Charlotte - Yuu Otosaka Character Discussion

Huh, perhaps that’s another way to look at it. Still have yet to fully analyze how this guy really thinks, especially after just one episode.

I think Yuu is a very calculating person. The way he actually looked for brilliant kids in courses to ensure his success in the entrance test, the way he tried to play hero to win the heart of the school Madonna, those were very cleverly planned.

Yet, as I said in another thread, I don’t like how he purposefully made an accident to play hero. That is downright evil. He calculated to make sure that no one else but Shirayanagi is there, so he controlled Micchan - Micchon something to get away, and before the driver really hit somebody he switched right back. For some people it might look very brilliantly played, but for me that’s just cruel. If his calculation wasn’t as his expectation, Shirayanagi, the driver, other students and even himself could get into the accident. They could be dead already!

And, he tend to be overly confident with his plan. Everything is always according to keikaku (keikaku means plan) he thinks. But when it’s not, he’s in a deep mess. His pride and everything is shattered, just as @Pepe said.

He thought he already secured his place at the top of the school. And when he was accused cheating, he totally lost his cool. And when he was forced to move and never see the girl of his dream anymore, he actually believed (and too confident) that Shirayanagi will definitely chase him for good, as he is the hero who saved her life. Too bad, unlike other Key heroines, Shirayanagi is not the type who fall in love to people just because she owes him her life. So, his keikaku is failed yet again.

He wanted to get into a prestigious school and get places so to better care for his loli

One thing I’ve always been iffy to about Key works is that there are no characters who have genuinely unethical thoughts. Sure, some of them are selfish, but they are usually for innocent reasons.

Yuu, on the other hand, is downright egotistical. His thoughts are, as I see, in no way innocent, and if his motivation for doing things is as @Bizkitdoh says, I’d be pretty disappointed.

Well it’s a transition in his character I think that could be there. It was mostly a joke but you can certainly see he has a genuine soft side when it comes to his loli. He can still be an egotistical bastard that has one righteous goal that he takes a lot of pride in.

1 Like

With that I meant if he posses 5 people per test, let’s say 30 people (not including him) in his class to make it easy. All these people are not guaranteed to be smart but if it he can only use it once that’s only 6 tests he can cheat on (that’s also assuming he hasn’t previously used it on them).

So then my question of “Could he posses someone, carry his body, and keep possessing them 5 seconds at a time to cheat that limit?” that I can’t remember if I asked in the pre-release thread or just thought. Also what if the person dies while he’s in them? Does he die? I’m not sure why I’m thinking so much about his power.

(moved to this thread because I thought it would fit better here than the episode 1 discussion)

Huh, maybe he could, but it doesn’t seem like he’s found much use for that kind of continuous hijacking so far, has he?

I don’t think so but I’m trying to figure out how his power works with very little information for some reason. I guess it’s because I started a story shortly before the powers were announced where everyone in the world had these useless powers and since I’m writing it and know everything (or can make it up) I find it weird not knowing everything about his power despite only seeing episode 1. It would be cool if the anime doesn’t answer my questions if Maeda does in an interview or they release a book or something that does.

Many shows, books and also some Key works have protagonists that harbor powers similar to Yuu’s. However, usually the people possessing these powers either try to hide them, or use them for a noble cause. This brings me back to Terra route Kotarou and his super powers that he used to rid the world of “monsters”. Kotarou was not the nicest guy in the Terra route, but he didn’t abuse his powers for his own, personal benefit, unless one counted the fact that he needed to destroy the familiars to gain some purpose in life. It was therefore very funny and pleasurable to watch Yuu discover his powers and really make the best of them, take full advantage of them, and use them to propel himself to what he wanted in life. Yes, it was basically cheating, but he’s using his resources to go through life, and does what he wants in the most comical of ways. There are times in my own life when I too would want to possess the body of another so that I could hit some irritating peer of mine, and Yuu actually does this. He makes the most of what he has, and this is a fresh and different take on what someone would do if they had super powers, for me at least. Yuu’s character was so different than usual that I felt I could fully enjoy and laugh at the things he was doing. I commend Key for creating such an interesting protagonist.

2 Likes

Anyone else completely furious at how Yuu’s character could have been so amazing based on the first episode, and yet he’s become more meaningless and worthless than the side characters of-the-day?

At this point it feels like the only reason he’s even the protagonist is because we need to keep seeing Ayumi for some reason…

1 Like

I’m not furious about it but it is weird how he was set up as the protagonist yet Nao is a lot more important than him in episodes 2 and 3 to solving the problems. We even know more about her than we do Yuu. With the current set-up I would have preferred Nao be the main protagonist and episode 1 was just meant to show her recruiting someone from their perspective.

1 Like

Feeling the same, but I think he’s going to have a bigger purpose later…

But it’s still early. Yuu must have a good reason to be the protagonist, we just didn’t see it yet… Those problems aren’t the main conflict of the series anyway…

A few people are complaining about that, yes. I mean, I personally don’t care as I dislike that side of Yuu, but I do see why; Nao (and the school in itself) is keeping him on a preeetty tight leash.

I felt it was a bit of a shame we didn’t get to see more of his asshole side in a lighthearted way beyond the first half of the first episode, I thought that was pretty damn hilarious. But the second episode basically made it impossible for more of that to happen now.

Its not even that he’s no longer an arrogant douchebag, which while I am disappointed in, I can deal with. But he literally just stands there and doesnt do anything except for every once and a while making a tsukkomi. Most of the time I forget he’s even there!

1 Like

Joujirou is more relevant at this point…

I think Yuu just has to get used to his new environment and find a goal first. He was dragged to a different school to live in a different dorm and being ordered around to do stuff he only does in order to get paid.

He has no personal interest in his current everyday life. No real motivation. He wants to be popular, not save unfortunate kids. And he gets dragged into Joujirou’s and Nao’s pace because, well, they’re better at doing their jobs than Yuu is.
So yeah, those are the two Conditions that have to be met in order for Yuu to go back to his true, badass self: Settle in and set himself a new goal. The former just needs some time, the latter can could happen at any time, it’s something that can change within just one episode. If his heart is moved by the fate of someone he gets in contact with during his missions, he might dedicate himself to saving people like Nao. Or he might find a whole different goal which should make him more confident overall, regardless of what exactly it is.
But right now, he’s not doing stuff he wants to do. His situation has changed, so he doesn’t even really know what he wants to do. No wonder he’s looking kinda pathetic right now.

I’m sure, now that the exposition episodes are over and we have the main characters around, Yuu will find a reason to return to his arrogant self, or have some sort of “I shouldn’t be wasting my time with this” outburst which causes all sorts of drama later.

Yuu was a dramatic change from your average good hearted Key protagonist, at first I was intruiged seeing someone so narcissistic, but he quickly fell to being as generic as Otonashi was. I suppose because he was thrown into such a new situation he hasn’t really had time to recuperate and act like the narcissist he is, so hopefully in the next few episodes we’ll see more of that. If it’s never revisited I’ll be a bit irritated, it could have made from some very interesting character development

I’m not sure who here has seen Amagi Brilliant Park but Yuu is almost exactly like the protagonist in that. They act similar, look the same, both voiced by Kouki Uchiyama. I’m currently watching that and it got me thinking, because this isn’t a typical “solve all the girl’s problems and they fall in love with you” Key story from a visual novel the “douche bag” protagonist isn’t really anything special. Sure it’s interesting but it’s not really unique to Charlotte’s setting. Maybe once the switch-up happens in episode 6 he’ll be more interesting.

1 Like