Charlotte - Nao Tomori Character Discussion

Hey there everybody! As preparation for Charlotte, which will be airing soon, I will be rolling out character discussions, with one character every week! We shall start with none other than the cover girl for Charlotte: Tomori Nao. Any character-specific thoughts about events, her personality, her powers, and so on, are good things to bring up in this thread.

All Charlotte information may be discussed in this topic without spoiler tags. However, references to important information from other Key series must be kept in spoiler tags, with context specified.

So, what do you all think about our gluttonous Student Council President? Discuss below!

5 Likes

To start off the discussion, Iā€™d like to first say: I am extremely glad that she isnā€™t a Kanade clone! Itā€™s great that she has not just some emotion, but quite a lot of emotion to her! So far, the only thing Iā€™ve read are the first two chapters of the Charlotte 4-koma and in there, we get a glimpse of her personality: She is gluttonous, takes her works very seriously, but canā€™t help getting all excited and manic about things she loves (like food and ZHIEND). Itā€™s really nice to see somebody with that sort of ā€œgenkiā€ personality, but still manages to keep a level head. Ayane Sakura also gives a great personification to that manic personality, as Iā€™ve seen from the ABC alarm app.

Character design is really great, too. I think her whole appearance jives well with her power. Her silver hair, for example, makes her feel very ghost-like, which is perfect considering her power. However, itā€™s the kind of ghostly feeling that you donā€™t necessarily feel afraid of; itā€™s the kind that draws you in and makes you even more curious about her.

tl;dr Nao is a really great character and has arguably the most personality out of all the Key heroines :wink:

1 Like

I canā€™t unhear Natsumi!! D:

But from what I know so far, Nao seems very likeable, canā€™t wait to see her in action

2 Likes

Oh well she is a cutie and I really like her design. Canā€™t wait to see more of her

Thats a pretty big statement, considering we basically know nothing about her besides some general characteristicsā€¦

Iā€™d argue that several Angel Beats! heroines have a lot of personality, and it seems like Maeda is sticking with that trend, hopefully.

1 Like

Iā€™ve already said this but Iā€™m going to repeat it: I think Nao will be an antagonist initially, specially because some phrases in the PV, and the fact that she is a member of the student council.

I like her character design, but PA Works seems to have screwed it. I also like her seiyuu.

I doubt sheā€™ll be an antagonist since shes supposed to be the main heroine she just might get on the main characters case a lot but since shes the president of the council i think sheā€™ll be the one leading the efforts to help the students. In anycase I cant seem to find an english translated 4-koma can anyone lead me in the right direction? :,(

Let me explain myself, then. I donā€™t really mean an antagonist, but some sort of anti-heroine. She is from the student council. The school is ā€˜watchingā€™ the special people, thatā€™s why they use cameras (we canā€™t know why, but when I saw the PV, I assumed the school was doing some ā€˜badā€™ stuff). Maybe Nao doesnā€™t exactly agree with the school, but I think she is being threatened by it. (We saw her with a wheelchair in the PV, so maybe thereā€™s a relative or something?)

So, I think she does ā€˜badā€™ stuff because the school orders her, and when Yuu finds out, she has to go against him. This would all be, of course, in the beginning. Later, she would show her dere side.

Except their all on the student council or is my information wrong? Sheā€™s just the president being the leader of the group

From the 4-koma (and iirc the PV too) we know that Yuu did not start out at Hoshi no Umi. Nao and Jojirou come and recruit him because he has powers.

The others couldā€™ve been blackmailed as well. As for Yuu, they tricked him by hiding Hoshi no Umi secrets.

She looks cute in the one or two pictures they accidentally released of her smiling and Iā€™m upset they insist on marketing her with the frumpy grump face.

Iā€™m glad sheā€™s not happy all the time I mean those kinds of people annoy me Iā€™d rather have a 80% serious 20% happy character then the other way around

1 Like

Yeah, too happy girls are too common IRLā€¦

1 Like

Except you can be serious and happy at the same time.

An seemingly overall calm and serious character who actually knows how to smile is an annoyingly rare treat, assuming Nao-Nao does it at a decent enough frequency and not just a blink and youā€™ll miss it for impact frequency.

2 Likes

I think you should learn from her, @Kanon :wink:

Sheā€™s my favorite from (what I recall of) the 4-koma.

I donā€™t really have any expectations of her character. I get the impression sheā€™ll have some Kanade-like moments, but donā€™t see her as being that way throughout. (I mean, she wasnā€™t really presented that way either.)

Just for fun, Iā€™m going to make a baseless prediction. She falls in love with Yuu (not the other way around). I have no rationale behind this.

4-koma already has the first signs of Yuu falling for Nao], unfortunately.

Yup! Thatā€™s what makes it so fun. Maybe weā€™ll see the situation flipped out of nowhere. xP

But yeahā€¦ That is a bit of a problem.

I donā€™t want her to fall for Yuuā€¦ This way it will be difficult to understand (girl feelings like this should only be explored in shoujos).