Overall Music Discussion - Discover new music!

[quote=“Pepe, post:80, topic:498”]
The gymnopedies seem to be pretty popular in Japanese media.
[/quote] That would explain a lot, actually. There was a game called ‘Binary Land’ for the NES that I played a few years ago, and it had this track playing in the background:

I never knew what it was until I discovered the same track in the second disc of the Disappearance soundtrack. It’s rather funny to find out what it is now, since it was one of my favorite video game tunes back then. :3

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, you guys. Tales of Zestiria is out in Japan, and somebody has already ripped the battle theme from the game. It’s amazing! It reminds me a bit of the older Tales games’ battle themes. :smiley:

1 Like

Too bad I didnt play any of Tales of games, but this soundtracks sounds like you are in the middle an intense fight. Really nice one.
Also speaking of battle themes, I will share one of my personal favorites :p.
http://puu.sh/eXsBV/06b75560ea.mid
This is a battle theme of a game called “Last Scenario”, it was made in 2007 I think in RPGmaker, its really an oldschool game (RPG) but I really enjoyed it, also @Naoki_Saten tried it after I recommended it. So he will for sure know this bgm battle theme :p.

1 Like

It sounds like something from Breath of Fire or Dragon Quest. It’s not spectacular by RPGMaker standards, but it’s a nice-sounding battle theme regardless.

[quote=“IkaCZ, post:84, topic:498”]
this soundtracks sounds like you are in the middle an intense fight. Really nice one.
[/quote] That is what Motoi Sakuraba does for a living. Making intense battle themes is as natural to him as breathing. That’s one of the reasons why I like him as a composer so much. :3

1 Like

It makes me recall some fond memories from back when I was messing around with the RPG maker ^^

1 Like

Anyone listen to punk rock? I’m getting back into it after listening to nothing but electronic music for the past 2 years. My current favorite band is You Blew It!. I’m so excited for seeing them live in a few weeks. The venue they’re playing in is a real punk kind of place. I actually sort of wish GirlsDeMo had this kind of screaming/singing and a lo fi aesthetic befitting of high school students (i.e. sounding like it was recorded in a basement with low quality equipment). They seem like DIY types to me. I hope the music in Charlotte has it.

Anyone been to cool shows lately?

P.S. Anyone else thing “Little Busters!” would make a great name for a ska band?

1 Like

Yo I dont know if this counts, but I listened to Billy Talent, and a lot of other bands.
I still love to listen to some of my old songs. After all I listened to rock,metal,punk.

May I know who you listened to? Im an electronic fan and I am kind of curious what artists/producers you listened to :p.

The Beatles and Queen are always my top list since I’m not really updated to recent songs. (I am not really into recent songs…)

Do Greenday or Blink182 count? ^^

If anyone here like Rock (with a recognisable screams), maybe you’ll want to listen to Coldrain. They come from Nagoya, Japan, but their songs are written in English. The singer is half-american and his English is good.

Here’s one of my favorite songs from Coldrain. It makes my blood boiled for some reason.

Any Perfume fans here?? :smiley:

There’s a band that I found out because they started in Nashville which is just a couple of hours from where I live called the Protomen. If the name doesn’t give it away their main stuff is a rock opera based around their own version of the MegaMan story line. So far they have two main albums out Act 1 - The Protomen and Act 2 - The Father of Death and they are working on Act 3 right now…finally. They have a Queen cover album as well as their newest album called The Cover Up. They played the Vans Warped Tour last year and are slowly but surely spreading to a global stage (they played an Australia concert last year). They use a ton of different genres and styles in their music and they share a producer with Meatloaf.

1 Like

Just some violin pieces that I’ve had on repeat for the last few days.

3 Likes

Oh man, looks like I missed the vocaloid talk when it was happening.

Anyways, I have kind of a love-hate relationship with vocaloid. See, the thing is, I’m really into the vocaloid music and its subculture but… I don’t really listen to vocaloids singing :stuck_out_tongue:

How do I manage? By listening to cover artists. Amateurs on NicoNicoDouga basically cover vocaloid songs and they are really really good at it, I swear.

So, any other utaite fans out there? My favorites right now are Wotamin, Reol, Matsushita, Hanatan, Ayaponzu and Yuikonnu. I would say Lon but she doesn’t do much stuff these days xP For male singers, I really like Panaman and kradness as well!

And this just gives me an excuse to post one of my favorite songs:

I like Reol both for the fact that I like shota-ish voices and that she collaborates with GigaP frequently. I really really love GigaP’s music. GigaP is also singing in this one BTW :stuck_out_tongue:

And here’s one by Wotamin. Wotamin is probably my favorite utaite of all time, thanks to her powerful voice:

1 Like

I like both Vocaloids and covers. Some sound better as covers, others don’t. Kiseki Kokoro for example, just doesn’t feel right when it’s not sung by Rin and Len.

My favorite is Touyu~ He has nice range.
Glutamine is great too. The voice! Kyah~! Or something :stuck_out_tongue: Butterfly on your right shoulder <3
His cover of Rolling Girl is great, but when you combine it with Akiakane’s… wow.
I have a bunch of friends who like Valshe and 96Neko.

I follow Youtaite’s mostly. Annalatido’s covers introduced me to it back in… 2009? Since then I’ve phased in and out of Amanda Lee, Miku-tan, Rockleetist, and Froggie’s channels. Miku-tan and Rockleetist aren’t doing much on YT nowadays though…

[selflesspromotion]
I have an old friend named Canna who became a Youtaite a couple years ago. She used to sing in an Indonesian band with her brother and some friends, but she uploads to YT now. I didn’t know until I stumbled across her name while following a Youtaite contest! So surprising.
Generally singers make different groups for different contests to mix things up, but these guys:

Moonlight Sonata is the best. It has Froggie who I mentioned above in it too.

There’s a Visual Novel themed song, so it probably fits in here, but they’ve done other stuff. It’s one of the old ones, but it’s fitting.

They did a song for New Years, so check that out!

[/selflesspromotion]

1 Like

I know how you feel about Vocaloids, and I think im at the same position. I love some songs from them but I couldnt listen to them on a regular basis or listen to only-vocaloid. Their singings is not that bad, but sometimes it can be really annoying or not-well-synced.

I am! I totally love Hanatan’s songs and Reol is awesome too :3! Also I dont know if Nico Nico Chorus and GigaP, MuryukoP is included as an utaite but I love those too :3. I like bunch of others, but Im not really sure if they are in the utaite category, so ill confirm that first and then maybe edit it :p.

Daaaaaayum thats so awesome! I love her voice, its really powerful as you said, it gives a lot of energy. I should check more of Wotamin :3333.

@Takafumi They are really talented and I enjoyed listening to their songs. But that moonlight sonata is just gorgeous. You did say some of your friends went on doing youtube stuff, but I didnt expect it in this way.

1 Like

The Leia one! LEEEIIAAAAA. Shame the Reon one isn’t as good… I prefer that song.

Moving on from Utaites and onto actual Vocaloids, what’s everyone’s favorite Vocaloid song? Mine would have to be Yonjuunana. I like the ones with long stories :stuck_out_tongue: Kagepro too of course

I used to follow Vocaloid ask blogs before the good ones died out. The Oliver release and the SeeU release were sooooo exciting.

I also went to see Miku and friends live with a couple people. It’s so energetic. Glowsticks everywhere. A fun band. Great songs. 13 year old girls shouting “I love you Len!” I had so many Mikubook stickers that I kept finding them around the house for weeks after. First time I ever went to a convention too, so seeing cosplayers was amazing.
It was nothing compared to that LA one though. That looked amaaazing.

2 Likes

I’m listening to GirlsDeMo again and forgot how awesome they are! And it turns out there is some screaming :3

I’ve been listening to a lot of techno/tech house/deep house recently. And I don’t mean “techno” as in “what Americans call all electronic music”. I mean actual, authentic dark minimalist Berlin techno :stuck_out_tongue: A lot of artists combine all 3. My favorites are Hot Since 82 and Dusky (dat FM bass). I also listen to BBC Essential Mix and random compilations from Toolroom Records on Spotify. Listening to tech house while driving is one of my favorite things to do cause you can really feel the car shake :smiley:

Sure! Don’t listen to anyone who says otherwise.

2 Likes

I can never take glutamine seriously after what he did in Bad End Night :v But yeah, he’s a pretty good singer and I agree that rolling girl was pretty good, but I highly prefer Akiakane’s. Combined, though o_O When did that happen? I need to find that!!!

Although I think my favorite cover of his is Nou Shou Sakuretsu Girl. And not the stupid one on the internet, but the decent one in his album lol

That Youtaite (is that how they’re called now? lol) vid you linked is pretty good too :slight_smile: I think Miyu was the best in the first vid. I could never get into those but eeeh one day I guess I will~

It’s really really hard to pick one, but, for the sake of being able to, I’m gonna pick the one that got me into this whole mess in the first place: Karakuri Pierrot. Specifically it was the GigaP cover:

Then that told me that I should really look for a real person covering the song because I couldn’t stand the vocaloid, so I found Wotamin:

From there on out, it was a slippery slope into the fandom

Also for Nico Nico chorus, aren’t those just different singers combined by a fan into one song? I kinda have a hard time following stuff that isn’t officially sanctioned because there are so many numerous versions. So like when a friend asks me “Have you listened to the Panda Hero NicoNico Chorus?” I straight up say “Which one?”

Just letting you know, those apply for pretty much any J-Pop concert :wink: But eh it’s actually more worth it to see those things abroad. To quote a Japanese person “You pay the same amount to see Miku in the size of your pinky finger for a concert in Japan” :v And they have never come to my home country so oh well

1 Like

Most of his songs just end in him making up words. He’s not the best at lyrics~

Miyu does some good ones. Sometimes her voice is powerful; other times, soft.

Their songs are all different styles. The VN-themed one is cheerful. There’s one about being 2-faced and bullying full of cool screams and stuff. There’s a christmas-ey one that’s catchy.
A lot of the charm comes from seeing them improve too. I’m most interested in the mixing techniques they use.
Occasionally a gem comes along too, which is nice.

Eww… He did some really weird tremolo-ish things with Luka’s voice that I’m not fond of. Are all his covers like that?

Yup. Some are done well, some are awful. I usually just ignore them because they’ll probably be bad.

Huh, I fell out of touch with the new Vocaloid releases in '11 so I didn’t think I’d know any Giga-P songs… but I kind of recognize the chorus. I KNOW I’ve heard this covered somewhere… Uuuugh, gonna have to find how I know it now or it’ll annoy me.

Welp, it’s almost 5am and I couldn’t find it. I know I heard a duet of that song somewhere though…

You see, there was a reason why I told myself I should really look for a real person cover :stuck_out_tongue: Actually, 96Neko covered that specific version of the song on one of Gigabanana’s albums and it’s really good.
To answer your question, I don’t really know because I don’t pay attention to the vocaloid versions welp

I usually just listen to songs and OST from anime, games and visual novels, whatever sounds good to me and makes me feel happy. ^^ Of course, as a Key fan, I listen to KSL songs quite often. Some of my favourite singers are ChouCho, yannaginagi, Lia, ClariS, eufonius, fripSide. Right now, I’m hooked to the OP for Narcissu.