The real-world basis of Key's settings

This thread is real cool! Totally didn’t expect scenes from Rewrite being based on various real-life locations. XD

Now I’d like to share a location from Charlotte that is definitely outside Japan (the part where Yuu did a round-the-world trip in the final episode) and that which our local fandom found out.

(Image credits: http://astig.ph/japanese-depiction-of-the-philippines-in-anime-scary-accurate/)

Apparently that one scene got itself from Angeles, Pampanga (somewhere in the northern part of the country) in the Philippines.

9 Likes

I know I shared an earlier version of this in my introductory post, but since everyone brought locations from the novels up, I did something with the locations for Key’s settings, at least the ones for Air and Planetarian.

…one lent itself better to track design than the other, and as you would expect, I think the Hamamatsu one really comes alive in the wet.

1 Like

Revised edition of Air location maps.

6 Likes

Wow, I never thought there was actually a real life counterpart, But the observatory looked exactly like the one in Air

1 Like

Collecting these things has been a favorite of mine. :3

Torch ED real world comparison:

Here’s a website by a guy who likes to do location hunts. He’s done quite a few Clannad location hunts but there’s quite a few other series if you’re interested. I’ve linked a few from Clannad.

http://www.cuso4.org/htm/location.htm
http://www.cuso4.org/photos/20081120-kix/20081120-kix-cas.htm
http://www.cuso4.org/photos/20090104-tyo/20090104-tyo-cas.htm
http://www.cuso4.org/photos/20090628-tyo/20090628-tyo-cas.htm

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Real Life Anime Cities:

So do we allow non-Key stuff in this thread now?

No, but this is Kazamatsuri after all. If there’s significant demand for a suicidally non-key topic then I guess we can do it.

This winter I visited some of the place in Rewrite based on the information at http://takezo.bokunenjin.com/junrei2/junrei2rewrite.html.

First, Acros Fukuoka at Fukuoka

I think this building itself is interesting. I’ve never seen the building of which wall is forest in that size. The building is perfectly suitable for Martel ,which is an environmental group.
You can go up the forest around the building (which is called as step garden).

The view from the top

Then I went to Namba Parks Osaka in Osaka
This is the model place for KAZAMO in Lucia route.

The Entrance of the Kazamatsuri highschool(風祭学院高校) is also based on here, but the CG have different structure from the real world, so the following photo might not give you the impression that the CG use this place as a reference.

I also visited Ishiyama green space in Hokkaido,which is the basis of Kazamatsuri centrral park, only to find it was under the snow. Actually, I was nearly buried in snow to take this photo. :komue: I should revisit here in summer. (I visited here in March, so the snow might not melt until May or so. It is recommended that you visit here from May to October)

I found that I visited the rooftop of the Roppongi Hills before.
The entrance fee is a bit expensive. I regret that I didn’t know this is the model place in that time ,but the view from there is not so bad.
Here are some photo taken from other angles.

Well, there are some places I didn’t visit. I want to visit other places including anime’s places sometime.
Especially, Metropolitan Area Outer Underground Discharge Channel looks great. It needs reservation, so be careful.

19 Likes

Amazing! Some of these places are hard to get to, so I’ve never really seen a pilgrimage of them before. Good work! I wish I could’ve visited them sometime.

Hello everyone!
I have been mapping the location of the places that have been used in Key series. I would like to ask for your help so I can finish it and share it. The map can be very useful for people traveling to Japan and looking for beautiful memories. I was reading the whole topic and I think there is a lot of information to add!
I can not do this alone because it’s a lot of work. I want to see how many interested there are to open the edition of the map. I also thought that adding the map to the topic would be a good idea.

I expect answers, good evening.

PD:The map is in Spanish because it was part of a project that I was doing, as the days pass I will be updating.

5 Likes

I don’t know how in-depth you want your map to be, but you can add in Kasumi station (https://goo.gl/maps/rCRFNPUHfNz) because that gives you access to most of the places from AIR. We could go more in-depth (like give specific locations of specific scenes) if you’d like, since I just came from there a few months ago :michioh:

1 Like

Can I write to you privately?
I could give you the link so you can edit it.
The map is very deep, I have written almost all the places visible in Motomachi Shopping Street.
The places have the main images of the series (scenes), there are also the actual photos to compare.
Your contributions would be very helpful! :kyogrin:
I think if we all contribute we can do something incredible…

Sure, feel free to send me a PM. I can maybe even add photos!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ask a Key fan!

Locations of Tomoya’s flat, Suita, Osaka.

7 Likes

It is amazing how they can grab scenery from so many cities and seamlessly put them together! Clannad has scenes from 3-4 cities if i remember correctly.

2 Likes

That is seriously awesome shot those guys took. Makes me wonder how long did they leave the camera shutter opened for. I wish there was high resolution version laying around the net.

Btw the link you posted to seichi junrei video is dead end but I found another link from quick google search I think that this is the right video you posted

I’ll probably take a tour to japan sometime this year to visit these sites in my own eyes with my camera and hopefully I dont get lost with my top navigation skills :laughing:

Good stuff guys for putting all this together :smile:

I bought a wall scroll on school festival at Tsukuba University Komaba Junior & Senior High School.

3 Likes

I recently moved to Sapporo, and while the cooler weather suits me better than the more subtropical areas of Japan, it’s not so great for locations associated with Key or Kyoto Animation since they’re based in Kansai. There’s not much to see north of Tokyo. For that reason, I was pleased to discover that the distinctive park in Rewrite’s Kazamatsuri was based off Ishiyama Open Space just a few miles south of central Sapporo.

Ishiyama Open Space is a former quarry that was converted into a park. The northern half of the park is pretty and relatively conventional, but in the southern half, the remnants of the quarry were transformed into land art by an art group called CINQ. I visited today, and here are the results:

The Kazamatsuri park from Rewrite

The real life park

From other angles you can see the white peaks of the old quarry:

In other areas of the park, it’s easy to see how it accords with the contemporary garden city concept of Kazamatsuri. Parts of the place also remind me of the works of artist Jean-Pierre Ugarte (eg. 1, 2, 3). The way that we see evidence of activity and civilisation juxtaposed with encroaching nature is very beautiful.

9 Likes

Wooooaaaah that looks so cool! Never even knew it was in Sapporo!

Really feel bad I could never make the visit to Hokkaido while I was still in japan ;_;

2 Likes