Charlotte - Yuu Otosaka Character Discussion

I’m not furious about it but it is weird how he was set up as the protagonist yet Nao is a lot more important than him in episodes 2 and 3 to solving the problems. We even know more about her than we do Yuu. With the current set-up I would have preferred Nao be the main protagonist and episode 1 was just meant to show her recruiting someone from their perspective.

1 Like

Feeling the same, but I think he’s going to have a bigger purpose later…

But it’s still early. Yuu must have a good reason to be the protagonist, we just didn’t see it yet… Those problems aren’t the main conflict of the series anyway…

A few people are complaining about that, yes. I mean, I personally don’t care as I dislike that side of Yuu, but I do see why; Nao (and the school in itself) is keeping him on a preeetty tight leash.

I felt it was a bit of a shame we didn’t get to see more of his asshole side in a lighthearted way beyond the first half of the first episode, I thought that was pretty damn hilarious. But the second episode basically made it impossible for more of that to happen now.

Its not even that he’s no longer an arrogant douchebag, which while I am disappointed in, I can deal with. But he literally just stands there and doesnt do anything except for every once and a while making a tsukkomi. Most of the time I forget he’s even there!

1 Like

Joujirou is more relevant at this point…

I think Yuu just has to get used to his new environment and find a goal first. He was dragged to a different school to live in a different dorm and being ordered around to do stuff he only does in order to get paid.

He has no personal interest in his current everyday life. No real motivation. He wants to be popular, not save unfortunate kids. And he gets dragged into Joujirou’s and Nao’s pace because, well, they’re better at doing their jobs than Yuu is.
So yeah, those are the two Conditions that have to be met in order for Yuu to go back to his true, badass self: Settle in and set himself a new goal. The former just needs some time, the latter can could happen at any time, it’s something that can change within just one episode. If his heart is moved by the fate of someone he gets in contact with during his missions, he might dedicate himself to saving people like Nao. Or he might find a whole different goal which should make him more confident overall, regardless of what exactly it is.
But right now, he’s not doing stuff he wants to do. His situation has changed, so he doesn’t even really know what he wants to do. No wonder he’s looking kinda pathetic right now.

I’m sure, now that the exposition episodes are over and we have the main characters around, Yuu will find a reason to return to his arrogant self, or have some sort of “I shouldn’t be wasting my time with this” outburst which causes all sorts of drama later.

Yuu was a dramatic change from your average good hearted Key protagonist, at first I was intruiged seeing someone so narcissistic, but he quickly fell to being as generic as Otonashi was. I suppose because he was thrown into such a new situation he hasn’t really had time to recuperate and act like the narcissist he is, so hopefully in the next few episodes we’ll see more of that. If it’s never revisited I’ll be a bit irritated, it could have made from some very interesting character development

I’m not sure who here has seen Amagi Brilliant Park but Yuu is almost exactly like the protagonist in that. They act similar, look the same, both voiced by Kouki Uchiyama. I’m currently watching that and it got me thinking, because this isn’t a typical “solve all the girl’s problems and they fall in love with you” Key story from a visual novel the “douche bag” protagonist isn’t really anything special. Sure it’s interesting but it’s not really unique to Charlotte’s setting. Maybe once the switch-up happens in episode 6 he’ll be more interesting.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing about him being like the amagi protagonist, it would be fascinating if they decided not to take a romantic approach for once

That’s actually a good point. Even if there’s an epilogue that shows Yuu married or something no actual romance being shown would be quite interesting for Key.

1 Like

It would be good to focus just on friendship, but I don’t think it’d have a positive response in Japan…

1 Like

The air TV show didn’t really have any romance and that’s a classic, but you’re right they will make whatever gets them money, and romance sells

Air TV was more about helping the girl before the “stuff” happened. If there was love, it would be tragic, and not appealing. Isn’t Yukito like 28 and Misuzu like 16 ? I’m basing this on the fact that Yukito is a traveler and doesn’t go to school.

I think there’s gonna be romance. That blushing in the end of last ep… Anyway, if there’s romance, I just hope they do it right, and develop it in a right way, with insight and feels, but not like Rin x Riki romance…

1 Like

I’m not feeling the Nao x Yuu pairing so much.

Joujirou x Yusa, on the other hand, I’m hopeful.

But yeah anything would be better than the Rin x Riki romance, that was just laughable =3=

I find it laughable that people still try to categorize their relationship as “romance”…

2 Likes

i never thought of that actually happenings, it would be absolutely adorable

I think there may have been some wasted potential in episode 4 with regards to Yuu’s personality. Other episodes required him to keep his power in check which is understandable considering his situation.

But episode 4 but him in a very competitive situation which would have allowed him to shine in terms of smug badassery. He could have easily taken advantage of the other players, and in numerous ways other than how he did it now, but he didn’t.

It’s not something I hate but it definitely is starting to feel like Yuu is starting to change his personality way too fast. I guess some people noticed that early on, but only at this point do I feel like there is concrete evidence towards it.