Charlotte - Yuu Otosaka Character Discussion

I am not. But the “siscon” thing can be used for comedic purposes, of course.

Didn’t (Angel Beats/After Story spoilers) Didn’t Angel Beats! have inner conflict ? And CLANNAD for when After story happened and he had to choose which path he would take, as in when meeting Ushio and when the world was gonna reset.

Well then, you’re exactly right. He basically says that he’s sorry, but he doesn’t want a girlfriend right now because he wants to focus on studying. However, inside his mind he’s really thinking: Of course thats a lie! I dont care about studying!

HOLY CRAP GUYS. I just had to hide half the posts in this topic because nobody is using spoiler tags correctly.

ALWAYS PROVIDE CONTEXT FOR YOUR SPOILERS IN BRACKETS. Otherwise nobody will be able to tell if it’s something that will actually spoil them or not.

And never spoiler tag things that aren’t actually spoilers; it’s misleading.

Your posts will be unhidden if you edit them. Please get it right this time <_<

1 Like

Was Yuu always this way, or is this something that happened later? That’s something I’ll be looking for clues on while watching the anime. (I haven’t read too much from the 4-koma; only bits and pieces.)

I agree with this:

There’s a lot of room for development with personalities like that, esp. when he has a younger sibling. (She takes care of him too?)

I look forward to seeing more of Yuu in the anime, considering his power + Nao’s is pretty interesting.

It would be cool to see a dynamic where Nao hides herself from Yuu’s view, then Yuu tries to take over Nao’s mind for however long. Would it succeed? Would it not succeed? How would he react to seeing that she’s been there all along if it did succeed? But then, that’s more suited to general Charlotte speculation rather than a discussion of Yuu himself.

Anyway, I get the feeling we’ll see something tragic happen to his little sister, Ayumi. Will she get taken away? Will a power of her own develop that is detrimental? Will Yuu do something that causes her to get hurt? Maybe she’ll realize that Yuu has been cheating on all his tests… (That wouldn’t really be “tragic” though.)

So rather than looking forward to Yuu’s development specifically, I’m looking forward to seeing how the dynamics of his personality and power affect the relationships of those closest to him.

1 Like

Yu and Nao. Kanade and Yuzuru. Same concept

She definitely seems to be a lot more important than we may have initially thought, and will probably play a part in Yuu’s character development, I think. I don’t quite remember where it was stated, but I think they mentioned that Nao kind-of knows Ayumi and gets along with her? Or something like that

3 Likes

I guess I’ll be the one bumping all the topics now, huh :stuck_out_tongue:

More than anything, episode 1 was a Yuu episode. As such, I have a looooot to talk about in regards to him. I should save some stuff for the podcast, but I thought I’d share something about my analysis.

Yuu is a very unique character. If there is any one word to describe him, it is egotistical. One thing that struck me is how, despite him having easier options, he strives to go for something more difficult.

First example is the entrance exam. He spent soooo much effort tracking down whoever would get the highest grades just so he could copy from them. If he spent as much time actually studying instead, he might have even gotten the same results :stuck_out_tongue:

Next is with Yumi. So many other girls fawn over him, and yet he chooses the school’s madonna. Sure, she’s pretty, but why even bother?

So the way I see it, Yuu treats everything he does as a game to one-up everyone else. He isn’t cheating on exams to pass; he’s cheating specifically so that he can tell himself that he successfully took advantage of those people for his own benefit. And he isn’t chasing after Yumi because he necessarily likes her, it’s because if he does get her, it’ll be a victory that he was able to achieve through his manipulative means.

And that’s why he was so struck when Yumi flat-out rejected him: it wasn’t because he was rejected by a girl he likes; it was because it was a straight-out attack on his ego. His own skill failed him, and that’s what hurts him the most.

He’s a terrible person, that’s for sure; but he’s very interesting, as far as characters go.

5 Likes

Ye ye ye Papa Peeps, you right, I also noticed the effort Yu made to cheat was substantial, I feel like from his words he went to such an extent to do so to truly make his power feel like it has ‘reason’ rather than wasting it on boobs and fights, there’s a few things here and there that suggest he was having trouble giving a shit about things until he started cheating.

1 Like

I think this guy can end up beating Kotarou as my favorite Key protagonist…

nyan~ I know, but he’s sooooooooooooo cool, isn’t he? I’m very interested to see his development through the series, but I still like him the way he is.

I felt for him at that time. He looked like a king who had just been overthrown. I want to see him rejecting more girls… tehehehe

Huh, perhaps that’s another way to look at it. Still have yet to fully analyze how this guy really thinks, especially after just one episode.

I think Yuu is a very calculating person. The way he actually looked for brilliant kids in courses to ensure his success in the entrance test, the way he tried to play hero to win the heart of the school Madonna, those were very cleverly planned.

Yet, as I said in another thread, I don’t like how he purposefully made an accident to play hero. That is downright evil. He calculated to make sure that no one else but Shirayanagi is there, so he controlled Micchan - Micchon something to get away, and before the driver really hit somebody he switched right back. For some people it might look very brilliantly played, but for me that’s just cruel. If his calculation wasn’t as his expectation, Shirayanagi, the driver, other students and even himself could get into the accident. They could be dead already!

And, he tend to be overly confident with his plan. Everything is always according to keikaku (keikaku means plan) he thinks. But when it’s not, he’s in a deep mess. His pride and everything is shattered, just as @Pepe said.

He thought he already secured his place at the top of the school. And when he was accused cheating, he totally lost his cool. And when he was forced to move and never see the girl of his dream anymore, he actually believed (and too confident) that Shirayanagi will definitely chase him for good, as he is the hero who saved her life. Too bad, unlike other Key heroines, Shirayanagi is not the type who fall in love to people just because she owes him her life. So, his keikaku is failed yet again.

He wanted to get into a prestigious school and get places so to better care for his loli

One thing I’ve always been iffy to about Key works is that there are no characters who have genuinely unethical thoughts. Sure, some of them are selfish, but they are usually for innocent reasons.

Yuu, on the other hand, is downright egotistical. His thoughts are, as I see, in no way innocent, and if his motivation for doing things is as @Bizkitdoh says, I’d be pretty disappointed.

Well it’s a transition in his character I think that could be there. It was mostly a joke but you can certainly see he has a genuine soft side when it comes to his loli. He can still be an egotistical bastard that has one righteous goal that he takes a lot of pride in.

1 Like

With that I meant if he posses 5 people per test, let’s say 30 people (not including him) in his class to make it easy. All these people are not guaranteed to be smart but if it he can only use it once that’s only 6 tests he can cheat on (that’s also assuming he hasn’t previously used it on them).

So then my question of “Could he posses someone, carry his body, and keep possessing them 5 seconds at a time to cheat that limit?” that I can’t remember if I asked in the pre-release thread or just thought. Also what if the person dies while he’s in them? Does he die? I’m not sure why I’m thinking so much about his power.

(moved to this thread because I thought it would fit better here than the episode 1 discussion)

Huh, maybe he could, but it doesn’t seem like he’s found much use for that kind of continuous hijacking so far, has he?

I don’t think so but I’m trying to figure out how his power works with very little information for some reason. I guess it’s because I started a story shortly before the powers were announced where everyone in the world had these useless powers and since I’m writing it and know everything (or can make it up) I find it weird not knowing everything about his power despite only seeing episode 1. It would be cool if the anime doesn’t answer my questions if Maeda does in an interview or they release a book or something that does.

Many shows, books and also some Key works have protagonists that harbor powers similar to Yuu’s. However, usually the people possessing these powers either try to hide them, or use them for a noble cause. This brings me back to Terra route Kotarou and his super powers that he used to rid the world of “monsters”. Kotarou was not the nicest guy in the Terra route, but he didn’t abuse his powers for his own, personal benefit, unless one counted the fact that he needed to destroy the familiars to gain some purpose in life. It was therefore very funny and pleasurable to watch Yuu discover his powers and really make the best of them, take full advantage of them, and use them to propel himself to what he wanted in life. Yes, it was basically cheating, but he’s using his resources to go through life, and does what he wants in the most comical of ways. There are times in my own life when I too would want to possess the body of another so that I could hit some irritating peer of mine, and Yuu actually does this. He makes the most of what he has, and this is a fresh and different take on what someone would do if they had super powers, for me at least. Yuu’s character was so different than usual that I felt I could fully enjoy and laugh at the things he was doing. I commend Key for creating such an interesting protagonist.

2 Likes

Anyone else completely furious at how Yuu’s character could have been so amazing based on the first episode, and yet he’s become more meaningless and worthless than the side characters of-the-day?

At this point it feels like the only reason he’s even the protagonist is because we need to keep seeing Ayumi for some reason…

1 Like