Siglus Hacking

Mr Amnesiac?

“Mr” would clash with honorifics but “Amnesiac” is a noun in itself so maybe it works with that alone. Like “Amnesiac-san/kun” I think that can work.

Oh, if you are using honorifics then Amnesia©-kun would be my choice.

This is useful. I was wondering how I should treat all these. It seems we’ve got very similar translations.

Regarding this, I had a different translation. I can’t check the exact content right now, but I translated it as something along the lines of “Tender Hunk.”

I didn’t think of anything that would be shorter than what you have there. But isn’t that fine? I mean, it’s pretty long for a name in the original text anyway.

I translated that one as Ero Ero Brigade Member 1 (I purposely changed “Number”). Maybe Haruhi is too much of an influence on me. xP

There was a Family Guy skit that played with that. (Hilarious but inappropriate skit that was.) So yeah, I think it’s that.

Hmm… Amni Siac? Nomem Ory?

Fujimaki says bimyou like it’s a negative thing though. When I was looking around there was mostly “having some unexplainable quality” and stuff along those lines. I like uncanny I stole it from Arslan Senki yesterday.

Pretty sure it doesn’t fit in the box in the current state.

That’s the strategy I was considering for the ユリブサイク. Like Yu risugly or Yurisu gly; Yuri Isugly would be way to obvious and lame.

1 Like

I hope this helps: http://a.pomf.se/vblljx.jpg

It’s more the actual name box I’m worried about; that thing is so tiny. 微妙すぎるイケメン itself barely fits.

How about “Amnesy Ackman”? or “Amnesee Ackman”? (sorry I can’t think of anything better)
Guh, it’s not working as well as the original.

Holy cow this is exciting to watch! This is probably the most public translation project I’ve ever seen… Hope Key and VisualArts are actually okay with this lol.
Although I’m pretty busy right now, and I don’t know any Japanese, I’m pretty good at English grammar and I could proofread the scripts and see if anything isn’t grammatically correct after finals.

2 Likes

@Hirato I think just “Amnesiac” is the best we’ll get: meaning is the same as the original; it’s as blunt as the original; it’s functionality as a name is a stretch but at least you don’t have to be high as a building to believe it.

@mechgamer123 How are you with usage of semicolons and such; I’m not confident about my abilities in that area.

Would there be much need for semicolons in a VN? I can’t think of any situations in past VNs where I’ve thought “y’know, there really should have been a semicolon between those two clauses.”

They are kinda outdated nowadays anyway. They don’t get much use, and knowledge of them is lacking… In the UK at least. People just brush them away.

Well it seemed like a useful tool, and I just started using it a lot. I can only look at rules and say whether it’s wrong or not; whether the semicolon is necessary or not is harder to say. I know LB! uses it a lot.

I just opened the v1.1 day1 file, and I’ve immediately found some of first few lines have been slightly changed from v1.0. (Ex: 消毒液の匂いに、ひたすら白い天井。 -> 消毒液の匂いに、見覚えのない天井。) I don’t know if anyone else already realized this or not but anything that was translated from v1.0 should be double checked for changes in the Japanese script. Anyway, I plan to power through day 1 as much as I am able to, which is not very much for the next couple weeks.

I am one of the few people in the world who likes to use semicolons. I have added them in the past when I helped with a different translation project, but that was a LN which often had very long sentences. I think in VNs, it is much rarer to have cases where a semicolon is really needed, but I do recall times I thought semicolons would help out. If you’re unsure, I think it’s better to not use them and just let QC decide. I don’t want to admit it, but they are pretty outdated; very few people use them.

1 Like

I’ve got school stuff going on this week, so I might not be able to add much x.x I have a holiday next week though, so hopefully I can make up for my lack of work.

Definitely. VNs love to keep everything to a single sentence or two. There are always instances where they fill up the dialogue box though.
If I do see a need for semicolons while looking through everything, I’ll make use of them~

Oh btw on the nicknames thing,
アメリカンエロドッグ as American Ero Dog is of course a fine literal translation. But アメリカンドッグ refers to the food item corndog, so it’s actually an perverted joke revolving around that, if someone wants to try to think of something more fitting.

2 Likes

Horndog. Done.

9 Likes

That literally made me laugh, so I plus one that!

Yeah I would say I’m pretty decent at using semicolons. I agree there may not be much of a need for them in VNs with one or two sentences at a time though.

Also, if you’re still looking for a replacement for “Japanese record holder in mental arithmetic”, maybe something like “mental math prodigy” or something similar? It loses some of the meaning but it’s a lot shorter and less wordy.

As opposed to physical math?

As opposed to needing like a pen and paper or a calculator.

1 Like