Charlotte - Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

I’d say ‘yeah that’ usually I’d be fine with 13/26 either way, but Maeda has shown he has a problem not writing too damn much.
Works for a VN(and even then some of his stuff can drag), not for a cartoon.

Ooh I just saw it on the website as well!

Kanji is a bit hard to read for now, so I can’t comment on most of the episodes. However, it is veeery interesting that Episode 11 is entitled “Charlotte”. This might actually be the second time (after little busters) that the title of a Key work is an actual thing in the series… Or not :stuck_out_tongue: Only time will tell~ But at this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if the word “Charlotte” is uttered in the series at least once.

That’s what I’ve been trying to say for the longest time >_< So yeah, I do hope they wrote it well enough to stay within the bounds of this episode limit.

I dunno man, nobody in Air seemed to be particularly short on oxygen, I think the air was pretty damn present in that.

1 Like

I find it more weird that’s episode 11 and not 13. I might just miss it but don’t most anime that name an episode after the show name then finale not a couple episodes before it?

Not sure if the :stuck_out_tongue: face meant this was a joke but Little Busters and Rewrite?

Forgive me as I totally forgot about Little Busters when I was writing that post. I don’t know why I did, but I did.

But when I say “an actual thing” I meant something that the characters refer to in the series. Rewrite is more a concept than a “thing”, I think.

Well, uhh… You’re not wrong…

We have translated episode titles from an anon from /a/. Spoiler-tagged in case you don’t want any hints.

I Think of Someone Else
Melody of Despair
Love and Flames
The Ephemeral Truth
The Sound Once Heard
Oblivious Happiness
At the End of Escape
Chance Encounter
A World not Here
Pillage
Charlotte
Promise
Records From Today Forth

4 Likes

Episode 1 shenanigans
Implied Episode 2 drama, confirming it’s doomed from the get go because YOU CAN’T DO THAAAAAAAAAAT
Comedy episode
Twiests and turns all around, expand world
Hello music eccentric episode
Considering the next one is the ‘end’ of the escape, this is probably the start
Pretty sure everyone already knows they’re gonna ‘escape’ from the school
A chance encounter? With the Angel Beats cast.
The world not here? You mean the afterlife? I guess they’re dead now.
Pillage, as in ‘pillaging assets and writing from the last show we made’
Meteors
Kanon reference lel
See, she is recording everything

I may have stopped being serious about half way though.

So I went ahead and translated the titles. Some of the kanji were pretty hard o.o Will tag it in a spoiler, in case people don’t wanna see:

Episode 1: Waga Tanin wo Omou (I think of other people)

• We’ve already been hinted about this many times; This refers to Yuu’s inner thoughts
    Episode 2: Zetsubou no Senritsu (Melody of Despair)
  • Not sure what this could refer to, but considering the student council’s jobs, I am guessing a student has a melody-related power that they need to help out?
    Episode 3: Koi to Honoo (Love and Flames)
  • I’m thinking this will be a Yusa episode. Misa has already been confirmed to be able to create flames, so that’s what tipped me off
    Episode 4: Setsuna no Honki (Truth of the Moment)
  • A bit too general so I can’t make any comments about this
    Episode 5: Itsuka Kiita Oto (The Sound I Once Heard)
  • This seems like it’ll refer to something that happened in the past; Ooooh backstory~
    Episode 6: Kidzukanakatta Shiawase (The Happiness I Didn’t Notice)
  • The twitter previously confirmed this as the “turning point” of the series; the title definitely implies some sort of regret
    Episode 7: Touhikou no Hate ni (At the End of Escape)
  • This seems to tie into the other poster we’ve seen; Two people trying to escape from some facility
    Episode 8: Kaikou (Chance Meeting)
  • Possibly tied up with the previous episode? Someone comes to save them (If so, I bet on Joujirou!)
    Episode 9: Koko ni nai Sekai (The World That Isn’t Here)
  • This is where it gets interesting… The first thing that comes to mind here is the afterlife, and that adds even MORE ties to Angel Beats. Hrrrrrrmmmm…
    Episode 10: Ryakudatsu (Plunder)
  • Also a kind of general title, so I can’t think of anything in particular
    Episode 11: Charlotte
  • MUH CHARLOTTE
    Episode 12: Yakusoku (Promise)
  • Either a promise made in the past, or a promise to be kept for the future
    Episode 13: Korekara no Kiroku (The Record From Here on)
  • Sounds like a pretty good title for a final episode; implies hope for the future, and such

Very interesting titles, I think. I’m getting more and more curious as to how this thing will go.

OH MY GOD
I just realised Yuu’s name is a pun. “Why am I myself and not somebody else?” Yuu = You.

Heh.

3 Likes

I promised myself to avoid any kind of spoilers but I couldn’t resist and gave a look at the episode titles and now HYPE HYPE HYPE
Only one day left!!

2 Likes

OMG, the HYPE is so huge!!!
I think the name of an episodes by itself doesn´t say too much ( I think that’s why they posted the names)…
I just hope “charlotte” episode to have as much feels as “little busters!” episode from little busters.
I cannot stand this haipu!!!

1 Like

Cross fingers… lets hope they’ve really learn from their mistakes.

Anyway, I have true trust in them… because if they were able to create something good from a mistake (quote Jun Maeda himself) in AB, if they were able to compress that full season story into a small one… even with all those problems they were still able deliver a good product, and made us have fun and shed some tears, then I’m truly confident they will do it quite right this time.

HYPE!

2 Likes

I do think 1 cour is a wasted potential though, with all the money they have they could’ve done a longer series…

Could’ve isn’t always should’ve, and less can certainly be more.

That said we’re not starting this again. Donezo. It’s 13 episodes and that’s that unless we hear otherwise. Wait until it finishes to judge what it could’ve been.

1 Like

Aight listen up, longer is not better.
The appropriate length depends on the story, you don’t need any more than an hour/three episodes to tell a completely solid story if you play your cards right. And on the flipside, filling 26 episodes with meaningful content is not always that easy either, if one can, more power too them, that’s fantastic, but it’s not always optimal.

6 Likes

Well, you can just satiate your desire for more Charlotte with this newly announced manga: http://kazamatsuri.org/new-charlotte-manga-announced/ :wink:

Maeda obviously can do it. He wrote visual novels, that are much much longer than animes. So this is no excuse.

There is only so much interactions and development you can do with five characters as opposed to an entire baseball team. I bolded meaningful for a reason.

1 Like

Hey everybody! Just an hour and a half to go until Charlotte broadcast (3 hours for worldwide simulcast). As such, you may have noticed that this topic does say pre-release discussion. What happens after this? Well, I’d like to keep this as an archive of what we, as members, thought about Charlotte before it was released. After Charlotte is officially released, I would recommend that all discussion be put into the specific topics, namely:

• Per episode discussion will go into the specific episode topic, which will happen as we make them
  • Character discussion should go into the specific character discussion topic, which I have already made for most of the main cast
  • All uncategorized Charlotte discussion should go into the Charlotte General Discussion topic. This could include thoughts about the Charlotte universe, the setting, and other related discussion.

As we go into a close, I’d like to leave this topic for everyone to answer one final question: What are you most looking forward to see in Charlotte, before it airs? We’ll be closing down the topic a few hours after episode 1 is out, so I hope all of you can post your thoughts on this question :wink:

To answer my own question: what am I most looking forward to? Firstly, I am looking forward to more inward-focused character conflict. I like the idea of them having powers, and how their powers could somehow instill into the characters negative thoughts about themselves. Yuu seems to heavily doubt his own identity because of his power, and I am hoping that Nao would somehow feel isolated because of her own power.

Second thing I am most looking forward to is an explanation of their powers. I am expecting that that is something that would be tackled in the later episodes, and hope this provides some sort of “twist” in the story. It’s definitely going to go down a darker road, as we have seen from the posters, so I am definitely excited as to how they plan to execute that!

So, what are you guys looking forward to?

The first thing I’m looking forward too will be the opening and ending songs. Those will also be the first thing I will see, because I will download the raw just for that. I will wait a few hours for a translation ofcourse :wink:

1 Like