thanks for hearing me out! I want you to have this!”

Chairman: “Take that Bike Voucher to the Bike Shop in Cerulean City. Exchange that for a Bicycle free of charge! Don’t worry, my favorite Fearow will Fly me anywhere I need to go. So, I have no need for a Bicycle. I hope you like cycling!”

At least I got something out of this. Remind me to never speak to this guy again.

“The Lightning American!”

Looks like the Gym is inaccessible.

Well, let’s check out the harbor.

Sailor: “It visits Vermilion once a year.”

Sailor: “Excuse me, do you have a ticket?”
Lunar: “Yes, right here!”
Sailor: “Great! Welcome to the S.S. Anne!”

Yeah, definitely looks stunning.
S.S. Anne Theme

Sailor: “You might be challenged by the more bored ones!”
Lunar: “Nice, Pokémon Battles are always fun.”

Le Waiter: “I will be happy to serve you anything you please!”
Lunar: “Mmh.”
Le Waiter: “Ah! Le strong silent type!”

Well, let’s check the rooms from left to right.

First Room:

Policeman: “I’m on the trail of Team Rocket. They’re up to nothing good!”
Lunar: “You are terrible at your job. Imagine I’d be a Rocket. Your cover would now be blown.”

Second Room:

Lunar: “Ah, sorry about that, Strangish, but your odds are bad against this one. Spoon Girl, you go instead! Use Psy Beam!”

Tyler: “Listen, listen! Let me be your friend, okay? Then we can trade Pokémon and do stuff.”
Lunar: “But you’re on a cruise. We probably won’t meet again.”

Lunar: “Man, you really have no luck with your opponents. I’ll have to switch for Atsuko.”

Ann: “You hurt my poor Pokémon! I demand that you heal them at a Pokémon Center!”
Lunar: “I’m sorry, but that’s kind of the result of a battle.”
Ann: “But if you had let me win this wouldn’t have happened!”

Third Room:

Fourth Room:

Lunar: “I’m not a waiter though.”

Lunar: “Hey, le waiter, there’s a girl in this room that wants a cherry pie, I thought you fulfill everyone’s wishes?”
Le Waiter: “Oh, her parents told me that she already ate 3 slices, so she shouldn’t get more.”

Fifth Room:

Lunar: “Strangish, you really have the worst enemies today. Spoon Girl, your turn again!”

Arthur: “I wish to be left alone! Get out!”
Lunar: “I’m going, I’m going!”

Sixth Room:

Seventh Room:

Gentleman: “My sole companions and friends are Pokémon I caught on my journeys…”

Lunar: “Okay Maddie, use Bite!”

Thomas: “You should be nice to friends!”
Lunar: “Remember though, that your Pokémon are not my friends.”

Continued in the next post, and sorry that I reached the character limit.

2 Likes
Part 11b: Captains aren't what they used to be

And downstairs:

Who throws away a Hyper Potion?
Anyway, this time from right to left.

First Room:

Boy: “He has enough Strength to move big rocks!”
Lunar: “Sounds like something I’ll have to do in the future.”

Second Room:

Lunar: “Finally a battle for you, Strangish! Use Absorb!”

Lunar: “Okay, this one is more suited for Atsuko to beat.”

Duncan: “Did you see the Fishing Guru in Vermilion City?”
Lunar: “Yeah, he gave me a really old Fishing Rod that really only attracts Magikarp.”

Lunar: “Didn’t even have to tell you something.”

Leonard: “Hahaha! Want to be a sailor, mate?”
Lunar: “Nah, I’m already fully occupied with becoming Champ.”

Third Room:

Lunar: “And again, Absorb their energy!”

Dylan: “Sea Pokémon live in deep water. You’ll need a Rod to fish them up!”
Lunar: “But a better one than the one I have.”

Fourth Room:

Lunar: “Atsuko, use Thundershock!”

Huey: “We caught all our Pokémon while we were out at sea.”
Lunar: “That’s why you all have Water Pokémon.”

It contains Rest, a move that heals a Pokémon fully but also puts it to sleep for two turns.

Fifth Room:

Lunar: “Oh, you actually don’t have a Water Pokémon! Still, Atsuko, use Thundershock!”

Lunar: “Well, you at least did some damage and even paralyzed him. It’s your turn, Spoon Girl!”

Lunar: “You’re talking about Tentacool, right? Also I thought this is a cruise ship, not a pirate ship.”
Phillip: “Yes, that’s it’s name. And I just always wanted to say that. I didn’t mean it.”

Lunar: “Another one, Maddie?”

Fisherman: “I can’t tell if you’re from the seas or mountains, but stop and chat. All my Pokémon are from the sea.”

Lunar: “Use Psybeam!”

Lunar: “Okay, for this one I’ll switch to Strangish.”

Barny: “I was going to make you my assistant, too!”
Lunar: “Thanks, but no thanks.”

Well, let’s check out the galley.

Cook: “Out of the way!”
Lunar: “Okay okay…”

Le Chef: “Le main course is Eels au Barbecue! Les guests will mutiny, I fear.”
Lunar: “Why don’t you serve something else then?”
Le Chef: “But le Eel!”

Cook: “I only get to peel onions… Snivel…”
Lunar: “Oh don’t try to hide it, you’ve been playing CLANNAD, haven’t you?”

Cook: “Did you hear about Snorlax?”
Lunar: “No I didn’t.”
Cook: “It’s a glutton. No other Pokémon eats and sleeps the way Snorlax can and does!”

Cook: “I peel spuds every day! Hum-hum…”

And now for upstairs.

Sailor: “At every port, we hold parties with invited Trainers.”
Lunar: “Oh, so this ticket isn’t even for the cruise itself. Then I should leave before this ship departs I guess.”

And more rooms. Again, from left to right.

First Room:

Gentleman: “…any Pokémon sleep like this one!”

Lunar: “Ah, considering the other guy’s information, this is most likely a Snorlax.”

Second Room:

Lunar: “Use Pound, Kanon!”

Dale: “Party? The cruise ship’s party should be over by now.”
Lunar: “That explains why everyone is in their cabin. But why hasn’t the ship left yet?”

Lunar: “Okay Ouroboros, use Bite!”

Lunar: “Ouroboros, come back! It’s your turn, Strangish!”

Brooks: “Fifteen years ago, I would have won!”
Lunar: “Yeah, but only because I wasn’t alive then, so you’d have won by default.”

Third Room:

Lunar: “I’ll need that, because admittedly I can’t swim.”

Old Man: “But remember this! Cut is an HM technique. Once learned, it is not so easily discarded.”
Lunar: “Sounds like I should think hard whom I’ll teach HM moves.”

Fourth Room:

Lunar: “Strong Pokémon are often the more rare ones, so it’s kinda a moot point.”

Lunar: “I guess as a psychic type you already know what I want you to do, Spoon Girl.”

Lunar: “Like last battle, but I don’t need to tell you, as you have shown.”

Lamar: “Personally, I prefer strong and rare Pokémon.”
Lunar: “Like I said, the two often overlap.”
Dawn: “Oh, I adore your strong Pokémon! Oh, how I envy you for them!”

Fifth Room:

Boy: “I wish we could go there again.”

Lunar: “No I haven’t. What’s so special about it?”
Man: “There are many kinds of rare Pokémon.”
Lunar: “So a place worth checking out.”

Sixth Room:

Lunar: “That explains the ship not yet leaving, but seriously, a captain suffering seasickness?”

Sol: “Imagine seeing you here! Lunar, were you really invited?”
Lunar: “No, Bill gave me his invitation. But you were invited?”
Sol: “Yeah, I’m Prof. Oak’s grandson after all. So how’s your Pokédex coming?”
Lunar: “Well, I have 15 entries. I didn’t really concentrate on filling it, though. How about you?”
Sol: “I already caught 40 kinds, pal. Different kinds are everywhere. Crawl around in grassy areas, and look hard for them. But you concentrated on training a few, right? So let me see how they fare in battle!”

Sol: “Go, Pidgeotto!”
Lunar: “Go, Maddie! Use Bite!”

Lunar: “I have my own stalling strategy now, and unlike yours, it immediately does damage.”

Sol: “Okay, you defeated Pidgeotto, but how are you going to fare against my Raticate? Its Hyper Fang will destroy you!”

Lunar: “Not before I get some damage in.”

Lunar: “Hmm, Hyper Fang is going to hurt no matter whom I send in next. It’s decided, Atsuko, zap him with Thundershock!”

Sol: “So you beat my Raticate. But how will you handle Kadabra?”

Lunar: “Good, it’s almost beaten. Kanon, you do the rest!”

Sol: “So it’s down to my last, huh? Well, then it’s time for Ivysaur to shine.”

Sol: “Does this seem familiar?”
Lunar: “Yes, but don’t think you can do that with all my Pokémon.”

Lunar: “See, I even got an attack in before Kanon fainted!”

Lunar: “And, well, I have a Kadabra myself. It’s your turn, Spoon Girl!”

Sol: “I heard there was a Cut master on board. But he was just a seasick old man! Cut itself is really handy. Yup, it’ll be handy. You should go see him, too. Smell ya!”
Lunar: “Bye Sol, we’ll meet again!”
But before I visit the captain, I’ll check the deck.

Sailor: “They say he even teaches Cut to Pokémon!”

Fisherman: “I got seasick, so I stepped out to get some air…”
Lunar: “You’re at least not used to ships and therefore have an excuse, but that the captain’s seasick…”

Lunar: “You battled a Machop before, so you know what to do.”

Lunar: “Use Bite against this one.”

Trevor: “My pa said there are 100 kinds of Pokémon. I think there are more.”
Lunar: “Guess Sol has his work cut out for him.”

Lunar: “But first the captain has to be cured from his seasickness.”

Sailor: “Let’s do a little jig!”
Sailor Edmond would like to battle!

Lunar: “Agreed, Strangish will show you the dance of absorption.”

Edmond: “How many kinds of Pokémon do you think there are in this big world?”
Lunar: “I say over 100 in Kanto alone, and probably at least 800 if we talk about the whole world.”

Lunar: “I am the king of the world!”

Well, now I really should look for the captain.

Captain: “Urrp! Seasick…”

Maybe this helps?

Captain: “You want to see my hidden Cut technique? I could show you my prized Cut technique if I weren’t so ill… I know! You can have this! This Hidden Machine! Teach Cut to your Pokémon, and you can see it Cut anytime!”

Captain: "Using Cut, you can chop down small trees. Why not try it with the trees around Vermilion City?

Guess he suffers from this on a regular basis…

S.S. Anne setting sail

And there she goes…

Well, next up, Vermilion Gym!

This time, on Voting Time

You get to decide who the sacrificial lucky Pokémon learning Cut is going to be. From all the Pokémon we caught, Strangish, HYPERFANG and Maddie are able to learn it.

Who learns Cut?

• HYPERFANG (Rattata)
  • Strangish (Gloom)
  • Maddie (Meowth)

0 voters

Then you also get to vote for the accompanying Pokémon to Lt. Surge. Since the Pokémon learning Cut has to accompany me you only get five votes though.

Who goes to the Gym?

• Genji (Wartortle)
  • Nostredame (Pidgey)
  • Norris (Mankey)
  • HYPERFANG (Rattata)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Kanon (Jigglytuff)
  • Shia (Magikarp)
  • Pepe (Geodude)
  • Ouroboros (Ekans)
  • Spoon Girl (Kadabra)
  • Strangish (Gloom)
  • Maddie (Meowth)

0 voters

Then a few musings from me: Back when I played the first generation as a child, I always thought that the S.S. Anne sinks on it’s voyage after it leaves Vermilion. I don’t know why, I just always thought that.

Anyway, hopefully the next update will actually be published on Sunday.

3 Likes

Ah, I thought that too, although I was afraid it would sink while I was on it. Seems the anime was pretty influential to us both. ^^;

1 Like
Part 12: A shockingly frustrating door lock

Lunar: “Okay, for this Gym my team consists of Strangish, Atsuko, Pepe, Spoon Girl, HYPER FANG and Maddie to get to the Gym.”

First though, some training.

Okay, that’s enough.

Lunar: “Maddie, you’re up!”

Man: “Lt. Surge has a nickname. People refer to him as the Lightning American! He’s an expert on electric Pokémon. Bird/Water-type Pokémon match poorly against the Electric type. Beware of paralysis, too. Lt. Surge is very cautious. He’s locked himself in, so it won’t be easy getting to him.”

Lunar: “It’s been too long, HYPER FANG. But like back then, use Hyper Fang!”

Lunar: “Good, I see you didn’t get rusty!”

Lunar: “Ah well, can’t be helped.”

Dwayne: “Lt. Surge installed the traps in the Gym himself. He set up double locks everywhere. Let me give you a hint. When you open the first lock, the second lock is right next to it.”
Lunar: “Thanks, now it’s the matter of finding the locks in the first place.”

Engineer: “That’s why I joined this Gym.”

Lunar: “Hyper Fang away!”

Lunar: “Still standing, eh? Follow up with a Quick Attack!”

Lunar: “It may not be very effective, but it’s still considerable damage.”

Baily: “Okay, I’ll talk! Lt. Surge said he hid door switches inside something.”
Lunar: “Inside something? Hopefully not…”

Gentleman: “He was a hard taskmaster.”

Lunar: “It may be of a higher level, but if it can withstand HYPER FANG’s Fangs?”

Lunar: “I guess not.”

Tucker: “It’s not easy opening that door. Lt. Surge was always famous for his cautious nature in the Army.”
Lunar: “Ugh, there’s the barrier I need to find those locks for.”

Lunar: “And that’s all of the room. So the only thing he could hide them in, are…”

Lunar: “Phew, at least this trash is only old paper.”

Lunar: “Gotcha! So now next to it. Let’s try south.”

BZZZZ

Lunar: “Guess there’s only enough time to check one direction.”

A lot of trash-checking later…

Lunar: “Finally!”

Lt. Surge: “You won’t live long in combat! Not with your puny power! I tell you, kid, electric Pokémon saved me during the war! They zapped my enemies into paralysis! The same I’ll do to you!”

Want to hear fitting music? Then click here!

Lunar: “Then I’ll just drain you of your electricity. Pepe, show him how buff you are and shake the ground with Magnitude!”

Lunar: “Trying to evade the ground? It’s futile.”

Lunar: “Again?”

Lunar: “Huh, guess you could evade it by jumping very high maybe.”

Lunar: “Still, it’s only delaying the inevitable.”

Lt. Surge: “You’re the real deal, kid! Fine, then, take the Thunderbadge! The Thunderbadge cranks up your Pokémon’s Speed! It also lets your Pokémon Fly lightning-quick anytime, kid! You’re special, kid! Take this!”

Lt. Surge: “TM34 contains Shock Wave! Teach it to an Electric Pokémon!”

Man: “This time I’d like to hear more about yourself. Like, where are you from and how did you grow up?”
Lunar: “Well, I’m from Pallet Town. I grew up with my mom and my best friend and rival is the grandson of Prof. Oak, so I was in contact with Pokémon for my entire life. I also watched some Pokémon battles on TV and always dreamed of fighting alongside Pokémon myself. And now this dream came true! Does this suffice?”
Man: “Yes, thank you. See you in Celadon!”

Now for the next city.

“Route 12 may be blocked off by a sleeping Pokémon. Detour through Rock Tunnel to Lavender Town. Vermilion Police”
Huh, guess I might have to make a detour. Well, let’s check anyway, maybe it’s currently not there."

Route 11 Theme

Lunar: “Okay, right now Cut is your strongest move, so use that!”

Eddie: “I did my best. I have no regrets.”
Lunar: “Uh, the nugget bridge is north of Cerulean.”

Lunar: “I doubt it, you face the winner of three Gyms.”

Lunar: “Cut this foe as well, Maddie!”

Dillon: “What now? Leave me alone!”

Lunar: “Atsuko, use Thundershock!”

Lunar: “Ugh, it just has a sliver of health left. Use Quick Attack!”

Lunar: “…in retrospect, not the wisest choice.”

Dave: “Tch… I better go find stronger ones!”

Lunar: “Electric vs. electric really isn’t the best matchup. Pepe, it’s your turn! Use Magnitude!”

Braxton: “Spread the word to save energy!”

Lunar: “Gamer?”

Lunar: “Doesn’t matter, electric moves count as special.”

Lunar: “Ouch, that means burns.”

Lunar: “That may look bad, but with a few Absorbs you should win, Strangish.”

Lunar: “AHAHAHAHA!!!”

Darian: “I was unlucky, as always.”
Lunar: “There’s not that much luck involved in Pokémon battles, though.”

Lunar: “Don’t you mean…”

Lunar: “Best choice would be Tackle, I guess. So use that, Pepe!”

Lunar: “For this one you can use Magnitude, though.”

Jasper: “You can’t be a coward in the world of Pokémon!”

Lunar: “Pepe, use Magnitude! Let the earth tremble!”

Bernie: “Well, better get back to work.”

Lunar: “…Gambler?”

Lunar: “Apply Fang to opposing Pokémon, preferably with Hyper strength.”

Hugo: “Pokémon is life! And to live is to play games!”
Lunar: “You mean to gamble, don’t you? Please don’t teach the other kids these things.”

Lunar: “I’m the best in my entire city!”

Lunar: “Look at this puny Rattata! Does it have a chance against my HYPER FANG?”

Lunar: “The answer is ‘No’.”

Lunar: “Not even that Raticate stood a chance.”

Yasu: “There’s a fat Pokémon that comes down from the mountains. I bet it’d be strong if you can catch it.”

Lunar: “No that’s clearly supposed to be ‘Gambler’.”

Lunar: “You know the deal, HYPER FANG.”

Dirk: “You were just lucky, that’s all.”
Lunar: “Like I said to the other Gambler, there’s not much luck involved.”

Suspicious…

Officer: “You can get to Rock Tunnel from Cerulean City.”

Officer: “Especially if you’ve caught a whole bunch?”
Lunar: “I don’t know, I’ll ask my muses later.”
Officer: “Well, in Lavender Town, there’s a man who rates Pokémon nicknames. He can even help you rename your Pokémon, too.”

Youngster: “Wanna trade one for my Nidorina?”
Lunar: “I don’t have one.”
Youngster: “Awww! Oh, well…”

Aide: “If your Pokédex has complete data on 30 species, I’m supposed to give you a reward. Prof. Oak entrusted me with the Itemfinder for you. So, Lunar, let me ask you. Have you gathered data on at least 30 kinds of Pokémon?”
Lunar: “Wait a moment, let me check…
No, sorry, only 16.”
Aide: “…Oh. I see. When you get 30 kinds of Pokémon, come back for the Itemfinder.”

Lunar: “Ah, dammit. Guess I’ll have to go back to Cerulean.”

But for now let’s check the wild Pokémon of Route 11.

And then I guess I’ll first check out Diglett’s Cave…

Are you happy, @Kanon?

Anyway, Voting Time

This time there’s again two regions to pick a Pokémon for. Route 11 and Diglett’s Cave. You just saw the options for Route 11. In Diglett’s Cave I could either catch a Diglett, or its evolution, Dugtrio. So, choose wisely!

Route 11

• Spearow
  • Ekans
  • Drowzee

0 voters

Diglett’s Cave

• Diglett
  • Dugtrio

0 voters

Also choose which two Pokémon leave the active team this time. Maddie has to stay though, because I need Cut in the next part.

Who leaves?

• HYPER FANG (Raticate)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Pepe (Geodude)
  • Spoon Girl (Kadabra)
  • Strangish (Gloom)

0 voters

Like always, please suggest nicknames if you have any ideas. Speaking of which, time for a silly poll:

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Feel free to say a bit more about your thought process when you think up a nickname.
Well, see you next Sunday!

2 Likes

You guys jelly of that hyper fang yet?

1 Like

I think they’re so jelly they promptly voted him off the team again.

Part 13: Just another day in the life of a Pokémon Trainer

Lunar: “You did a great job at Vermilion Gym, HYPER FANG, so you deserve the rest.”

Lunar: “And you, Strangish, did a great job on board S.S. Anne, so have a nice rest as well.”

Lunar: “I’ll call you Nastasia. Welcome to the team!”

So now I want to catch one of those Digletts.

Old Man: “It goes right to Viridian City, they tell me.”
Lunar: “I might as well check back there later, but for now I’m only here for a Diglett.”

Lunar: “And there it is.”

Lunar: “You’ll be called Gnome, so welcome to the team, Gnome!”

Training intermission

Lunar: “Okay, now it’s time to venture through Diglett’s Cave.”

Hiker: “If I could get a Pokémon to use Flash and light it up…”
Lunar: “Sounds like I’ll need that soon, I have to go through Rock Tunnel to get to Lavender Town, after all.”

Lunar: “And indeed, I’m back at Route 2!”

Scientist: “It can still use moves like Cut outside of battle.”

Boy: “Wanna trade one for my Mr. Mime?”
Lunar: “First off, my Abra already evolved, second, I’d honestly like to keep it, so I’m sorry, but no.”
Boy: “Awww! Oh, well…”

Lunar: “Well, you still know how tu Cut, right Maddie?”

Aide: “If your Pokédex has complete data on ten species, I’m supposed to give you a reward. Prof. Oak entrusted me with HM05 for you. So, Lunar, let me ask you. Have you gathered data on at least ten kinds of Pokémon?”
Lunar: “Yes, I got data on 18 different species!”
Aide: “Great! Congratulations! Here you go!”

Aide: “HM05 contains the hidden move Flash. Flash lights up even the darkest of caves and dungeons.”
Lunar: “Good, now there’s nothing in the way of exploring Rock Tunnel!”

Lunar: “Well, while I’m back here, might as well check out some of the areas that were blocked of by bushes.”

Man: “I had this weird dream about a Drowzee eating my dream. And… I learned how to eat dreams… Oogh, this is too spooky! Let me teach it to a Pokémon so I can forget about it!”
Lunar: “Okay. Nastasia, since you’re a Drowzee, you get to learn that move.”

Man: “…ZZZ… I… can’t eat… anymore…”

Now there was another bush back in Pewter City.

There it is.

Scientist: “There are so many things about which we know so little. But that should spur us to study harder, not toss in the towel. The only thing you should toss…
Well, how about Seismic Toss? Should I teach that to a Pokémon?”
Lunar: “No, I don’t really need it.”

Receptionist: “Oh, whatever! Do you know what Amber is?”
Lunar: “Yeah, it’s basically kind of like tree’s blood, isn’t it? And it can trap insects and preserve them, I think.”
Receptionist: “Right, Amber contains the genetic matter of ancient Pokémon. There’s a Lab somewhere trying to resurrect Pokémon from Amber.”

Scientist: “I think this chunk of Amber contains Pokémon DNA! It would be a shattering scientific breakthrough if Pokémon could be resurrected from it. But, my colleagues just ignore what I have to say. So, I have a favor to ask! I want you to get this examined at a Pokémon Lab somewhere.”
Lunar: “Consider it done, with any luck, I might get a Pokémon out of this.”

“Special Feature: Pewter Gym Leader Brock!
Brock rarely laughs, but is said to be unable to stop if he starts.”
Interesting. Well, time to go back to Vermilion.

Oh hey, and look what I found in its Pokémon Center!
“Special Feature: Vermilion Gym Leader Lt. Surge!
Lt. Surge is rumored to have been a pilot while home in America. He used the electricity generated by Pokémon to power his plane.”
So I guess Electric Types really did save him in a way.

Wait, this guy wasn’t here before…

Aide: “It’s me, one of Prof. Oak’s Aides. Did you meet the other Aide?”
Lunar: “Which one, there’s several of you guys.”
Aide: “He had a package from Prof. Oak for you, Lunar. He said he’d look for you around Route 2, Lunar. If you’re in the Route 2 area, please look for him.”
Lunar: “Ah, that one! Yeah, I already met him.”

Now that I’m back at Cerulean, might as well put that Bike Voucher to use.

Clerk: “Okay! Here you go!”

Clerk: “Thank you! Come back again sometime!”

Lunar: “Whoo, Cycling is fun!”

Lunar: “Your turn, Maddie!”

Lunar: “Okay, Nastasia, this is your first Trainer Battle. Use Confusion!”

Lunar: “Nice!”

Lunar: “Okay, this time I want you to test out Dream Eater, so put it to sleep with Hypnosis first!”

Lunar: “And finish this up with some more Confusion!”

Alicia: “The tunnel coming up is pitch-black inside. You’ll need Flash to get through there.”

Lunar: “Now it’s your time to shine, Gnome! Use Magnitude!”

Lunar: “And finish it up with Scratch!”

Jeremy: “Oh wait. I’m out of Pokémon! You sure had guts standing up to me there, eh?”
Lunar: “You get used to it when you’re facing a criminal organization on a regular basis.”

It contains Aerial Ace.

Lunar: “It’s not only the looks that are good.”

Lunar: “With your attack cut, use Bite!”

Lunar: “Ah well, you did what you could. Gnome, finish this up with Magnitude!”

Chris: “Keep walking!”

Lunar: “This is a job for your Rock Throw, Pepe!”

Brent: “I have to collect more than bugs to get stronger…”
Lunar: “Another Bug Catcher that understands this simple fact, nice!”

So let’s see what wild Pokémon appear on this Route.

Spearow is the only one I haven’t caught of these yet.

Lunar: “Another job for your Magnitudes, Gnome!”

Alan: “Hahahaha! Us hearty guys always laugh!”

Lunar: “You should be able to take care of these bugs, Maddie, especially since they’re not evolved.”

Lunar: “Oh, this one’s new.”

Conner: “If you don’t like Bug Pokémon, you bug me!”
Kricketune.wav

Lunar: “Okay Nastasia, use Confusion again!”

Lunar: “Almost!”

Lunar: “Well, this works too.”

Drew: “Are you off to Rock Tunnel, too?”
Lunar: “Yes. Already got Flash to find my way around.”

Lunar: “This time I’m letting you take care of the Hiker as well, Nastasia.”

Brice: “Hahaha! Kids should be tough!”

Lunar: “So let’s see whose Meowth is the stronger one!”

Lunar: “Looks good for mine!”

Caitlin: “You’re obviously talented. Good luck to you!”

And what wild Pokémon appear on Route 10?

That Pokéball Pokémon looks interesting. Well, let’s visit the Pokémon Center on this Route.

Aide: “It’s me, one of the ever-present Aides to Prof. Oak. If your Pokédex has complete data on twenty species, I’m supposed to give you a reward from Prof. Oak. He entrusted me with this Everstone. So, Lunar, let me ask you. Have you gathered data on at least twenty kinds of Pokémon?”
Lunar: “Not quite.”
Aide: “…Oh. I see. When you get 20 kinds of Pokémon, come back for the Everstone.”

Lunar: “Spooky.”

Gentleman: “Every type is stronger than some types and weaker than others.”

Lunar: “That’s a lot of cash.”

So now to decide who learns Flash…

Voting Time

First off, who gets to learn Flash? If you’re curious, Flash is like Sand Attack: It lowers accuracy and does nothing else.

Who learns Flash?

• Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Maddie (Meowth)
  • Spoon Girl (Kadabra)
  • Nastasia (Drowzee)
  • Kanon (Jigglypuff)
  • Strangish (Gloom)

0 voters

Second, new Pokémon. Choose the new Pokémon for both Route 9 and 10!

Route 9

• Spearow
  • Ekans
  • Rattata

0 voters

Route 10

• Spearow
  • Voltorb
  • Ekans

0 voters

Two new Pokémon of course means that two other Pokémon have to leave the team for now. I won’t need Cut in the next part, so Maddie is free to go, but keep in mind that I might have to do some further switching depending on who learns Flash.

Who leaves?

• Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Pepe (Geodude)
  • Spoon Girl (Kadabra)
  • Maddie (Meowth)
  • Nastasia (Drowzee)
  • Gnome (Diglett)

0 voters

And I’d be very glad if you could suggest nicknames for the new Pokémon, even if it’s hard for you. Oh, and as long as you don’t suggest any names, you don’t really have a right to complain about the names I give, so if you don’t like those, see it as an incentive to suggest names.

By the way, fun fact: Drowzee does not learn Dream Eater by level up, even though its Pokédex entry states that it eats dreams.

4 Likes

Then let Spearow be Golgo! And Voltorb – ShinyHead.

1 Like

Just call Voltorb “ball”. Edit: Ignore this, ballsy’s name idea convinced me.
Ekans can just be “snake” because fuck calling things backwards.

1 Like

The capitalization here is very important, they must be lower case.

1 Like