Charlotte - Episode 7 "The End of the Exodus"

Yeah, it’s not that I particularly dislike Yuu, he’s just not a very interesting character. This new episode could have changed that though, I’m interested to see how he’ll act in the next episode

Haven’t read the two VN’s you mentioned, so that explains that.

That’s fair. The changes Yuu went through in this episode coupled with his dynamic with Nao made me like him more this episode, but I could definitely see why you wouldn’t. I definitely think it’s a bit of a problem that Yuu only really has a personality when he’s around Nao. One could chalk it up to her bringing him out of his shell but it kinda feels like lazy writing

To me he seems just as dull around her as he does anyone else, but I guess around her he has more of a reason to speak up because she is constantly forcing him into situations. I’m hoping after this episode he’ll be a bit more of an active character

Good point. I don’t want that either (for those dramas we have Welcome to the NHK)… Nevertheless it felt slightly rushed, specially how everything solved. But I know what you mean.

I was watching the show in Spanish, and the translation was quite similar. I don’t think it is a mistake, unless the translators for both English and Spanish at Crunchyroll are the same guys.

I think it started. Related: By the way, I wonder if there would be a second core (half-season). There was a rumour that spread from a magazine note before the show even started, can’t remember the source.

1 Like

Can anyone who watched on Daisuki comment on what she says? I find Daisuki to be generally bad sub wise so if they have the same things Crunchyroll might be using their’s for some reason.

Trust Japan to have the final straw not being spending all his nights inflicting grievous bodily harm on dozens of men, but attempting to use drugs for the first time…

1 Like

I think Nao meant he literally would not be able to turn back if he used the drug

1 Like

This episode makes me remember CLANNAD. For a long time I can see again the feeling of loss of most important thing.

Nah but where is the girl who ran to school ? And the man too, where are they ? To think little more, I don’t know why they announced Ayumi’ death so soon, right time Yuu woke up. The “fake death” can be considered, Ayumi could be kidnapped by the science, in my opinion. Oh my, I just can’t believe that “sudden death”, Maeda haven’t ever written it before. (Or because of the short length of Anime series I feel “sudden” or not ?). The Aymi is just beginningof the storm.

The summary of Maeda’ interview on G’s magazine (My friend translated to Vie and I just trans to Eng to understand)
“Otosaka Yuu will change, because of a certain one’s death. Yeah, an important person dead. I know the viewer would say “Don’t do that (sh*t) anymore!!”, oh please forgive me, but it was like that.”

Anyway, go to main point of this episode. Like Tomoya, he went out and did something to reduce (or forget > ) this pain, and he woke up from his grave after receiving “nostalgia-related things”. We have nothing to say about this episode, like the sky after the storm, peaceful; except the final sence at the final, music, tears, meal (ww) all is in one to make the best moment ever since I watched CLANNAD. Damn feeling… And Nao is still Nao, cold but sentiment, like Kanade…

I said too long… need stop…

1 Like

I know that’s what it said - must be a damn powerful drug if that’s completely literal. But I’m obviously taking it as a reflection of Japan’s views on drug use instead, as it’s unlikely a single whatever-drug-he-was-gonna-take would do more damage than the constant cycle of violence Yuu was inflicting upon himself.

As for the Misa line, can confirm that is essentially what she says in Japanese. Something of note that’s semi-conveyed in English but a bit more differentiated in Japanese is the use of “know” versus “understand” - in Japanese know is viewed as quite distanced from a situation as opposed to where one could also use “understand”. I can at least easily interpret it as Misa’s observations on Yusa which definitely applies to her more than the average person/

2 Likes

I’ve felt the same… Very Key-ish old school style.

I’ve just re-watched ep.6 in order to find clues or something… and I’ve just noticed that her hair shines when she uses her power, just before she falls… …in a way that made me remember the girl (?) from the OP, in the water (and in another scene later). Check it out.

Update: this may really be nothing: but I was watching the comet banner from Kazamatsuri. It shines like ther hair, like a comet… connection? Only time will tell… ♪

One more thing: The OP is misleading, at least for me, I’ve always thought she was the girl at the telescope watching the comets… but not I’m almost sure, I was wrong.

Did anyone catch any hints in this episode to the purpose of Water Guy’s appearance at the end of episode 6? I didn’t even think about that scene until after I finished this one but I was curious to see if anyone caught anything at all.

I’ve just posted before I read your message this

I believe it has to do with time travel. He already knew what was about to happen, or will try to change it. Once again, only time will tell…

1 Like

The girl is standing on surface water. Hmm seem interesting, because I don’t know other girls have a black long hair except Ayumi. Maybe dream or not.

No, I didn’t. This episode is relaxing after the storm anyway, more hint will be revealed in next episodes. Just too bad this episode doesn’t show any hint at the end so we can’t predict anything.

It is absolutely representative of Japan’s view on drugs and the severity is no doubt heavily lost on the majority, if not all, of Western viewers. The reason it’s a last straw is because it’s so looked down upon in Japan, you can’t even find any if you tried. Even the yakuza won’t touch drugs with a 10 kilometer pole, so you have to go through some ultra super shady sources to maybe get your hands on a tiny amount. I mean, I’m not an expert on this or anything…but yeah I think you get my point.

5 Likes

This is probably my favorite episode yet. I’m willing to admit I cried like 3 times throughout this episode.

I really wonder how the next few episode will play out. I’m personally hoping for some more drenched-kun related stuff.

Also, as just a side note, this is probably the only I’ve watched which has addressed drugs in any way shape or form. It’s an interesting look into how drugs are treated in Japan, which is an issue I’ve never really thought about before.

1 Like

He’s taking out some trash to relieve stress. Not for the sake of inflicting pain, but for the sake of victory, for the sake of feeling superior. It’s not an unbreakable cycle. He’s provoking fights to get some thrills and he’ll stop once it gets boring. We can tell he’s still in control because he’s never given anyone an injury they can’t recover from. But once he starts taking drugs, everything will change. He’ll start preying upon others for the sake of robbery and the stuff he’ll take for some temporary relief will keep poisoning his body. He won’t be in control anymore. The drugs will. He’ll dive pretty deep into the dark side to procure that stuff on a regular basis and his power won’t be enough to fight his way back out. It won’t be on the level of a little street brawl anymore. It’ll be organized-crime-level deep.

I was referring to the process of recovery. Yuu did nothing to adress the issue. He was merely distracting himself from the pain. But Nao just up and healed him with one trick. It kind of reminds me of several LB routes where Trauma is cured way too easily.

But as I said, it’s kind of ok. After all, a realistic recovery from trauma would be way too boring to watch or read.

2 Likes

Amazing development in Yuu’s part. This ep reminded me a lot of the first episode, which focuses Yuu and his powers, but with a darker and heavier tone this time. Instead of the humorous portrayal of his powers, we see his ability as dangerous and powerful. This is what I’ve always been waiting to see: the Yuu from the first episode who’s crafty and sneering. I hope the anime takes use this interesting personality of his especially when there’s finally something that would push Yuu forward, not selfishly, but for Ayumi and the benefit of the student council’s mission. It’s definitely more interesting than the bland Yuu we usually see.

More so, like the first episode, Nao appears and his life shifts to a different turn once again. Like everyone said, Yuu was so Yuu and Nao was so Nao. I’m so loving Nao right now, dammit.

It kinda bugs me that yuu’s development would occur in the expense of Ayumi. I don’t like that she died just so Yuu would dramatically change somehow. And with a collapse ability…? I don’t think this is the last of Ayumi. There was so much built-up over her power in the last episode.

3 Likes

I cant really feel that sad about ayumis death, because i believe in the time travel thing, where that water guy is actually yuu. It would expain why he was at the collapsed building and why this episode feels kinda rushed since in the future it will become a bit irrelevant. And when he goes back in time he lands in the river and goes straight to the student council. If i remember correctly we havent seen his face yet.
For now the only thing to back it up is the spinning clock in the opening. (someone somewhere also mentioned the clock on the wall everytime yuu comes home)
After thinking for a while someone mentioned that the girl in the first episode might have been manipulated by someone, so it could have been yuu himself.
On the other hand I feel like there are not enough episodes left for a great time travel story but if theres a second season this one could end in a disaster as cliffhanger and then he goes to fix it all.
Maybe im just really hoping ayumi comes back without the mad scientist kidnaped her plot.

I think it’s improbable. Maeda talked in the interview as if it would en in episode 13.

Chisaki from Nagi no Asukara.

@Daniel268 It honestly felt so obvious to me I couldn’t really get any emotion out of it and I’m normally a huge sap that tears up over the smallest things

Aside from Yuu falling into depravity (which was by and far the most interesting part) The entire episode just felt far too predictable. Being healed instantly back to how he was in the last 5 minutes of the episode after such a steep fall is beyond ridiculous. I’m all for key magic where it can fit meaningfully but this isn’'t even magic it just feels poorly plotted out. Could have had less boring power of the week episodes and fit in better development to Yuu’s fall.

I can’t possibly agree with that, The best part of key’s true routes has always been the huge amount of character development and recovery from their trauma (specifically True routes here not character). Seeing it in full would have been far more interesting than a rushed reason for him to do something new to fit the plot into a 13 episode format, starting to feel like Jun really just can’t handle writing a short series without doing this jumping from point to point.

2 Likes