General Gaming Discussion

Everyone loves video games, right?

• What are you playing right now?

• What are some of your favourite games?

• What games are you looking forward to?

Be respectful of other people’s opinions, and be civil. Games seem to have the potential to become be a heated topic in any forum :stuck_out_tongue:

Please use common sense with [spoiler] tags.

5 Likes

Anyone out there getting Titanfall? I played the beta for that last week and had way too much fun on it… Or how about Dark Souls 2? I’m honestly debating on getting that one for console just because it comes out a few weeks earlier; even though I know I’m going to get it on PC too… I’ve just been playing FFXIV while I wait for those two to come out.

Wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve heard mainly bad things about the beta. Even for a beta, it is very empty and featureless. Customization is incredibly limited so almost everyone uses the same stuff, and it is of course an arcade style shooter like all of old IW’s games were. (Which really need good customization to be fun.) If the customization doesn’t become more diverse, and they don’t implement any interesting game modes, I don’t know how it’ll stand up to stuff like Battlefield 4, Hawken, or Mech Warrior.

This is true. I swear I was the only one in the beta to even try the sniper; everyone just used the assault rifle or the SMG. Unfortunately, it seems like almost everything in the game that was locked in the beta was available through burn cards, and there weren’t that many more even if you include those. The amount of fun I had FAR outweighs the lack of customization though, and I’m definitely going to get it on release.

I’m playing a lot of FFXIV after @Rabla used CHEAP TRICKS to make me get it.
That and Tropical Freeze, which I’m loving

Hmmmmm, gaming.

Welp, I started into this whole internet thing playing all your typical shooter games, but landed on Gears of War, which started the forum/community life. Made a Twitter. Long story short, I got very into it, met a ~ton~ of people- a few of which I talk to today. One that got me into anime and Key roughly two years ago, and others that got me into playing fighting games.

So, had it not been for all that, I probably wouldn’t be here! Now I play those a lot. Plan on going to tournaments- meeting and chilling with folks- all that jazz. The coolest thing is that I’m focusing a good amount on ‘anime’ fighters (Persona, primarily), and so where I have lots of people to talk to about punchy games, I also have people to watch and talk about anime with ~!

I still play Gears every other night with my handful of buddies. We’ve played for about 3 years now, so whatever we play, we play together. Gears, Halo- Soon to be Titanfall.

tl;dr I like games. A lot. They’re fun. I’ve played a lot of them, not just shooters and fgs. I’m building a gaming computer sometime this year, so I’d look forward to playing anything and everything with you all~

1 Like

Ah, an origin story!!

Sounds like a lot of fun~ I admit, I had a lot of fun with Halo. Most of my friends were Modern Warfare people, which was fun… but Halo multiplayer was great! I loved Halo 3 most, with all those custom game modes~ Stuff like Aliens Vs Predator, Jenga Towers, Griffball.

Games like that are always perfect for groups~ Some memorable events happen XD Though most of the time, an argument would happen and someone would leave for the day…

I just finished South Park: Stick of Truth and it really lived up to the hype. An Obsidian RPG game set in South Park was something I never knew I wanted! XD
There is sooo much to it! There’s a bunch of fanservice, and fart jokes… which can be annoying… but there is some amazing stuff going on in the game. The amount of customization is brilliant T~T My heart cried tears of joy when I got to the point of being able to easily switch between my black and dark green assassin costume, and my Valkyrie Knight costume~ Appearances are nice, but the effects that the costumes can have when combined with modifiers allow you to craft your own play-style. I struggled soooo much to decide on whether I should keep my stealthy archer outfit to slowly kill individuals, or change into my Valkyrie Knight outfit in order to throw flaming Chakrams at the enemy group! (The game gave me a Chakram, so I gave myself a Kingdom Hearts reference.)
You also get to customize perks and abilities. You can decide to boost your attacks, or you can focus on regenerating your HP and PP. Maybe you want to add a fire modifier to your weapons, and then buy the perks that boost your fire attacks~

The actual fighting is pretty fun. It’s turn-based, but you have to do certain actions on your mouse & keyboard/controller in order for the attacks to hit at their full potential, and in order to block the attacks of an enemy. Because of this, you are always involved! There isn’t a feeling of waiting for your turn.
If you learn the attacks you like most, and set up your costume and perks to enhance those attacks, then you can become reeeaaally OP! Not “Oh, this game is easy” OP… It’s more of a “After collecting all this stuff and deciding on the best, I am invincible!!!”
It’s a great feeling XD

I did get a few game-breaking bugs during combat (OBSIDIAAAANNN!) where the GUI buttons would become unclickable when fighting certain enemies… so I’d have to reload to before the fight. For the few times it happened mid-game I went away, trained until I could 1-hit the buggy enemies and win before the bug strikes… but then it happened during one of the end-game bosses, while I was trapped in the boss room… and a lot of time went into OHKO-ing the guy without being able to train.
I think that’s just my computer though. I’m a whole 2GB of ram less than the required minimum amount, so I’m thankful the game even ran! Ahaha~

Outside of fighting, the way you get around South Park is usually by walking… and it feels perfect. Your avatar hops around like a character from South Park would, and it feels natural. Despite South Park being a small place, it can take a while to get around at first, simply because you get so many side quests, and stumble across so many secrets!
After you have explored everywhere, you will have most of the Fast Travel areas unlocked. (Which, of course, transport you to other areas of the map~)
There is a sections of the game where the whole South Park aesthetic is replaced for a short while… but it should be experienced first-hand. It is easily one of my favorite sections of the game~

The story was what you’d expect from the top-notch South Park episodes. Lots of comedy, lots of observations, and a bit of feels kicking in at parts~
I won’t say much about it, but there are lots of moments for SP fans to wow over, and lots of moments for non-SP fans to wow over. While there are lots and lots of South Park references, there are also references to big franchises like Call of Duty, The Matrix, Pokemon, and just any Medieval RPG around~
Since there is a lot to collect in the game, I imagined I’d want to go back and grab everything once I had finished… but the ending is perfect…
It’s one of those endings where you don’t need to go back to the game. Where you can just sit, watch the credits, and say “You know… that was a good game.”
It feels like an end! Which isn’t something a lot of games do nowadays. (I’m guessing that’s down to DLC)

I see myself going back to that quiet mountain town in the future, but for now, the few days of LARPing is over.

Even if you aren’t a South Park fan, it’s worth giving this game a try. The gameplay is solid, and there are lots of jokes for people who aren’t South Park fans. I lost interest in watching episodes of it years ago, but I kinda want to see a few now… just to see if I recognize all the faces~

I just finished the main story of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Definitely one of the most enjoyable platformers I’ve played in a very long time, it hits so many notes just right for me. The levels are a tiny bit easier than the previous DKCR, but there’s no super guide in sight this time so you have to work for every victory. It’s got a pretty good balance. And the audio and visuals are gorgeous~ Would recommend over any recent 2D mario game, easily.

Haven’t had much time to play lately, but after Persona 4 Arena I felt I wanted to play Persona 1 and 2 as well to see what I’m missing in the Persona universe, so started on Persona (1) a while back.
It’s very easy to see the SMT roots here, it’s certainly closer to SMT: Nocturne than to Persona 3. More massive than I expected, too.

Gee, gaming, hm.

Right now, I’ve got an active save file on Persona 1, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Persona 3 Portable Male Route, Persona 4 Golden. I play Persona 4 Arena every so often online with /vg/'s Persona General crew.

Er, Final Fantasy XIV is most of my life. I play Loadout and Ace of Spades every so often online. Recently cleared Binding of Isaac for the first time so I’m delving a bit more into that.

There’s also… Shadow of the Colossus HD, Bravely Default, Pokemon Y, Bayonetta, New Little Kings Story, Danganronpa… and probably a lot more.

tl;dr i play games a lot

Gaming is something I have not been doing occasionally due to college .When I do play video games I play games on the Wii and DS cause I don’t own a Microsoft or Sony console. The games I have for the Wii include Mario Galaxy, NSMB Wii, Sonic Colors, and Xenoblade Chronicles and for the DS it’s Pokemon Platinum, HeartGold, Animal Crossing : Wild World and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Sometimes I play some GBA Rpg games like Golden Sun and Pokemon Emerald and some old SNES games like Mario World, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country 2 etc. For this summer I might go and replay Xenoblade and try to get a 100%.

Hmmm, where to start?

Been playing games since before I got DSL back in '08, but I’ll skip to the post-internet days. :stuck_out_tongue:

Started out on RSV2, got into a website called Gamebattles pretty heavily with some guys I met on there. Slowly transitioned into the Gears of War franchise, where I met Bizkitdoh among others (3 years is a really, really long time when you have chill guys that are fun to play with). I play a variety of things on console, from Halo to Bioshock, SW:KTOR to Skyrim.

Lately? I’ve found a chill PC gaming community that brances across an assload of titles. Been playing a LOT of DayZ/Arma2/Arma3 mods. Battlefield 4, SWTOR, and soon to be ESO. I’ve always been a shooter fan, so the casual MMO playing will be a new thing for me. If I’m not chilling with my console friends, I game on whatever is popular with my PC crew for the month(s). I’m really fairly open-minded to trying new things, and reading VN’s is always a good break for a week or two when I need a break from games that are super activity intensive.

Anyway, that’s my small wall of text. I’m nothing special, although for my (soon to be) profession I have some really, REALLY odd hobbies. But, I have fun with it, and that’s all that matters.

Is anyone playing any MMOs at the moment? I’m thinking of buying FFXIV soon.

I never understand the charm to MMOs… I’ve tried loooaaads, but every single one is WoW… and I didn’t like WoW! >A<
I’m not a fan of work simulators, and that’s what an MMO is to me. A large checklist of stuff the game wants me to do ;~;

The sexual abuse stuff doesn’t help either… Too many creepers on MMOs. >A<

1 Like

I have a very love-hate relationship with MMOs. It’s like an abusive relationship. I’ll leave WoW screaming my frustrations over how it’s abusing me for money, and then I come crawling back. I guess the appeal is the social aspect, playing a game together with friends. I really liked Guild Wars 2 more because it didn’t feel like it was trying to milk my money out of me (as it wasn’t).

I’m seeing a few of my friends playing FF and kinda wanna join in, though.

Oooh, no one I know plays MMOs though~ I guess the games would be better with friends.
Everyone I know either plays exclusively on console, or plays Minecraft 24/7. Ahaha ^^;

Imagine if we got a Kazamatsuri.org minecraft server going? >:3

Build Kazamatsuri in Minecraft? :stuck_out_tongue:

That would take a hell of a lot of time.

I tried building the school from LB using aerial shots and art once.