Little Busters! - Minigame Discussion

I remembered a question I had about the baseball game.

Does anyone ever actually use CTRL to make Riki move faster? It’s just so awkward to do. I usually have my right hand on the mouse and my left hand on the arrow keys. I have found it possible to rest my little finger on the CTRL key, but it starts aching after a short while.

Don’t really need it after Rin gets better control of her pitches, but just wondering if anyone is capable of using it without finding it awkward as heck.

I guess one could get a tiny little weight and put it on the CTRL key.

I also think they should have assigned the space bar to batting, rather than just having you click, and maybe use the ALT keys for faster movement instead.

I never used the ctrl key, Riki is almost too fast when you press it. It’s easier to just ignore rin’s bad pitches :stuck_out_tongue: But do you really need the mouse for batting? I remember that I was using the keyboard but I’m not sure which key it was. Maybe enter?

It’s not awkward at all for me. I have a laptop, so my left hand holds down on the Ctrl key and left mouse button, while my right hand uses the arrow keys. I don’t know how things are for desktop PCs, but I can imagine it’s a valid complaint. ._.

I hold it down all the time when playing. I don’t have any issues holding the CTRL key with my little finger myself, seems comfortable to me.

Yeah same here.

if you right click as soon as the game starts and quit, you still get the stat boosts 0.0
no more aching hands

Yeah but some part inside of me feels the boosts depend on how you play or the combo you accumulate. I have no way of proving that, but I want to believe.

It’s a shame the minigames aren’t translated on the PSP version patch, which was the one I played, but I could understand some of what the voices said. But they never let Masato finish his line during baseball practice! Someone always interrupts him.

666/66 The post of the devil!

I used it all the time. Never let go of ctrl while I’m playing. Riki is painfully slow otherwise.
Little finger on ctrl, fingers on left, right, and up/down, then right hand on the mouse. I have small hands though, so that probably helps.
You can also have left on ctrl and enter, and right on the arrows.

Space would be great. Little finger on ctrl, thumb on space, and then either wasd or arrow controls for movement would be my ideal.
I don’t think I’d like to use the alt key though. It’s always in a bad place on the keyboard.

So we discovered that the algorithms for calculating statgain are actually complicated as fuck. Source from LB! Perfect Visual Book1 2.

The game first calculates a total gain based on different formulas depending on the character. At this part, Komari has a 1,5 times multiplier meaning she actually grows the most over time. Kyousuke has 0,9 for balance probably. Riki gets a bonus based on the number of balls Kyouske catches. rin gets a bonus based on the number of special pitches she does.

The totals are distributed between the different stats depending on the character. Where it gets tricky is that the total contains a number of bonus points based on what happened during practice. The full list is very long but also pretty hilarious. For example, the biggest bonus goes to Mio if you can hit her. Komari and Kud also get big bonuses from being hit; it’s actually better to hit them than it is for them to catch the ball. In fact, plainly catching the ball is the worst way to raise any character’s stats. Bringing the dumbbells you get from playing with Masato to practice will increase Riki’s stats further.

So the moral of the story is to abuse Komari if you want her to be a contender.

6 Likes

Haha, I’m glad someone is finally breaking open the game like this.

It’s nice to know that I’m helping when I hit Kud, Komari and Mio with the ball under the tree when they eat their bento.

Apparently you can somehow hit the ball in between them and give extra stats to all 3.

Yeah I’ve done that a few times. It’s funny cuz the bento spills all over the place

Why am I not surprised? :yahaha:

4 Likes

Never works for me. Running scans of 4 bytes always eventually runs out of results.

That baseball minigame is the bane of my existence

1 Like

Since everyone will read Saya in the near future, I’ll give my impressions of her minigame in both the EX and steam editions. See you at Crying Games Done Quick 2k17.

Steam edition is ea~sy as balls. In the original, the Riki part mostly, was incredibly unforgiving. And this difference all comes down to one thing: recoil. You almost never had enough time to line up a second shot if you missed. (My relatively high mouse sensitivity also played a part.)

I’d describe the EX edition as a cutthroat sniper game whereas the Steam edition is all about spray-and-pray. I discovered that, because of having no recoil, you can combo your left clicks with the Enter key for insane fire rate. You can just point in the vague direction of your target, and they die.

1 Like

In theory, if I have read comments correctly, you can control how the stats are awarded by hitting the ball at a specific character you want to boost and doing combos. This is irrelevant to me as I have 25-40% success rate of hitting the ball at best and 0% chance of directing it where I would like anyway. Well after a few rewinds I can get a bit better but the next day I’m back to worse than pathetic. Still, I guess the stats awards if you skip the practice are just random and may not be so helpful.

Being advised that the swing only starts when you release the left mouse was a major help as I moved Herbert into ( usually the wrong) place and was then releasing which caused a swing I didn’t mean, now I know to move and only release the mouse button to swing (and miss most likely).

For me the CTRL key is awkward and pointless as all that would achieve is me running into the ball more quickly ( I get hit on at least 25% of balls too). I did get the PS4 controller working but the swings had a really horrific lag and I missed 20 x 20 all the time.

I do seem to be good at hitting the cats though so I do get one positive out of it.

Clearly many here are really good at this so it may just be down to the fact that some of us may as well have flippers for hands and reflexes like a tree, and we’ll never be better than not quite adequate. When I reach the actual game itself I expect to set a record worst defeat…

I’m actually beginning to get proud of just how atrocious I am at this rather than frustrated…

EDIT update: Holy crap, I got a 4 combo! Didn’t seem to have any big effect on the stats up though…

I suck at practice so much >.< Don’t worry, you’re not the only one. Oh and I sucked even worse during my first common route.

I challenge anyone here to beat my score :smug:

7 Likes