Key Tears Confessional

Oddly enough, I’ve only ever broke down crying at one moment in any form of media, and that was (Rewrite) the ending of Shizuru’s route. I was a bit shocked by that, as I always seemed to get the closest to crying at things I could relate to, but obviously, I couldn’t relate to that at all. About 30 seconds to a minute of just sobbing in my hands.

I can get teary eyed somewhat easily (more times than I can count), but actually having a tear fall is quite a task. The closest I’ve ever gotten to crying without actually doing so was in Clannad After Story, when Tomoya remembers all of the things his father, Naoyuki, did for him. That hit me really, really hard, considering my situation with my late father at the time.

Aaah, Key. You guys do things to people. :komue:

EDIT: I uhh, just finished the Little Busters! visual novel. Despite the fact I saw the anime a while back, scratch that Clannad bit out and make this the closest I’ve come to crying without actually doing so. ;~;

2 Likes

I cried when they announced Little Busters is coming to Steam

True story

9 Likes

If I have to say what made me cry the most were:

Kanon: [Makoto route spoilers]The scene where Yuuichi tells her favorite story with Makoto sitting with him as her life force slowly drains her away.[Shiori route spoilers]Shiori had asked Yuuichi if it was alright for her to cry despite her weakening body that she only had months to live her life to the fullest.

AIR: [AIR route spoilers]It was the scene with Misuzu crying to Haruko as she runs up to her being her true mother and embracing her, as well as the death of Misuzu.This is when ‘Aozora’ was playing in the background and it made me cry a lot when listening to it for the first time during that scene.

CLANNAD: [After Story spoilers]Nagisa’s death, the flower field scene with Ushio, and the death of Ushio.

Little Busters!: [LB Refrain spoilers]The parting with the boys as leave one by one as Riki says goodbye to each of his childhood friends, Komari giving her one set of ribbons to Rin for the second time where Rin remembers the good times she spent with each LB members, and the bus accident scene where Riki and Rin needed to act decisively to save everyone.

Rewrite: [Kotori route]The death of Chibimoth, the scene where Kotori’s ‘familiar’ parents were left to defend Kotori and Kotarou as they retreated, and the last scene where Kotori was struggling to save Kotarou from dying.[Shizuru route]The dialogue as Shizuru writes in her diary where she lives within the city of stone as Kazamatsuri had already fallen and the hardships of the people as they were managing how to live their lives.[Moon route]The moment where Kotarou was able to recall his memories of each of the heroines and brought them back to the Moon like the old times they used to spent together as the Occult Research Club.[Terra route]Kotarou and Luis when risking their lives to save the children of Gaia as they were trying to escape from the summoners and Luis had to stay in order for them to escape, as well as Earth Kagari embracing Kotarou in sending him off as she reverts into a plant.

Planetarian: [VN spoilers]The projection with Yumemi narrating the starry sky as the Junker is taken into a world of wonder and amazement of how mankind had traverse among the stars despite global issues concerning the state of the Earth, as well as the death of Yumemi.

Angel Beats: [Episode 10 spoilers]Hinata confessing to Yui that he would want to marry her knowing the circumstances of her body already paralyzed from the waist down to the point he would spend the rest of his life with her.

EDIT (7/25/16): Angel Beats: [Episode 13 spoilers]The graduation scene, the last scene where Otonashi confessed to Kanade as ‘Ichiban no Takaramono’ (Original Ver.) was playing, and the scene when she disappeared in front of him as Otonashi cried.

4 Likes

Kanon:

Ayu : When she tells him to forget about her. So emotional, seriously. And then when you find out she’s alive.

Makoto: Her deterioration and the wedding scene.

Mai: Her whole backstory of her meeting Yuuichi and her mother

Shiori:When she admits she doesn’t want to die.

Sayuri: Her backstory of her and her brother.

AIR

Misuzu: When she remembers Haruko and then the final “goal” scene and Aozora playing. I had a mental breakdown. That song still sends tears to my eyes when I hear it.

Minagi: The part when she says goodbye to Michiru.

Clannad

SO many for this one the ends for all these guys:
Yukine, Kappei, Komura

Tomoyo: When you find out about her reasoning and then the end of her route getting back to Tomoya.

Fuuko: The scene at the wedding when her sister sees her.

Kotomi: The suitcase scene. I don’t care how impossible it is, it was amazing.

Afterstory: The flower scene when Ushio and Tomoya visit his grandparents and the “It’s okay to cry” part. Then the ending with “The Palm of a Tiny Hand”.

Planetarian: The ending scene

Little Busters:

Rin:The part where one of the cats dies from old age.

Refrain: When you find out Kyousuke’s intentions, and then when everyone says goodbye. Not to mention when A Song for Friends plays.

SayaThe end of her route when she shoots herself in the head and the reveal of her backstory.

Sasami: The backstory of Kuro

Rewrite:
Kotori: I teared up when Chibimoth dies and Kotori’s parents die

Nothing in Rewrite make me out right cry, but I think it is a different kind of game. I have yet to play Tomoyo After.

Angel Beats:

Iwasawa: Her reveal of her backstory.

Yui:When she explains her backstory and then Hinata says he will marry her. That whole bit, amazing.

Otonashi: His backstory of the organ donation and the subway scene.

3 Likes

So I completed Tomoyo After some time ago, and there were several moments I teared up.

First, at the climax of the Takafumi Arc, when Kanako said that she forgives Takafumi.

Second, in the Tomo Arc, when Tomoyo was saying farewell to Tomo.

Third, in the After Arc, from the moment where it’s revealed that Tomoya has been losing his memories for three years now until the end. That basically was a rollercoaster of feels.

Now the fourth one surprised me as much as it’ll surprise you: The ending of Dungeons & Takafumis, I kid you not.

1 Like

(Clannad After Story spoilers) Nagisa’s death and the Field of Flowers pushed me WAY over the edge…

(Little Busters Refrain spoilers) And just everything about the scene where Riki’s friends are bidding him farewell. Poor Kengo and Kyousuke…

1 Like

I finished another Key-novel, Planetarian this time.

I cried when Yumemi died and the true severity of her tragedy hit during her speech.

1 Like

cried twice in little busters (1st in the anime and 2nd in the vn) cried 4 times in clannad (twice in tomoyo after, twice in the anime), once in angel beats, cried 3 times in rewrite (chihaya, shizuru and lucia’s route). All i can say is i hate key but dammit they make such good feel trains

I’ve cried a lot of times with key
VN:
Little busters: I’ve cried a lot of times here, more or less one time per route (yes, I cry very easy I think)
but one time is the time I’ve cried more in my entire life, It even gave me headache lol, that was in refrain

In the episode little busters, when masato faded. I started even before faraway started.

I hope I don’t cry more than I did that day

Planetarian: Only one time, but the feels were intense When yumemi is destroyed and was speaking with the MC

Rewrite:
Kotori route near the ending, when she broke and started crying
Chihaya route When Gil and Pani died and scattered flower scene before the ending

Terra route: Two times here, one when Esaka dies, and the other in the ending, when Canoe starts

although Rewrite made me cry. Rewrite is very special for me for the opposite reason, it is the VN that made me laugh more when I wasn’t having a very good moment in my life.

I think I love key for that too, they make you cry a lot yes, but they know how to make you cry for excesive laugh too.

3 Likes

I hope it’s okay to post in this old thread, as I really need to get some stuff off my chest regarding Tomoyo After. So, here goes and also, this will be pretty much a heavy spoiler post.

I pretty much cried when Tomoyo revealed to Tomoya that it was 3 years since he collapsed and lost his memories. Afterwards, they kept repeating the 10 days, in the hopes of him regaining his memories. This really tore into my heart, because I could really feel the love that Tomoyo has for Tomoya, and she was questioning whether a “eternal love” exists at all, and is a common talking point throughout. I felt she was really demonstrating this theme, and the fact Tomoya expressed that he loves her shows that something is there. I cried because it felt like what she has been doing for 3 years was worth it. However, when she revealed that his memories could be regained by undertaking a risky operation, I felt I knew that Tomoya was going to die, which, dependent on how you view the ending, appears to be the case. I felt that … when Tomoya either passed away, or they were reunited in the afterlife, the time of this when Tomoyo was narrating the difficulties of this part of her life, really killed me inside. As someone currently struggling in life, I felt what she was saying really resonated in me, that despite all the difficulties we face in life, despite the fact life isn’t fair and we can give up, we shouldn’t. It’s because of the difficulties of life that makes the good we experience that much more beautiful, which is sort of what she wrote at the end of the game, where she says “Life is wonderful!”. I … can’t even listen to the music of the game as it’s resonated with me so much, the message of the game also being that we do have the strength to move on from these difficulties, to try to find our meaning in life.

So for the not spoiler bits, I guess I’ve been experiencing post “Key VNs” depression, as Tomoyo After has really made me start questioning my life a lot. I hope there are some people who are able to read my post, given it’s sort of spoiler heavy, as I’m interested to know what are your thoughts about Key VNs and just “getting over” these post-VN depressive feelings? I keep thinking about the game constantly, given it was beautifully written and just resonated with me completely.

3 Likes

Man that’s definitely one of the most emotional scenes of all of Key games, and I feel Tomoyo After gets looked over despite having one of those scenes. Ironically, I didn’t cry at the part you mentioned, but it hit me only when we read Tomoyo’s story at the end, and “Life is Like a Melody” started playing. It’s always the catharsis of the scene that gets me, and not the actual “sad” moments.