Rewrite Anime - Episode 10 "Simply, As Friends"

Discussion topic for Episode 10 of the Rewrite anime, which premiered on the 3rd of September, 2016. All references to outside works and to future episodes must be tagged with a [spoiler] tag.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and Australia
Akibapass in Germany

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

2 Likes

I am so in denial right now.

3 Likes

ä½•ć„ć„ć„ć„ć„ć„ć„ć„ć„ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ćƒ¼ļ¼

2 Likes

All I can say is OMG. This episode was all over the place that I had a hard time keeping up with the direction that was made. Everything felt so rushed that I want to cry out. The music placement was everywhere that it did not feel right with me at all. I really do not know what to feel after this. I usually didnā€™t complain about the episodes so far but this left me so confused that my brain is in shock after everything that happened. I was not expecting that last scene to end so tragically.

Initial thoughts again:

• It still hasnā€™t let go of the mood swings, but I donā€™t think that will last much longer at this point. Iā€™ll give it a slide again, but I doubt that would be the case for the later episodes if ever.
  • Great that the visuals look better in the episode. Too bad the action sequences were nothing too remarkable.
  • iā€™ve noticed that theyā€™ve been using too much music for the past few episode, but this episode definitely suffered the most because of that. I didnā€™t really mind for the most part, but the Yuriha placement was weird. They should really know when to use silence sometimes. Meanwhile, Iā€™m really digging that Hinagiku arrange, even more so now.
  • The stuff from this episodeā€™s preview that scared me the most earlier was the paio groping cut. Man I thought they would actually take that seriously. But at least Kotarou knew better. I was so embarrased of myself when that paio part turned out to be just Kotarou trolling Akane. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • I really like that theyā€™re hitting home the reason behind Kotarouā€™s actions.
  • I totally predicted that at least one of the heroines was going to get killed in action in the anime, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LUCIAAAAAAAAAAAAA :((((

I like the episode enough I guess ;v;

5 Likes

Why does everyone still react with surprise each time an episode feels rushed?

I think this episode managed to encapsulate everything great about this adaptation. Itā€™s not the hype conflict the last episode built up to, but Iā€™m glad theyā€™re spreading it out a bit. Also HEY LOOK! Luciaā€™s story WAS RELEVANT! Take that, haters.

Iā€™m giving this baby a 5.

9 Likes

Overall, I guess I liked the episode, but only a 3. It was all over the place with the comedy, though I must admit I laughed at it.

Still, the last scene got me!!! I wonder if theyā€™re following the Moon route for the heroines.

1 Like

Iā€™m also so happy to see more Kotarou reflecting on his actions, and mirroring Pepeā€™s thoughts from earlier. Kotarou has found his place for now.

5 Likes

I honestly donā€™t think anything in this episode, or of the entire anime-only arc even, was rushed. The scenes just tend to switch between moods in a rather fast manner, giving the episodes a sense that thereā€™s too much happening. Otherwise, the narrative is sailing in a good pace.

2 Likes

The directing is still total nonsense most of the time. Apparently Akane has the ability to process responses in record speed since Kagariā€™s nonchalant ignorant answer to her question brought her to tears in not even a second. And lol those instant cuts sometimes.

I like the way the storyā€™s unfolding though. It seems like the whole Okaken will gather around Kagari and protect her from assailants and now with Lucia being heavily implied to be dead, I believe theyā€™ll all die doing it. That would be quite a bittersweet ending to the anime, wouldnā€™t it?

5 Likes

Um, Might give my thoughts on the manner, since the episode was ratherā€¦ interesting, at least for what it was going for, and @Aspirety mentioned about encapsulating, I thought it was doneā€¦ rather nicely, in a sense.

Another thing I want to point out is that there were a few scenes that got me into account a bit, at least with what I saw in here as well. I will probably put some examples here and there in order to show what I mean. But I donā€™t know, I found those rather nice.

(I think I remember I canā€™t post more than one picture, I donā€™t know)

As well, I wasnā€™t really surprised with that ending though, considering that In Moon Routeā€™s second half with the battle, Lucia dies first.This feels more of a failed branch if you ask me, somehow, it screams failed branch.

@Sonic112003 I can kinda agree in some certain scenes where the music doesnā€™t work. For example, Rewrite song fitting in a comedy scene, even though it was used for a few seconds, feels rather weird and at the same time, it doesnā€™t really go with the mood of the scenario.

However, the Akane song between the fight between Midou and Lucia was actually conflicting. Tone wise for the song doesnā€™t really flow very well, especially the fight scenes. It doesnā€™t really go well tone wise because this is a slow song, and it seems rather weird in that area, however, when it comes to lyrics wise, I can somehow see it working on the type of scenario.

Speaking of the Midou and Lucia fight, I thought this was pretty nicely animated. Not the best animation wise Iā€™ve seen this season, but for the anime standards, this was a treat to watch, especially before that Lucia dying ending I just loved seeing the trees and everything else exploding, it was pretty nice for some god reason.

I think I have another complaint here is that there are some weird shifting here and there in some scenes, but I guess I wasnā€™t that bugged because the episode was pretty enjoyable.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry I overreacted with the episode but there were some things I did like in the episode. Iā€™m glad Kotarou and Akane were able to speak again knowing the ordeal with Gaia and Guardian hunting for the Key is still going on. The reaction on Sakuyaā€™s face when he didnā€™t make his coffee good enough for Kagari was absolutely funny. I guess I should have expected one of the heroines was going to get killed eventually but it still left me shocked anyways.

I guess there wasnā€™t anything wrong with it being rushed. Iā€™m glad that Kotarou is slowly learning how he needs to adapt to his new powers and to take control of them very carefully as Sakuya had explained to him. It looks like itā€™s heading for the Moon route as time is ticking away for Kotarou and the others as itā€™s getting closer to the end at some point.

1 Like

Saw it coming the moment Lucia offered to go instead.

It was really cool, though. Also, boob scene made threw me off, but eh, itā€™s whatever. Pretty sure sheā€™s not dead. Yet.

1 Like

Arghā€¦ Iā€™m having a headache. That last scene sweep away all my thoughts of the rest of the episode. Just wanna post this imageā€¦ I hope you guys understand what these are and who these containā€¦the music was lively when this scene was showed, butā€¦ THE FEEELSSSSSSS

1 Like

Okay to be honest Iā€™m totally faking my emotions right now LUCIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

1 Like

On the contrary, I thought the song just suited the mood just right. The song placement tells exactly that the battle between Lucia and Midou isnā€™t meant to make you feel adrenaline rush with its high-octane action sequence. Instead, it gives more emphasis on the characterā€™s emotion in that particular moment, namely, Luciaā€™s choice to protect her friends rather than strictly following on Guardianā€™s orders. It reminds me of how the sadder piano part of Kurohoshibyou was played during Kotarouā€™s face-off with the green monster in Episode 7 to signal a desperate situation.

Iā€™d say itā€™s one of the better song placement for this episode.

7 Likes

Actually there are more scenes that I actually noticed in the episode (this picture is credit to Zyo I think I canā€™t give the full name due to me forgetting it, the one I got previously on my first comment was screenshoted by Ishtoken) (Spoilers as well)

Have anyone actually noticed this scene? Lol I actually pretty was looking at it when I was watching the episode.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! LUCIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!

:sob:

To Who You Never Lie shows up in Luciaā€™s route and was written by Ryukishi07 so it made sense for them to have it playing during that scene.

Not that it still didnā€™t conflict a bit.

1 Like

Hence the title of the episode. Though if Iā€™m gonna be picky, I would have preferred if it was ā€œSimply as a Friendā€ since Japanese doesnā€™t specify plural/singular.

1 Like