Rewrite Anime - Episode 13 "The Promise I Exchanged With You"

Discussion topic for the 13th and final episode of season 1 of the Rewrite anime, which premiered on the 24th of September, 2016. All references to outside works and to future episodes must be tagged with a [spoiler] tag.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and Australia
Akibapass in Germany

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

yes, that was bad.
the anime wasnt going anywhere, and everyone could see that from ep9 iā€™d sayā€¦

episode 13 is the worst episode in the entire anime, but Iā€™m not even mad.
well actuallyā€¦ I am mad.

is this supposed to be an episode to prepare people for 2nd season?
to whoever read the VN, let me ask you somethingā€¦
if this was an original work, would you even watch the whole thing without dropping it ?
and even if you did, would you understand anything from this episode?
would you cry in the scenes where you are supposed to cry? would you even feel sad?
if your answer is yes thenā€¦ congratsā€¦ you dont have to read my opinion.

a lot of things here didnt make sense even for me, a person whoā€™ve read the VN.
Iā€™m not comparing or anything, but some of the information here are important yet this episode refuses to explain.
starting with Sakuya, ermā€¦ sorry about that, a monster all of a sudden showed up and kotarou decided to call it Sakuya.

and the fight between Esaka and Kotarou was so randomā€¦ and on top of that, Shizuru showed up only to fight Esakaā€¦ the one who took care of her. after showing no connection between the characters whatsoever, she takes Kotarouā€™s side without hesitationā€¦ of course.

and yeah, before I forget!.. Peroā€¦ ā€œwho is Pero?ā€ you ask?
yea, Kotoriā€™s dog who we all care about in the anime. after we all loved Chibimosu, he turned out to be Pero all along!
ā€œwho is Pero, again ?ā€ā€¦

a lot of things went unexplained, and if that goes on people will not know what is happening in moon and terra, which is sadā€¦

with that being said here is the best part about this episodeā€¦
(how to stop salvation 101: touch Kagariā€™s boobs)

to tell the truth, what saved the episode, and the first season in general is the announcement of the second seasonā€¦ and the fact that the world actually ended in salvation, this would be a great example to explain what the ā€œbest timelineā€ that moon Kagari is searching forā€¦
season one was a season to forget, now itā€™s time to hype the second season

13 Likes

ā€œWith a big man like me around we can fill any hole.ā€
-Rewrite Anime, 2016

So more feecof, a few pointless fights, more feecof, oppai ending, and more feecof. This has been a Studio Deen F/SN level adaptation.

Absolutely not, I would have dropped it halfway through the first episode, although just about any point in the series is bad enough to warrant dropping it.

It looks like the ending basically confirmed that this entire cour was a simulation so maybe moon and terra will be better. They already hinted at terra a bit with that ā€œYour body has begun to rememberā€ thing.

Iā€™ve been really ragging on these last few episodes but honestly this wasnā€™t quite as bad as I was expecting. Iā€™m going to let my expectations go back to 0 for season 2.

5 Likes

Great job, Key! Now, Iā€™m going to have TREES in my nightmares!

Iā€™m glad the art went up in quality. Some of those city-destruction, people-dying scenes were really well-animated. The fight scenes were still a little wonky, but other than that, nice job, 8-Bit.

Iā€™m sorry to say that the tearjerkers didnā€™t hit their mark. Kotoriā€™s outburst in the early portion of the episode was fittingly sad, but the rest of their attempts at drawing emotion out of me didnā€™t work. I guess I just donā€™t see any of these characters as fully realized enough to be worth crying over.

More confusing plot elements also kept this from being as effective an ending as it could have been. The cliche of Old Man Guardianā€™s monologue before killing Kotarou was painful. And could they have made Shizuruā€™s intervention look any sillier? It didnā€™t quite reach the crazy awesome quota for me. Not to mention the rather confusing logic that allowed the fairies to take away Kotarouā€™s power, andā€¦ I donā€™t know.

Soā€¦ Moon and Terra! I donā€™t have high expectations, so letā€™s hope Iā€™m pleasantly surprised.

4 Likes

I must be one of those people who did enjoy the series, but probably only because I did read the VN first. That said, the big problem was cramming too much from the VN, to make this adaptation a disjointed mess. I did enjoy the jokes a bit, but after a while they became stale from overrepetition. I also didnā€™t see anything that made the waterworks flow.

I must rate this so far the weakest of the Key anime adaptations.

3 Likes

nope. If I wasnā€™t watching it with my sister I probably would have dropped it around episode 4.[quote=ā€œRyuuTamotsu, post:2, topic:3268ā€]
and even if you did, would you understand anything from this episode?
[/quote]

hard to say but probably not. I think Iā€™d understand The Key gave salvation but thatā€™s it. Even now I donā€™t understand why Shizuru was talking to Lucia as if she was her mom or why they didnā€™t have pupils but everyone else did (except Akane until Shimako snapped her back) or what the hell Gil and Pani did and why Sakuya turned into that giant monster then back.[quote=ā€œRyuuTamotsu, post:2, topic:3268ā€]
would you cry in the scenes where you are supposed to cry? would you even feel sad?
[/quote]

Probably not again. Every time Iā€™ve cried in an anime thereā€™s build-up leading to it, nothing in Rewrite was properly built-up in order to make me cry (or even really feel sad)

3 Likes

I suddenly have the thought that season 1 was all a joke from Tensho in order for them to show us what is the meaning of true Rewrite. 2nd season Moon and Terra will Rewrite whatever bad side of season 1ā€¦

āˆ‘ļ¼ˆā˜¼ļ¼æā˜‰ļ¼‰

2 Likes

This was just the half-decent ending that I was at least looking for. Sure, the writing was messy, and too many things happened offscreen (which they could have devoted more time to if they wanted), but the emotions were strong enough and this episode looked more-or-less pretty good visually.

Looking forward to season 2 then :))

EDIT: okay pig ears here I come

2 Likes

I really fucking enjoyed this episode actually. There was some weird stuff, like the boobs, and half the episode happening off-screen, but I felt a lot more satisfied than I was expecting to be. This was an amazingly satisfying depiction of Salvation.

But seriously guys? 2.2?

10 Likes

From this episode, I can say that the entire purpose of this first cour was to introduce the reader to Moon & Terra. And my final verdict? It wasnā€™t a very good way of introducing it.

(VN spoilers)We didnā€™t really need to know about Sakuyaā€™s alternate form; instead they could have touched on his past (which connects better to Kotarouā€™s future). We could have had more introduction into the curse of the Holy Woman, which would also connect to the long-term story better. And, most importantly, the big reveal of Kotarou being revived by Kotori could have been paced a bit better than just him stepping on the overdrive too much..

The actual placement in the lore of Rewrite was pretty satisfying; the hinting at a ā€œlineā€ disappearing at the end makes perfect sense. Itā€™s just that the scenes that they chose to show the viewer were not satisfying.

Hey realtalk I cried when Chibimosu gave his final bark.

(but thatā€™s because Iā€™m biased from the VN)

Can I join? :ā€™>

4 Likes

This episode feltā€¦ kinda badā€¦ I wouldnā€™t understand most of things if it werenā€™t because I have read the VN
Too many things off-screen, lots of unexplained stuff (Hi Pero, who are you? And hey Sakuya, you look kinda different, is it a new haircut?), and why was Koutarou transformed into a familiar tree if he didnā€™t go far enough with Rewrite?

The emotional stuff felt either too bland or rushed, I barely felt any emotions this timeā€¦ it was like stuff was just happening before it could be processed, and I didnā€™t expect Akane to be so unemotional when she got back to herselfā€¦

Seriously, this was all over the placeā€¦ I hope they will announce Moon after that cliffhanger at the end, and I hope they can handle it well tooā€¦

(Hey, wouldnā€™t be bad Moon for to be a movie or something if it gets the same quality as Planetarian, right? Though western release would take foreverā€¦ OVAs maybe? Or maybe just a different teamā€¦)

Edit: Second season confirmed, yaaaayā€¦
MOON ROUTE We have enother chance to see our waifus die at Moon (unless your waifu happens to be Inoue or Nishikujouā€¦ or Jasmineā€¦ or Tsukunoā€¦ or Sakura Kashima???)

3 Likes

I actually enjoyed this episode to be honest, they did some of these scenes well compared to what we saw before this, the Kotarou/Esaka fight was a little exciting since at least some sort of budget was used on it. They tried to set up Moon/Terra but you really canā€™t tell whatā€™s happening unless you read the VN. The linear plot for Moon/Terra should atleast make it harder to leave out vital information in the next season.

Besides this, the series as a whole was pretty much a pathetic mess and I wouldnā€™t expect any non-VN reader not to drop this. In addition, if everything was supposed to be a setup for Moon/Terra, they definitely could have done better on the vital scenes to make everything less confusing. I say they should have kept the beginning as fun/jokes and keeping the second half serious and actually explain salvation.

Any of the enjoyment I got from this was just because it was Rewrite. As an anime, this show basically butchered the entire story as well as failing in virtually every aspect that makes an anime production good (directing, sound, art, background, pacing, and they straight up jumped between scenes/moods for absolutely no purpose)

But hey, I finally got to hear beyond the darkness so thatā€™s something

My boyfriend actually enjoyed the animeā€¦ Iā€™m fairly surprised, I made him watch together with me, but this didnā€™t feel really good though I loved the VNā€¦

Well, this is awkward. I was planning to hate this ep from the startā€¦ But. No, really, this is really awkward. But I liked it. I loved it. It did met with my expectations. No, really, Iā€™m still sitiing here right in front of my PCā€¦ And just going crazy because I canā€™t hate this ep13. Even after all of those really bad eps. Iā€™m being astonished of myself.

I mean, yeahā€¦ Sakuya? Why the hell? You should have just let him go. Like, seriously. Let him goā€¦ no need to Tonokawa him into his FINAL FORM. Thoughā€¦ They did it (probably) for the sake of Moon. Like, remember, he was going his FINALFORM in that fight in the end of that route. Yeah.
Stillā€¦ Both FINALFORM Sakuya and Kagari existing at the same time?..

I liked Akane in this ep. They didnā€™t show her much, but you can guess a lot by the scenes they did show.
She tried to resist. She managed to kill Kashimaā€¦ Even Tsukuno. And she went crazy herself.

It was strange that Shizuru decided to fight against Esaka, but wasnā€™t completely unexpected. She did have feelings for Kotarou. She did choose to go against Guardian. She and Lucia did fight against Touka in this ep. So, it was plausible.

Even the scene with Kotori explaining what she did to Kotarou was enjoyable. It wasnā€™t all that rushed as well. At this point 12th ep felt like a bad dream, actually.

BUT! This whole ep and the whole anime concept really works only if you read a VN already. Otherwise, you wonā€™t get even a slightest of idea about what the hell is going on.
I liked this ep. It was really good. Iā€™ve got what I wanted out of it. And I may forgive it for OPPAI and HIIKO.
But this anime as whole was a disaster.
5 out of 5 for this ep. 6 out of 10 for this anime. And you get six only because I love VN.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s actually pretty interesting, was he able to figure out what was going on, or did you have to explain some parts to him?

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrā€¦

Iā€™m going to bed.

4 Likes

He didnā€™t figure everything, but decided to wait until the explanation for some thingsā€¦ and made me explain/spoil others too (as in, what happened to Kotoriā€™s parents at the accident before it was stated, or what exactly does each faction wantā€¦) I told him about the unofficial english patch, but he said he wonā€™t read the VN for now, and that will wait for Rewrite+ā€¦ (well, we share Steam library, I guess Iā€™ll be able to read the newer version for free, upupupuā€¦)

2 Likes

It was surprising the last episode was enjoyable for me.
The battle of Esaka and Kotarou was quite better than ep12. That was the speed I expected for. (In the first scene of using rewrite power, Kotarouā€™s move looked very slow though he overtake train) The battle of Esaka Vs Shizuru and Toka Vs Lucia sounded exciting and stirred my imagination though it wasnā€™t described.
The death of Chibimosu was quite better than the former death of Keisuke and Rikako(father and mother of Kotori).
(spoiler of ending of Rewrite)The fight between Esaka and Kotarou shows even if he can use full of his ability, he cannot defeat Esaka without training and luck with Kagaribi.
Kotarou said he were lack of time to change things. This is why Moon and Terra are needed and his sweet youth time should be abandoned. I think the word is very appropriate and helpful for the viewers.
I at last recognized that the route was made based on the assumption Kotarou and Kagari can communicate and he has connection to Gaia and Gardian, and show what would happen then.

Finally, Kotarou cannot kill Kagari. This is the opposite way Kotarou did in Terra. I think this is also effective plot for Terrra because they canā€™t show choices like VN in anime.

But these didnā€™t make me feel the adaptation was successful. In the episode, the quality of animation was still bad.

Well, for good or evil we have another season of Moon and Terra. I should judge whether this anime is č‰Æ恄čØ˜ę†¶ after the following season.

4 Likes

Since I finished the episode, I can finally give my overall thoughts on the anime rather than having confliction after confliction of the anime as a whole. But anyway this will be divided into two parts, one focusing at the episode itself, and the other half is the overall anime itself for me in my honest opinion. Be warned that this is going all around my personal opinion, so of course it will be a personal thought here.

Now for the episode in itself alone and the closure itself, I personally liked how the series or at least the first season closed around, and of course giving salvation through as I predicted, because in all honestly I didnā€™t really see any way for the series to be closed in one cour, and no offense really but if they did that it would really be very weird, at the same time very poorly executed in terms of like it was built up for ā€œthatā€ scene in some sense. I just do not really see how they would wrap things up that way in one cour for my end. As for it was done, it was a decent setup for the second season that was announced at the end of the episode, which while it was still expected considering Rewrite wouldnā€™t be complete without the main routes, it was still nice to see in terms of the news. So in terms of setup it was pretty decent, especially well, even though I wasnā€™t the big fan of it, they did had to shoehorn the one thing which was from Terra. I didnā€™t liked the idea but if they do have to do so they had to, which was fine in that case.

Animation wise it was pretty fine, some scenes were like pretty choppy but some others were pretty nice and smooth, albeit there are like some derps around the episode but they werenā€™t too much on my end which distracted me so they were minor, and as for the episode in itself in terms of emotional impact, it was rather a bit heart wrenching in some certain scenes. But its not as heart wrenching compared to the originals, but it was still something.

As for the issues, there are a few that I personally had in mind with the episode in itself, while I liked the setup, there were some pretty stupid things here or some few things that do not really make sense for me.

1. Why did Kotarou still turned into that in the second half of the episode? It doesnā€™t really make sense because in Kotoriā€™s Route Once he loses his power, or lose any cuts from his Rewrite powers, he loses basically energy, as well with his wounds returning again, and this happened after Shizuru basically killed Kagari in the process

2. The CGI for Sakuya was pretty bad, since it doesnā€™t really blend well with the background art and the scenery in general, unless it was like a dark tone. If it was like on a darker tone of lighting like night time then that would be fine at the very least. I just didnā€™t really see it working with that type of background.

Overall the episode alone was fine, didnā€™t had really that many issues in comparison to other episodes, and it was a decent setup to the second season.

Now for the overall thoughts on the anime?

I donā€™t really think it was horrible, at least for my end. Like there were some pretty interesting things implemented in the anime, for example making it easier for anyone to maybe understand one main point that I like about the Visual Novel. Another thing is that I liked the arrangements which were pretty nice to hear, although rather short but they were still nice to hear at the very least personally. Art as like alone itā€™s not too bad, itā€™s more from the long shots looks pretty bad as well with some close shots being rather weird, thatā€™s due to time constrains for the animators to maybe animate things well or make things look good. Animation at times looks alright, some good, a lot of them are pretty choppy, but I guess it wasnā€™t as bad compared to other things I saw.

From an anime original content stance, it did its job at least to setup things for Terra and Moon, and I really appreciate that, especially since now they already showed the flashbacks from Kotarouā€™s past which would now work for Terraā€™s end, because if they added that flashback in Terra it wouldnā€™t really feel natural in my personal opinion. Although the route itself isnā€™t really great aside from the setup it brought up.

From an adaptationā€™s standpoint, itā€™s not really as horrible for my end, but they could have done it better in some way or another. Like for instance even though they wouldnā€™t adapt all the comedy skits, at least focus on some that are actually pretty good ones for the episode count, at least for me. One episode you can focus maybe on one to two days most likely, etc. That can work fine on my end considering some days takes like 2-3 hours for me. Or a few takes 5 in total. I donā€™t really agree by adapting all of the 20 hours considering from an anime onliesā€™ standpoint they would get bored quickly (at least the western audience from my experience), it would drag itself for too long and then well, a lot of things happens through the time being dragged on, but I do think they could have done it better in some wayā€¦ Just thinking that they could still stay with the comedy even though it may bore people to death because it is dragged for too long, but then it wouldnā€™t have much content left to cover, or if they could have maybe focused on the main things since 80% of the Original VN for Common is SoL and Fluff, probably giving a good idea of the stuff having in, you know?

And for the anime onliesā€™ perspective, wellā€¦ itā€™s hard to really grasp the situation or the points the anime gives, its pretty much giving not much details and its pretty much a lackluster experience for the viewer, just because you donā€™t really get any clear or exact explanation about the factions would do, or at least information aside from their main goals or what they do in here. It doesnā€™t really give a pretty clear perspective here and it takes away the experience of the viewer in itself, which is a shame really. Unless someone can go and dig a lot to understand the stuff thatā€™s going on but itā€™s a very rare case in all honesty (Iā€™ve seen one person already getting the main idea of Rewrite which was surprising). You donā€™t really get the grasp on the characters, nor the story, nor what itā€™s telling as an anime watcher, in all honesty.

Overall, my viewpoints here are different but my overall viewpoint on the anime is that its pretty fine, itā€™s not really the best but I could at least understand whatā€™s going on as a reader, but it wouldnā€™t work much for the anime only viewerā€™s standpoint and if I was an anime only, then that would mean I would be confused the ever living hell out of it. No joke around on this thing even, it would be very confusing for an anime onliesā€™ stance.

But overall for personal experience I guess it was fine, it was strong at the beginning, went a bit down after like 7 episodes for me, but it didnā€™t really took away much of my enjoyment. Overall Iā€™ll probably give it like a 6.5 or something.

2 Likes

Imamiya, Gil and Pani died. 10/10

I actually managed to enjoy some of the scenes in the anime. The trick to it is to 1. be a VN reader 2. ignore all the bad parts of the anime at the right moment. But it couldā€™ve been so much more enjoyable, for everyone, if they did this properly. Some scenes were quite good, but lacked even the minimum amount of preparation/explanation.

I actually wanted to see Akane go against Kashima and then trying to resist the madness. That was the interesting part. But they skipped it, only leaving us with her just standing there, being insane.

I didnā€™t like how they (Terra and moon) use scenes from Terra and moon: Yoshino & Wolf pack fighting familiars, Kotarou having to choose between leaf-haired Kagari and humanity. Well, I get where theyā€™re going. Theyā€™re probably trying to use ā€˜repetitionā€™. Rather than ā€œrewritingā€ events completely in the future routes, the anime will only ā€œrewriteā€ little details and decisions to get Kotarou a better outcome. Though repetitioin is a proper stylistic device if used properly, it also means thereā€™s less new stuff to show the viewers.

Touching Kagariā€™s boobs? wtf

Dammit. I had decided not to expect anything, but still ended up caring about the adaption. I tried being positive. And I got disappointed big time. My minimum expectation was that it would not become a disrespectful adaption, like Grisaia S1. But this mess? Iā€™m not totally sure, but it looks kinda disrespectful. This season is only partly a new, sixths route, but also an incomprehensible chaotic mashup of all routes.

4 Likes