Charlotte - Episode 7 "The End of the Exodus"

This is how it looked to me at that one moment in the arcade:

3 Likes

That doesn’t matter. The issue is that it really hurts the narrative, for next to no reason. Like best you’ve got is that it’s some sort of foreshadowing for a future plot point, Nao being there? That’s a massive concession to make. You’ve conceded a major part of what makes those melancholic scenes good, you’ve conceded that depressive feeling for the sake of a cheap gag and some foreshadowing.

We’ve already got page after page of foreshadowing future plot points. What we didn’t have, was a well rounded scene.

Nope. Im just saying they were acting normally considering their position. Not every little thing has to have some huge meaning. Not every little thing has to be the writers trying to convey some message or make you feel something.

5 Likes

The narrative is the most important part of a piece. These aren’t real people, these are fictional characters. Yeah, there’s ‘plot reasons’ why they were behaving how they were. But that doesn’t take away from my criticism of the scene, nor does it rationalise that scene being there in the first place.

@Aegair, seeing Yuu cry made me remember our conversation on Skype.

Compare this:

To this:

http://im.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-714740580.gif

And this:

1 Like

Gotta agree on that. People need to stop making a huge ruckus over every little thing.

2 Likes

watched for a minute… f*ck.

I loved this one.
I don’t know if she is actually dead or not, but I could really feel the loss a lot, so sad!

And his anger is a perfect natural human reaction, I didn’t however expected that explicit way of showing how low we can go.
Or how one can become a Hikikomori, or evil, or depressed.
For a moment, I was really afraid that he will turn to the “dark side” so to speak…

Man… (breathe) They know to write good stories. I love the fact that Nao was always by his side, and she is extremely psychologically-smart.

And Yumi was a big surprise for me!

— The references aren’t random in my humble opinion. I believe the Dango mention were put on purpose, emotional purpose, to make us remember the (Clannad spoiler) extreme sadness Okazaki felt when Nagisa and Ushio died. . -
It seems like there is no time to develop that sadness and recovery process slower, at a slower pace, everything seems rushed a bit for some reason. Am I the only one who feels that way?
Anyway, I’d like a Clannad-like pace in the narration… but maybe that pace belongs to the past, anime from more than a decade ago… I don’t know.
(Clannad spoiler)The Dangos and other references are being used to increase our feelings in a symbolic way.

Watching AB on his TV killed the illusion of a bridge between the stories. But you never know.

(Angel beats spoilers)Naturally, the Angel Beats mention may have something to do with the after-life… but, you know, couldn’t avoid thinking about the awesome romantic ending instead, while I was watching the “cameo”. It made me think that Yuu will end up being Nao’s lover. But, there are not clear signs signs of that yet, she is doing it because she feels responsible… so she says. Only time wil tell.

Update: @Yerian Yes, I feel this rushed. This should take at least 2 or 3 episodes… imo.

Update 2: Now I finally know :confused: the reason of the word collapse in the subliminal messages in the OP.

— Anyway, good episode. Key’ surprises (both good and sad) are still excellent.

+1 for Jun Maeda et all.

2 Likes

Exactly what is being compared?

Do we know how long he was away? He stayed inside for a while, then travelled for a while, then became famous with gangs. It looks like he went through all the stages of emotion too…

I don’t know if I’d want crazy Yuu dragged out over 2 or 3 episodes though. It felt slightly dragged out already.

Visual quality and appeal pretty much. Specifically, the expression of characters. I think NagiAsu did a better job of showing expression.

2 Likes

I noticed something very bizarre about the line Misa says here.

Im not sure if it’s just a translation error or something… But she states
“And I thought I knew the pain of losing a sister more than the average person”

Why is MISA saying that? She is dead right? Yusa lost Misa, not the other way around?
What could this mean?

I dont know if anyone is familiar with it, but it could be a similar case like in Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney 2 Where Ini and Mimi are sisters, but Ini dies, and Mimi survives, but Mimi pretends to be Ini due to being identical twins

But aside from that… I found this extremely bizarre… Im honestly lost as to what to think about it

Actually I found that particular wording to be a very accurate description of Misa’s situation. She explicitly says “more than the ‘average person’”, which doesn’t sound like she’s been through it herself, but instead she’s been able to watch and observe her sister cope with her own death.

1 Like

What I’m finding bizzare is not the “average person” part, but “losing a sister”

Misa didnt lose her sister. Yusa is alive after all?
I dont know… Maybe Im reading too much into this lol

Well that’s what I was referring to; Misa gets to observe Yusa dealing with Misa’s death, and through that observation she has an idea of what the pain of losing a sister is like.

Ahhh now I get what you mean.
My b
That makes much more sense

Maeda said the show would focus on the 4 main characters, but up to now I can’t see that. We got, like 2 episodes focused on Yuu, one focused on Nao, none focused on Yusa (that one was for Misa) nor on Joujirou. The rest was just about Power of the Week. Also, I wonder if the “Refrain/AS” correspondent of Charlotte has already began…

I don’t know where Charlotte will head from the next episode on. I don’t want them to return to the ‘routine’…

yup yup. Exactly.

I guess running away from home isn’t so bad when u have su many anime cafes~ ;D

1 Like

With how incredibly bad CR’s TLs have been, I’m not looking too deep into this: But it was a weird line that I did kind of tilt my head at. At any rate there’s no reason she shouldn’t be able to express that, and it adds a lot to her character. I’m sure she misses her sister just as much as Yusa misses her. It’s been made clear that despite their differences they were peanut butter 'n jelly.

1 Like

At the beginning of the episode, I was way too impressed that Key finally had the balls to kill a character to actually feel sad about it. Even so, I started to get emotionally invested when Yuu went unstable. It was cool to see such a dark side of the protagonist during the gang war.

While I like the idea of a Yusa/Misa twist, I feel like show is at a point now where if it tried focusing on anyone aside from Yuu or Nao, it would be awkward and forced, so I hope that line didn’t mean anything too deep. Kinda hoping something more happens next episode though.

insert Angel Beats! joke
serious though, I can think of two Key series off the top of my head that for sure kill off a character and others that I think someone dies but can’t remember for sure.

I feel kind of bad saying this but I didn’t really like this episode. Mostly because I felt the Yuu being depressed felt really draggy. Yes it’s realistic but I just didn’t find it interesting. I was kind of hoping there’s be a year time jump or something but that never happened.