Key Sounds Label - Music Discussion

Cool! I wish I had bought one ;_;

off topic:
By the way, checking the HOLY BREAKER! website made me surprised because apparently they release HOLY BREAKER! for iPhone and Android. I never knew.

1 Like

So Iā€™ve just started taking a listen to the Key 15th Fes. pamphlet CD, starting with Disc 1, efflorescence.

More like effortlessā€¦

Iā€™m really disapointed. This is probably one of the most trash KSL albums Iā€™ve listened to. Considering how momentous an occasion the 15th anniversary is, I expect so much more than this cheap electronic music. Itā€™s really badā€¦ Come on Key, what is this? You can do better!

THAT SAID, there is one standout gem in the album, and that would be the Hikari ni Yosete arrangement. Itā€™s pretty chill, but Iā€™m enjoying it an awful lot. Iā€™m just lucky that one of my personal favourite BGMs in Key history got special treatment in this particular album. If only for that one track, Iā€™d recommend checking out the album. But the rest of utter shit, so take that as you will.

Maybe Iā€™m being a little harshā€¦

Iā€™m currently in the process of listening to Disc 2, Keep The Dancing Beats!. So far in it sounds a LOT more professional than the previous disc, with a lot of well-known names appearing in the credits. DJ SHARPNEL, DJ Shimamura, and MUZIK SERVANT to name a few. There are also a lot of names I donā€™t recognise. In the end, this kind of album will depend on your personal taste. If youā€™re not into electronic dance music, you probably wonā€™t enjoy it, but it is objectively higher quality than the first disc.

1 Like

Keep the Dancing Beats was actually Disc 1 but I digress!~ Yes, it was pretty good, and I think as good as, if not better, than the other remix CDs that key has released (Deejay busters, for example). Iā€™m pretty into the hardcore techno scene in Japan, so a lot of those artists are very familiar to me and I can see lots of their styles in how they made it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I liked it for the most part, tbh. Even though Iā€™d think Iā€™d be disgusted at messing with muh GDM I actually found it mostly enjoyable. Love Shimamuraā€™s Crow Song. Pretty good easy listening stuff, which is what I expected. Itā€™s fun.

I didnā€™t half mind the other disc either. I donā€™t have massive expectations from these kinds of remix albums, just nice and fun.

Hello fellow Keynians,

Doesn anybody knows where I can find the version thatā€™s being played in background, when they play basketball, on episode #16 (in Clannad S1).
I like that uplifting version. I also like the fact that this melody is used quite a lot on this chapter! (Iā€™ve re-watched it today)

Thanks in advance!

If I recall correctly, the one played during basketball match at CLANNAD S1 was

But Iā€™m forgetful but I think itā€™s correct.

2 Likes

Yes, Thatā€™s correct!
Youā€™ve just made my day. Really.

A long travel awaits for me, and I will certainly enjoy this nice remix while traveling. How did I forgot the track name?

ā€¦It evokes wonderful feelings. Thank you my friend! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m a fan of medleys so I thought the ā€˜Key 15th Anniversary Paradeā€™ was a cool addition. I think it would have been really cool if it was an orchestrated mix, though Iā€™m certain that wasnā€™t the feel they were going for. Overall I found the albums to be enjoyable, though I will say I was expecting Track 1 of Disk 2 (ćƒ•ć‚”ćƒ³ćƒ•ć‚”ćƒ¼ćƒ¬) to be longer than a few seconds! >< But hey, thatā€™s why itā€™s ā€˜fanfareā€™, right? Hehā€¦

Which is your all time favourite Key song?

Iā€™ve thought about this for years now and I think Iā€™ve finally settled on mine. Iā€™m sure this is a really hard question for some, so if you really canā€™t choose, just post the ones you really love!

So for me, after a lot of thought, unusually or not I have to go with Unused Music 1 from the Air OST:

It had previously always been too close to call between Natsukage, Kaisouroku, Unused Music 1 and Unused Music 6 but recently it struck me that I really did enjoy Unused Music 1 most (gosh thatā€™s a really unromantic titleā€¦). Iā€™m not sure whether itā€™s due to over-listening to the other three but honestly I think it comes down to the fact that no other song in existence can just instantly make me as happy as Unused Music 1 can. I think itā€™s also just the perfect example of Key-style extended synths with that signature dreamy quality that I always melt to, another of which comes to mind is Snowfield from the Clannad OST. While Snowfield is definitely high up on my list of favourite Key tracks, I love Unused Music 1 both for itā€™s hopeful, upbeat vibe as well as itā€™s infectious melody and gorgeous harmony with both the slow, punctuated, almost xylophone-like synth and the regular backbeat that almost mimics a walking pace.

Many of you probably saw my post about my visit to Kasumi in April, after reading the visual novel while staying there, I basically made a playlist of what I considered the quintessential ā€˜walking around townā€™ themes from Air (for - you guessed it - walking around town) and even created loops out of them. I noticed that no matter how many times it looped I would always be sad when I heard the fade at the end of the loop for Unused Music 1.

So, I guess thatā€™s why itā€™s my favourite, Iā€™d love to hear everyone elseā€™s and of course if you can post why that would be great too!

2 Likes

I think I like almost every KEY (KSL) songs, but the ones that I listen the most are the main titles of the VNs. And then the favorite of mine are Rewriteā€™s ā€˜Journeyā€™ and Tomoyo Afterā€™s ā€˜Hopeā€™, and Clannadā€™s ā€˜Ushioā€™.

If itā€™s not a main title song, then I think my fav would be LBā€™s Boys Donā€™t Cry.

By far my favorite key song would have to be Natsukage, Iā€™ve been listening to it on an almost daily basis for over 4 years now, and itā€™s what made be get back to playing the piano after s long hiatus. Itā€™s so simple but the melody is absolutely perfect, and the transition to the bridge is incredible, especially in the refeel version. And the pipes in the original during the second verse along with the sparse use of percussion are also just absolutely perfect, the song really sets the theme for the show but it also absolutely fantastic on its own!

3 Likes

Favorite Key VN related BGM?

It will go by particular VNs before choosing the all-time favorite

Kanon: Fuyu no Hanabi. So nostalgic <3
Air: Sousei, Futari, Getsudou (when Kanna flies into her demise )ā€¦ so many to choose ;v;
CLANNAD: Town, People, Flow of Time; that summery BGM that plays somewhere during parts of After Story,
planetarian: Robot & Rain
Tomoyo After: Hope, Dear Old Home
Little Busters!: Thin Chronicle, Day Game, that Kurugaya piano BGM
Rewrite: Exploration and Shinsou Shinrin for now, but it can change as I go deeper into the plot

1 Like

Sha La La Ecstasy, of course.

In all seriousness, itā€™s probably between Yume no Atochi and Yukinohara. And on the other side of the spectrum, I have a massive love for Eruptible, which is definitely my favorite action track.

2 Likes

Considering that Nagisa came firstā€¦

Iā€™ve always been curious if the anime songs that didnā€™t have a direct BGM counterpart (TORCH, Kimi to no Nakushimono, Mezameta Asa ni wa Kimi ga Tonari ni) took any cues from other songs.

Actually comes directly from the Little Busters! OST, ā€œMezameta Asa niā€ or ā€œWaking Up in the Morningā€

1 Like

Yeah I think theyā€™re getting it confused with ā€œKimi to no Nakushi Monoā€.

Hello friends,

ā€¦Following the topic of Key self-references, but focused on the music side of it, let me share this:

Minutes ago I was enjoying ā€œKaisōrokuā€ (å›žęƒ³éŒ² Reminiscence), itā€™s the AIR anime piano melody that was used in the intro of the series. ā€“ Anyway, while I was listening I suddenly felt that the notes were like a reminiscence of Planetarianā€™s Gentle Jena, the VN. So, I got curious about its composerā€¦ and for my surprise (since I was expecting Maeda or Orito in the credits) the composer was Magome Togoshi. I didnā€™t knew he contributed to AIR!

A few weeks ago I was playing the OST from Planetarian quite a bit, because I really like it. And now Iā€™m glad to see that he collaborated for the AIR anime OST.

No, Iā€™m not implying a link between those two stories, since I canā€™t really see a serious bridge between. Itā€™s just a curiosity. What I find interesting, like someone stated in the self-references thread, is that every composer has their very own music style.

He is a good composer in my opinion, heart touching. Complements very well to the excellent music by Jun Maeda and S.Orito among others. Donā€™t you think?

Very interesting, thanks for sharing the info Pepe. I didnā€™t knew. Iā€™ll start to pay more attention to the lyrics.

P.S.: Thanks @Yerian for taking the time of moving this here if you feel it helps to keep things more granular. There are times when the main topic isnā€™t clear and a decision should be made.

I canā€™t stop listening to ā€œFallinā€™ā€ (ZHIEND). The feeling is the same as Nao described it, and I love how it feelsā€¦ Itā€™s my favorite track from Charlotte OST up to now; hope there will be more great songs like that.

3 Likes

Ooookay Iā€™m definitely a total idiot with that one. Knew the two songs had very similar titles but the chorus to the ED is probably the least memorable part of it to me so I couldnā€™t make the link until directly listening side by side.

And this is coming from the guy who only realized Boys Be Smile is Boys Donā€™t Cry a few months ago, so donā€™t be too surprised.

i love all ost ALL THE MUSIC BELONG TO ME!!!

1 Like