Overall Music Discussion - Discover new music!

Rob’s done a lot of other good stuff. I like that “All I need is you” one. Oh, and the celebrity impressions thing they did for April Fools.

Hey guys, time for some Canadian folk music.
As a Canadian, I was not even aware that there was such a thing as “Canadian folk” music and recently discovered it. I have always been a fan of folk and country , but never really researched for artists from my own country. I really enjoyed this new discovery and I thought I would share it with you.
Here are a couple of good songs by a bloke named Stan Rogers who hails from Hamilton and who died too young in a plane accident.

Also, since I’m talking about folk music, if you are interested here are some links to folk music from the province of Quebec, which is very different from other Canadian folk, mainly because it is in french. Enjoy

I’ve recently come across a band called Gesu no Kiwami Otome, and I am just loving their sound. Here’s a few tracks by them:

2 Likes

Wow, theyre really great. Reminds me a bit of Ling Tosite Sigure, just with crazy piano instead of crazy guitar.

Speaking of which, they just released some new songs a couple months ago… too bad Sony hates us and blocks all the youtube videos :komue:

So have some classic stuff instead

1 Like

(Note: I hope this is not double posting or spam.)

Have somebody listened this song? This song is come from Rockman X5. (JP Ver. Only)
Song: Mizu no Naka
Artist: Showtaro Morikubo

Yay a music topic! kinda late noticing

Well a little about my music taste then:

My favorite genre is probably rock, but I’m not exactly picky about what songs I like. Lately I’m listening to electronic music, which started of by listening to EGOIST’s Namae no Nai Kaibutsu last year. I’m still amazed at how to put together music instruments and electronic music in one song, and aspire to make a song like EGOIST. While on it, I might as well say that I’m learning to use FL Studio and make my own electronic music.

My favorite band is supercell when the vocals are Yanagi Nagi, which doubles up as my favorite singer too. Other than supercell, I also like GiDeMo, One ok Rock, EGOIST and Aimer.

If I might as well share something might as well be a Jun Maeda x Yanagi Nagi!

2 Likes

Best album art + song combo I’ve ever seen.

Add in Supercell and you have every Japanese music fad I’ve had.

Well, supercell is my favorite. Although I kinda like Nagi’s voice than Koeda, but it’s still an enjoyable band. So a high five from me to you good sir :grin:

1 Like

My go to music has been Daft Punk’s album Discovery. I listen to it whenever I am on long drives, working on homework, or reading sci fi manga. The music keeps me focused, while remaining enjoyable. There is also a cool anime film called Interstella 5555. It is an hour long film that is synced to the full play through of the album. Here is the film’s trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqbSaOw0TvE

3 Likes

I need to watch that film someday.

3 Likes

Everyone should listen to Last Dinosaurs and their entire album “in a million years.” They are an indie rock band from australia and they are half japanese and half Australian. Honestly I can listen to this album every single day for the rest of my life. Its one of those albums that can stay with you through life no matter what you go through. Every single song is good and if it isn’t listen to it a couple of times and you’ll see what I mean. You can find it on youtube. Thank you fortaking the time to read this.

1 Like

Probably a longshot, but are there any Mark Kozelek fans on Kaza? All I’ve been listening to lately is old Red House Painters stuff https://youtu.be/4BMZ7wfLyno

So I finished Cowboy Bebop the other day, and holy crap that soundtrack

And many more, but I don’t wanna spam too much^^

3 Likes

Guess I’m really getting really into Japanese bands recently ^^ Now I’m getting into UNISON SQUARE GARDEN. Looks like they’ve done a bunch of anime songs (of shows I never watched lol)

1 Like

No one seems to remember Five for Fighting anymore… :komue:
I miss 2000s music sometimes…

Also, a band a stumbled upon on reddit: 輕晨電, or Morning Call. A Taiwanese band that sings in Mandarin Chinese. Interesting.

On a random note, 1st Place Co (IA) has been releasing things for a new Vocaloid throughout this year.

ONE -Aria on the Planetes-

And oh hey… This is pretty cool (although much more… rough? I guess is the word I’d use)

2 Likes

Is ONE even a vocaloid? I think she’s a voicebank for a speech synthesizer… Not a singing synthesizer lol

She has a voicebank for both. Speech bank was released in January, SInging Bank was released sometime in May. If I remember right at any rate.

1 Like

I’m sure someone has already mentioned this before but I’m to lazy to look. Recently I’ve been addicted to Yanagi Nagi songs. I basically just listen to the Euaru, Polynomio, and Foe albums any time I put on my earphones. Notably I haven’t been listening to Owari no Hoshi but that’s just because I’m waiting until Owari no Hoshi bookclub (or music appreciation thing?) happens eventually and then I’ll listen to it again.

2 Likes