Overall Music Discussion - Discover new music!

Oh no… I could really spend hours discussing my favourite music but I’ll keep it simple. I have a huge passion for music though I’ve only just recently got into making it myself. I think it would be too hard to pick a favourite genre and I like to think I have a pretty wide taste in music. It all started mid high school when I found a music blog called ‘musigh’ and it really opened my mind to what was out there. Unfortunately the site’s been down since March last year and I’m not sure if it’s coming back T_T

I don’t think I really need to mention OSTs, I love everything Shinji Orito and Jun Maeda have produced and honestly that’s what I’m working towards with my own music creation.

I should say I don’t really know sub-genres but my favourite rock bands at the moment would have to be the 1975, Joyce Manor, American Football, the Kooks and the Killers. I also just recently discovered the Flats who I’ve really taken a liking to! American football though has such incredible vibes:

Electronic-wise I adore Lemaitre and have been following them since they started. I honestly like 90% of all they’re songs, it’s kind of incredible. I also like Neon Indian, Sloslylove and RITCHRD. Here’s one of my favourite lemaitre songs:

I suppose I’d call this genre ambient? But Voyager has always been a favourite of mine. He had this style (which he has since moved on from) where he sampled scenes from films and turned them into songs. Here’s my favourite which samples from the first season of American Horror Story:

I’ve also been really getting into Keaton Henson, Sea Oleena and Benjamin Francis Leftwich (though I suppose he’d be classified as singer/songwriter, ooooh genres T_T)

Now I used to think pop was the devil but I’ve since warmed back up to it and Indie Pop is probably one of my favourite genres right now. I’m currently enjoying Satellite Stories, The Belinda Butchers and I’m sure there are others but I can’t really think of them at the moment.

Hip Hop is one I’d rather keep to myself :slight_smile:

And I guess that’s a quick summary of the kind of music I like.

2 Likes

Oh nice to see a big Lemaitre fan. I like some of the songs from them including the one you posted here. They are pretty good and I have this thing fort electronic music anyways

By listening to this I would categorize it into - minimalistic garage or chillstep with ambient elements. Yeah something like that. Nice to see that I’m not the only one enjoying such music :p.
I have my personal folder on my PC thats called “the warm of the heart” and its filled all with music like that. I like to think about things while having such music in the background ;).

Oooo do you mean composing, or just playing? And what instrument(s) do you play?

@IkaCZ yes it’s a very introspective kind of genre isn’t it? What are your favourite artists?

@yerian98 at the moment just playing (piano specifically) but I’ve been reading up about composition. The point of playing for me initially was entirely to make the end goal of composing a possibility (it seems silly attempting to compose without even being able to play…) but I found myself really enjoying being able to play my favourite piano pieces!

I’m fortunate enough that my family has a piano that has only seen minor use over the years, so it feels good to actually be putting it to use.

1 Like

@Kami_chan As If youre asking me for Ambient/Garage favorite artists. Those would be…
Burial, Enigma Dubz, Stumbleine, Owsey, Asa, Lam-Scape (this one goes for ambient a lot).
I have a lot of favorite artists but they are different by the genre ;).
Here is one of the best deep ambient songs I have ever heard and gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it. Burial is a god and I admire him.
(Please do note that Burial is something you may not experienced ever as “music” so dont expect something you will like right off the bat, Burial has deep meanings in his songs and needs to be listened more times, even I had to listen to this song more than 3 times to fully understand it.)

I wonder if people from Kaza knows any of those I have just named.

1 Like

I listened to it a few times, definitely one to ponder on. I’ll give it some time because I rarely like an artist/track from the first listen but it’s really nice mood music if nothing else!

1 Like

Okay guys! I have a question for ALL of you! If you could please listen to this song and try to … express your feelings. I am really curious on this one because I had reaaaaaaaally interesting opinions from some people. And this got me curious and the urge to know what Kaza family is thinking is unbearable.
It is a bit different from the daily music you may listen to, but if you have free time I would greatly appreciate if you could type a few words about it.
Its also connected to my research of music Im secretly doing :p, it would help me a lot.

As for me, I always feel… euphoric listening to this.
I can feel the music passing through my body. My blood is slowly warming up while the music reaches on to me. Its like a story…
And BAM I am just flying and having this … beautiful peaceful state of mind where I dont have to think about anything and truly enjoy MUSIC and LIFE in the moment. Goosebumps everytime.

2 Likes

So I’ve been listening to this song on Pandora and it sounds pretty awesome plus it could be seen as a precursor to video game music.

Also, if you loved “On a Good Day”, I think you’ll love this one.

And on a rock note, I’ve also started listening to a lot of Oasis for the first time in 2 years.

1 Like

Wait wait wait, I have missed an Above & Beyond song featuring OceanLab? No wayyyyy.
Thanks for showing me that song, I am following Above & Beyond for a while but somehow miseed this track … its really good! :3 it has a trancy vibe.
Thanks for you opinion, appreciated :).

I wish this was the daily music I listen to O_O
Damn. I always talk up how much I love music and talking about it, but I just cant find the words for this one…

I guess the image I get in my head is someone just completely breaking down crying. Maybe about something extremely happy, maybe extremely sad. But something just amazing. Like it starts with them witnessing this amazing thing. And as the music slowly grows more intense, they slowly realize whats going on, the meaning of it all. And then when the bass drops they just completely fall apart. Maybe they’re all alone. Or maybe they’re finally together with the person they love. Whatever it is, its beautiful.

That was really great Ika, thanks!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your interpretation. I was actually thinking the exact same thing! I actually almost shed a tear when I heard it for the first time.
I am listening ot this kind of stuff daily (and not only that), so if you want any suggestions or something just feel free to message me!
I mean … I AM MORE than happy to show new music to people. Seriously I just love to share music. Music is like a big part of my life, I cant live without music…
.But If I had to share every single song I love I would be spamming this topic. And I chose this carefully because of my personal intention and cuz people seemed to have nice ideas about it. Sooo i decided to share it :p.
Glad you liked it ^^.

1 Like

I’m not gonna comment how I felt the singer felt or the composer felt while making the song because it goes against my policy of thinking about other peoples’ emotions :stuck_out_tongue:

Instead, I’ll comment on how I felt while listening to it. It’s definitely a great song, for starters! I feel a bit similarly with the “flying” feeling because the style is definitely very “air”-y. But I also felt it very uplifting. Like, it’s the kind of music that makes me want to stand up while I’m listening to it, if you get what I mean

1 Like

Close your eyes for a moment (or don’t, since you won’t be able to read this).

Imagine releasing the weight from your body, one part at a time.

Begin at your feet, and work your way up until you’ve lost all weight and tension.

There is no longer anything left to chain you down.

Feel yourself being lifted out of your body, higher and higher.

Then, open your eyes, letting yourself be taken in by the vibrant colors.

Brilliant crimson pours in from the horizon, with only a fleeting glimpse of the sun to be seen.

Orange trails into a dusky purple, and glistening stars begin to ignite the sky.

Infinite potential stretches below you.

Embrace the warm breeze guiding you forward.

And move wherever your heart takes you.

I feel like a total dork for posting something like this, but this is honestly the feeling I get from the song. As a bit of story time, a couple years ago I took biofeedback lessons, which pretty much means learning to control your heart rate and relax your body. The main technique is just controlled breathing but you can also use imagery and stuff. I doubt my attempt at writing it down did it any justice, really, but hopefully you can roughly get the sense I did. I turned the lights off and closed my eyes while listening, as well as paying complete attention to the song, which is why I ended up visualizing. Normally I don’t go out of my way to immerse myself in the music, so this is a special case.

If you want a more verbal description, I think @Pepe pretty much nailed my thoughts. Very light. Personally, it strikes me as uplifting and hopeful rather than sorrowful, but I think the song could be a glass half-full or glass half-empty type deal.

So, uh, I hope that helps you out. Stay tuned for more crap that @LinkThinks.

4 Likes

[quote=“IkaCZ, post:128, topic:498”]
It is a bit different from the daily music you may listen to, but if you have free time I would greatly appreciate if you could type a few words about it.
[/quote]First I’d like to give my (unsolicited) opinion on vocal music in general. Even though in this case, the lyrics are very minimal, it’s enough to affect my interpretation of the music. I like to listen to instrumental versions or karaoke versions of songs before I hear the “normal” version wherever possible. (This is often not feasible, though.) That’s primarily because of the aforementioned affect the lyrics can have on the interpretation of the music.

With regard to the song you posted, the lyrics did not feel quite as invasive as some of the other music I’ve listened to, or happened to hear on the radio for example. I like that a lot in songs. There are a few other songs or remixes of songs that pull that off as well. (I like dub (think reggae with less vocals; not referring to the English version of “God Knows” or dub step, not that I have a problem with either). Bands like Scientist are rather good in that regard, IMO.)

As for what I felt while listening to the song, in a word: curiosity. There was no negativity in my feelings. The start of the song makes me think of a sunrise. The rest is too abstract to describe coherently. (Then again, this is all subjective so maybe that doesn’t matter quite as much as I think it does.) But the overall feeling is that of wondering, curiosity, and calmness. I wouldn’t say “relaxed,” which might typically be implied by “calmness.” Though that might just be my general disposition.

I did not feel a sensation of “flying” though. Perhaps “being” would be a better way to describe it? Enclosed not by air, but by existence… (Though the dominant feeling throughout was definitely, as I said, curiosity.)

Sorry if that wasn’t very helpful. Describing my subjective and abstract feelings objectively is rather difficult. Still, I hope the above will be of some use. :slight_smile:

[quote=“IkaCZ, post:128, topic:498”]
ts also connected to my research of music Im secretly doing :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]Oh! I like research. If you’re willing (and legally allowed) to share your research when it’s finished, I’m quite interested. I like psychology, music, and analysis, so I would very much enjoy to read through it.

[quote=“Pepe, post:133, topic:498”]
I’m not gonna comment how I felt the singer felt or the composer felt while making the song because it goes against my policy of thinking about other peoples’ emotions :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]I was surprised to read that (in a good way) as I have a similar policy. “I will not presume to understand another, as that would be operating on incomplete data.” (Also disrespectful.) I like your policy for similar reasons, plus it appears to be related.

[quote=“LinkThinks, post:134, topic:498”]
feel like a total dork for posting something like this, but this is honestly the feeling I get from the song.
[/quote]This is off-topic but I thought that was very pretty. If you’ve written stories or poems, and you’re interested in sharing them publicly, then I’d honestly be interested in reading them.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for giving their opinions on that song! Its really upfliting and nice to see how all of us sees it differently but somehow we are at the same wave and understand the music and like it.

Dont feel like that please, you described as best as you could and I loved it. Dont hesiate to write what is on your mind. Music is an intersting thing and it is hard to explain by words. Its often said that its a language when words arent enough ;d.
I have to agree with your interpratation. Most of the time I close my eyes too and visualise a scene/story/image or something personal related. And I want you to know that is only normal because music is not only music… as a bunch mix of sounds. It can also tell us a story.
And yepn it’s very uplifting and Air-y as @Pepe said

Yeah pretty much because it just depensd on what kind of person you are? I guess? But yes, I agree you can look at it both ways. (sorry listen not look hehe)

Interesting, thanks kyon you have a really nice view on this song. May I know what kind of curiosity, or what part exactly made you curious?
Im just guessing, but is it the part where the music goes intense and you feel like… you want to reach something? Eh I dont know how to say it.
If possible I would like to hear more of your curious analysis on it if that is fine :p. (Because Im curious now too hehe)

Well, I cant exactly tell you what its about or what Im doing but I can give you some hints ;).
Short story long, Music Psychology and peoples thinking about music overall.

For instance if theyre listening to the song as a whole piece, or if theyre categorizing it and listening to it carefully - example - you notice some sounds in a song no one noticed before and you scan each sound and try to describe it - and then say if it fits or not, or how would you improve it if you could.
Since music is important to me I always wanted to do such thing, and I think with people like you and many others who enrich me with their toughts and opinions I will be able to make a full analysis of Music Psychology ;D.

Oh good point, its like you feel you are here at the moment and enjoying it. Right right nice one NotKyon.
Maybe I am “flying” like that because I like to space out and think endlessly, hehe.

2 Likes

[quote=“IkaCZ, post:136, topic:498”]
May I know what kind of curiosity, or what part exactly made you curious?
[/quote]Hmm… I had a tendency to become lost in thought. Various sounds, particularly sustained notes, would trigger the same feeling you might have when genuinely wondering about something. “I wonder why the sky is blue,” or when you’re learning about something you may be interested in but find something puzzling “Oh, so that’s how it’s structured. How did it get that way?” At the same time I didn’t have any particular questions, but the same feeling was evoked.

Another way to say it might be “It puts me in a mood to think (about whatever).”

Im just guessing, but is it the part where the music goes intense and you feel like… you want to reach something?
[/quote]At around 0:59 to 1:02~ a bass (register as opposed to instrument) note plays. The feeling I get is generally present throughout the song, but it’s stronger whenever those come in. Not specifically because of them, but because of the environment the rest of the song produces and their interactions within said environment… If that makes sense, lol.

you notice some sounds in a song no one noticed before and you scan each sound and try to describe it - and then say if it fits or not, or how would you improve it if you could.
[/quote]I’ve had so many experiences like that… I remember a very early one. I was riding in the car with my mother, when I was around nine years old. A song was playing and I was intently listening to the guitar. There was one note that captured my interest whenever the song would play, so I asked “Why did they play it that way?” I didn’t intend that in a negative way. It just seemed like the song was heading in a different direction… Then when that note played the direction seemed to change, but the mood the song gave off was pretty much the same.

It does.
I call it enviroment or atmosphere depending on whats more suitable for each song.
And I know exactly what you mean by the bass, its like a background that gives it all the little push to make it all better… right?

1 Like

so Ika just told me about this. time to start posting more. might as well start with one of my most memorable song

2 Likes

Beautiful song Ryan.
What I especialy love about it, is how it slowly changes BPM. From slow, to mid-slow to fast BPM.

• the element of adding instruments one after another slowly is just well done and nicely arranged.
    I think this is kind of un-original to say but, I would totally understand why this song is called “saying his prayers”.
    It felt like a journey of a person who went through something, and hes constatly prayering until it comes true (if it even becomes true).
    Also, that last 5 seconds of that ambient … -i dont know how to call it sound- gives the whole song a fadeaway effect… as of a memory or something.
    Loving it, thanks for sharing Ryan.
1 Like

My pleasure. Most math rock songs have a similar vibe going on in it. I remember seeing a band play live once, and it was a sight to behold. They looked like they were thrashing the guitar and beating the drums, but it came out so soft. It was mesmerizing. Let me post another song that I find touching.

They are a much “harsher” band then Kyojaku, but i find their aggression to be a good expression of their emotion.