Computers

Did someone say Install Gentoo? I’m obliged to summon @Kozumiku.

3 Likes

I currently run Cinnamon on Arch, I wanna use i3, but it’s just so much work to get working like I want it… :uee:

I used to run cinnamon for a while when KDE was in the transition process between 4 and 5 (meaning the early 5 versions) and once it stabilised/got all its features back i went back to it, in comparison KDE has a lot more features and stuff in general compared to Cinnamon, of course KDE is a huge community while Cinnamon has mostly been developed by the Linux Mint folks as an alternative to GNOME 3 while still using the shiny new GTK 3 and it might have gotten plenty more features since the last time i tried it.

Either way it fills my soul with joy to see there are fellow penguins in this community :heart:.

1 Like

First impressions of KDE: I adore Plasma, this is by far the best first impression any DE has made on me purely looking at the window manager and panels and stuff. But also what the heck is this application design??

Good thing I can change default everything, including file manager, because if you’ll excuse my french, both Konsole and Dolphin feel like visual clusterfucks.

2 Likes

Oh you actually went and tried it :+1:

Yup, KDE is one of the fanciest DEs

Hmm… what exactly looks weird? you can change how the toolbars and such are arranged and positioned which is a little hidden for Dolphin, besides on a personal review of it it’s one of the most featureful file managers i’ve used, and Konsole is a pretty standard terminal emulator. Now i haven’t made my return to the penguin OS yet so i can’t actually try anything but that’s how i remember it.

On the topic of KDE here’s a picture of a setup i had earlier this year

Exactly the reason I don’t use KDE on my $280 machine. Don’t get me wrong, KDE is great if your computer has more than enough juice to run it, but on this machine that I use daily as a portable machine, I guess using KDE would take too much system resources.

Which is why I’m sticking with MATE or Xfce. They don’t look as “barebones” as LXDE, but they’re definitely light on system resources, especially Xfce; and they’re both rock stable. MATE is a little on the heavier side, but MATE feels like a more complete package than Xfce. And since I’m not running utterly short on computing power, I figured I could spare a little more resources on running MATE instead of Xfce. I’m running Ubuntu MATE 17.10 here and it’s served me well, I don’t remember having seen an error message since I first installed it a month ago.

As some of you may know I used to run Xubuntu 17.10. Not that it’s bad, but like I said, MATE feels more like a complete package out of the box.

In case anyone’s curious about the specs of my $280 machine:
Intel Pentium N3710 (4C/4T, 2MB L2 cache, up to 2.56GHz)
4GB RAM
128GB SSD
Intel HD Graphics 405

…and if you ask me, I think I got myself quite a good deal for just $280.

1 Like

Consider trying i3-gaps, tiled WMs are way different from what most people are used to, but it takes next to no resources and can be set up to be crazy fast to work with - if you have a few hours to learn it, it’s a very “read the manual” mind of thing.

Ran across this like a week ago, sounded interesting, Sway WM, a Wayland compositor based on i3.

Anyone else besides me bought an x86 tablet with Windows 10 just to play visual novels lying down? I feel a lazy… At first I was afraid to buy and he did not meet my expectations for appearing weak, but I was surprised.

8 inch screen
Screen Resolution: 1280x800
Intel Atom Z3735G - 1.33GHz
Intel HD Graphics (no numbering)
1 GB Ram

Price: $ 50

I believe the heaviest visual novels I’ve ever played in it were Noble Works and Rewrite. None of them presented any speed problems. They worked 100%. Do you guys know any more heavy visual novels for me to try on later? (preferably in english, lol)

Whoa, $50 for that? I might actually look into getting one, comfortably being able to read VNs on the sofa without the clunkiness of my laptop would totally be worth that, even if it’s not used for anything else.

yes, for me it was a great deal. there are people who does mirror the computer screen to an android tablet, but as the price of a windows tablet was not much higher, I decided to pick him up. also by the curiosity of testing other windows programs and games on a tablet.

I got a great promotion, I tried to look for it now, but I cannot find models with only 1gb of ram so easily, at the moment there are models with 2gb of ram for $80.

Heh that looks familiar! I’m currently using this:

Pretty clunky but hey, it works fairly well for most VNs on Steam! I mostly use it on-the-go as well and the battery lasts me about 4-5 hours on airplane mode (which is as much as my 3DS lasts lol). Really the only VN I’ve had a problem with on this thing is the fault series, and those are pretty flashy for VNs

1 Like

I was wonderting if i can ask anybody here who got a gaming PC? I’m thinking build one next year.
I plan to have this specs.
I5 Intel CPU
32 GB Ram
500 GB SSD
2T HDD
6 GB Graphic card.
If anybody here got advice hit me.

Now I’m not super well versed in building computers, I’ve only built one myself, but I think it’s more important to say what kind of graphics card you’re getting, not it’s VRAM. For example, a GTX 1080. Unless you actually just don’t know what graphics card to get yet.

1 Like

DDR3 DDR4? (have a look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronous_dynamic_random-access_memory#Generations_of_SDRAM) also thats a whopping amount of RAM

as @cjlim2007 said what model video card is it?

what generation is it? (have a look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core)

DDR 4 Generation since i don’t know if i should go for the DDR 3

For Intel CPU I5 with 4 Cores and as for Graphic card 1080 GTX N-vidia

Not sure if 32 GB is overkill for PC,but i plan to stream a lot.

If you’re building it next year, then the parts list doesn’t really matter right now because prices can change so much in just a few months and you never know what sales are going to look like.

There is a lot of truth to this, especially since I’ve been looking at parts recently to figure out what sort of programming desktop to think about building. This XP/7 machine is awesome and lets you run and test so many things but it cannot handle most programming duties to save its life. It is a real dinosaur now of course! :deino: :sad:

I’ve also looked at one of the very cheap Windows 10 tablets just for reading just about anything I choose to and playing some older games, but I haven’t found one that has a decent amount of memory to start (so that Windows 10 doesn’t take up all of the 32GB by itself), can easily use a small keyboard or has one that you buy with it, and has a USB port for a controller. I haven’t looked all that hard but I came away feeling negative about what I did see because essentially I am better off buying a small laptop at that point.

1 Like

So, there have been a lot of news and speculation in the last couple of days about “cpu bugs”, i only found out around last night (Jan 3) when i opened twitter to make an unrelated tweet, since then i did a little digging and thought it would be relevant to share the information i found here since these are some pretty serious issues that affect nearly every device in the world.

A news article on TechCrunch
Another news article on Wired
And another news article on The Register

These bugs have been officially disclosed yesterday (Jan 3), however they were planned to be revealed on January 9, but the growing speculation in the media forced them to be disclosed.

They have been named Meltdown and Spectre and a website has been made for them: https://meltdownattack.com/ https://spectreattack.com/ (both websites are the same)

They have also been assigned Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures identifiers:
CVE-2017-5753 (Spectre variant 1)
CVE-2017-5715 (Spectre variant 2)
CVE-2017-5754 (Meltdown variant 3)

The most shocking aspect of these vulnerabilities is that fixing them is not easy at all since the underlying problem stems from design choices in modern processor architectures, Meltdown can be patched by OS vendors (Microsoft, Apple, Linux kernel developers) and only affects Intel processors, but Spectre is reported to affect at least AMD, Intel and ARM processors, its also much harder to fix since it would require recompiling all software with countermeasurements against it.

Wanna see them in action?

Edit and update:
Here’s Google’s official disclosure article (quite technical)
They have also made an article yesterday (Jan 4) explaining possible mitigations to them
AMD claims not to be affected by variants 2 or 3

2 Likes