Rewrite Anime General Discussion

Rewrite TV Anime Episode 22 “Silent Battle” Preview.

Rewrite TV Anime Episode 23 Preview.

Loli Shizuru and Lucia~

6 Likes

You’re doing god’s work Squall

2 Likes

The presence of a cameo with Lucia bothers me a bit. She wasn’t in the original scene even if it isn’t strange that Touka has already taken her under her wing.
But at least, the introduction of Lucia and Chihaya is useful. It will seem less a Deus Ex Machina that the 5 heroines are gathered during the end of world with Touka. Like they are yet in the background.

2 Likes

Rewrite TV Anime Episode 24 “The Promise I Fulfilled With You” Preview

The feels…

4 Likes

Finished the last episode of rewrite, amazing.

For me rewrite is now my favorite key anime, and yes I know it could be better with all heroines routes, but with the resources they had, they made the best terra and moon adaptation I could dream.

2 Likes

The ending made me feel “oh my the romance, finally i can feel it” :smiley:
They’re too good make the ending.

5 Likes

So I did say before that I was taking note of the episode staff for this series, and here it is. I didn’t feel like listing all the animation directors in this sheet because they’re wayyyyyy tooooo manyyyyyy of them at times. It’s in the Wiki though, just in case you’re curious about it.

I don’t really feel too well right now so I’ll just put my final thoughts for this series later (also I need more time to think about the show as a whole). But some of my thoughts about the staff that I haven’t put in the episode discussions:

• I think Tatsuya Takahashi is the better screenwriter here. Relatively speaking, most of the episodes that Takahashi wrote felt like it flowed much more organically, regardless of the pacing. Meanwhile, Takashi Aoshima’s writing shines more when he’s not adapting and he’s just playing around – Episode 8 was genuinely entertaining – but he seems to struggle at adapting VN scenes. I don’t really know what to say about Takayo Ikami.
  • I REALIZED THAT THE STORYBOARD FOR EPISODE 12 WAS DONE BY SOMEONE WHO WAS INVOLVED IN NARUTO. OH GOD. And checking the episodes he did storyboards for, some of them involves particularly popular fights. :shock:
  • Episode 13 had two storyboard artists, and one of them is, gasps, Ryouma Ebata.
  • They seem to like putting Tadashi Kojima in important episodes (particularly Episodes 1-2, 7-8, 13-14, 16, 24). He has done storyboards for Tokyo Ravens, particularly of Episodes 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 23. I haven’t really watched that, so I wonder how the action segments fared in some of them.
7 Likes

Shirane just posted a translation of Last Desire!

3 Likes

When do you all think they will release “Innocence Eye” and “a seed leaf”? Those were some great tracks.

There hasn’t been any announcement about it… yet. I hope there will be, because I absolutely love the new OSTs in the anime.

The key visual for season 2 appeared in episode 0 of Saekano’s second season. (right above Megumi’s [brunette] head.)

10 Likes

By curiosity, someone knows the anime with the key visual which is bottom right ?

I dunno why, but it looks like “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei” to me… but I am not even sure myself why.

Oh. I am actually right. Google for the posters of its upcoming movie and you will see it there.

1 Like

Thank you, I was thinking to something like Nagi no Asakura instead. I was wrong.

So I’ve given a lot of thought about the anime adaptation. Instead of a straightforward review, I’ll simply talk about how I’ll adapt the story if I were the director, especially given the limitations we saw from the series. Here’s what I think, given that the series only has two seasons of 13 and 11 episodes, respectively. (I’m sorry that this got long. ;-; )

First of all, and not everyone will like this, I’ll have practically the entirety of the common route put in the one-hour long first episode. The first half of the episode will be dedicated to establishing the Occult Club, while soon jumping straight to the Rainbow River investigation (second half of Episode 6). The second half will be dedicated to the November 13 incident (Episode 7).

We just really need to know about the characters: on Kotarou’s desire to belong that led to him forming the club, and who the heroines and others are. That can be established through character interactions and Kotarou’s monologues. We can add a bit of Yoshino and Sakuya somewhere. (I’ll also do away with most of the harem jokes, but if the production committe wants fanservice… whatever.)

Two important details will be left out in the process, though: (1) the World and Yourself question, and (2) how the Occult Club even started. These can be brought up anywhere later in the series.

That will leave us with twelve episodes dedicated to the major conflict. This can go in two ways.

First, an expanded version of the anime-original route. 12 episodes will allow it to tell the story better (seriously, Episodes 12 and 13 can be expanded to five episodes – the first minute of Episode 13 especially has an entire episode worth of content). It will also allow for better-placed feecof jokes, which can be put in the early episodes. I liked the feecof jokes. I liked Anime Kagari. She was fun.

On another hand, 12 episodes also mean we can be a bit more faithful to the sauce material than that. We can have two or three heroine routes with that. As for which, Kotori and Akane routes are a must.

For a third route (Kotori route is pretty short), I’d argue that it should be Lucia Route. Sure, Shizuru Route was there to establish what Salvation is, while Chihaya Route was there to establish Sakuya. But Lucia Route gives a lot of attention to Chihaya and Shizuru, and if we want all the heroines to have major screentime in the anime despite leaving out some routes, we should have Lucia Route.

So basically, Kotori -> Lucia -> Akane, while showing (Moon) Kagari’s Theory in between these, for foreshadowing.

Though we really need Sakuya backstory, and to an extent, what Salvation would seriously look like (we need to know so we can make the most sense out of Moon Arc). One way to go about it is to add an extra scene somewhere in the final episode of (preferably) Kotori Arc, where we see Chihaya and Sakuya. Sakuya can just reminisce or dream his backstory before this. (Chihaya/Shizuru spoilers) That would be hitting two birds with one stone, while we can also add that Chihaya simply left Kazamatsuri after November 13.

That’s all for the 1st Season. The 2nd Season can go more-or-less the same as what we saw, except the first three episodes of Terra can be condensed to two episodes, while the last two expanded to three. It evens out the pacing that way. Also, if 1st Season dedicated itself to the heroine routes, (Moon) the Giant Sakuya part will have to be retconned, but Sakuya’s scene can still be played largely the same.

There are definitely better ways to go about it than what I suggested, but here are my thoughts.

1 Like

It may be a little late but I still want to give an overall review of the anime adaptations. First, in season 1, I actually liked the fact that they were covering each heroine’s route but after the Inoue gone missing arc, it felt way too rushed and the story felt weak. The last moments of season 1 felt like it missed out an episode of explanation and Kagari’s mysterious behaviours weren’t explained that well. And like that, I hoped that season 2 would be better and I actually liked it till the foreign war zone arc. It wasn’t rushed but not too slow paced and they were covering the important incidents of Terrace and Moon. However, the same mistake happened again in episode 22 or 23 (I am not sure) I mean Koutarou vs Esaka lasted only like 3 mins and Koutarou just shot Kotori’s parents in 10 seconds and then boom goodbye but thankfully they managed to keep the last episode without rushing it giving it (in my opinion) an 8 out of 10.

1 Like

Please mark spoilers with [spoiler] tags, providing adequate context in parenthesis.
I was listening to Philosophyz and realised that the song was a little different in the anime from the VN. So I wanted to know which opening seemed better for you guys in terms of both the song and the animation. You can even talk about how well it can relate to the story. I will put a link which contains both versions below.

• Anime op
  • VN op

0 voters

I would say I liked the visual novel’s opening more sInce the entire opening sequence gives a little introduction about the characters and the place where the story takes place in. Also, I felt they did a good job showing the the tree near the power spot where Kagari was born right after the Key logo. It gives am idea that it is an important figure in the story. For the song, I liked how it builds up to the climax well. It begins with a slight arpeggio kind of sound then there is that sound of wind gushing past you them the guitar and the drums begin playing. As for the animation bit however, I would say that the anime was way better

I feel like this is a no contest for me, the anime wins hands down. The VN was kinda generic, just filled with heroine introductions and some animated CGs. I never cared much for it to be honest.

The anime OP on the other hand, had more meat. They still had the heroine introductions, but this time they also filled the limited time with symbolism and foreshadowing. It’s still relatively average, especially compared to other anime, but in this case it wins.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That’s just my personal take on it.

Though speaking of rewrite OPs, I’m really disappointed that they never used RIRAITO ZE LIFE in the anime even once. That song had so much hype.

2 Likes