Computers

It’s pretty easy, for most part there’s only a single way to put things together that actually fits.

Just be sure not to block your air flow or you’ll get temperature issues, a good case will have ways to pull cables aside, like mine has a compartment to the side you can pull cables through to keep the “main” area free of them.

1 Like

A bit of an introduction here, as I’ve never made an appearance in this thread. I grew up without the benefits of modern technology. My family are very simple people, and computers just weren’t their forte. Couple that with having grown up in a town of less than 3,000 people in rural Texas, and I was using a Compaq on Dial-Up until 2008.

Fast forward 8 years, several degrees, and a thorough amount of self-instruction regarding computers and other computing-based technologies, and here I am today.

This is what my current setup looks like. Looking to upgrade the GPU in the near-future to the 1080 once availability becomes less of an issue, but it all works for now.

Case: HAF 922
PSU: Cooler Master 750W
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula
RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz
CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.2 Mhz
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: EVGA GTX 780
Drives: 2x Samsung SSD (180GB C:/ | 500GB A:/) & 2x Western Digital HDD (2TB B:/ | 750GB D:/)

Out of idle curiosity, anyone from Kaza looking to get into the new 10-series of Nvidia cards at all?

They just announced the 1060 at a $250 price point, with claims that it exceeds the current specs of the 9-series. For people trying to get into slightly more graphic intensive setups while avoiding the top-end GPU market, this card might possibly open up some doors for people. And for not a lot more, the 1070 doesn’t look bad for someone with an extra $200 to throw at it.

1 Like

I’ll plan to burn my GTX 660 a couple years more.

The issue with GPUs is that they are expensive as hell and that PC gaming industry doesn’t care much about optimization and making better graphics with the same minimum requisites. GTX XX60 and XX70 are great choices that will last for at least 5 years (if you don’t mind playing on medium/low during the last year or two).

GTX XX80 are just… expensive. Seriously, at around 600$ a card once the market stabilizes is expensive as fuck for a card that will last maybe a year or two more than the XX60 and XX70 in my opinion. I’d rather get 3 XX60s one every 2 years than buying one of the XX80.

However, if you are into VR you should totally consider it, since high FPS are greatly beneficial for your sight and help you feel less dizzy.

My biggest issue is that if I’m going to play, I want to be able to go ahead and crank everything up as high as it’ll go, and still pull 50+ frames without ever dipping below that threshold.

Some games are just poorly optimized and can never do it (take Arma for example… 32bit servers and lack of multi-core optimization for CPUs when it’s a CPU heavy game just kills the FPS in a multiplayer environment). But for the games that are capable of looking nice AND playing smoothly, I don’t want to be limited by hardware.

And I totally get that it’s a personal thing. I have the availability of funds, and the desire. For most people, I’d totally recommend the '70’s for their needs.

1 Like

You just didn’t go there did you? You throw some smoke grenades and add 8 people shooting at each other and CPUs and servers start to tremble.

Well, you will still go 50+ frames with a 60 or 70, that is 5 years old, it’s just that you’ll have to tone some things down. However, if you know what’s really consuming and what’s not, you can optimize your settings to a point where you don’t really notice the difference with a 5-year-old 80 card.

Of course, if you can afford it, go for it, no one will stop you. After all, this is why they made up this 60 - 70 - 80 system (cause let’s be honest, why would you even buy a 50?)

I don’t know much from AMD, but if hear they have some solid price to performance ratios. However, their GPUs heat up a lot and are power thirsty, so maybe not an option for overclockers or smaller PCs that don’t ventilate that well.

I’ve been getting a “failed to reconnect network drivers” message whenever I log onto my computer. The only noticeable problems are that every so often the screen freezes and the audio glitches out(or something like that) for a second, then it goes back to normal. I checked for and installed all the latest audio and display drivers but I’m still getting the error message.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Someone else told me that I’m just screwed and I need to wipe my computer

This is basically what a PC shop will tell you or just straight up do if you give them your computer for them to fix it. It’s a last resort solution that should work. In case it doesn’t, the problem is with the hardware.

However, after searching for a while, I’ve noticed most of the people saying that this issue is “Failed to reconnect network drives”. Is it posible?

If this was the case, apparently the problem appears to be with your own home network setup. Maybe, reconfiguring from zero the network could fix the problem. Despite this, this network issue shouldn’t have anything to do with screen freezes or audio glitches…

The audio glitches and screen freezes look like a hard drive problem to me. I’ve had those exact same problems when the information flow from the hard drive to the RAM or CPU surpasses the one the hard drive or the connections can withstand, resulting in a small temporary freeze that symbolizes that the hard drive is still loading or transmitting all the information.

This issue, however, doesn’t have anything to do with networking matters, which brings us back to our starting point.

I’m sorry I couldn’t help more, but at least I spoke my mind and told you what I think about this. Thorough googling would be required if you plan on fixing this problem alone. I’ll keep my eyes open and if I find anything I’ll tell you.

1 Like

It could be as simple as that you at some point mounted a network drive as a drive letter, which is entirely possible to do by accident.

Does anybody know if there’s a point of getting an RX480 vs the Nvidia 1060?

Fixed one problem. Turns out that it was network drives, but the message went away so fast I couldn’t read it right :stuck_out_tongue:. Thanks @Mogaoscar ![quote=“uppfinnarn, post:69, topic:929, full:true”]
It could be as simple as that you at some point mounted a network drive as a drive letter, which is entirely possible to do by accident.
[/quote]
I think my wireless printer did something; the drive was named Epson

But, uh, this problem still persists. Do you know how to fix it? If it helps, I can send my laptop’s specs (the only thing I changed in it was downloading adding more ram).

Unfortunately, I’m afraid this is a hardware related issue, so it has no fix per say, only thing you could do is replace some parts, but that is something I wouldn’t recommend if you are using a laptop.

Still, HDD detailed info would help, since it might reafirm or discard the theory I had.

This is my theory. To further confirm it, it’d be helpful if you could tell me when the freezes occur (in every single software?, only in games?, when whatching a film?..). Also, for how much does each freeze last? That and the HDD info would be very helpful.

I don’t think connections are an issue here since most of a laptop’s components are directly soldered onto the motherboard.

You can try booting up memtest to make sure your RAM is healthy. Random freezes are sometimes a sign of corrupted memory.

Only when I’m on Youtube. The freezes usually don’t last for longer than a second, but on occasion they do. Since it only happens when I’m streaming, I don’t think it’s a hard drive problem

I tried memtest but I had struggles so I decided to put if off for now :komue:
I did, however, switch out my ram and the problem persisted…

Hmm…

Yeah, now I would agree with you that it doesn’t look like a hard drive problem. I’m utterly surpassed by this issue. The only explanation I can find is a poor Internet connection, but that’s something that can be spotted so obviously that you would have already noticed. Therefore, I’m afraid I’m out of options, this is beyond my knowledge. At this point Google would be my only friend.

Random thought but if your YouTube is still using flash, maybe you could configure it to use HTML5? I know flash always has issues withfreezing :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s already on HTML5 ;A;
(I think it’s been that way for a long time, maybe switching back will do something)

I guess you can call me a “Computer Geek” but I’m still learning the basics. Hardware-Based and other stuff

I just recently built a desktop with my brother because I was long overdue for an upgrade because I was using this like maybe 6-8 year old laptop which is pretty crappy. But anyways here’s my current build.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
Drives: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400
PSU: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified
Wireless Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800

Total: ~$600

Basically, I was going for a mid-tier build because I’m so used to complete garbage (like I when I used to play LoL it was at a consistent 7fps or lower) that really anything is good. Now my only “problem” is, how do even test out my new graphics card? I don’t even play anything even remotely taxing. But anyways, I’m really liking my new computer and now I can play real games whee. I don’t even know what I’d actually play but I’ll figure it out :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You could try some benchmark programs like Firestrike!

FFXIV is pretty okay.

I don’t like what most people think of when they say IDE, I use Sublime Text, a lot of language-specific plugins and a terminal! Sublime is pricey something ridiculous, but it’s one of the best purchases I’ve ever made.

My go-to build system when it comes to C++ is CMake, which can spit out makefiles or projects for a whole bunch of IDEs and platforms. Useful both for building on different platforms, and for not locking yourself into one editor~

1 Like