Rewrite - General Discussion

This is cute

7 Likes

Awwwwwh soo cute! hugs

New CGs for rewrite+ can be seen here:
http://imgur.com/a/Kw9a1
(I do not deserve the credit, someone from the rewrite IM english facebook group shared it, and he found it in MAL)

3 Likes

In the side-stories of Rewrite, in the chapter dedicated to Shizuru: Lovesickness, Shizuru told, because of her powers, she lost her chance to grow like a normal person.

[spoiler]I found it is perhaps a good explanation to answer to why Kotarou didn’t grow old during his years in the coma. His powers of superhuman disturbs his growth spurt, like Shizuru, who doesn’t wish to grow to stay close of time where she lived with his parents.
Kotarou has only begun to age again after awakening, at the same time that his mental age.

I like better this reason than the other possibility where this is because he is an half-familiar. In the Akane route, he grows up physically during the year under her orders, which brings a little contradiction.[/spoiler]

Concerning growth,

Powers don’t usually hamper people’s growth. Esaka-san and his squad all grew old normally while never losing their powers. Kotarou’s halt in growth really was only due to being a half-familiar. He didn’t age physically within the year of serving Akane. He just looked a lot older due to how much he had changed inside because of his harsh new environment. He THEN aged physically within the city of stone because Kotori had died outside, causing him to lose all his powers. Shizuru probably stopped aging either because she had overused her powers or because the healing drug, or some other that her body produces, simply keeps her young subconciously.

2 Likes

I still think its a legitimate theory to say Kotarou’s powers were what prevented him from aging.

(Terra)He has the power to Rewrite himself and control the fluids in his body. He uses this in Terra to change his appearance many times. Its possible he unconsciously rewrote his face and body to look more youthful. His aging in the city of stone would then be because he longer has a need to look young; he can move on with his life and age again.

Either way of looking at it is fair, though.

1 Like

I’d actually like to ask you about that @Kaze since the discussion is just now popping up on Discord; what exactly are the flaws (and strengths) of Ixrec’s translation? I think not many of us have had the opportunity to compare the Japanese with the English, and I do trust your opinion on this sorta thing

I’ve never really gone through and compared his translations to the Japanese, so don’t quote me too much on what he gets wrong. Generally speaking, however, Ixrec is a very literal translator. This helps make him a very fast translator with few “errors” and the biggest advantage of using his work is that it’s probably very close to being a finished product. The vast majority of us, myself included, read Rewrite from his work and I don’t think any of us thought it was unacceptable work.

Unfortunately, literal translations often end up being, as I recently read one person describe as, technically a correct interpretation but not the right one. Tanaka picks his words very carefully, and there are reasons why he words phrases the way he does. So when Ixrec translates things without fully realizing their meaning and association with the work as a whole, you lose a lot of subtlety going on in the language, story, and dialogue - things that might not be super important to the story but do add to the experience. Most of all though, he just isn’t a very creative writer. Which don’t get me wrong is really, really hard to be. But if you look at the Grisaia or Dies Irae translations, for example, you’ll notice some colorful, expansive vocabulary and very distinct writing styles that help define the work itself. Ixrec lacks that sort of writing ability when he translates, so even if he gets the meaning across, he doesn’t convey the same reading experience. It’s like taking a Shakespeare play and rewriting it in bland, boring English. Sure, the story is the same but the writing quality is completely different. That is what people mean when they say he butchers Tanaka’s writing. Rather, to be fair, this is what people mean when they say any translator would butcher Tanaka’s writing.

Personally, I think the elitists are too harsh on his work when some talk about him “ruining everything,” and I know I’m very grateful for his work no matter how “bad” it may be (at least for Rewrite; Cross Channel is a whole different ballgame and he messed that up bad enough that he also admits it in retrospect). But it’s true that his translations are very subpar and you lose a lot of what makes Rewrite impressive from a literary standpoint, even if you didn’t really miss any major plot points. If it means more people get to experience Rewrite, I’d happily send them to Ixrec’s translations, but if SP is going to retranslate the entire thing, that could be a very good thing that all of us should try rereading for a potentially new experience.

5 Likes

What about the anime? Did it have any elaborate Shakespeare prose or was that a narration-only thing? Or was it there all along but got lost in the translation?

There is no Rewrite anime.

4 Likes

uh White Fox made a really nice 2 minute long Rewrite anime so idk what you’re talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yegE5ai9abQ

1 Like