Topic Proposals

Dank Memes (Key Edition) thread? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

[quote=“HeliosAlpha, post:140, topic:715”]
A topic centered around creative/unusual uses of the VN medium.
[/quote]Could be interesting, although possibly highly spoilerific. I think it could be viable.

What kind of discussion would this entail? The only thing I can think of is “Oh, Kyousuke looks like such a badass” or “HNNNNNNNNG KOMARI IS SO CUTE”, etc. And of course probably the inevitable shitspitting contest of “Na-Ga art is so beautiful; Hinoni is crap” and vice versa.

I just dont think there’s much to discuss.

1 Like

This is an excellent idea. We could discuss things like what different parts of the character design are supposed to evoke. Like, does Nagisa’s antenna supposed to evoke her kind of ditzy qualities? Does Sunohara’s design evoke the blond haired delinquent? Kyou and Ryou’s design differ in terms of eye shape, hair length, posture, and side for their hair decoration. What do each of these things say about their personality? How have the character designs evolved over the years?

I disagree with @Yerian on this. There’s a lot of room for discussion, especially among our more artistically minded members. I want this topic!

I mean, those are great ideas and all, but I just dont think there’s a whole topic’s worth of discussion there. And even if there were, it feels like it would be very scatterbrained. All those things would fit very nicely into each character’s respective topic. The topics only happen to be mostly about stories as @HeliosAlpha says simply because thats what people have wanted to discuss; that could change if you bring those things up.

Nonetheless, imo you shouldnt be barred from making a topic or anything like that, if you believe will produce intelligent discussion. I simply have two warnings for you: 1) I really do believe what you have brought up could be very interesting. Thus I would love to see it take place in the already thriving and appropriate character topics (which are constantly being revisited), rather than have it possibly die because the topic is forgotten about. 2) Be very careful in how you would structure such a thing, becuase I easily see such a topic still falling to the likes of shitposting I mentioned before.

I am wondering if there was enough interest in the community about Touhou project to create a topic about it.
Or should it simply discussed in general gaming topic and general anime topic?

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to play Touhou, given the insanely massive hype around it in Japan. Still haven’t gotten around to it.

1 Like

Aren’t all the female main characters considered “heroines”? How do you define a “heroine”???

I never said they weren’t heroines. We were talking about “true heroines.”

I’ve looked through topics, but couldn’t find one precisely matching the idea I had.

So there’s a bunch of us learning Japanese, and I was wondering if we could do a “Japanese reading bookclub” thread, where we choose a book to read together. As we read, we can post stuff like, “I think X means Y, but not sure” or “Is this XYZ” or “I really loved the sound of such-and-such” and so on. And, of course, things about the novel itself. It’d be different from the normal discussions, since they presumably don’t want us asking, “What does ‘Yorokobe shounen’ mean, and why is Kotomine so legit?”

That would heavily depend on whether we have beginner Japanese readers who both want to read whatever it is and are willing to do it together…

But I think it’d be a lot of fun!

Thoughts/interest?

4 Likes

I also think that’s a pretty good idea! I’m up for it (as long as I have the time) :wink:

Im down, but I gotta finish the ones im in the middle of first :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

よーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーし!

hype^n

Guess we can make the topic? Gotta see how many are interested and then set up stuff, choose a VN, and so on.

I’m personally a huge fan of free trials (being free), but most guys will want to go past the end of the trial, lol. Guess we’ll need to see what VNs chaps can get a hold of.

I’m learning japanese, I think it’s a great idea. Absolutely.

The Chararacter Design thread that @HeliosAlpha suggested is going really well. But I think we could use another topic for art discussion as well!

How about a discussion for CG’s? Because those are nice fullscreen images, there’s a lot to be said about their composition and art. They’re not stuck to the usual limitations that sprite art has.

Nothing stopping you from just making it, but I do wonder how a conversation about CGs would go. I mean, they’re still character focused graphics. Wouldn’t there be a lot of overlap in discussion? I wasn’t under the impression that the character design topic was limited to sprites.

I know I could just make it, but I like doing brainstorming here so I can better understand what I want out of the topic.

There might be some overlap with Character Design, but I think they’re distinct. Character design is about the details of the character and how those communicate their personality and role within the story. This would focus more on a CG’s as a holistic work, using the tools of Art Criticism and Formal Analysis. Given the subject matter, the criticism would mostly be comparisons between artists and old vs new works, as well as discussing the work’s place within the story and what it communicates within that context. Analysis would focus more on the art itself, talking about composition, line, shape, axis, color, and negative space. Also asking questions like “Does the art convey movement?” “Where is the eye drawn in the image?” and “What does the art mean?”

I’m thinking now that it should be broadened to “CG’s and Official Art Discussion,” so we can also include promotional art and stuff in there.

4 Likes

How come we don’t have a Touka, Arata, Esaka, Midou, & Shimako character page ? They’re all great characters. I guess you can say that they can be (respectively, depending on the character) discussed in the Terra topic page, or Chihaya topic page, or Akane topic page, but we have characters like Suginami from LB who (from what I saw in the anime) only appeared in a route, too.

1 Like

Long story short: We don’t have pages for those because nobody has started any discussion on them yet. And the reason why we have a suginami one is that kazamatsuri is secretly a suginami fanclub has a surprisingly high number of suginami fans.

So if you wanna make a topic for those guys, I highly encourage it! At least you can get dibs for being OP on those topics :kurumu:

3 Likes

After that Maeda Jun twitter thing I started to get back into mahjong and stuff. I want to start a topic about mahjong and mahjong anime but I don’t know if people on kaza actually know how to play/are interested. Should I make this topic?

1 Like

Hmm. I’ve just now realized that we don’t have a topic for Hinoue’s Design Office drawings. There are at least 4 pictures I’d love to share.

3 Likes