Charlotte - Episode 1 "I Think About Others"

@Naoki_Saten There’s a lot to discuss about that because, well, not even Yuu knows how he got his powers. His first instance of receiving his powers, he states, is when he “thought of somebody else”

To answer your question, however, then he started asking “why am I myself” before he got his powers. I think that was made apparent enough.

As for how he got his powers from there, well… That’s a big rabbit hole. For all we know, he could have received his powers when he stared at that meteor thing~

Oh I thought you guys were talking about an anime I remember watching that show! I really liked heroes wasn’t the logo an eclipse or something.

On another note why didn’t he just posses nao while she beat him up does he have to see the person to change bodies or was he not that smart lolz

He says that it only works on people he has eyesight of.

Even if he could manage to beat the pseudo-invisibility, there were two of them, his body would have just chilled there, and 5 seconds later she’d have REALLY kicked his ass.

2 Likes

Something I just thought of (sorry if it’s been brought up I didn’t read everything just skimmed), is his power like Geass where once he uses it on someone it can never be used on them again? If that’s the case are there really enough smart people for him to cheat as it showed him using like 5 or 6 for one test. If it’s not then how long does he have to go until he can use it on them again? I’m pretty sure this hasn’t been answered but I kind of hope it does eventually.

I was actually thinking about that even before it aired, due to the fact that Yuu is so similar to Kanie Seiya from Amagi Brilliant Park, who shares his voice actor, his arrogance, his swag, and also has a power which he can only use once on someone.

They didn’t specifically say anything about it. And Yuu didnt seem to be worried about it. To answer the part about the tests, even smart people get questions wrong, so he would probably want to check all the answers with several different people.

Never specified, buuuuut no, probably not. His 5-second limit is already a weakness within itself, so making it even more flawed would be useless haha.

But yeah, the only thing that proves it is that it’s unlikely that he could cheat from different people all the time. After a few tests, he’d have been finished with all his classmates, leaving him dry.

Loved the first-half of the episode. It was refreshing to see an arrogant, selfish protagonist this time than KEY’s usual passive heroes.

The episode started stumbling when

1. His sister started talking
  2. The main character was reduced to an idiot. I’d like to see more of him besting everyone and being too smart for his own good but it seems like from here onward, he’d be both the butt of jokes and the sensible guy who’ll be pointing out other characters’s stupidity. I appreciated the episode at first because the hero had something to do than be the ‘lead guy swarmed by girls’ but this is KEY so, oh well.

Overall, it was a good episode. It’s already throwing hints and stuff all over the place, which I think what made the episode seem a bit scattered but something to ponder about at the end.

[quote=“chesca, post:77, topic:1540”]
The main character was reduced to an idiot. I’d like to see more of him besting everyone and being too smart for his own good[/quote]
Except he never was from the beginning. He just stole everyone answers and pretended to be smart. Hell, he wasnt even smart enough to know not to get 100% right on everything so people wouldnt suspect him :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This might make me sound like a white knight or whatever but I don’t want to see more of that. He’s an asshole, and he should get his just desserts for all the crazy shit he’s putting other people through.

But that’s what made the episode entertaining to me. He was funny until mid-way through.

So,I just started watching charlotte, and there is something that bugs me, wouldn’t it have been way easier to just study for the entrance test than investigate every schools of the city to find out who was going to the same high school than him?

It’s pretty funny to consider. The amount of effort he put into cheating is staggering; admirable, even. It’s almost as if he wanted to give purpose to his relatively-useless power…

1 Like

I did think about that, and my personal understanding is that Yuu thrives off of one-upping others; he gets no satisfaction from beating test scores through his own ability, rather, he gets satisfaction when he knows he is using other people for his own advantage.

At least, that’s how I used to think, back then~ Right now, I don’t know anymore

1 Like

yeah, I think this pretty much is the reason. He has this power and wants to use it to make his life more interesting. Studying for test wouldnt do that for sure, but cheating his way to the top without getting found out is pretty fun and exciting. I guess the thrill is what makes it interesting for him.

3 Likes

In preparation for Episode 13, I am rewatching the entire show (or rather, select episodes as recommended to me by @Pepe to skip all the filler) to see how I feel about the series in general, as well as to catch up with any plot details I might have missed.

I have said it before, and I will say it again: Episode 1 is a terrible start to the series. It’s not a completely unsalvageable episode, but in comparison to other Key works, this is at the bottom of the list for me. I am a big fan of Yuu’s egotistic character and his antics throughout the first half, but I am not a fan of Nao’s nosy, cold personality. Under the context of later episodes, I can understand why she has to act this way, but she could have done it in a less offensive way. Forgive me for faulting a character based on character flaws, but I just don’t like Nao as a character. I don’t understand why people find her enjoyable at all, especially since we’re placed in Yuu’s point of view.

Our introduction to Ayumi later in the episode is enjoyable as well, although for some reason I don’t feel completely entranced by her moe complexion. She feels like an expy of Kud with sprinkles of Fuko and Ayu mixed in, only without any of the charm either of those characters have. It feels weird to say that she doesn’t give me the same feeling I get with other lolis. She feels like a legitimate moeblob without any defining character traits beyond being cute. And don’t get me started on the fact that she befriends Nao, of all people… >.>

I know things get better, but this episode could have been so much more. :confused:

There’s no filler. There’s some episodes which may have problems, but you can’t just skip them.

3 Likes

[quote=“Aspirety, post:87, topic:1540”]
There’s no filler.[/quote]

Baseball.

Probably the most filler, but even that has value in the ending.