Rewrite - General Discussion

Terra is as long as it is unnecessary. Most of it can be cut without real impact (actually I would prefer everything, lol). The only thing they need to leave is the stuff near the end and the Guardian stuff.

It depends if you’re referring to the Japanese fans or the Western fans. If it’s Japan, pretty sure they were not pleased with Key’s change of style in Rewrite.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Rewrite - Akane Senri Route & Character Discussion

I’m reading the 7th part of this now. This novel is actually amazing. For the most part it adds background information for characters, so it’s better than HF in that sense. Of course it is quite silly at times too. That’s one part of Rewrite I’ve come to appreciate; they manage to sneak in little nuggets of knowledge along with the silly side stuff.

Edit: Done. It got a bit slow towards the end, but the Kagari and Kotarou chapters were phenomenal.

2 Likes

That does not surprise me. The SS of Little Busters was also very good. They are a good sequel for the game. Like they are the official writers, the novel isn’t a simple doujin ou a fanfiction.

Even if for Rewrite, it will likely take place during the common route, I saw some illustrations which are interesting (one where Akane seems to have difficulty speaking to high school girls or another, where Touka desperately playing darts).

Edit :
The first chapter : Seeking for a small happiness is translated.

Seems there’s a new Rewrite arrange album, “Selene”, seemingly one included with Rewrite+.

Here’s the preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Ph5UirWSE

EDIT: Also, apparently another PV for Rewrite+: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm9KxXaad9I

5 Likes

So besides the extra info announced by Kotarou at the end, has anybody noticed anything new in this PV compared to the old one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZklDg5XMm8

I personally haven’t lol

1 Like

I watched the whole PV expecting something and nothing, lol

1 Like

The translation of second chapter of the ligh novel is published.
Chapter 2 - I’m telling you, I’m hate you

The chapter is quite interesting and answers to some questions about Chihaya.

2 Likes

Finally finished the VN and if I can only say one thing about Rewrite its this:

Oh my god this is an amazing soundtrack. Clannad and Little Busters have great soundtracks but there isn’t much diversity in either of these. They’re both primarily drama slice of life, so most of the tracks reflect this. Rewrite on the other hand is a mess. It has action elements, horror elements, mystery elements, romance elements. And the quality isn’t lacking either. Absolutely some of the songs are mediocre, especially the background themes used in Common, but there are so many greats as well.

(Should this go in the Key Sounds Label discussion? Eh, I’m probably fine as long as throw some other stuff onto the end)

More seriously though, I felt like Rewrite was pretty strong in the characters department. The heroines weren’t outstanding but they were, at worst, decent. Each route had a really solid supporting cast. I would have liked to see more overlap between routes though. A lot of characters play a part in one route then don’t do much for the rest of the game. The advantage to this is it allows them to be used more effectively in their respective routes and there are fewer chances of contradictions but it makes the character routes feel very disconnected from one another which I feel hurts the impact of Terra.

I had seen a lot of love for Sakuya before reading and didn’t get what the appeal was but as a read he slowly became my favorite character. I know he’s cheesy and generic, but he’s just so cool. He’s honestly become one of my favorite Key characters even though I know as a character he’s kinda lazily done.

Well, I’m going to go put the soundtrack on my phone now.

Is there word of an official translation for Harvest Festa?

The official releases is for the whole Rewrite+ package, so it includes both games.

3 Likes

Might you know any places which have a good summary of the routes just in case I want a refresher?

So I figure I’d make an overview of the technical changes that were implemented in Rewrite+. For the record, the following features were not added to the Harvest Festa that came with R+. Even though the disc says Rewrite plus version, it’s the same HF as before.

Sound and Visuals
Like advertised, there are voice files for every character that previously was unvoiced. We have a couple of familiar actors appearing, for example, Inoue Kikuko as the home room teacher or Midorikawa Hikaru as friend #64 the con artist. There’s also some meme worthy English.
https://puu.sh/qoGyH.ogg

There are numerous visual tweaks, but the major ones would include the lovely Inoue sprite from Harvest Festa and 2 completely new CGs with some older ones being changed slightly. At the very start of the story, the player is also shown this new mysterious image.

Quality of Life

• Mappie - if you’re like me, or even if you aren’t, you probably found this little navigation mini game extremely tedious. It still is to a degree, but it’s better than before. No longer are you forced to swipe your cursor over the whole screen like a mad man because all icons are now visible all the time. Icons with specific requirements also have a lock on them as shown here to the left.

• And the prize for most convenient feature goes to…drumroll… the ability to rewind the game every 5 lines. Key introduced this feature in Angel Beats! 1st beat, and I can’t describe it as anything else but a godsend. Sometimes the game just throws stuff at you that you aren’t prepared for like that first image I posted. Alternatively, you don’t want to save frantically all the time, and this feature solves all those problems. Any tiny mistake and you can just roll back the game: it’s wonderful.

• However, saving the best for last, we have the greatest feature in Rewrite+: the ability to tweet screen shots from ingame spoiling the shit out of your friends. This feature is so weird and exploitable. 10/10 Would tweet again.
18 Likes

Not sure if this is the right topic to ask, but…
Is there “Gekkan Terra Radio” available somewhere? The one with Saito Chiwa~ not the one that goes for anime atm, but an original one.
I’m not even sure if anthology disks of it are still being sold.

You might solve it by yourself, but it might help others, so I write some information.
Japanese wikipedia have much information on it.

The CD are available at Japanese Amazon

Some CDs are bonus for the game.

2 Likes

Yes, thanks…
I rarely ever use Amazon as it is not available here in Russia, so completely forget to check it…
Guess, it should also be available on Mandarake, used though.

One question I have about Rewrite+
Is Kagari character changed in some way?

I’d be a bit disappointed with the actual Kagari of the VN after the anime

@Nemeios Nope, it isn’t.
For anime-like Kagari you have that one OPPAI in Rewrite, and then whole Rewrite Quest + Strange Fantasia + (partly) Kimi no Kioku no Monogatari in Harvest festa!
As it is going to be released alongside Rewrite+ on steam some time unannounced yet, if you can’t read Japanese you can just wait for that =)

1 Like

It looks like there’s no information on what was changed in Rewrite+ in terms of plot, so I made short summary on what I found.

1. No major change in common route and moon route though I found change in moon

2. Some changes in backgroundmusic

3. Some changes in Terra

4. 2 new CGs and 2 little changed CGs

The below shows spoiler in Rewrite+

BGM change
Here are list of change in BGM I found

• The apperance of Sakuya in Moon (Philosophyz GTver → scene of carnage)
  • The battle with Earth Doragon in Terra(Rewrite inst ver → Philosopyz GTver)
    There might be other changes. I am used to the former, so I was little disappointed at this change and I came to understand how important BGM is in VN at the same time.

Change in Terra and Moon
There’s no major differrence of plot in Moon, but they revised some details and I felt the story became easier to understand because of that.

And the most significant change in Rewrite+ is here in Terra.
First, there are some mention to link between Jasumin, Midou, Temma, Tenjin though it is not meaningful.
Second is the deletion of baton pass scene of Sakuya and Kotarou, so now there’s no reference to Sakuya in Terrra. And instead of that, Kotarou decrypts ■, then he found Kagari’s purpose and the fact he was handed the theory made by moon Kagari and Kotarou and decided to fulfill his mission on his own will.
Third, the last part is described from Kotarou’s perspective and he has the memory on moon including common route. He remembered good memories made with them in common route but decided not to say that to the girls and live as mamono of ship. Then, he found he had to go to meet with kagari and started ‘today’s activity’ like okaken.
(Added in 10/10)
Some experssion are modified in Terra. For example, Kotarou’s complain on the children who cause to stop selling of konnyaku-pan was deleted. Futhermore, in the part Kotarou talks to dying Iko, Iko’s saying that the children in her facility don’t grow up in terms of their mind and have no future was deleted. These change looks like consideration on experssion for who died of choking on food or who have intellectual disability.

New CG

New CG was in Terra

• Kagari’s confusion scene

• The last scene including new appearance of Kotarou as mamono and 5 heroines.

Some scene had changed

• Lucia is not wearing Kotarou’s shirts but is in her underwear

• After the part of ‘Miracle Adventure’ in which Kotarou tried to rewrite his intelligence, Kagari looked into him
    (The CG was made from common route scene that Kotarou sometimes remember fragmentarily though you don’t understand what the scene was in common route. And you finally understand this was the scene following to Kotarou’s injury by Kagari in Terra’s bad end.)

Therefore, main difference is in Terra route. Personally, I like the older version. Following is my opinion on this revision.
For deletion of batton pass scene, I think it is admittable, the scene seems to make confusion on what the rewriter is. And the scene added there make Kotarou’s action in terra meaningful. I thought the weak point of terra was that Kotarou looked like behaving without free will, but new version made importance on his will and role in terra, so this change might bring more meaning to Terra route. However, I felt difference in writing style and I personally not so like it.

And the revise in last scene seems to seriously altered the meaning of Rewrite.
I think what is good about Rewrite is how it deals with solitude and miracle(奇跡).
In the perfect visual book of Rewrite, the writer Romeo Tanaka said that Kotarou should pay the cost for human future, so the ending was fruitless for Kotarou. In Rewrite, life itself was treated as miracle and he also said that with the world of full of miracle, he should write difficulty in making their way ,so Kotarou should work for future at the cost of his life without complaint then he can arrive at the ending in which 5 girls are chatting without anguish though Kotarou is a bit lonly in them (like CG on moon in CANOE). I know its just one possible interpretation of Rewrite, I think this explanation is really thoughtful.
But this remake seems to weaken the limitation that there shouldn’t be miracle without cost. Kotarou finally remembered his whole life and was able to start his new life. I suspect Kotarou’s effort might be worth it, but I felt the ending become less fascinating because there seems to be less solitude of trailblazer, which was acquired by Kotarou’s giving up of his enjoyable school life or gaurdian life, and the beauty of structure that the moon Kotarou’s wish that someone would find Kagari in moon was miraculously fulfilled unconsciously.
I got an impression like Little Busters! from the revised ending. I suspect that the original ending was not so popular among old key fans and they decided to make the story more optimistic and miraculous like other key works.(Though I think LB!s ending is reasonable, I think it’s not suitable for Rewrite) The change might also make it easy to understand that the Kotarou’s wish in moon was fulfilled finally.

If anyone point out something I didn’t find, I’ll ‘rewrite’ them.

11 Likes

Desktop accessories that came with Harvest Festa got removed in Rewrite+. Only in original Harvest Festa has them :Chihayasad: