Siglus Hacking

The biggest problem with the math thing is how they make it a joke that no one can say it properly. So it needs to short enough to fit inside the box but easy to mess up. Would people be against using an acronym?

What if we try to change it into a pseudo-tongue twister via alliteration? Like Mental Math Master?

Maybe “Mad Mental Math Master” or “Mighty Mental Mathstermind”?

1 Like

Doesn’t alliteration make it easier to remember, or is that just me? Not all of them but some joke was about Hinata messing up the order of the words. For example, when you see “Math Master of Japan” you would want to flip that into “Japanese Math Master”. The words themselves can be easy but the phrasing makes it hard to say.
A slightly cheap way I thought of now could be to have it go out of borders and make a joke out of it. Like, Yurippe chose something so stupid it breaks the game.

You mean extra text doesn’t just go onto a second line?

If it’s supposed to be something that is easy to fumble then I think the “Mathstermind” part (@Hirato) should stay. I mispronounced it on my first read and it’s easy to overlook.

@Aspirety I don’t know I assume it continues outwards. I haven’t dared mess with putting the translation into the game.

@NotKyon That one did make me laugh, but it’s not a word. It would need rewriting of other lines to make it work, and that feels like taking one step forwards and two back.

These show up in images too. They have to be short.

What do we want to do about honorifics? I know there are some people (not necessarily in this community) with strong opinions on either side for leaving them alone/excluding them. Personally, I prefer translations exclude them, but I understand the merit in keeping them, especially if we consider the target audience.

What’s the precedent with Key fan (or official) translations?

I can’t speak for every Key translation work, but I believe the precedent would be to exclude all honorifics.

Shouldn’t it also depend on that instance? Not sure if Angel Beats! has any “plot related events” with honorifics but say Clannad, it’s kind of a big deal to Tomoya that his dad calls him Tomoya-kun so it should probably be left in there.

Eh I really don’t want to do a mixture depending on the situation. It should be consistent one way or the other. Good translators (which we’re not but should at least try to be) will come up with clever wording to convey the implications of such situations instead of just being inconsistent with them.

1 Like

Sorry that was more of a counter-point to “just take them out”, I should have made that clear. I know it’s only the demo but have you seen anything yet that would indicate if there’s any reason it would make more sense to have them either way? I’m doubting it but who knows.

I don’t have that strong of an opinion about honorifics. I think its fine if we leave them out, as long as we don’t do silly things like calling someone Miss Iwasawa when its a peer talking too her.

I am very much a purist so obviously I’m in favor of honorifics. I think it’s impossible to have that much information in so few words without them. Honorifics aren’t used a whole ton; Sekine, Yui and Ooyama are probably the biggest users of them.

So we don’t have a choice but to stick to the box? Based on how much space “schoolgirl” took, that would put us at 15-20 characters including spaces. argh Kill me!

By “Images” you mean that said texts are overlaid in choice selection boxes (images), right?

We could probably go longer than the choice box. The part I’m not sure of is the name box.

These nicknames show up there too, right? I haven’t seen the image get longer at all in the VN, and judging from the translated names we already have, it doesn’t stretch to fit the text.
We could test out what happens if you put in a name that is longer than the box, but I need to sleep right now, so I don’t have the time to compile the new scene.pck right now…

Has anyone managed to modify the placement of screen elements?

Hi, I’m a Spanish translator to VN, I would like to work in the translation project Angel Beats!.
Eh already worked in novels like Clannad and Little Buster, also was watching the operation of Holy Breaker !, which start translating thought, but honestly Angel Beats! I give my priority…
I would like to share ideas on the operation and hope to see translated this work.

2 Likes