Charlotte - Yuu Otosaka Character Discussion

Hello everybody and welcome again to the Charlotte Hype Train! I was supposed to make this topic yesterday but I went and forgot about it, I apologize >_<

So for this week, let us start discussion on the main protagonist of Charlotte himself, Otosaka Yuu. Any character-specific thoughts about events, his personality, his powers, and so on, are good things to bring up in this thread.

All Charlotte information may be discussed in this topic without spoiler tags. However, references to important information from other Key series must be kept in spoiler tags, with context specified.

So, any thoughts about the proclaimed rudest protagonist in all of Key’s history? Post 'em here!

2 Likes

Once again, to start the discussion on Yuu, I’d just like to say. He is, indeed, quite rude. However, his rudeness doesn’t show on the outset. He actually acts like a decent member of society on the outside, and keeps his snide remarks in his own head.

We see this in the first chapter of the 4-koma: Yuu starts acting all cool to get attention of some of the girls but doesn’t realize that his plans are being subverted by Nao, heh. Of course, his intent in this is purely for self-satisfaction, and gives off his narcissistic vibe.

Even in the special broadcast, released yesterday, it shows once again, with a preview of the first episode. (Episode 1 PV spoiler) A seemingly meek girl confesses to him, and he makes an excuse about studying as a means to reject her. However, when we hear his inner thoughts, we find out that he’s really just toying with her. Of course, my Japanese isn’t good enough to understand the whole dialogue, so I might be getting some things wrong with this :slight_smile:

tl;dr he is very egocentric, and uses it to his own advantage. This screams a whole lot of character development in store for our protagonist, if anything :wink:

4 Likes

Didn’t someone from the Charlotte post wonder a long time ago, how Ayumi would affect Yu’s personality since it seems that he’s stated as being rude, yet he has A little sister and it seems that they deeply care for each other, considering it seems that she likes talking about her day and Yu likes listening and feels happy for her. Plus, she cooks for him too, and seems very close to him. (Idunno if that was a spoiler, since it’s not a big deal. But, I guess it is since it was in the PV) Also, where’s the Nao topic ?

Mentioning Ayumi is fine and not really a spoiler :slight_smile: But hmm, I don’t think they mentioned anywhere that Ayumi specifically talks about her day to Yuu as he listens to her. But that’s really beside the point, so I won’t prod further.

But yes, it is definitely an interesting situation he has. He doesn’t seem to care much for other people that aren’t himself… Except for Ayumi, it seems. Do they have some backstory between them that explains this? I guess we won’t find out until two weeks~

Also: Charlotte - Nao Tomori Character Discussion
You should really use the search function on our forum

Like I always do, I’m speculating. I’m just taking that from hypthosizing the April 2nd promo whenever we see her and Yu talk (specifically in the cafe scene).

(Angel beats spoiler in both spoiler tags) Yu is the first Key protagonist to have a sister. (Technically Yuzuru did, but she died and wasn’t even in Angel Beats! In the afterlife. And they both had a backstory which affected the storyline and where it started and was headed to, and since Charlotte is the opposite. The sister is alive this time, unlike Angel beats, contributing to the story. I’m 98% sure that they would have a backstory.

Yeah, @Aspirety did mention how it was interesting that Yuu is the first one to have a sibling, let alone a sister. I think I can agree with you that they most certainly have a backstory.

For one… I don’t see any parents mentioned anywhere~ There has to be a reason why Ayumi is cooking for him :wink:

Eh, I wouldn’t go into consideration for that too much if I were you. Key either does (CLANNAD, AIR AND LITTLE BUSTERS SPOILER) a Family problem, such as Tomoya and his father, Misuzu and her “Mother,” and Riki and his parents.

If it’s not that, then they make up an excuse for the (ALL KEY WORKS SPOILERS THAT WASNT MENTIONED ON THE TOP POST) parents, or, don’t talk about them at all and focus more on the sibling bonds/plot element, not needing the parents. Such as how they said Kotarou’s parents were on a business trip (something like that), they didn’t even mention Yuzuru’s parents, focusing more on the sibling bond, and for Yuiichi’s parents, I haven’t seen Kanon for a while, but I think it was also a business trip, leading him to stay with his aunt and cousin. For Yu, I’m guessing they’d make the same excuse for a business trip, since saying that they died won’t really help the story, unless it was something as cruel as saying how they died to special ability users.

Other than that, I don’t think it’s something worth worrying about.

Honestly I can’t undestand Japanese very well…But…here…I saw Yuu as caring big brother…umm but more than caring…maybe overprotective over his imouto…Like–something bad happen in the past maybe???

It’s looks like he live alone with his sister without their parents---- and…if I’m not mistaken…someone use wheelchair in the very first video promotion right…I think the one who use that wheelchair is Yuu’s sister…But who know hehe…

3 Likes

Well I didn’t want to imply anything like they were dead or something like that xP But I guess it’d be easy to mistake my words for that. But yes, they might be on a business trip or some excuse that Key seems to always use!

In the promo. Ayumi was seen standing up and kneeling down to eat, she doesn’t have or need that. I always speculated the wheelchair to be used for (Kanon spoiler) Nao in the ending, due to something bad that might happen, kinda like in Kanon.

It could also be used for a Side Character since we already know that Sala, one of the side characters, is blind, and can’t see anything. so that means it could also be for them.

True. Considering that Yu is a VERY “SMART” character that’s also a student council, making the parents not worry if they go on a business trip, and knowing that Ayumi can cook.

B-but, in the PV, Nao is the one pushing the wheelchair, and not the one in the wheelchair :wink:

So I think @Ekalina’s theory has some basis for it. I was actually thinking the same thing~

[quote=“Kotarou, post:11, topic:1365”]
Considering that Yu is a VERY “SMART” character
[/quote] Wow…I forget about this…that is why he’s so popular among girls :open_mouth:

Actuaaaalllyyyyy~

Yuu has been described as a not actually smart person. He only gets insanely high grades because he uses his powers to cheat :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry about that

NOW I CAN’T IMAGINE WHAT IS YUU SUPERPOWER---- MIND READING?—TELEPORTATION??! whaa—

Do not read…this is might be a spoiler for you guys Ahh it’s make me remembered about Alice Academy story

Oooooh, you don’t know yet? :o Feel free to look at my first post in the Charlotte speculation thread, since I detailed all of their powers that have been revealed so far :wink:

Or don’t look at it if you don’t wanna be spoiled hehehehe

1 Like

I know, but I mean that he’s considered smart to other people because of his grades. I feel bad for Nao though, she’s a very smart student and is considered on the “Same-Level” as Yu in academics.

Nah, he must just be a siscon.

I’ve always thought the wheelchair involved someone in Nao’s life, a segment of her story (a threaten, more specifically the school used to make her work for them).

Some people say their stories must all be related to their powers. But, wouldn’t this make all their conflicts inner conflicts? This is something Key has never done before, as far as I know, but this would be an interesting idea.

1 Like

Wow~ thanks~ :slight_smile:

Sometimes I don’t even know when you’re joking or not anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s exactly what I’m thinking, and that’s exactly what I’m sooooo hyped about~ so much potential for character development and drama, each of which relating with how they are affected by their powers, and even how they help each other go through with it.

1 Like