I Wanna Be The Very Best - Let's Play Pokémon Fire Red

You should be able to change your vote by clicking “hide results” then re-choosing.

:open_mouth: Thank you! Jigglypuff was always one of those Pokémon that I dismissed, but playing Jiggly in Smash got me to like them a bit more. He’s my meme pick. Normal Pokémon are always a bit of a hindrance type-wise so that should add some challenge.

3 Likes
Part 5: Short Battles

And the adventure continues

Lunar: “Go Atsuko, electrocute this bird!”

Lunar: “The other one too!”

Janice: “You shouldn’t be staring if you don’t want to battle!”
Lunar: “Right back at’cha, because I do want to battle.”

Lunar: “You eat these bugs for breakfast, Nostredame!”

Colton: “There are other kinds of Pokémon than the ones you find in forests.”
Lunar: “And yet you use the ones from the forest. Also, I don’t remember beating you before…”

Youngster: “They’re delightfully comfy and easy to wear!”

Lunar: “Ouch, that hurt. Norris, it’s your turn!”

Lunar: “And Scratch that Ekans to bits!”

Ben: “Are you using a Pokémon Center’s PC for storing your Pokémon? Each Box can hold up to 30 Pokémon.”
Lunar: “I don’t even have a full team yet, but good to know.”

Bug Catcher Greg would like to battle!
Lunar: “That’ll be more bugs, Nostredame, it’s probably second nature for you by now.”

Greg: “If a Pokémon Box on the PC gets full, just switch to another Box.”
Lunar: “Got it. And I recommend you to catch a Geodude, that should cover some of your team’s weaknesses.”

Lunar: “Atsuko, I choose you! Show her how shocking you can be!”

Lunar: “Okay, you should be able to weather one more hit, so paralyze that Nidoran and after you’re hit again I’ll switch you out.”

Lunar: “…or you don’t get hit at all. Good work!”

Sally: “You can avoid battles by not letting Trainers see you.”
Lunar: “But that would be boring.”

:SunoHii:

Lunar: “Look Atsuko, there’s another bird to fry with electricity!”

Calvin: “I always wear shorts, even in winter. That’s my policy.”
Lunar: “Whatever floats your boat, but I’ll stay with my jeans, thank you very much.”

Bug Catcher James would like to battle!
Lunar: “Look who happily crawled before your beak, Nostredame!”

Lunar: “Guess we skipped lunch.”
James: “Trained Pokémon are stronger than the wild ones.”
Speaking of wild Pokémon:

Ohh, cute, gimme~

I think someone fell in love…

Lunar: “I’ll call you Kanon, so that you will one day be able to sing the one from Pachelbel.”

Lunar: “You’re not ready for Trainer battles yet, so come back! And you, Norris, are going to show that Jigglypuff your fighting moves!”

Robin: “Route 4 is at the foot of Mt. Moon.”
And back to battling wild Pokémon here.

I bet the female one also appears here, but it seems to be very rare…

Lunar: “Oh nice, now you can fight for yourself, Kanon!”

Youngster: "That tunnel from Cerulean takes a lot out of you!

Boy: “Brock is cool. He’s not just tough. People like and respect him. I want to become a Gym Leader like him.”
Lunar: “Good luck, then!”

This just looked too suspicious.

Boy: “Yeah, that’ll do it. At most, you can have six Pokémon with you.”
Lunar: “So I reached the maximum capacity for my team.”

Youngster: “In that case, you should just store some using any PC.”

Old Man: “Not a day goes by without Team Rocket being in the news.”
Lunar: “Hey, that headline’s interesting: ‘Young Trainer beats Gym Leader Brock’”
Old Man: “Hm? Oh yeah, some new Trainer from Pallet town, apparently he was brimming with excitement. He also said that he’s planning to become the next champ. Hah, to be young again…”

Lunar: “Sounds tempting…”

So yeah, I’ll buy a Magikarp at the start of the next update. Please give him a nice nickname. I also thought a while how I want to work with new Pokémon now that I have a team of six. And I’ve come to a decision: I want to have the new Pokémon to get a chance to perform in the team, so each time I’ll catch a new Pokémon from now on, you get to choose who from our active team gets benched, or rather boxed, if we wanna use Pokémon terminology. Also don’t worry, there’ll be extra voting from all our Pokémon for the Gyms as well.
So, who should leave the team in favor of Magikarp for now?

• Genji (Squirtle)
  • Nostredame (Pidgey)
  • Norris (Mankey)
  • HYPER FANG (Rattata)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Kanon (Jigglypuff)

0 voters

Like always, you have ca. 48 hours. I have also updated the OP with my current team.

2 Likes

I vote to name your magikarp Shia, because he doesn’t let his dreams be dreams

2 Likes

Yup, +1 for Shia, perfect name for a Magikarp. Another option would be naming it Magicrap and changing its name later on when it evolves to Gyarados.

Part 6: Enter Team Rocket

But first, I’ll need some space in my team.

You can store Pokémon here, right?

Lunar: “You did great so far and were a good help against all those Bug Catchers, but for now I’ll let you rest in this Box.”

Lunar: “Yeah, yeah, I know. Just shut up and take my money.”
Merchant: “Okay, here you go, nice doing business with you! Sucker.
Lunar: “Okay, welcome to the team, Shia.”

Lunar: “So show me what you can do, Shia!”

Lunar: “…What? That’s all? I really feel that I got scammed. Hmm, but wait:”

Lunar: “I bet there’s more to you than you let on. I’ll train you, and if it’s the last thing I’ll do!”

Lunar: “I knew females would also appear here.”

Okay, time for the mountain.

Mt. Moon Theme

Guess it’ll be more of a cave than a mountain.

Lunar: “Hey, you’re one of the Pokémon Brock used!”

More items…

It contains Bullet Seed.

Yep, that’s a crater caused by a rock most likely from the moon.

Lunar: “I wouldn’t call myself suspicious. I’m just on my way to Cerulean City to challenge the Gym Leader there.”

Lunar: “Now, HYPER FANG, it is time to finally do as your name suggests and use Hyper Fang!”

Lunar: “That really are quite some fangs you have there. I’m proud of you!”

Lunar: “All the Harden in the world can’t help you!”

Kent: “I saw them! I’m sure they’re from Team Rocket! And yeah, you don’t seem to be part of them.”

Ah, those are always good to have.

Figures there’s bats in this cave…

Yep, already encountered one.

Lass: “me here.”

Lunar: “Oh, you have a Clefairy! Norris, take care of this!”

Iris: “I came because I heard there are some very rare fossils here.”
Lunar: “Then good luck on your search.”

And down I go.

Wow, this is really rare. Not just one, but several craters underground. This means that this place must have been hit by moon rocks since ages past…

And further down. I wonder where this leads?

Grunt: “We strike fear with our strength!”
Lunar: “So you use Pokémon to intimidate others and commit crimes?”
Grunt: “Yes indeed! So you have the choice! Either let your Pokémon get hurt badly by mine or surrender your Pokémon without a fight. I’ll win should you choose to fight, so make the sensible choice, kid.”
Lunar: “Then I’ll choose to fight! I have the Boulder Badge, me and my Pokémon are not as weak as you might think!”

Lunar: “Go, HYPER FANG! Show him the fangs of justice!”

Grunt: “Darn it all! My associates won’t stand for this!”
Lunar: “And don’t try anything funny!”

Let’s see what you have hidden here…

Oh, so down here Clefairy can appear.

And a new bug, as it seems.

Back on the ground floor…

Lunar: “A Magnemite. Never saw one before. Norris, try hitting it with your Karate Chop!”

Lunar: “Another new Pokémon, huh? A Voltorb, it seems. Try the same move!”

Jovan: “My Pokémon were not enough!”

Oh, a Rare Candy! I heard they motivate a Pokémon to become stronger simply by eating it.

Lunar: “Now that Nostredame is resting, it’s your turn to take care of the bugs, HYPER FANG! But it should be easy with your fangs.”

Lunar: “And again, it tries to stay concious.”

Robby: “Zubat is tough! But if you can catch one, you’ll be able to count on it.”
Lunar: “Eh, Atsuko was very able to take them out of the sky with her Thundershock.”

I could escape from a cave with this.

Man: “Sometimes, Brock of Pewter Gym lends me a hand.”
Lunar: “He really is a nice guy.”

Lunar: “I’m getting to see a lot of new Pokémon today. HYPER FANG, do as your name says!”

Lunar: “Oh, this Oddish can recover this way. Doesn’t matter. HYPER FANG, finish this.”

Lunar: “Ah, this is a Bellsprout! I heard that there’s a tower dedicated to them somewhere in the world.”

Miriam: “How do you get out of here? It’s so big, I may get lost.”
Lunar: “Well, where are you headed?”
Miriam: “Towards Pewter City.”

Lunar: “Okay, go this way, then go right when you can. Don’t go down the ladder, but continue straight ahead. If you follow that path, you should get to a sign that warns of Zubat. From there go left and you should see the exit.”
Miriam: “Ah, thanks!”

Another path down. I wonder…

Indeed…
Lunar: “You should stop that job, really.”

Lunar: “Atsuko, it’s your turn!”

Lunar: “Heh, a snake. How fitting.”

Grunt: “If you find a fossil, give it to me and scram! Also, I’ll remember you!”

It contains Thief. One less possibility for Team Rocket to commit crimes with their Pokémon.

Lunar: “Norris, show him your moves!”

Josh: “I came all the way down here to show off to girls.”
Lunar: “You know what would really surprise a girl and might cause her to like you? If you catch her a cute Pokémon. I hear Clefairy, which appear on the lower floors of this very cave, are liked by several girls.”
Josh: “Oh thanks, I’ll try that later!”

Hiker: “…Oh, you’re just a kid!”

Lunar: Don’t underestimate me because of that. Norris, show him what a kid can do!"

Lunar: “Heh, you remind me of Brock.”

Marcos: “Kids like you shouldn’t be wandering around here in the dark.”
Lunar: “I’ll let you know I beat Brock, the Gym Leader from Pewter City, before. Here, this is the proof of that.”
Marcos: “Oh, that’s the Boulder Badge! So you’re traveling to become the next Champ? Then you should be able to take care of yourself. If you follow this path, you should get to Cerulean City.”
Lunar: “That’s where I’m headed.”

I heard of these rocks before. It looks beautiful.

To be continued.

Voting Time
First of, which Pokémon should I catch here in Mt. Moon?

Mt. Moon

• Geodude
  • Zubat
  • Paras
  • Clefairy

0 voters

And give the new Pokémon a nice nickname.
Second, you might have seen that coming with all the talk of fossils, but we’ll get to take one soon. So which one shall it be?

Fossil

• Helix Fossil
  • Dome Fossil

0 voters

And third, like last time, who should leave the team in favor of the new one?

Who leaves?

• Genji (Squirtle)
  • Norris (Mankey)
  • HYPER FANG (Rattata)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Kanon (Jigglypuff)
  • Shia (Magikarp)

0 voters

You have roughly 48 hours, like always. See you in three days~

2 Likes

I really would like a Clefairy on the team, but I noticed a surprising lack of Grass Pokemon in the team, so I’m gonna go with Paras. Name it Mashroom.

I also want to go with the Helix Fossil because Almighty Lord Helix compels me to choose it Omastar has a pretty high special attack, but Kabutops is faster and has better physical attack, so I choose the Dome Fossil. Since we’ll end up naming it when it’s resurrected, I’ll ask to call it Scaleblades, because I can’t really think of anything else… ^^;

HYPER FANG HYPE

Well I mean I got my Rattata so I don’t care about any of these forest things.

1 Like

That’s actually more caused by the game, because Paras is the first Grass type we could catch.

1 Like

I’m voting for Zubat because that crobat speed man! Although we already have some flying type pokemons, so a geodude isn’t a bad choice either, only that I’d rather have a different rock-type one. For Zubat’s nickname, I’ll propose Sucker. If Geodude was to be elected, I’ll say a good name would be Rolling Stone or Rocky. We could also call it Pepe cause he’s buff too ^^.

I don’t really care about the fossil, so I voted the one with the least votes to add up some emotion.

About the pokemon leaving, well, that’s gotta be the Jigglypuff. I mean, the Magikarp has a lot of potential once it evolves, it just requires some love and time.

As always, good job Vyse. Keep up the updates, you are still adding the thorough commentaries and small chats between pokemon trainers, so I won’t even ask for anything more. Great work!

Part 7: Finding Fossils

Lunar: “You’ve done some great work, but for now you’ll stay here.”

Lunar: “I have decided to catch one of you myself.”

Lunar: “And a buff name for a buff Pokémon. Welcome to the team, Pepe!”

Lunar: “You’re a great help against all those Zubat, Pepe. Keep throwing rocks at them!”

And down we go.

Grunt: “It could be bad news!”
Lunar: “Criminals shouldn’t be messing around with me! It could be bad news!”

Lunar: “Crush him with your myriad of rocks!”

Lunar: “Ouch, being on the receiving end of a Hyper Fang hurts. Come back, Pepe! And finish him, Norris!”

Lunar: “Beat that Sandshrew as well!”

Lunar: “Well done!”

Grunt: “Pokémon lived here long before people came.”

Lunar: “Shia, you are going to learn how to battle, even if I have to throw you at the opposing Pokémon!”

Lunar: “Huh, that actually worked…
Way to go!”

Grunt: “Reviving Pokémon from them will earn us huge riches!”
Lunar: “You really seem to be obsessed with the monetary value of things…”

Lunar: “This time you should be able to win, Pepe!”

Lunar: “Do the same as with all the wild ones!”

Grunt: “You made me mad! Team Rocket will blacklist you!”
Lunar: “I don’t care, wouldn’t want to be part of your little club for criminals anyway.”

Cool, another one!

Super Nerd: “Hey, stop!”

Lunar: “Couldn’t you have me one of them maybe?”
Super Nerd: “If you can beat me in battle.”

Lunar: “Use Rock Throw!”

Lunar: “You learned a new move, I can feel that, Pepe. Okay, show it to me against that Voltorb!”

Lunar: “Not bad!”

Lunar: “Hmm, this Pokémon seems to be floating. I doubt Magnitude would work there, and you don’t have enough energy for Rock Throw. Okay, use Tackle! It might take a bit longer, but your defenses should be good enough to win a battle of attrition.”

Miguel: “We’ll each take a fossil! No being greedy!”
Lunar: “Sounds fair. Hmm, I think I’ll take this one.”

Miguel obtained the Dome Fossil!
Miguel: “Far away, on Cinnabar Island, there’s a Pokémon Lab. They do research on regenerating fossils.”
Lunar: “Then I should pay them a visit at some point.”

Always useful.

And let’s exit this cave.

Wonder what these two are doing here.

Black Belt: “Packed with destructive power! When the chips are down, Mega Punch is the ultimate attack! You agree, yes?”
Lunar: “Hmm, I don’t know…
And the other one?”

Black Belt: “Packed with destructive power! When you get right down to it, Mega Kick is the ultimate attack! Don’t you agree?”
Lunar: “I’ll need to think about it. I’ll come back later!”

It contains Roar. An attack that causes the opposing Pokémon to flee.

Hmm, looks like I won’t be able to come back once I jump down here. Oh well, let’s go! Let’s see what Pokémon appear here!

Hmm?

Lunar: “You look great, Genji! So that’s what an evolution is like.”

Didn’t meet it, but according to the Pokédex, Mankey also appears here. Well, I’ll leave for the city now.

First order of business, healing my Pokémon.

And then I’ll see what Cerulean City has to offer…

With another update done, it’s,

Voting Time

Which Pokémon do we catch on Route 4?

• Rattata
  • Spearow
  • Ekans
  • Mankey

0 voters

Like alway, give me some nice nickname recommendations.

And who leaves for the new one?

• Genji (Wartortle)
  • Norris (Mankey)
  • HYPER FANG (Rattata)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Shia (Magikarp)
  • Pepe (Geodude)

0 voters

And say it all with me, you have ca. 48 hours!

On another note, with the second Pokémon sharing a name with a forum member, I’m tempted to mention that member each time it comes up :stuck_out_tongue:

Also just so you know, I won’t be able to get Pepe to his final evolution.

1 Like

That’s because Pepe’s final form is here in Kaza among us. There can’t be two ultimate Pepes.

3 Likes

Hey guys, it seems that I’ll most likely catch an Ekans next, but I still need a nickname for it. So see this as a friendly reminder to suggest one.

Ekans’ nickname was sponsored by @EisenKoubu. I asked him to post his suggestion in the thread as well, but I guess he forgot.

Part 8: Of bridges of gold

Lunar: “You’ve done some great work in Mt. Moon, Pepe, I think you should be allowed to rest for a bit.”

Old Man: “Everyone calls him a Pokémaniac! I think people are just jealous of Bill, though. Who wouldn’t want to boast about their Pokémon?”

Boy: “I heard that he’ll do whatever it takes to get rare Pokémon.”

Youngster: “Bill has lots of Pokémon! He collects rare ones, too!”

Girl: “You could get a lot more variety by trading. The Pokémon you get in trades grow quickly, too.”
Lunar: “Sadly, I don’t know anybody to trade with. I’m also quite attached to my Pokémon, so I don’t know if I’d even want to trade.”

Boy: “That way, you could get to the other side. I think there’s a way around it, though.”

…It

Music - Cerulean City

Girl: “No! You blew it again!”

Girl: “No! That’s wrong! It’s so hard to control Pokémon! Your Pokémon’s obedience depends on your abilities as a Trainer.”
Lunar: “We understand each other, right team?”

Youngster: “Collecting, battling…
It’s a tough life, isn’t it?”
Lunar: “It’s also fun and thrilling!”

The Tomboyish Mermaid!
Hmm, sounds like she specializes on Water Pokémon.

Youngster: “Put your strongest Pokémon at the left of the Pokémon List. If your first Pokémon is strong, Repel’s effect is boosted.”

Girl: “I think it makes Pokémon grow very quickly all of a sudden.”
Lunar: “Makes sense that they don’t sell it. Otherwise it would encourage training Pokémon without actually fighting, which would result in a weaker bond between the Trainer and the Pokémon. Also they wouldn’t be rare anymore if they’d be sold.”

Old Man: “Is nothing entertaining happening anywhere?”

Girl: “I’ll keep it at home, so it won’t get dirty.”
Lunar: “But why get a bicycle when you’re not going to use it?”

Okay, let’s check this shop out. Let’s see how much they cost.

Woman: “After all, you can’t put a shopping basket on a mountain bike.”

Lunar: “Oh really?”

:SunoHii:
Lunar: “Okay, I can’t afford that. Sheesh, that’s expensive!”

Lunar: “Speaking of which, there’s a Pokémon I want to catch.”

And there it is.

Lunar: “Hmm, I’ll call you Ouroboros. Welcome to the team!”
Now for some training…

So what else is in Cerulean City?

Old Woman: “You’re collecting Pokémon for your Pokédex, aren’t you?”
Lunar: “Yes, ma’am.”
Old Woman: “Would you please trade wih him?”
Lunar: “If I have what he wants, maybe.”

Old Man: “Would you agree to a trade for my Jynx?”
Lunar: “I’m very sorry, sir, but I don’t have a Poliwhirl.”

Old Man: “Using good Berry Powder, I can make any kind of medicine. Now tell me, have you any interest in Berries?”
Lunar: “Yes, a bit.”
Old Man: “Ah, good! For you, then, I have just the thing.”

Old Man: “There’s something new on the second floor of Pokémon Centers, at the Direct Corner. They installed a Wireless Adapter machine for crushing Berries. This is where you come in. I have a favor to ask, one that I can entrust only to you. Could you make Berry Powder for me using that machine? Don’t forget, the machine is at the Direct Corner of Pokémon Centers. I’ll concoct medicine for you if you bring me some Berry Powder. Don’t forget, crush Berries into Berry Powder and bring it to me.”

Looks like I’d need friends for that. Oh well, I’ve heard that those powder medicines are disliked by Pokémon anyway.

Officer: “It’s obvious that Team Rocket is behind this most heinous crime! Even our Police Force has trouble with the Rockets!”

Old Man: “I see you have at least one. Those Badges have amazing secrets, did you know? Now then. Which of the eight Badges should I describe?”
Lunar: “Just describe all of them.”
Old Man: “Okay. The Boulderbadge increases the Attack stat of all your Pokémon a little bit. It also lets you use Flash outside of battle. The Cascadebadge causes Pokémon up to Lv. 30 to obey you. That includes even outsiders you obtain in trades. Pokémon of higher levels will be unruly in battle, however. It also lets you use Cut outside of battle. The Thunderbadge increases the Speed stat of all your Pokémon a little bit. It also lets you use the move Fly outside of battle. The Rainbowbadge lets you control all Pokémon upp to Lv. 50. It also lets you use the move Strength outside of battle. The Soulbadge increases the Defense stat of all your Pokémon a little bit. It also lets you use the move Surf outside of battle. The Marshbadge causes all Pokémon up to Lv. 70 to obey you, even outsiders obtained via trading. It also lets you use the move Rock Smash outside of battle. The Volcanobadge increases the Sp. Atk and Sp. Def stats of all your Pokémon a little bit. It also lets you use the move Waterfall outside of battle. The Earthbadge causes all Pokémon to obey you!”
Lunar: “Thanks!”

Okay, now I think I’m going to visit Bill first. He lives north of here, according to the citizens.

Sol: “You’re still struggling along back here?”
Lunar: “Yo, Sol! Yeah, I’m enjoying the scenery. How’s it going?”
Sol: “I’m doing great! I caught a bunch of strong and smart Pokémon! Also some less strong for the Pokédex, so I’m not using all my Pokémon.”
Lunar: “How many are you currently using?”
Sol: “Four. Now, let me see what you cought, Lunar!”
Lunar: “Okay, I’ll use four myself then, to keep it fair.”

Lunar: “Go, Norris!”
Sol: “Go, Pidgeotto! Ah, a Mankey. Use Gust, blow him away!”

Lunar: “This won’t work out, Atsuko, you take over! Fry his bird with Thundershock!”

Sol: “I know when a battle is lost, but we won’t go down without a fight! Use Quick Attack!”

Lunar: “Same situation, just reversed. Use Quick Attack, Atsuko!”

Lunar: “Now’s your chance, Norris! Use Karate Chop!”
Sol: “Another Quick Attack before you go down, Rattata!”

Sol: “Here you see a rare Pokémon!”

Sol: “Sadly it only knows Teleport right now, but when it evolves…”
Lunar: “This is your chance to shine, Ouroboros!”

Sol: “Okay, Bulbasaur, it’s your turn!”

Sol: “Now for our secret technique: Bulbasaur, use Leech Seed!”

Sol: “Then use Sleep Powder!”

Sol: “This is a nice stalling strategy I came up with.”

Sol: “See how it weakens your Pokémon?”

Lunar: “Okay Norris, you go next! Use Fury Swipes!”

Sol: “So now it’s your last Pokémon as well.”
Lunar: “Don’t think you’ve won yet. Go Genji, he hasn’t much energy left!”

Lunar: “YES! I have won!”

Sol: “You won already! It was a good fight though. Also guess what?”

Sol: “That added a lot of pages to my Pokédex! After all, Bill’s world famous as a Pokémaniac. He invented the Pokémon Storage System on PC, too. Since you’re using his system, you should go thank him. Well, I better get rolling! Smell ya later!”

Sol: “I feel sorry for you. No, really. You’re always plodding behind me. So here, I’ll give you a little present as a favor.”

Sol: “A chatty gossip like you…
That thing’s perfect. I don’t need it because I don’t give a hoot about others. All right, this time I really am gone. Smell ya!”

So let’s see what it does…

Ah, it seems to automatically record all the information I pick up about the more known people in Kanto. Yeah, I guess it does fit me. Although I wonder why both Oak and Daisy are recorded there, but not Sol…

Music - Route 24

Bug Catcher: “Beat us five Trainers and win a fabulous prize! Think you got what it takes?”

Lunar: “This is your chance, Shia! Show these bugs your tackling prowess!”

Lunar: “Good, keep up the good work!”

Cale: “I did my best. I have no regrets!”

Lunar: “This looks more like a job for Atsuko.”

Lunar: “Okay, Ouroboros, you’re next!”

Ali: “I did my best. I have no regrets!”

Lunar: “Bite him!”

Lunar: “Heh, a mirror battle. You can do it, Ouroboros!”

Timmy: “I did my best. I have no regrets!”

Lunar: “Use Bite, like usual!”

Reli: “I did my best, so I’ve no regrets!”

Lunar: “Okay, Ouroboros, this time poison him first!”

Lunar: “Good! Now come back! Genji, you can finish this!”

Ethan: “I did my best. I have no regrets!”

Man: “You just earned a fabulous prize!”

Lunar: “Thank you.”
Man: “By the way, how would you like to join Team Rocket? We’re a group of professional criminals specializing in Pokémon! Want to join?”
Lunar: “Wow, you must really feel safe, if you can openly advertise that. There’s no way in hell I would join such a despicable organisation!”
Man: "Are you sure? Come on, join us! I’m telling you to join!

Man: “I’ll make you an offer you can’t refuse!”

Lunar: “Another mirror battle. Show him how we fight, Ouroboros!”

Lunar: “I know I called you Ouroboros, but that doesn’t mean you have to literally Bite your own tail. So snap out of it!”

Grunt: “With your ability, you’d become a top leader in Team Rocket. Come on, think of the opportunity! Don’t let this chance go to waste.”
Lunar: “If I have such big chances, I’m equally qualified to just crush your organisation for good!”

It contains Attract, a move that causes the opposing Pokémon to become infatuated if it’s from the other gender.

Lunar: “I see you got the hang of things by now, Ouroboros.”

Shane: “I hid because the people on the bridge frightened me.”
Lunar: “Don’t worry, I beat them all. They tried to recruit new members for Team Rocket.”

So let’s find out what new Pokémon appear here:

Hmm, Abra are going to be hard to catch, they flee on the first turn. Otherwise, all those bugs from the forest seem to be common here as well.

Onward, to Bill!

It’s everyone’s favorite time again! That’s right! It’s…

Voting Time

Route 24 and 25 have the exact same Pokémon appearing, so instead of letting you do the same poll twice, you just get two votes for this one:

Route 24 & 25

• Caterpie
  • Metapod
  • Weedle
  • Kakuna
  • Pidgey
  • Abra
  • Oddish

0 voters

Catching two Pokémon of course also means that two have to leave this time. So again, you get two votes.

Who leaves?

• Genji (Wartortle)
  • Norris (Mankey)
  • HYPER FANG (Rattata)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Shia (Magikarp)
  • Ouroboros (Ekans)

0 voters

It would also be nice if you can think up some nickname suggestions for the new Pokémon.

But speaking of nicknames, there are a few extra polls I’m going to let you fill this time, those are more feedback oriented, so they actually won’t be public for once.

First off, for this update I almost had no suggested nickname. Here my question is, should that happen again, how should I act? Should I…

• …try to think up a nickname myself.
  • …wait until someone of you recommends one.

0 voters

Mind that if you choose the latter, I am going to continue to bug you guys in extra posts like I last did.

And my second question is in regards to the update schedule. As you may have noticed, I’m currently posting on a three day basis, and my question basically is if that’s okay or if it’s too fast.

Regarding the schedule…

• A new part every three days is okay, continue as you have.
  • It’s a bit too fast for me, could you go with a weekly schedule instead, please?

0 voters

Here I’ll probably go for weekly even if it’s only chosen by a minority, since slowing down shouldn’t hurt those that are okay with the current schedule.

So I’ll see you in the next part, you have the usual 48 hours plus minus a few for the Pokémon votes for now. I’ll leave the feedback polls open for longer, though.

1 Like

http://puu.sh/hhvH1.ogg :masdum:

I’m happy you remembered about it, at least. IRL problems are kinda more important right now, but I apologize for not upholding my end of the bargain.

I chose Oddish and Abra, which I want named Toba and NotHypno, respectively. Kinda surprised that stupid fish is still in the party somehow… ._.

Also, I don’t think you should wait for people to tell you how you should run this project. Asking people for suggestions is fine, but if no one’s willing to offer anything, you should be able to keep moving without us. I sincerely believe you are creative enough to come up with nicknames for your Pokemon, and you are intelligent enough to come up with a schedule that is most convenient for you. If you’d rather go weekly, go weekly. I chose to keep it to the three-day schedule, but if you’d rather go weekly, be my guest. As far as I know, I’m not going anywhere. :slight_smile:

Gonna drop my suggested nicknames here:

For a Metapod or Kakuna, call them bastion, fortress, adamantium or Helm’s deep (if this last one fits).
For Abra, maybe Spoon guy/girl.
For Oddish, strangish could be a nice idea (or a horrible one, depending on how you look at it). Do it for the puns Vyse!

Part 9: The Pokémaniac

Lunar: “Okay Shia, you got some experience in battle now, so let those experiences sink in for a while.”

Lunar: “Ouroboros, you did some good work on Nugget Bridge, but for now I’ll let you rest as well.”

Now let’s try to catch an Abra.

First try.

Lunar: “Damn it.”

Second try.

Lunar: “There we go! You will be called Spoon Girl. Welcome to the team!”

And here I’ll catch an Oddish I think.

Lunar: “I’ll call you Strangish. Is that an odd name? Well, whatever. Welcome to the team!”

Lunar: “As for now, Spoon Girl, get me out of here!”

And with Strangish I don’t even need to walk through grass that much anymore:

As for the rest of the training:

Lunar: “Now you deserve your name.”

Lunar: “Okay, that’s enough training. Onward to Bill!”

Lunar: “Strangish, first poison him, then Absorb his energy!”

Lunar: “For this one, Absorb is enough!”

Franklin: “Drat! A Zubat bit me back in that cave.”
Lunar: “That must’ve hurt…”

Lunar: “Use Absorb, Strangish!”

Wayne: “The trail below is a shortcut to Cerulean City.”
Lunar: “Good to know.”

Lunar: Then I’ll practice with you, if you don’t mind."

Lunar: “Show him your psychic powers, Spoon Girl!”

Joey: “All Pokémon have weaknesses. Even the strongest ones. That’s why it’s best to raise Pokémon of different types.”
Lunar: “At least someone who get’s it.”

Lunar: “Use Confusion, Spoon Girl!”

Lunar: “Huh, you’re full of surprises. Have some psychic powers of your own, haven’t you?”

Dan: “On the S.S. Anne, I saw Trainers from around the world.”
Lunar: “Sounds like a place I might want to check out. But alas, I doubt I have enough money to buy a ticket for a luxus cruise.”

Lunar: “Time for more Confusion, don’t you think, Spoon Girl?”

Kelsey: “I wish my boyfriend was as good as you.”

Lunar: “This is your element! Drain them of their energy, Strangish!”

Lunar: “For this one, start with poison again!”

Nob: “The Pokémaniac sure lives up to his name. His collection includes many rare species of Pokémon.”

Lunar: “Your girlfriend already said that I’m stronger than you, do you still want to battle?”
Camper: “Especially now, after you said that!”

Lunar: “I say it’s time for some more HYPER FANG action!”

Lunar: “You only survived thanks to Intimidate.”

Flint: “Oh well. My girlfriend will cheer me up.”
Lunar: “Probably. Love must be nice.”

Lunar: “Also thanks for letting me through!”

It contains Secret Power. I hear this move is needed in the Hoehn region to create Secret Bases.

Pretty active, this boy.

Lunar: “Time for some more electricity! Go, Atsuko, use Thundershock!”

Lunar: “Oh. You won’t be able to do much here, come back! It’s your turn, Genji!”

Lunar: “Use Water Gun!”

Chad: “If your Pokémon gets confused, switch it out. That’s a good tactic.”
Lunar: “I’ll keep it in mind.”

Lunar: “Spoon Girl, use Confusion!”

Haley: “You came from Mt. Moon? May I have a Clefairy?”
Lunar: “Sorry, didn’t catch one.”

Girl: “Misty, the Gym Leader, has high hopes about this place.”

Boy: “If you’re out at Cerulean’s cape…
Well, it should be as a couple.”
Lunar: “I only came here because I heard that Bill, the inventor of the PC Storage System, lives here.”

But wait, if Misty has high hopes about this place, this means she visits here often. And Bill lives alone here. Could it be that Misty and Bill…
Nah!

But it is a nice view.

Pretty chaotic in here…

Lunar: “Woah, a speaking Pokémon!”

Lunar: “I’m kinda doubting my sanity right now.”
Bill: “Hey! What’s with that skeptical look? I’m not joshing you, pal. I screwed up an experiment and got combined with a Pokémon! So how about it? Help me out here!”
Lunar: “Okay, I’ll try to help. What do I need to do?”
Bill: “Wait till I get inside the Teleporter. When I do, go to my PC and run the Cell Separation System.”
Lunar: “Okay, got it.”

Bill: “So, did you come to see my Pokémon collection?”
Lunar: “Not really, I just wanted to say thanks for the Storage System.”
Bill: “Oh no problem! But still, you didn’t come for my collection? That’s a bummer. I’ve got to thank you…
Oh, here, maybe this’ll do.”

Bill: “That cruise ship S.S. Anne is in Vermilion City. I hear there are lots of Trainers on board, too. They invited me to their party, but I can’t stand fancy do’s. Why don’t you go instead of me? Go on and have a good time.”
Lunar: “Thank you very much, I was already thinking about going for that cruise anyway. Still:”

Bill: "Go on, check out my PC.

Eevee:

Flareon:

Jolteon:

Vaporeon:

Okay, I’ve visited Bill, now it is time to finally challenge Misty.

Okay, from now on I’ll try to post a new update on every Sunday, this should give you more time for voting as well. Speaking of which, this is the first full team vote: You get to choose which Pokémon I take with me to Misty. The chosen team will then continue the journey as well, so this is your chance to get old members back in, if you want. And don’t worry about the lower levels of the reserves, should you choose one of them, I’ll train them up to speed with the rest of the team. With other words, you have 6 votes.

Who should accompany me to Misty?

• Genji (Wartortle)
  • Nostredame (Pidgey)
  • Norris (Mankey)
  • HYPER FANG (Rattata)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Kanon (Jigglypuff)
  • Shia (Magikarp)
  • Pepe (Geodude)
  • Ouroboros (Ekans)
  • Spoon Girl (Abra)
  • Strangish (Oddish)

0 voters

On a lighter note, do you remember when in the last part Lunar was asked if he’d like to become a member of Team Rocket? I’ve read that there are people who would’ve liked to say yes to that offer and I’m curious if someone among you would have liked to say yes as well, and if so, I’d be interested in the reasons as to why he or she would want that.

Second, I hinted at the possibility of a certain pairing, and I’m honestly curious, is Misty x Bill a pairing that is shipped?

Anyway, I’ll see you next Sunday!

2 Likes
Part 10: Flushing Misty away

Lunar: “Alright, Kanon, Strangish, Spoon Girl, Ouroboros, Genji, Atsuko, I’ll take you six with me to the second Gym. But first, I’d say Kanon needs a little training.”

Lunar: “Ready, everyone?”

He’s indeed faster than me.

Man: “Let me give you some advice! The Leader, Misty, is a pro who uses Water-type Pokémon. You can drain all their water with Grass-type Pokémon. Or, you might use Electric-type Pokémon and zap them!”
Lunar: “Thanks for the advise. I’ll see you again after I beat Misty.”

Lunar: “But nothing happened.”
Swimmer: “I’m first up! Let’s do it!”

Lunar: “Okay Kanon, first try to put it to sleep!”

Lunar: “And then use Pound!”

Lunar: “Huh, it woke up fast.”

Lunar: “You did great, Kanon! Now it’s your turn, Spoon Girl!”

Lunar: “You’re supposed to use Confusion, not suffer from it.”

Lunar: “There we go!”

Luis: “Misty is a Trainer who’s going to keep improving. She won’t lose to someone like you!”

Picnicker: “Misty won’t have to be bothered.”

Lunar: “Go Genji, use Tackle!”

Lunar: “This might take a while.”

Lunar: “Nice! Now bring this to an end!”

Diana: “You have to face other Trainers to see how good you really are.”

Misty: “Only those Trainers who have a policy about Pokémon can turn pro. What is your approach when you catch and train Pokémon?”
Lunar: “Well, I try to have a diversive team. So what’s yours?”
Misty: “My policy is an all-out offensive with Water-type Pokémon!”

Click this link for music

Lunar: “Okay Strangish, like the kind man at the entrance said, drain all its water! Use Absorb!”

Lunar: “This one looks sturdier, so use Poison Powder first!”

Lunar: “Ouch, these attacks hurt.”

Lunar: “Come back! Go Atsuko, zap it with Thundershock!”

Lunar: “And it truly was the combined effort of Strangish and Atsuko.”

Misty: “All right! You can have the Cascadebadge to show you beat me. The Cascadebadge makes all Pokémon up to Lv. 30 obey. That includes even outsiders you got in trades. There’s more. You can now use Cut anytime, even out of battle. You can Cut down small trees to open new pathways. You can also have my favorite TM.”

Misty: “TM03 teaches Water Pulse. Use it on an aquatic Pokémon!”

Man: “You and me, kid, we make a pretty darn-good team! So tell me, did you learn anything new on your travels?”
Lunar: “Yeah, I learned that I can’t just depend on one single Pokémon. Only with the support of both Strangish and Atsuko, my Oddish and Pikachu you see, was I able to beat Misty.”
Man: “Thank you for the small interview. Okay, I bet I’ll see you again. Good luck, champ in the making!”
Lunar: “Thanks. Bye!”

So where to next?

I could go east to reach Lavender Town…

…or I could go south to reach Saffron City.

Wait, if I go further south, I’ll reach Vermillion City, and I’ve got a ticket for the S.S. Anne which is docked there, so that’ll be my next goal.

Ah, now I can enter here.

Lunar: “Beware, puns.”

Man: “Look what they’ve done to my house! They stole a TM for teaching Pokémon how to Dig holes! I was going to use it on a Mankey or Sandshrew…
That cost me a bundle, it did!”

Seems like the perpetrator didn’t get far.

Grunt: “…Huh? Me? I’m an innocent bystander! Don’t you believe me?”
Lunar: “And you’re only wearing this uniform for shits and giggles, sure…”

Lunar: “Ouroboros, use Poison Sting!”

Lunar: “This really is going to take a while.”

Lunar: “Now use Bite!”

Grunt: “…Okay. I’ll return the TM I stole.”

Grunt: “I better get moving! Bye!”

Lunar: “But I got your TM right here, you can have it back.”
Man: “I don’t need it anymore, so keep it. I decided to teach a Diglett how to Dig without a TM.”

Heh, I couldn’t even go east.

And the wild Pokémon on this Route:

Also a new move.

Only Meowth is new.

I wonder who lives here.

Lunar: “Nah, I raise my Pokémon myself.”

But if I’m here, might as well check out Saffron City.

Officer: “Oh, wait there, the road’s closed.”
…Or I don’t visit Saffron City. Oh well.

Then the underground passage it is.

Voting Time

This time back to the same kind of votes we had before, even though I already have an idea what you’re going to vote for one of them. Still, what should I catch on Route 5?

• Pidgey
  • Meowth
  • Oddish

0 voters

Like always, suggest nicknames for the new Pokémon.

And then there’s of course the usual question of who leaves for the time being?

• Genji (Wartortle)
  • Atsuko (Pikachu)
  • Kanon (Jigglypuff)
  • Ouroboros (Ekans)
  • Spoon Girl (Kadabra)
  • Strangish (Oddish)

0 voters

There won’t be a new part next week because it’s christmas and I’m quite busy then, there might however be another poll depending on the resuts of this one. So you have one week for voting.

3 Likes

I’m voting for Oddish, that’s what you get for assuming what people will vote for. And I want it to be called Rebel.

1 Like

I vote Meowth. Call it Maddie, after the one true Meowth. :stuck_out_tongue:

I vote for Meowth. Me and my friends in Florida Panama always discussed what is the best pokemon for them and the majority is always Meowth. - Gustavo Woltmann

MEOWTH that’s RIght!
__
“—Amy said that would be an imprudent expense; but as soon as he had got a good price for a book. Will not the publishers be kind? If they knew what happiness lurked in embryo within their foolish cheque-books!”

• George Gissing, New Grub Street