Charlotte - Nao Tomori Character Discussion

YES
VERY MUCH YES

Like, hmm… I get what you’re saying, and I admit there’s a possibility, but… Personally, I feel that that won’t be the way that they will be going? I feel that Nao would be more inward-focused, and I also feel that most of the drama surrounding her would be related to her power of “disappearing”. Like, I have this feeling that she wants to be noticed and her power strongly goes against it.

At this moment, I can’t say you’re right, but I can’t say you’re wrong either. So we just gotta wait to find out!

Well, on that case, Yuu is really narcissistic, so I think he’d fall for any chick, just to stroke his ego :stuck_out_tongue: Of course we have to wait for CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT

=_= If you don’t wanna understand their feelings, don’t force yourself to. The characters are there to help make a good story, and if that involves complicated emotions, let them do so

1 Like

Sounds like someone has difficulty interacting with the opposite sex.

2 Likes

Yuu aside, I for one have already fallen for her :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s not like this. I just mean feelings from a girl are difficult to be received by male watchers.

Not at all. I just have difficulty understanding the opposite sex. Actually, I have difficulty understanding everyone, but in this case, just girls.

4 Likes

This is getting off-topic, but the first step you should take is understanding them not as girls, but as fellow human beings. Their thought processes aren’t as different as you might think.

But hey;

In that case, since you’re aware of it, then don’t force yourself to do so. You can stick with stories that don’t offer much emotional depth, in that case

3 Likes

WUT!!! For God’s sake, no! Those slice-of-life shows aren’t as good as LB!, Rewrite or anything with emotional depth. Sorry, because I didn’t express myself clearly.

Fiction is one thing. I can pretty much understand human’s emotions there because I’m also a human being and I can relate to them, and we see ‘everything’ we need to see to understand the characters. Also, in VNs, books, LNs the protagonist’s thoughts are explicit to us through the narrative.

I don’t understand anyone because I can’t see through their thoughts and emotions. I don’t get really intimate with anyone, so everyone in the world except me feels like a flat character. I can’t see through their actions and words, because I don’t know much about them, aside the ‘surface’. This doesn’t apply to fiction, though.

I will see Charlotte, and I’m not going to force myself on it, because I like emotional stories. Girls’ feelings are hard to understand for me, because I’ve never see a girl fall in love and I can’t understand why and how does a girl fall in love. I even doubt girls’ capacity to fall in love. If they want to put it like this, okay, I’m not going to drop the show because of it. Just saying it will be more difficult to relate that to myself and understand it.

[quote=“sillylittlemelody, post:27, topic:1334”]
I don’t understand anyone because I can’t see through their thoughts and emotions.
[/quote]Aspergers? And I just saw your reply on fuwa

So, since I see it mentioned quite often, is the 4-koma available anywhere on the nets? I’d like to take a look at it so I can actually participate in the discussion^^

Okay, so let me get this straight: You like stories with emotional depth, but not if they involve romance? Because you can’t understand romance when they come from girls?

That’s severely limiting. Part of the emotional depth is having the opportunity to try to understand characters based on what you know from the story. Putting in something that is easily understandable, either because their thoughts are narrated or because their emotions are fairly simple, limits the amount of emotional depth you get.

I, for one, love Key’s stories exactly because of their emotional depth, and would love to see Charlotte have a lot of it, even if it is something complicated that I may or may not understand. Because if I don’t, I will attempt to understand it. I’ll be the first one to post about it here, because I want to understand it.

So if you don’t want to understand it, I repeat, don’t force yourself. But I honestly think it limits the kind of appreciation you would obtain from the story.

2 Likes

So after watching episode 1… Nao seems a lot more like Yuri than I expected. She’s definitely very pushy, and seems to have a no-nonsence tolerance. This feels very different from what I’ve seen in the 4-koma!

So far I’m pretty neutral about it, but I do want to see how that brings up her character development, since she is a lot more strong than I initially expected

3 Likes

I like Nao :joy::grin::smile: She’s the first Key heroine to actually have a strong personality, not being weak or shy or whatsoever. (Excluding Yumemi, Kanade, and the Harmonia girl). I like how she and Yu can’t stand each other. Nao is by far one of the best Key girls

So after that first episode she is actually the character I like least for now. Yes, even less then Yuu.

Still my favorite, so far. She has a pretty strong personality, it seems, but her interaction with Ayumi in the first episode showed a bit more of a playful side. Anyway, now we know what the camera was for. xP (Unless, she was just stalking Yuu and everything else just happened to occur…)

She tells (or implies to) Yuu that he shouldn’t use his powers in ways that aren’t “good.” It seems that she follows that principle very well herself. (The way she cornered Yuu could be viewed as “for justice,” while the use of her power on Ayumi made Ayumi happy without causing (immediate) harm.) However, that interaction with Ayumi could also be considered as “flaunting” her power. In a sense, you could say that Nao is a fairly righteous person then. I say “righteous” because the way she “abuses” her power for entertainment isn’t necessarily a good act, even if no harm (immediately) came of it.

I’m not saying she’s arrogant or stubborn though. Just strong-willed, and I think that suits her character well.

We’ll see how she develops!

…so not the first?

I’d hardly say Ayu and Misuzu lack strong personalities either, they’re girly and even a bit dim, but they’re aggressive and energetic, especially Ayu.

1 Like

I didn’t consider Planetarian because it was short. I didn’t consider Harmonia since it wasn’t released. And I didn’t consider Angel beats because Kanade didn’t really have character development. By strong personality, I mean, strong-willed in the human nature. Something that actual people could relate to and not something that has been in the anime-universe for a few years now.

1 Like

Episode 2 was definitely a Nao episode, and boy do we get a lot of personality out of her! Finally we see her gluttonous side, eating a rice meal on an express train, no less :stuck_out_tongue: We also see how she’s pretty good at “manipulating” other people. She knows Yuu’s weak spot already, and is effective enough at taunting the archery club guy. She’s definitely very strong-willed, being able to look head on at a guy about to shoot an arrow into her face.

Definitely her backstory has something to do with that. She’s been through a lot, and it shows. No normal person would be able to react the way she does, especially with her own brother. She’s definitely had time to cope with things, but being able to deal with her brother being like that is something very strong about her, and I look up to her for that.

Nao is a really great character, I think. Quirky, strong-willed, and still pretty down-to-earth. We’re seeing a lot about her, and I’m liking what I’m seeing :wink:

4 Likes

A little too much personalities honestly, feels like there is one too many people in there.

1 Like

+1, where did this girl come from like what, I mean I’m all for sporadic and all but it feels really jarring. Maybe it’ll even out some.

It seems pretty consistent with the 4-koma, though. Like, she is super-random there, I swear

I think at this point, we can confidently say that Nao rapidly changes her personality depending on the situation she’s in and the people she’s dealing with. And she’s good at it. Her lines are effective and her “opponents” get caught up in her pace.

1 Like