Computers

I use Valley Benchmark 1.0. It’s not a game but it forces your GPU to render stuff by strolling through a forest

https://www.quora.com/Homework-Question-How-do-I-write-a-program-that-produces-the-following-output-1

Just discovered this legendary post. Seen similar things to it in the past but oh man do they go all out. People wrote it in shit like Brainfuck and Whitespace, it’s insanity.
I really want to try and write something in those languages one day. Obfuscated code and goofy languages are super cool.

Update: Now lost on http://esolangs.org/wiki/Main_Page
So much crazy shit. I love all the 2D languages.

5 Likes

I dont know if it is already common Knowledge but for everybody who dont know about that:

If you have Steam and 4 euro to spare, i highly recommend you check out the Software called “Wallpaperengine”.

It will Change your Desktop Background to all sorts of Animated Background Wallpapers created by the users using Steam Workshop ( so you dont Need to pay for it )
It is realy popular among the Anime Community ( like 50% of all the Stuff has this tag ) and there are ofc KEY Wallpapers as well.

You can make your own wallpapers as well, if you know Programming, or 3D animating ect. you can even make interaktive Wallpapers.

I give you some advise:
look at the filesize of the wallpaper you want to use, some People upload full Openings unpacked, that wont look good and it takes 500mb of your disk. I prefer Little short animations, in the best case you wont even notice that it is in a Loop.

Dont worry about your Performance , if you take my advice from above it will stress your PC with like 10-50mb RAM and 0.2% CPU, it is highly optimised ( stops if you have something other in full Screen open ) and works fine even on my 7 years old Laptop ( not even a GPU here ) or with several Monitors ( if you are one of the lucky People who have 2 or 3 )

Sry i dont want to do Advertising here ( i have nothing to do with the developers )
didnt found it on the Forum and i myself would have been happy if somebody told me earlyer as i cant imagine going back to the “normal” Wallpapers after i installed it 6 Month ago
( jeah it it that kind of Product, you dont think you Need it untill you have it )

If you make some awsome Wallpapers for Key Anime, it would be nice if you could share the link here.

1 Like

I’ve heard a lot of complaints about memory leaks and excessive CPU usage from that.

Well not for me. have it installed on 3 of my PCs ( one Desktop, one Laptop and one 7 year old Laptop ) and i have 2 Friends who use it and have no Problems with it.

I mean sure if People want to use a 3 min OP in RAW Format with 700mb size, sure go ahead ( and even than it was only bad for RAM )

As you can see: here it is 3% CPU in Idle Modus, this Wallpaper is interaktive ( to my Mouse-Cursor ) so it takes a bit more, but as soon as i open something in Full Screen it goes back to 0% CPU useage.

1 Like

There are some issues with extremely high CPU usage with certain wallpapers that are so detailed that they almost have their own physics engine, but that’s to expect. Regular wallpapers with music or simple animations hardly consume any CPU processing power.

1 Like

But the more important question is, does the app (or the users who upload stuff on the app) credit the original artists of the wallpapers they use? :yahaha:

That sort of thing is important for me, especially when I want to use something that primarily driven by community-uploaded content

It’s workshop content, so there’s people who do credit the artists, but in general, as you’d expect, no.

Well the Users are the “Creators” or must have the Rights to use something ( from Steam Workshop Point of View )
If they themself use Stuff from other sources, it is like Youtube.
Some at least give the source, but you wont be sure if the Author is fine with that.
Well no Money / Adds are involved anyway, but ofc it is not 100% legal in all cases.

You can at least allways make your own stuff and use it for yourself only, that ( in my Opinion / in Germany ) is legit.
( We have something called “privat Copy” for personal use, that is why we can use software like YT-Downloader ect as, because YT is not an obvious “illegal site” and itself has contracts with GEMA, and so on )
Many users claim they made some Animation / 3D stuff ect. and want to share it with you. In that case you have to believe them.

Not a big surprise, but the design of this new “co-op processor” is similar to the ryzen mobile processors’ infinity fabric technology. How does this make you feel? Discuss.

1 Like

Why should I care about integrated graphics? I’m not a peasant. :yahaha:

2 Likes

Because this isn’t integrated graphics in the sense that you are thinking of. It is a full desktop-style GPU with its own dedicated VRAM. (a lot like AMD A-series) The difference this time around from A-series is that you’re still going to have a great CPU.

This is brilliant! If it can actually match discrete notebook GPU performance, that is. A monster laptop paralleling desktop utility, that I can actually carry in my bag without breaking my back? It’s the dream! Until then, I’ll continue lusting over the ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Honestly, I’m more worried about the monopoly implications of this. AMD and Intel are already the only companies making x86 CPUs, them joining hands is potentially very bad for the market.

2 Likes

This looks like AMD is going to take care of the GPU part of the CPU. It doesn’t mean that they are going to stop producing and designing CPUs.

1 Like

So you can mine bitcoin while playing graphics-intensive video games!
Tho I don’t think that was their intent from the start, I am certain many people will choose to do this after all

1 Like

So the way I see it, we’re getting a new APU lineup this time around? If it’s actually not as crap as the AMD A-series relative to its current competitors, I’ll be excited to experience it hands-on, but honestly I’m skeptical it will actually beat real mid-end discrete GPUs, let alone the high-end ones. Nonetheless, this probably will be great for entry-level laptops, so I’m looking forward to it.

(If I remember correctly, the most high-end AMD APU, the AMD A10, is only equivalent to an Intel Core i3. Yeah, it was that bad. I didn’t give AMD notebook CPUs a second look until Ryzen was introduced and it was a game changer.)

1 Like

Well since i mentioned that i’m pretty skilled with computers i’ll take the chance to elaborate here. Since i was little i liked computers and spent countless hours playing games, so when i graduated from the equivalent of high school here in Argentina i thought “something computer related” and started informatics engineering, i learned the basics of programming and languages such as Python and C++ and when the object oriented programming class i was taking required to form groups for the final project that consisted in making a GUI program i partnered with a classmate that i had been talking to recently, and one day his pendrive wasn’t being read by my windows 7 computer so he said “do you have any linux distro to try to see if the drive is damaged or windows is just being silly?” i asked him what was linux like and so started my history with it, i learned how linux and the command line work quite quickly and started looking for what different distributions there were out there.

The main distro i’ve used is Arch Linux, however i’ve used Gentoo for about perhaps a year in total making my own custom kernel configuration and everything, however i’m not currently running linux (for reasons that would be too long and off-topic). As for college i dropped out because i couldn’t deal with subjects like chemistry and, well just about anything that wasn’t computer related, i did like maths (read calculus) but it didn’t make it any less difficult, so after spending 3 years in 2 different colleges i realized studying big careers was not something for me, as a result most of the things i know about linux and general “how operating systems work” topics i learned through my own research.

1 Like

I guess we can talk more about tech stuff here :smiley: I’ve always been interested in the bare bones approach of Arch Linux but it has always felt like such a bother to have to deal with installing all the drivers urgh. Especially on machines with iffy graphics and wifi cards. On that note, how do you deal with that issue?

Also which desktop environment do you use on arch (if any?). I’ve frankly fallen in love with KDE, since I’ve found it the most intuitive out of all the desktop environments I’ve tried (including macOS and windows lol). Sure it uses more memory but eh I don’t think I’ve used a machine with less than 4GB RAM in 7 years lol

1 Like

at first the do it yourself command line installation of Arch was intimidating, but nowadays i can get a desktop set up in half an hour, its just a matter of learning the command line (honestly i’ve mostly memorized the installation process).
Instalation of drivers is the same way as in any other linux distro, you look up your hardware and install the relevant package, well in the case of Arch in the wiki they have articles on how to setup the drivers for all major video card manufacturers, and the default arch kernel (as every distro kernel) comes with the drivers for all video cards as kernel modules so if the driver is for example nouveau/AMDGPU/radeon/intel then its already installed, its only for propietary drivers such as nvidia/catalyst (deprecated by AMDGPU) that you have to install the kernel-space component of it.

For desktop environment the first one i used was KDE cause it was the most windows like, and kept using it since then, i have however tried GNOME 3 and found its desktop paradigm is very interesting.

1 Like