Charlotte - Episode 1 "I Think About Others"

Discussion topic for Episode 1 of the Charlotte anime series, premiering on the 4th of July, 2015. Please refer to events beyond this episode and comparisons to other works with [spoiler], otherwise you’re free to discuss anything up to and including this episode.

This topic also hosted Charlotte Anime Bookclub discussion, and was referenced in our Episode 1 Podcast.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and UK
Daisuki in North America
Hulu in North America
Viewster in North America and some of Europe
AnimeLab in Australia

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

Alright it goes live in 14 minutes on crunchyroll however I wont be able to post anything on here as Ill watch and dash since a parade is starting an hour after the showing. I’ll do my best to leave some feedback later sorry!

:edit: he kinda reminds me of lelouch from Code Geass in this picture. (He totally seems like lelouch and light!)

:edit2: And were Live!!!

:edit3: Finished it and it does have a slower pace in my opinion then angel beats did.
And while the teleportation power / run really fast power doesnt have a stop point I believe he can choose the direction hes running / teleporting. Anyway I’m out the door seeya!

There was a lot of usages of the zodiacs I noticed. I saw Scorpio next to the Key Coffee Cafe place and Sagittarius on a building just after Takajou blew up the flower shop. There were probably others that I didn’t notice but there’s a big astronomy reference there. There was also the obvious one of Ayumi looking through the telescope and talking about stars so it seems there’s far more astronomy stuff here than I originally thought.

I liked when Yu possessed the president during the test and ripped the paper as well as that plan to get the girl he wanted.

6 Likes

So, I assume we won’t be seeing Nakahara Mai and Tamiyasu Tomoe ever again; that’s a bit of a shame. I at least respect Nakahara’s character for not falling for this asshole. I’ve had problems with MCs before, but this guy is on a whole new level. I don’t think I’ve had to describe an MC as despicable before. I can easily see people have the opposite opinion, but I love Ayumi. She’s cute, I like her voice, and she says: “de gozaru”.

4 Likes

Yep, our MC is definitely the type of arrogant bastard I wouldn’t want to deal with but I think exactly that premise gives a nice possibility for character development.

Especially because of the fact that people tend to get arrogant when they have an advantage others don’t, so now that he lost that he will probably start thinking a lot different.

Also the way everything he achieved by abusing his power went down the drain in that short period of time makes a nice moralistic tale not to be like him.

2 Likes

Welp. Nothing really happened? As far as episode ones go Angel Beats certainly was more gripping since the main thing this has going for it was Yu being an amazing asshole. I’m not sure there’s anything to really say for this episode that I wouldn’t have already said about Angel Beats, but hey, we have twelve more episodes to go. So I’m just gonna put this down to it starting off a bit slow.

Exposition and world building. Not much to say.

Those smug faces though xD

1 Like

Personally I thought it was a pretty strong first episode. Introduced the cast, set up the context, etc. Pacing was nice. All the characters that were prominent were great. Whoever directed this is fucking great, so many great scenes (Takajou’s chase of Yuu in particular).

Good start good hook can’t wait until next week.

1 Like

There have already been so many “Key-like” events in this one. We had Ayumi obsessing over stars in a suspiciously Fuuko-like manner, potential amnesia (really, who could that guy at the very end of the episode have been? I was getting some Komari vibes from the whole “I don’t remember having a brother, but I see him in my dreams” thing), the reappearance of Key Coffee, the start of a potential tight knit group of friends… The list goes on.

But other than that, the first episode felt different from a lot of what they’ve done before. They weren’t lying on Yu’s profile when they said that he was different from every other Key protagonist so far- rather than being an occasionally snarky straight man that’s actually a nice guy at heart, this guy is just, in the beginning, completely unlikable. (I only say “In the beginning” because it’s only the first episode, and Key IS all about character development, so who knows). Its refreshing to have a character like this, though, even if it’s hard to root for him right now.

Still, though, I can’t shake the feeling that something bad is going to happen to Ayumi before the series is over. Those types of innocent little sister types never end up unscathed in these sorts of shoes. Of course, I could be wrong- we can hope, since she’s undoubtedly the most “moe” character so far.

And finally, Nao. She kind of reminds me of Yuri in a lot of really obvious ways, but other than that, she’s the kind of heroine that would usually be a side heroine in a Key work, not what appears to be the female lead. She’s a lot tougher at first glance than any of the earlier lead heroines, and definitely the kind of girl that won’t take no for an answer. I wouldn’t be surprised if she ended up suffering the typical Key breakdown before the end though.

But with all that said, I really enjoyed the first episode. It was nice to see Key shaking things up a bit with character types and situations, and they left just enough pieces of foreshadowing to keep me interested. Looking forward to next week’s episode, when hopefully we’ll finally get to hear the much-anticipated opening by Lia.

4 Likes

NOT BAD, NOT BAD.
Expect my thoughts in full in podcast form.
Hightlight: Takamatsu introduction and that soundtrack that played was -AMAZING-. Very fun.

2 Likes

well, I don’t know where to start!!
first, let me say this: yuu is the most badass characther of key we’ve seen so far!! I mean, he even made (light spoiler) a truck crash just to hit on a girl. Such an irreponsible way of using his power…
about the characters, I liked them all. “takamatsu” seems like an adorable idiot, nao afortunatelly doesn´t resembles tomoyo ( I don´t like tomoyo’s personality whatsoever) and ayumi is adorable ( so far) she´s like a kudo x fuko character xdxd…
about the episode, I think it was pretty good developed, the characters introduction, the context set up and the mistery ( I mean , that misterious relative they can´t recall )were great…
Btw, Am I the only one who thinks yumi was possessed when she dumped yuu???

1 Like

A great first episode! I wasn’t expecting to like Yu’s character this much at first but he’r really enjoyable. The other characters were interesting as well and felt a bit different from the other Key characters.
Also the first thing I thought of when they mentioned the ~mysterious sibling~ was the guy appearing in the PV with Nao

I wonder if they’re the same person?

2 Likes

Was pretty much everything I had hoped for, general thoughts about characters:

Loved Yuu’s smugness even though he was abusing his powers pretty badly,
Jou seems like Nao’s sidekick, already like that guy,
Nao herself seems mostly like what we all expected, so no big surprises there (yet),
Ayumi… when Nao patted her head the first thing I thought was “she misses her mother”, potential plot point there? Also dat Fuuko face at the end :3

I’d have liked to see Yumi ask Mitchon about why she ran away before the truck “accident”

[quote=“SuikaShoujo, post:12, topic:1528”]
I was getting some Komari vibes from the whole “I don’t remember having a brother, but I see him in my dreams” thing
[/quote]I second that

A first episode axe on comedy, not bad with a good characters intruduction, i have laugh so hard in this episode ^^. Love Ayumi’s expression and hope the next episode will be interesting and begin the main theme

Well, they don’t look similar… although that’s mostly judging by the hair length, which could have a reason to gotten longer… The hair colour also doesn’t really match up; though it’s difficult to tell considering the blurry violet abstracting it.

I think the mysterious sibling might be the silver haired person from the creepy Charlotte visual.

Good episode, I was laughing a lot. Yuu really is such a bastard, but still likeable somehow. Ayumi is so cute <3 Definitely looking forward to the rest.

2 Likes

I’ll use [quote=“Aspirety, post:1, topic:1528”]
Crunchyroll
[/quote]… Since it works great in my country (manga-anime-friendly).

Subtitles in English/Spanish ready, I love Crunchyroll. 1080p. Time to enjoy a new Key anime! BBL!

so I do!

I also think he might be the one who possessed yuumi and made her dump Yuu just to make sure he wouldn’t scape from the school to see her!!

Good episode. Modern backgrounds!

Anyway, this MC has been created right the way he is on porpuse, and they’ve created a true arrogant… but I feel that (since this is a Key story we all will have some empathic feelings towards him to say the least)

I laughed quite a bit at the Key’s cafe. It’s a silly joke, but it made me smile. I have a feeling that this episode contains more than we saw, much more… I was a little bit worried that the episode was a bit too slow for non-fans, so I was thinking “Please leave a good cliffhanger for non-fans”, and they did imho.´

I don’t know if this is an artistic Key / V.A. expression, but Fuko came to my mind the moment… you know.

Sibling? I think he’s probably their father. Because they mentioned their mother, but not their father. Then Ayumi asked if there was any other family member besides them, because she saw someone like it in a dream… And Yuu said no. Of course they have a father, we just don’t know what happened to him. Then, this guy might be the daddy.

So, I loved the first ep! Yuu is so damn great and cool… He’s really a good protag! Nao is cool too and Ayumi is so cute… :3 I’m looking forward to their relationship as friends.

But I wonder if the conflicts are really going to be related to their powers… With the unknown guy in the end, I have my doubts. I’m also looking forward to the OP and ED, because they haven’t been shown yet…