Computers

Hello there.

I draw something use Manga Studio on a laptop with pen (Thinkpad X61 Tablet)

I also maintained and fixing laptops like replacing hard drive, keyboard, cpu fan, lcd unit etc.

This photo was just writing bios.

4 Likes

Aside from, ya know, all of this stuff. The Apple ecosystem might be a walled garden, but thereā€™s plenty of opens source stuff in there.

So while I was doing my Computer Architecture homework, I found a YouTube channel that provided some tutorials about how to preform some basic operations on the assembly language MIPS or Mars. I watched one of his videos and it was very helpful so I thought about recommending it to you guys if youā€™re interested about MIPS and the basic operations you can do with it. :smile:

2 Likes

I kinda learned everything I know about MIPS by reverse-engineering PSP stuff with the green sheet close at handā€¦ >.>

2 Likes

Oh man, good times working with MIPS. We didnā€™t do anything very complicated, but it was a pretty great assembly language to start with.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been waiting for this for awhile, but today Vulkan was released.

For those not familiar with it, itā€™s a (very) low-level graphics API that allows proficient programmers to squeeze more performance out of each frame thanks to a far lower level of CPU overhead involved in multi-threaded workloads. (Single-threaded workloads would benefit too, but not by nearly as much.)

It can be viewed as Mantleā€™s successor. (Mantle being a vendor-specific offering that did effectively the same thing.)

At the moment it works on Windows and Linux for AMD, Nvidia, and Intel GPUs. (Thereā€™s also mobile support for Android, but Iā€™m not interested in that.) Drivers are available now. (@Pepe get a new carrrrrrrd Dx)

There are lots of benefits here beyond just improved performance. In some ways, because they offer increased control, it can be easier to accomplish certain ā€œout thereā€ tasks that would be more difficult in the traditional APIs which try to make things easier in general.

I might be over-summarizing here though, so be sure to read up on the official stuff to get more accurate details.

2 Likes

I can imagine using that stuff for high-performance computing aince GPUs are more efficient at crunching out numbers

(As you can see, high-performance games arenā€™t in my list of priorities lol)

The big thing I like about it is that it isnā€™t a confusing maze of proprietary extensions like OpenGL is. And also doesnā€™t have to deal with bad decisions made in the past dragging it down, thatā€™s a plus too.

1 Like

Encountered a couple of nights ago. I decided to switch out my PSU since it was pushing 9 years old now and any kind of large graphics load would lead to it shutting off. Should have been a pretty simple operation right? Unplug and pull out a couple of wires undo some screws thread some wires back through plug and play. After swapping everything out booted up and everything started up just fine, then remembering that I had also bought a new Blu-ray drive shut it off to swap it out.

After the restart got several disc read errors which scared the crap out of me so I fiddled around with it a bit unplugging this swapping that and got it to boot again and went to bed. Got up the next morning and everything was locked keyboard, mouse, and stuck in sleep mode. Upon restart I get the fun message that winload.exe was corrupted or missing so I had to scramble for a repair disc which thankfully fixed it.

TL:DR Corrupted boot files by swapping out PSU and putting in a Blu-ray drive.

1 Like

Damn man. Odd errors to be getting there. Not sure how the boot files managed to get corrupted from that though.

Havenā€™t replaced my PSU in agesā€¦ (five years?) No issues with it so far thankfully. I think I need to improve my rigā€™s cooling though. Itā€™s only fan based and it gets pretty hot when playing osu! and such.

I scared myself the other day when I accidentally hit the break key before my BIOS booted, which caused it to halt shortly into its loading process leaving only the text ā€œAsmā€ on the screen. (At first I thought it was something more malicious because I associated ā€œAsmā€ with ā€œAssemblyā€ but it was just the first three letters of ā€œAsmediaā€ lol.)

[quote=ā€œPepe, post:48, topic:929, full:trueā€]
I can imagine using that stuff for high-performance computing aince GPUs are more efficient at crunching out numbers

(As you can see, high-performance games arenā€™t in my list of priorities lol)
[/quote]Ah yeah, thatā€™s a good use. I think OpenCL would probably be a better fit for ya though. (I havenā€™t really worked with OpenCL yet though, so I canā€™t really say.) At least, thatā€™s my opinion after having worked with Vulkan for a day. >.> (Itā€™s a pleasure, but requires a lot of explicit low-level operations. So your code ends up being very verbose.)

[quote=ā€œuppfinnarn, post:49, topic:929, full:trueā€]
The big thing I like about it is that it isnā€™t a confusing maze of proprietary extensions like OpenGL is. And also doesnā€™t have to deal with bad decisions made in the past dragging it down, thatā€™s a plus too.
[/quote]Total agreement here. I also really like how the majority of it and its tools are open source too, and that Intel provides an open source driver as well. Lets you really dig into whatā€™s happening when itā€™s necessary.

Thereā€™s even a company getting it to work on Appleā€™s stuff by having it wrap Metal. I was also thinking of doing a wrapper based around D3D12 for WinStore apps. (Not that anybody uses that anyway, but still, lol.)

I like this idea, actually. All these new APIs popping up are creating needless fragmentationā€¦ Vulkan seems like the biggest candidate to unify them, in my eyes.

The situation to day actually reminds me a lot of the situation from which OpenGL originally emerged. Loads of different, vendor-specific APIs, which were all basically doing the same thing in different ways; OpenGL was founded by a council of different vendors, as a way to deal with this fragmentation.

Then, you know, Microsoft ragequit the OpenGL board and made their own API, with blackjack and hookersā€¦

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: General Gaming Discussion

What are some good websites to follow if youā€™re interested in Comp Sci related news? Cause I feel like I need to know more about current Comp Sci events and Iā€™m looking for some good sites so that I can keep track of that.

I personally follow OSNews, which aggregates a couple of sources. Youā€™ll see lots of technical stuff pop up in there. A lot of stuff thatā€™s going on with computers in general get posted there. But there are plenty of additional sites, like slashdot, ars technica, etc.

You could also check out Hacker News.

Following people in the industry on Twitter can be beneficial as well. (e.g., @ID_AA_Carmack, @rygorous ā€“ who has a blog here, etc.) There are specialized Twitter accounts for comp-sci stuff as well. (e.g., @CompSciFact, @isocpp, etc.)

Iā€™m not sure that any of these are quite what youā€™re looking for, but hopefully at least one will be helpful in one way or another.

2 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll be sure to check these sites out. :smile:

Hey all, I have a computer building request for anyone whoā€™s willing to help a newbie out. Basically my current desktop is running close to 10 years old now, and Iā€™ve been meaning to build a new one for awhile but life developments (aka studying in Japan for 2 years hehe) greatly delayed those plans. I havenā€™t built a computer before, and my hardware knowledge is several years out of date, so please forgive my general ignorance >_<

Anyway, I want to build a pretty decent gaming computer but nothing super high-spec. Letā€™s say I want it to be good enough to stream FFXV without problems once that gets released on PC. For budget, Iā€™ll name $1100 USD for the moment, but if you have a good reason to spend more on something, Iā€™ll all ears. I also plan to upgrade to dual-monitor, and get a new keyboard/mouse/speaker setup since thatā€™s all old, cheap crap but Iā€™m not including that in the budget, and any recs on that stuff would be nice too. If I need to give more info, please let me know. Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not that much of an expert, but I know the basics. Please, if anyone reads this and thinks something I said isnā€™t true or isnā€™t recommended, make sure to point it out.

So, to start off, if you have a 1100$ Budget youā€™ll be aiming for a GTX 960 - GTX 970 GPU (I only know about the nvidia ones, but Iā€™m well aware that the AMD equivalent to those GPUs can be as good and even cheaper).

As for processor, i7 is recommended due to the tendency of the use of multithreading in recent games, specially AAA titles. however, youā€™ll be fine with an i5 (as long as itā€™s a quad core).

RAM is a delicate matter these days. While it is preferable to go for the new DDR4 ones, in my opinion DDR3 will last long until they run obsolete. as for memory, 16GB will allow you to run pretty much anything for quite some years. 8GB will be fine for now, but maybe youā€™ll suffer a bit in 3 or 4 years.

Something really important is having an SSD if the Budget allows it. Not only will the computer start up much faster, but some games will speed up considerably due to the increased Drive-RAM transfer speed. As an example, League of Legends, a game which doesnā€™t demand all that much on GPU or CPU, has freezes and fps drops due to difficulties when the game tries to load files to the RAM mid game. With an SSD, the problema disappears. However, it is also well known that SSDs are expensive as hell.

As for motherboard, PSU and others, I donā€™t feel like I know enough to recommend you anything.

Also, if your budget isnā€™t big enough to get all this things, get your priorities right: will you be editing or rendering videos a lot? Then invest on a good processor. Will you upgrade your GPU in a matter of a few years? Then donā€™t invest as much on it. If you donā€™t have enough money right now,can you buy extra RAM afterwards and invest the money elsewhere? Sure, thatā€™s a nice choice.

Anyway, think it through since itā€™s a lot of money you are spending. Ask anything you want and Iā€™ll try to answer.

1 Like

SSDs are amazing, most people donā€™t realize just how much is IO bound. Loading screens disappear, programs start faster, web pages load quicker because they can read caches off it, you get less stuttering and texture poppingā€¦ definitely get one!

Iā€™d recommend 16GB RAM, but if your budget is getting tight, you can drop to 8GB - itā€™s getting a little bit cramped with some modern games, but nothing too bad; you may have to close your browser if youā€™re playing something super demanding.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input! Although Iā€™ve already learned these things elsewhere, itā€™s nice to have another opinion that agrees with what others have suggested ^^

Follow up question: any good sources for teaching me how to actually put things together? From what I understand, itā€™s relatively simply but I obviously donā€™t want to mess anything up.

Unfortunately, I donā€™t know any reliable source, I would go and try to find any tutorials there might be in Google. Still, a friend of mine builds PCs as a job and according to him it all has to do with practice. In my opinion, as long as you have all the wires and cables organized and put together youā€™ll be fine.

The main issue you may have is that you interrupt the air flow inside the computer, so I recommend that you used temperature monitoring, at least for the first weeks, and if you see anything strange, try to rearrange all the wires and cables.

Also, donā€™t forget to put thermic paste on the CPU!