Rewrite Anime - Episode 9 “Fate Begins to Turn”

Discussion topic for Episode 9 of the Rewrite anime, which premiered on the 27th of August, 2016. All references to outside works and to future episodes must be tagged with a [spoiler] tag.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and Australia
Akibapass in Germany

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

Initial thoughts before sleeping: This episode has some serious mood swings, but I like it. Funny how I more-or-less predicted how the naked Kagari first seen in the preview (but it’s blurred in the anime haha) will go, but even funnier how they gender-swapped the whole “caught-in-the-bathroom-naked” trope here. Meanwhile, the whole stalking scene was so darn hilarious.

And looks like real shit’s gonna go down next episode. Looking forward to that.

On a side note, CRANN MOR NIRINSOU AAAAAAAAAAAAA instant 5/5.

2 Likes

I was actually impressed how this episode toned fairly. The chemistry between Kotarou and Kagari is quite good and funny at the same time while being chased by everyone else. It’s nice seeing Chibimoth once again cause I love that little guy. And now, we got to see where Kotori’s secret base and how she was able to control those monsters in the forest for those ten years that she had to struggle to keep her life going after the accident. I felt sorry for Kotori that she had to turn down his confession knowing that secret could eventually end her life as she has to keep forming contracts to stay alive.

I’m glad they mentioned about the power spot too because that is an important detail to consider where Kagari was born and how it was her duty to protect her from those two organizations. Like @BlackHayate02 mentioned, the real serious stuff is going to begin and it looks very ominous indeed. The fact that Gaia has plans to use the chorus to sing the song of Salvation which will end the world and Guardian on the forefront having to lead the direction of the Harvest Festa coming up with only who knows how much time they have left is going to become very ugly as they desperately need to find the Key before that happens. The last scene with Akane and Shimako looking towards the group of summoners reviving the Earth Dragon was really terrifying that they are planning to use this though it takes a number of contracts to keep this large familiar under control.

I’m looking forward to seeing what’ll happen next in the remaining few episodes. :smile:

3 Likes

Mmmosu, if there’s one thing this anime gets right, it’s Chibimoth. Mosu.

5 Likes

Who knows our residential avatar of the Earth developed Caffeine Addiction. That’s serious business!

Good to see after 1.2 Episodes of HF Invasion, they still reminded us that the situation is dire (and I need to admit, it’s even worse than the original because it’s Kotori Route + Sakuya + Earth Dragon + Song of Destruction)

Now, there are 4 Episodes left. and I’m concerned if they can cram the rest of the content whatever is left of the new route, then MOON and maybe Terra into 100 minutes of the screentime.

Or they can go full HF, I know I wouldn’t mind.

1 Like

I was fine with the previous episode but I did not like this one at all.
This is not the post-common route Rewrite I know. What’s with this comedy setting and lukewarm mood? How could agents of Gaia and Guardian patrol a park without noticing each-other, or recognising the completely visible key that’s standing right in front of them? Since when did Imamiya meeting Chibimoth become funny? Heck, why does that scoundrel Imamiya get so much air time? Or Gil and Pani while I’m at it? (Well, those last two things are pure bias on my part, but I’m serious about the rest)

The anime doesn’t seem to take the serous part of Rewrite seriously. The gap between episodes 7 and 9 is too big. Some of the stuff at the end of this episode was supposed to make us shudder, but due to the mood that has been established, it doesn’t even seem like that big of a deal.

I won’t say that the episode can’t be enjoyed or that the comedy was bad. But the time for comedy should be already over.

8 Likes

My Kotarou x Kotori feels are coming back.

1 Like

Chihaya’s route had a lot of comedy even in the late route, also remember that Guardian needs an eye to recognize the Key. (And other disguised/hidden entities)

As for them not noticing each other, Well, Gil and Pani were hiding, but Midou was just walking in the open, so I dunno.

1 Like

Lucia described this accurately.

This isn’t the case in any of the Routes in the original work, or even HF.
But then it seems we’ll be getting serious from it on.

As for not noticing the Key, my headcanon is that by Episode 8 Kagari ceased being “the Key” when she can be observed by everyone, Kotori in this episode also commented on her being “more human”, hence in their eyes it’s just some weird girl following Koutarou around. I don’t think they have photos of Kagari or anything that can link this weird girl to “the Key”.

1 Like

I’m wondering how the whole thing will pan out for Kagari since she seems to have her humanity ‘turn off’ when something serious happens and that I still don’t know whether she will end up retaining this personality until the end or acting like the ‘ghost’ version when it comes time for the organizations to go after her. I’m also worried that there’s not many episodes left to tie this all together, especially since they opted for the post-common route not to get serious immediately.

That’s the point; this isn’t the Rewrite we know. I also abhor non-silly Rewrite. If we’re gonna have new content, I very much prefer silly shenanigans over stuff like Kotori’s route or Terra. I guess I might have been more salty if I didn’t consider the anime just another side story. There’s already a million of them, so this one is nothing special. Ultimately, whatever happens in the anime won’t have an effect on the grand scheme of things.

None of the stories in HF apply even remotely to the setup present in the anime though…

About the ending scene. Why do you have to put in the boring piece of shit T-rex motherfucker!!? I hate that thing with a burning passion. Worst. Final Boss. Ever. If it jobs, I’ll be ecstatic.

I can’t really say much about this episode either way. Some of it was fun or done well, and some of it was unnecessary and just kinda dumb. Kagari’s new personality is a real double edged sword, it seems.

I hope that episode 10 can step up things a bit, as this Tenshou’s wild ride seems awfully uneventful so far. :neutral_face:

1 Like

I am liking the direction the anime is going towards right now. The episode was fun to watch and it was a good episode fully explaining what is going on to all the anime only watchers who have no idea what is happening and are unable to follow. These past few episodes were preety much expanded common route and build up for the final battle and I feel like the way this end will be like in akane route except the occult club comes together to end the war.

Hey look, the new Rewrite just started… Yea I was way too excited…
I’m so upset with this episode, everything seems forced… And by everything… I mean EVERYTHING.

Before I start talking about this episode, there are two things that I won’t be talking about anymore for the next 3 episodes…
First … The music placement, I’ve talked about before and it just annoys me now… I’ll ignore it from now on.
Second… Kotori’s character… Yea I’ll stop talking about it since that’s causing me various heart diseases.

And now let’s have a small chat about episode 9.
Episode 9 is the worst possible start for the new Rewrite imo… First of all, why are they forcing fanservice? I mean fanservice is okay… But WHY FORCE IT? It made me lose my interest in the episode…
Also, the drama is so forced… This isn’t Key-style drama imo. I believe they are just spoiling the VN to people at this level.

Unlike previous episodes… I didn’t enjoy this one at all… If anything I felt worried… 3 episodes should be enough I guess… I believe they can fix everything still.

Note: Chibimosu is the best part of this episode…
Other than that, listen to what Yoshino has to say about the episode …

4 Likes

Uhh, I was pretty damn excited by this episode, but I think a lot of that revolves around this being the setup for the next episode or two. This episode itself was some light comedy and a big info dump, pretty much Kotori’s route toward the end.

As for next episode… Holy shit what a setup. What happens when you throw every character into the forest at once in a giant skirmish? I’m definitely getting caught up in the hype of it all, but god damn. Seems like they’re trying to mash every forest conflict into one here.

I have no idea how they’re gonna do this, but I’m excited.

2 Likes

Well my complains for this episode has already been pointed out by everyone here. Still dissapointed at their horrible music placement and totally agree with @Naoki_Saten about how the comedic part should be over. For me, It kills the serious mood from episode 7 after everyone scattered to their own organizations.

The ending to this chapter is great tho. Much better than eps 7 and few first episodes (horrible).

And what is this ‘monster’? It’s ‘familiar’!

1 Like

WOO WOO, KAGARI-CHAN LEWDS.

The Anime continues to be a step above the VN.

And this is entirely the reason I’m legitimately saying Anime > VN with complete honesty.

Because the serious parts of Rewrite are fucking joke, and the Anime not giving a solitary fuck about that and just doing whatever the fuck it wants is actually perfect.

Oh you hate that pile of garbage too, nice, high five dude.

Rewrite isn’t Key style to begin with so complaining about the Anime not featuring Key style is a moot point
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

Chihaya’s route wasn’t good at being serious, or logical, or consistent with the rest of Rewrite. As a result, it made Rewrite as a whole somewhat less depressing, which is kinda good. But any more of that would be bad. Rewrite is serious business. It doesn’t work well in a constant half-comedy setting.

(pre-moon spoilers)
When a guardian “eye” agent or a camera spots things others cannot, they conclude it’s a familiar and attack it. If it’s shaped like a girl, they conclude it’s the Key. But that can’t be all. Whenever Kotarou sees Kagari, he can feel she’s special. He’s instinctively terrified. It should be the same for all “eyes”. If Guardian did not have the ability to ascertain the Key’s identity, they couldn’t have possibly have postponed salvation for such a long time.

Gaia should be even better off. Not only do they have familiars capable of sensing the Key, they are also led by the holy woman, who knows more about the Key than any other human, except for maybe druids. So they should know damn well what she looks like, especially since (not sure if Akane route or Moon spoiler) one of their factions actually succeeded in secretly capturing Kagari a few years ago!

These two organizations, whose main objective revolves around the Key, can’t possibly be so sloppy about it! If there’s some kind of explanation to it, it has to be something along the lines of [quote=“nemoma, post:9, topic:3131”]
my headcanon is that by Episode 8 Kagari ceased being “the Key” when she can be observed by everyone, Kotori in this episode also commented on her being “more human”, hence in their eyes it’s just some weird girl following Koutarou around.
[/quote]

which, however, seems pretty cheap to me.

Putting aside whether not giving a solitary fuck about things is a good thing or not…
I’m not a fan of ALL of Rewrite’s seriousness myself, which is why I didn’t like Terra. But the serious parts are those that make Rewrite special. They give the reader a lot of to think about long after they finished the game. The game’s central topics must be conveyed in a serious and realistic fashion or else they would lose their impact. Without those things, Rewrite would be just another decent game that does little more than provide some entertainment and produce waifus.

You’re calling the serious parts a joke because you can’t take them seriously, thus you miss out on enjoying Rewrite for what it is. With episodes such as this one, the anime is forcing all viewers into that situation. It’s hard to enjoy unless we stop taking it seriously.

2 Likes

Chihaya’s route was my favorite though ^^’ As it was more lighthearted and cute.
Plus I really liked the story and how it had the most positive ending of the main routes.

But I feel like this will definitely have Salvation somewhere.

I will admit, I like how they’re creating this contrast between ‘key kagari’ and ‘meme kagari’, with how her eyes went blank and her ribbons in automation mode killed the two dogs. This will allow them to create some drama and tension by robbing Kagari of her character when the plot calls for it. Like, yknow, (VN) salvation.