Key Tears Confessional

For me, the emotions I felt while watching Clannad: After Story were more powerful than anything I had ever felt before or have felt since, even from real-life events. I’ve never before or since cried as powerfully as I did during certain events in the second season. In fact, it’s not a stretch to say that Clannad: After Story actually changed my life.

When I started watching the series, I was living at home, and doing a job that was interesting enough, but where I wasn’t truly respected. I’ll call the working conditions fuel, and my family’s support the oxygen.

The emotions I felt from Clannad: After Story provided the spark, igniting a desire to make my own life happen. Driven by this desire, I finally achieved independent living, and found a great job I enjoy to this day.

The music from the Clannad soundtrack (and related albums) has had interesting effects for me, some lasting even to this day:

• Tracks like “Toki wo Kizamu Uta” (After Story opening) and “Nagisa~Saka no Shita no Wakare (title itself describes a specific major scene in After Story) were able to bring me back to tears for quite a few months after I watched.

• The piano remix of “Chiisana te no Hira” is amazingly effective at letting me relax. I’ve even used it at the dentist’s office during noisy tooth work, after I got them to turn their music down a bit. It’s even better when played at 80% speed (without pitch correction).

• Most interestingly, for around the first 30 seconds I listen to “Yukinohara” or “Shoujo no Gensou” on any given day, I start feeling freezing cold and get goosebumps, even if I’m simultaneously way too hot in the middle of summer. It’s quite a strange feeling. Now if only I could extend that effect to last all day…

If I ever get married (and I sure hope I find somebody), I’d love to have “Kage Futatsu” played at my wedding.

1 Like

I think every KEY VNs/Anime that I have watched always managed to make me tear up. I must be a crybaby… Ah wait. I didn’t cry on Charlotte. Almost. But not quite.

These are the notable scenes which made me shed my manly tears.

Kanon:

Makoto’s disappearance

AIR:

Haruko and Misuzu scene at the beach. Emotional as fuuuudge.

Clannad:
Fuuko route: Fuuko’s ghost meets her sister
Tomoyo route: The reunion. At that hill.
~After Story~ : The vacation to the moonflower field scene, and also when Tomoya found out about his father’s past.
Tomoyo After: Dat ending. Fak. The best thing KEY has ever made.

Planetarian:

Yumemi’s death, specifically when she starts speaking that line to invite to the planetarium again. And Yumemi’s flashback part.

Little Busters!

Refrain’s fight.

Yuiko ending

Angel Beats!

Graduation scene!!

Rewrite
Sizuru’s route: Touka’s sacrifice, telling Kotarou that she wished he was her student and Sizuru trying her best screaming Toukaaaaaa T-T and I broke down during that diary thing at the end of the route. OOT- This is why I want an omnibus anime for rewrite.

Moon: Yoshino and Sakuya fighting off the familiar to the end of their life.

Charlotte
Almost cried at the end of the 7th episode.

Kanon:

Mai’s Starting from bunny ears memories. Best Kanon girl, she should be the main heroine.

Makoto’s Final bell scene, cling, cling cling T.T…T.T…T.T

Clannad:

Misae’s Ultimately Katsuki’s route Tomoya’s confession which reminded her of Katsuki’s confession. Katasuki’s dissapearance. The reuninon the school festival (even if he was a cat)

Kotomi’s The teddy bear, there is no need for any more words..

Fuuko’s Sunohara struggling to remember Fuuko. Fuuko’s sister unable to see Fuuko Everyone forgetting Fuuko. Sanae unable to see Fuujko. Nagisa forgetting Fuuko. Okazaki remembering and seeing agin Fuuko who was always by his side. Okazaki forgetting Fuuko again while still having his feelings for her..

Ushio’s Sanae-san told me the places I can cry are in the bathroom… and in daddy’s arms. Is there something you want Ushio, I want to go on a trip with daddy again. It’s dark, Is it night? Daddy loves you too. The final two CGs with Ushio running happily in the sunflowers field and Nagisa and Tomoya watching her smiling.

Angel Beats

Iwasawa’s She happily dissapearing.

Yui’s Her promise with Hinata.

Rewrite:
Lucia’s The sunflowers field, both of them, but specially the rotting one, now whenever I remember that soundtrack my chest hurts.
Kotori’s Kotori, am I a familiar?. Darling, don’t forget the gun, Yeah we have to protect our family. Koutaro dying and being carried by Kotori.

Shizuru’s Koutaro leaving Shizuru to rewrite himself to a tree (the hugging scene and Gil/Pani returning. Final CG(Gil/Pani sitting on Koutarou’s branch)..

Akane’s Koutaro reuniting with Akane after the Okaken’s disbandment begging her to let him stay with her..

Moon’s That ending, the wish please don’t abandon the girl who is always alone.

Terra’s Am I cursed? (Why the hell there is a zillion of chioces of don’t kill her when you don’t let him take anything other than kill her, that’s downright cruel!!!)

Key, if it weren’'t for your efforts, I would be an emotionless machine forever.

Edit: Corrected an important orthography error.
Edit2: I realized that I didn’t put the Kanon scenes.

Little Busters! VN
Haruka’s route; her family is just to messed up
Refrain when Haruka Kanata plays

Little Busters! anime

Kengo’s breakdown: when he realized he was going to die while he just want to play with the rest
Refrain episode 11; almost the entire episode
Haruka/Kanata backstory in LB!EX; see above

Clannad

Nagisa’s death and Ushio’s death (though I didn’t cry directly…I needed some time to process her death)

Angel Beats

Yuri and the main Otonashi’s backstories

1 Like

@Random_User There was a girl named Kotori in CLANNAD ?:scream::scream::scream:

Anyways.

Air

• Goal, Misuzu’s last word before dying.
  • Misuzu dying and Haruno breaking down, saying how they just started to be a family, how she wanted to give Misuzu the years that she ignored her, how much she loved her, and Misuzu saying how the whole summer, from the moment she met Yukito until now, was filled with a whole lifetime of fun,
  • Kanna’s death, how she was shot down, and how she’s trapped in her own soul, which is kinda sad.
  • Misuzu’s breakdown when she and Yukito are playing cards. You can obviously see her trying not to break down since Yukito is her only friend she ever had/will ever have
  • Misuzu asking Yukito to not leave her, but he does, and she’s lying there on the floor, depressed
  • Misuzu running to her “mom” because she loves her so much, when the dad tried taking her away.

Kanon

• Ayu saying “I don’t think there’s gonna be a tomorrow for me…”
  • Shiori’s final moments
  • Kaori’s breakdown saying “Why did I even have a sister if she was gonna die in the first place ?!”
  • Mai’s backstory. Cmon, her mom being in the hospital was just sad.
  • Makoto calling Akiko “mommy,” and tries reaching out to her but can’t because shes losing life force.
  • Akiko breaking down when Makoto leaves, after Makoto calls her “Mommy”
  • Ayu’s breakdown when she goes to the top of the hill, and doesn’t see her “school” and realizes she’s been living in a fake reality.
  • Makoto’s last moments, and when she looses the wedding thing you put on your head
  • Akiko’s accident
  • Nayuki’s depression and breakdown
  • Sayuri’s brothers death.

CLANNAD

• Ushio and Tomoya’s sunflower scene, when she said that Sanae told her that she could only cry in 2 places, the bathroom, and in daddy’s arms.
  • Before the sunflower scene, when Tomoya’s grandmother told him about Tomoya’s father’s struggle in raising him
  • Kotomi’s parents dying, and how she was running around the house trying to find them cause she didn’t want to face reality
  • Kotomi in depression, and what caused it, and how she felt that she needed to study and all that as a sin.
  • The teddy bear present, which was beautiful, how it was passed around the world so it could reach her.
  • The sad reality of loosing your parents, and your only friend on the same day
  • Fuko’s departure, hugging Kyouko before she goes, and flying off with the cherry blossoms.
  • Tomoyo’s brother’s death, how he jumped in the river, and how he was hospitalized, making the mother cry and the family get close together.
  • Tomoyo’s reason for wanting to keep the cherry blossom trees alive
  • Nagisa’s breakdown during her performance, because she found out how her parents stopped acting because of her birth.
  • Akio’s words to Nagisa’s when he sees Nagisa crying on stage, how he says that Nagisa is their dreams, that she needs to carry their dreams.
  • Ushio asking about mommy, and Tomoya’s crying, on the bus ride back from the sunflower field.
  • Fuko asking Ushio what Nagisa was like, and Tomoya cries during her last sentence, saying she was someone daddy loved.
  • Yukine praying to her brother, and everyone starts praying too, then “Shining in the sky” plays, omg, and how thankful she is.
  • Illusionary world when she says “Sayonara, Papa” as the last sentence.
  • Ushio’s death in the snow, and how Tomoya starts breaking down. And let’s be real, the animation being beautiful in that scene just made it more beautiful.
  • The reset, how we get to see the happy ending that we never saw before.
  • Mei’s backstory of when guys were bullying her when she was on the swing.

Tomoyo After

I only read the end scene, so yah. The end scene was just beautiful and sad, how he died, but she continued living even through the sarow

Little Busters!/Ecsasy

• Haruka’s backstory, my gosh, what horrible things they did to her
  • Kanata’s backstory, my gosh, what horrible things they did to her
  • Haruka talking to Kanata, ending the feud.
  • Kanata telling them about the scars, and about how she loved Haruka
  • Haruka hugging Kanata and forgiving her, and saying “I’m sorry”
  • The ending of Haruka’s route, when she and Kanata go to their mother, walking side by side with their second father, and they’re waiting there, the first father and mother, and Haruka sees them and runs to hug the mother, then the mother looks at Kanata and gives her hand gestures to also come, then Kanata is shocked and Kanata hugs the mother too, then we get a picture of a family photo taken a few years back, of all of them.
  • Yuiko’s disappearance
  • Rin’s scene in her story, where she goes into her desk, and takes out a notebook and a picture of all the LB members, falls out, the one they took together. Then she starts crying. Then 1 by 1, she finds each LB (girl) member and they tell her a good advice/something they love about her, before disappearing.
  • Komari as the last girl. Waiting for Rin, and wishing that Rin smiles even through the painful times. Then Rin cries, Komari disappears, and yeah
  • End of Refrain
  • Saya’s ending, and Saya’s backstory

Rewrite

• That purple haired teacher, saying goodbye to Shizuru and Kotarou in Shizuru’s route, near the ending. Saying how it would be beautiful, and how she might cry if she ever saw Kotarou, Lucia, and Shizuru on graduation day. How she was trying to protect them.
  • Shizuru and Kotarou’s moment when they hug and she’s sad that they have to depart, saying how she wants Kotarou to stay with her forever, and how much she loves him.
  • Lucia’s ending. First part was fine IG.
  • Kotori’s backstory, how her parents died, and how when she saw them, they didn’t look like her parents, meaning they were hurt badly, and how she asked the Key to save them.
  • Kotori struggling to save Kotarou’s life, using all her strength, screaming, fighting the things that scare her, and crying because of how hurt Kotarou is. Props to her voice actor. The last moment when she gets into the city, and she’s crying out for people to get out of the way. That was just heart breaking.
  • Moon, the ending, how everyone died.
    I’d add more, but I only read parts of Common, Kotori, Shizuru, Moon, and Terra,

Angel Beats!

• Yuri’s backstory, how her siblings were killed off 1 by 1
  • Masami’s backstory, how her parents were always fighting
  • Masami’s obliteration
  • Yui’s backstory, how her mom always had to help her, and how she felt that she caused a burden for her mother.
  • Yui’s ending, nuff said.
  • Graduation scene, that was just sad, true, and beautiful (though I could have lived without Naoi being there).

Edit - OHHH I FORGOT ABOUT CHARLOTTE !!

• Misa/Yusa visiting their parents, and Misa eating the noodles ? And she starts crying because she realized the thing that tastes so good, that makes it taste so good, is the love of her parents, and then her parents break down in tears, because they remembered Misa
  • Misa’s last moments, saying goodbye to Takajo, and Takajo smiling because he had a good time with Misa
  • Yusa reading the letter Misa left for her, honestly, one of the saddest scenes in the entire anime
  • In episode 3, forgot his name, but there was this guy, Misa’s friend, with red hair, when he was confessing to Misa, and crying, and blaming himself for Misa’s death, and that beautiful song plays in the background, and Misa tells him to move on, and not let the dead make him stay, and then Misa says goodbye to them, saying that it has been a blast, and tons of fun. That was just sad, like the “end of a festival”. (Little Busters! Anime OP 2 Lyrics Pun intended :joy::joy::joy:)
  • When Ayumi dies, and Yu is all out of control, and trying to find Ayumi, trying to dig her up, acting insane.
  • When Yu realizes Ayumi is dead, and gives a speech, saying how he never repayed her for the things she gave him.
  • When Nao makes Yu the pizza sauce omlett thingy, to make him sane again, and the violin song plays :grin::grin::grin:
  • When Kumugami died :sob::sob::sob: Trying to save Nao.
  • When Shunsuke asked that one girl to erase Ayumi’s and Yu’s memories of him, and he said that he’ll always love them, then kisses them.
  • When Yu kicks Nao’s English guide thing, and he starts crying
  • The ending, how Yu didn’t remember Nao and Nao actually showed emotion, how sad she was.

Wow, Charlotte had so many tearful moments, yet is the least saddest one IMO. But I remembered every episode so.
Didn’t say Planetarian, since Planetarian was kinda boring for me, and that Junker dude was a douche. The ending was beautiful, but not beautiful enough to make me cry.
Didn’t read Kud Wafter
Didn’t play Harvest Festa
Waiting for Harmonia

2 Likes

Kanon (2006 anime):

• Makoto struggling to say Yuuichi’s name but finally managing to do it
  • Makoto and Yuuichi’s “wedding”

• Everything about Makoto, really
  • Little Mai making the snow bunny zoo for her mother
  • Shiori and Kaori finally becoming close
  • Kazuya’s death

• When Ayu disappears and Yuuichi thinks she’s dead

Air (anime):

• Michiru’s goodbye to Minagi

• Misuzu calling Haruko “Mama” after she regains her memory
  • The “Goal!” scene

Clannad (anime):

• Sanae crying because she can’t see Fuuko anymore
  • Kouko and Yuusuke’s wedding

• The teddy bear scene
  • Shima’s goodbye to Misae

• Basically every scene with Tomoya and Ushio, especially when she cries in his arms and when he tells her about how he met Nagisa
  • Sanae finally crying for Nagisa after five years
  • Ushio’s death (quite possibly THE most painful scene in any Key work ever)

• Tomoya and Nagisa reuniting, especially when she tells him she’s glad they were able to meet

• The ending, when Chiisana Te no Hira plays

Planetarian:

• Yumemi remembering all her friends at the planetarium before they died
  • Yumemi’s death

Little Busters! (original VN):

• The night before Takuya dies and he’s talking to Komari for the last time

• Haruka and Kanata finally acting like loving sisters again
  • Kurugaya’s disappearance

• Miles’s death

• That One Scene in Refrain (you all know which one I’m talking about)
  • Rin saying goodbye to all the girls

• “It’s not enough.”

Angel Beats!

• The montage of what could have happened if Hinata met Yui while they were alive

• Yuzuru and Kanade telling each other they love each other

Rewrite:

• Chibimoth’s death

• Shizuru’s diary

Charlotte

• Honestly just the very end of the last episode; nothing else made me cry

At least, those are all the parts I distinctly remember crying at. There are probably waaaay more that I’m forgetting.

1 Like

I watch the Air anime almost every summer and cry my eyes out at the end every time.

The whole last arc is heart wrenching for me, but watching Misuzu struggle towards Haruko and just say “Goal da” when she reaches her turns me into crying mess. And I love it.

I also always cry when I watch Makoto’s arc in Kanon, and I don’t really even like her the rest of the series.

1 Like

Hoo boy, have you read the VN? Because the impact in the VN is like 3x more tearjerking ;_;

I haven’t yet. At this point I am kind of hoping that Sekai Project licenses it (though I would order it from them even if bought the Japanese version) I have it on the PS2 but find reading VNs in Japanese too laborious - I’ve only finished Nanatsuiro Drops and Strawberry Panic in Japanese and when I started Air didn’t feel up to the difficulty spike- and didn’t realize you could get 18+ version of air from Amazon Japan until recently which is the only version with a patch.

Well this is kind of the opposite, but I didn’t cry in after story, not that I didn’t find it sad. when Nagisa died I was shocked of course, but not upset, and when Ushio died I found it really predictable and not sad at all. weirdly enough I found After story, which is considered the best season of clannad, boring for most part, except for when Tomoya was still at school. (spoiler of what the plot of After Story is mainly about) Him growing up with Nagisa, marrying her, getting her pregnant and getting the job, along with him going depressive and etc. was really plain and boring to me. I enjoyed the backstory of his father and Yusuke Yoshino but other than that… That being said, I nearly cried when (Kotomi Spoiler) Kotomi cried out to her parents, shit that, and her innocence and how you can’t help but love her character, it gets to you ahaha but I didn’t cry. Same deal with how (little busters spoiler) Mio disappearing, shit that sense of lose of identity and then Riki ‘fighting’ for her, and even him crying . I seem to have a habit of getting attached to, well, they’re not supporting characters, but they’re not main characters either.

Another confession is I didn’t cry (angel beats - the anime though, not the vn or manga - spoiler) when Kanade disappeared. infact I was pretty pissed off by how she didn’t confess her love back (I watched dubbed, idk about sub), she just thanked Otonashi as if the whole thing was just a way of her showing her appreciation. that being said, I went a bit off topic and if you want to argue about that, go ahead and message me or quote this into a new thread (or already existing).

Because of how sad these scenes are, and how I never cried, I kinda feel as if I have a cold heart or my eye ducts just don’t work (please don’t take me serious when I say I have a cold heart ahaha) because it’s not just these anime, but so many more, and books, and westerns films, even vocaloids and songs.

Here you can find how to install a patch for any of the versions (^^)b Thank @Takafumi~

3 Likes

For me, Nagisa’s death was really really predictable; and because the anime got kinda boring like you said, I was waiting for it to happen; but I still cried like a baby.

1 Like

I cried almost everyday for a whole month after I finished Little Busters Refrain.
and the same happened in Rewrite…

Terra made me cry the most
Moon also made me cry a lot.

in Lucia’s route the sunflower scene stabbed my heart
and in Akane’s route I cried a little bit when Kotarou killed people in the forest
and the last scene in Shizuru’s route, Also Kotori’s parents death from Kotori’s route and Sakuya’s farewell in Chihaya’s route

2 Likes

I don’t know why but I never actually physically cry at something fictional. I have the reaction inside me and sometimes I’m frowning but my body never actually creates tears, even though sometimes I want it to.

But actually the scene in the Clannad anime when Kotomi breaks down after hearing about the car accident, I don’t know why that made me so emotional because at that point you don’t even know what it’s about, but it did get me. I think it was just knowing that she had obviously lived through some kind of trauma and it would forever influence who she was and how she interacted with the world.

1 Like

To all the people saying they can’t cry. Many scenes in Key games make my vision blurry, but to actually drop a tear spontaneously is unusual in me. Sometimes I have to force them out in order to keep reading (haha).

In Kanon, Sayuri’s ` mini-route, the part when she blamed herself for her brother’s disease and when her mother was close to dying made me cry just 5 minutes into the game. That’s the fastest reaction time my lacrimal glands ever had (outside of allmighty Clannad of course).

I always blamed the Clannad anime for making me so emotional over anime. And to be honest I never really cried over an anime/manga/VN, even until now. However, I do have a good share of scenes by Key that brought me pretty close to tears, which I often call “rekt by feels.”

Kanon: It’s been a long while, so nothing that I can recall as of now.
Air: The anime didn’t do it to me, but in the VN, the scene where (Air route) crow Yukito was struggling to control his puppet to make the bedridden Misuzu happy. Not only did a lot of things about Air suddenly made sense to me because of this scene, I had so much feels from this.
Clannad: Disclaimer: anime-only. THE (After Story)FLOWER FIELD SCENE. I think everyone had feels over this though haha. Fuuko’s arc did it to me too, which got me to the anime in the first place. ;u;
Little Busters!: The (Refrain) parting of the boys struck me hard too hahahahuhu. Also, the (also Refrain)last dream segment. Granted, I ship KomaRin hard.
Rewrite: EVERYTIME CHIWA SAITO DOES IT. (Kotori route) Her crying voice just gets me everytime. Also the scene where Lucia (in her route) wilts all the sunflowers while in tears and Kotarou was in disbelief and Itsuwaranai Kimi e was even playing.
Planetarian: I didn’t in the KN, but with the way I feel about the anime now, I’m sure I’m bound to cry over the ending soon.

1 Like

Ah, the times I cried, that’s something I can tell.

So currently only for Clannad:
(Kotomi)Near the end of her route, when we hear about her backstory. Interestingly enough, the Teddybear-scene shortly after that did not move me to tears again.
(Fuko)I already felt sad as more and more people were forgetting about her, but where I started to cry was the moment when all students were congratulating Kouko and Yusuke.
(Mei)The second scene where the soccer club is making her feel miserable (The one where Sunohara finally shows up).
(After Story)Only Ushio’s death, actually. That one’s interesting, though. It was basically, as they started to go for the trip, it was snowing, so in my brain I made the connection to the Illusionary World scene, where the girl and the junk-doll don’t manage to make it to that other place, so I thought “They are not going to make it” and there, tears started flowing. Then it immediately transisions to the last Illusionary World scene and that just intensified my crying.

I guess I’ll post again after reading more works (Or edit this post, if I’m still the last post at that point, but I doubt that).

3 Likes

Looking back I reckon that I cried quite a bit with KEY… This is something that I like though. Anyway, this is my list.

CLANNAD (both anime and VN)

From Nagisa’s death to the end of After Story. I cried a lot in CLANNAD, and that’s partly why it became the best KEY work for me.

CLANNAD Side Stories
Koumura’s Side Story (Side Story 13) The final scene where he reads the postcards, looks back in time and realizes that he doesn’t have any regrets. This plus Tomoya’s and Sunohara’s postcard made me sheda tear.

Angel Beats! (anime)
Ending of chapters 10 and 13: When Yui disappears and when Kanade tells Otonashi that he is most likely his heart donor.

Angel Beats! 1st Beat (VN)
Iwasawa route: Iwasawa’s letter written on that paper ring Otonashi wore after getting married and when the NPC tries to cheer him up ditching class.
Yui route: Again, when she disappears.

Little Busters! (both VN and anime)
Refrain: When the original Little Busters disappear one by one while playing baseball.

Kanon (2002 anime)
Every time I saw Yuuichi’s chin. It was so frightening I cried.

With Rewrite, Planetarian, Tomoyo After and Kud Wafter, there’s still room for more crying, to which I always look forward. I’ll update this post once I get to read those.

4 Likes

Clannad: AfterStory

1. The scene on the train after meeting Mrs Okazaki: Tomoya tells Ushio about Nagisa, crying for the first time since her death five years prior; he discovers that he once again has something to live for, in Ushio.
  • The scene immediately following the conclusion of the Illusionary World subplot: Tomoya is reunited with Nagisa, who has some very poignant words to share with him:

Angel Beats! (TV):

1. The end of episode nine: Yuzuru realises that he accomplished his goal after all, and the his life really did mean something; he realises the true cathartic nature of the Afterlife Academy, and promises to help the other Battlefront members see it too. To do this, he enlists the help of Kanade, who now no longer has to live alone the way she has been for so long.
  • The ending: I’ll admit it. I’m a sucker for confession scenes, and endings too. But that’s not the part that got me. The part that got me was when Kanade revealed the truth about her own wish, and the real reason that Yuzuru had been sent to Afterlife Academy: She was the recipient of his heart by donation, and died wishing to thank the person who saved her life. The tears only stream faster when she starts begging Yuzuru to tell her he loves her again, even though he knows it’ll mean losing her. Then, she says one of the saddest lines ever written (pic related); he relents and tells her he loves her again; they hug; he cries and begs her not to go, but she does, and he’s left alone; Karuta sings one of the saddest songs ever written, and all the characters vanish from the screen, right after Kanade makes her first and only appearance in the closing titles. The sound of sobbing is only broken by the after-credits scene: Yuzuru, reincarnated, stands on the brink of being reunited with Kanade. Fade to white; “END”.
2 Likes

Damn, I almost teared up just reading your Angel Beats! ending part. Clannad, LB!, and AB! are the only Key series’ that have made me cry but Angel Beats is especially outstanding for managing to accomplish that in 13 episodes. Its last episode, specifically from Hinata disappearing onward is one of my favorite scenes from anime, or any media for that matter, ever.