• Michiru’s goodbye to Minagi

• Misuzu calling Haruko “Mama” after she regains her memory
  • The “Goal!” scene

Clannad (anime):

• Sanae crying because she can’t see Fuuko anymore
  • Kouko and Yuusuke’s wedding

• The teddy bear scene
  • Shima’s goodbye to Misae

• Basically every scene with Tomoya and Ushio, especially when she cries in his arms and when he tells her about how he met Nagisa
  • Sanae finally crying for Nagisa after five years
  • Ushio’s death (quite possibly THE most painful scene in any Key work ever)

• Tomoya and Nagisa reuniting, especially when she tells him she’s glad they were able to meet

• The ending, when Chiisana Te no Hira plays

Planetarian:

• Yumemi remembering all her friends at the planetarium before they died
  • Yumemi’s death

Little Busters! (original VN):

• The night before Takuya dies and he’s talking to Komari for the last time

• Haruka and Kanata finally acting like loving sisters again
  • Kurugaya’s disappearance

• Miles’s death

• That One Scene in Refrain (you all know which one I’m talking about)
  • Rin saying goodbye to all the girls

• “It’s not enough.”

Angel Beats!

• The montage of what could have happened if Hinata met Yui while they were alive

• Yuzuru and Kanade telling each other they love each other

Rewrite:

• Chibimoth’s death

• Shizuru’s diary

Charlotte

• Honestly just the very end of the last episode; nothing else made me cry

At least, those are all the parts I distinctly remember crying at. There are probably waaaay more that I’m forgetting.

1 Like

I watch the Air anime almost every summer and cry my eyes out at the end every time.

The whole last arc is heart wrenching for me, but watching Misuzu struggle towards Haruko and just say “Goal da” when she reaches her turns me into crying mess. And I love it.

I also always cry when I watch Makoto’s arc in Kanon, and I don’t really even like her the rest of the series.

1 Like

Hoo boy, have you read the VN? Because the impact in the VN is like 3x more tearjerking ;_;

I haven’t yet. At this point I am kind of hoping that Sekai Project licenses it (though I would order it from them even if bought the Japanese version) I have it on the PS2 but find reading VNs in Japanese too laborious - I’ve only finished Nanatsuiro Drops and Strawberry Panic in Japanese and when I started Air didn’t feel up to the difficulty spike- and didn’t realize you could get 18+ version of air from Amazon Japan until recently which is the only version with a patch.

Well this is kind of the opposite, but I didn’t cry in after story, not that I didn’t find it sad. when Nagisa died I was shocked of course, but not upset, and when Ushio died I found it really predictable and not sad at all. weirdly enough I found After story, which is considered the best season of clannad, boring for most part, except for when Tomoya was still at school. (spoiler of what the plot of After Story is mainly about) Him growing up with Nagisa, marrying her, getting her pregnant and getting the job, along with him going depressive and etc. was really plain and boring to me. I enjoyed the backstory of his father and Yusuke Yoshino but other than that… That being said, I nearly cried when (Kotomi Spoiler) Kotomi cried out to her parents, shit that, and her innocence and how you can’t help but love her character, it gets to you ahaha but I didn’t cry. Same deal with how (little busters spoiler) Mio disappearing, shit that sense of lose of identity and then Riki ‘fighting’ for her, and even him crying . I seem to have a habit of getting attached to, well, they’re not supporting characters, but they’re not main characters either.

Another confession is I didn’t cry (angel beats - the anime though, not the vn or manga - spoiler) when Kanade disappeared. infact I was pretty pissed off by how she didn’t confess her love back (I watched dubbed, idk about sub), she just thanked Otonashi as if the whole thing was just a way of her showing her appreciation. that being said, I went a bit off topic and if you want to argue about that, go ahead and message me or quote this into a new thread (or already existing).

Because of how sad these scenes are, and how I never cried, I kinda feel as if I have a cold heart or my eye ducts just don’t work (please don’t take me serious when I say I have a cold heart ahaha) because it’s not just these anime, but so many more, and books, and westerns films, even vocaloids and songs.

Here you can find how to install a patch for any of the versions (^^)b Thank @Takafumi~

3 Likes

For me, Nagisa’s death was really really predictable; and because the anime got kinda boring like you said, I was waiting for it to happen; but I still cried like a baby.

1 Like

I cried almost everyday for a whole month after I finished Little Busters Refrain.
and the same happened in Rewrite…

Terra made me cry the most
Moon also made me cry a lot.

in Lucia’s route the sunflower scene stabbed my heart
and in Akane’s route I cried a little bit when Kotarou killed people in the forest
and the last scene in Shizuru’s route, Also Kotori’s parents death from Kotori’s route and Sakuya’s farewell in Chihaya’s route

2 Likes

I don’t know why but I never actually physically cry at something fictional. I have the reaction inside me and sometimes I’m frowning but my body never actually creates tears, even though sometimes I want it to.

But actually the scene in the Clannad anime when Kotomi breaks down after hearing about the car accident, I don’t know why that made me so emotional because at that point you don’t even know what it’s about, but it did get me. I think it was just knowing that she had obviously lived through some kind of trauma and it would forever influence who she was and how she interacted with the world.

1 Like

To all the people saying they can’t cry. Many scenes in Key games make my vision blurry, but to actually drop a tear spontaneously is unusual in me. Sometimes I have to force them out in order to keep reading (haha).

In Kanon, Sayuri’s ` mini-route, the part when she blamed herself for her brother’s disease and when her mother was close to dying made me cry just 5 minutes into the game. That’s the fastest reaction time my lacrimal glands ever had (outside of allmighty Clannad of course).

I always blamed the Clannad anime for making me so emotional over anime. And to be honest I never really cried over an anime/manga/VN, even until now. However, I do have a good share of scenes by Key that brought me pretty close to tears, which I often call “rekt by feels.”

Kanon: It’s been a long while, so nothing that I can recall as of now.
Air: The anime didn’t do it to me, but in the VN, the scene where (Air route) crow Yukito was struggling to control his puppet to make the bedridden Misuzu happy. Not only did a lot of things about Air suddenly made sense to me because of this scene, I had so much feels from this.
Clannad: Disclaimer: anime-only. THE (After Story)FLOWER FIELD SCENE. I think everyone had feels over this though haha. Fuuko’s arc did it to me too, which got me to the anime in the first place. ;u;
Little Busters!: The (Refrain) parting of the boys struck me hard too hahahahuhu. Also, the (also Refrain)last dream segment. Granted, I ship KomaRin hard.
Rewrite: EVERYTIME CHIWA SAITO DOES IT. (Kotori route) Her crying voice just gets me everytime. Also the scene where Lucia (in her route) wilts all the sunflowers while in tears and Kotarou was in disbelief and Itsuwaranai Kimi e was even playing.
Planetarian: I didn’t in the KN, but with the way I feel about the anime now, I’m sure I’m bound to cry over the ending soon.

1 Like

Ah, the times I cried, that’s something I can tell.

So currently only for Clannad:
(Kotomi)Near the end of her route, when we hear about her backstory. Interestingly enough, the Teddybear-scene shortly after that did not move me to tears again.
(Fuko)I already felt sad as more and more people were forgetting about her, but where I started to cry was the moment when all students were congratulating Kouko and Yusuke.
(Mei)The second scene where the soccer club is making her feel miserable (The one where Sunohara finally shows up).
(After Story)Only Ushio’s death, actually. That one’s interesting, though. It was basically, as they started to go for the trip, it was snowing, so in my brain I made the connection to the Illusionary World scene, where the girl and the junk-doll don’t manage to make it to that other place, so I thought “They are not going to make it” and there, tears started flowing. Then it immediately transisions to the last Illusionary World scene and that just intensified my crying.

I guess I’ll post again after reading more works (Or edit this post, if I’m still the last post at that point, but I doubt that).

3 Likes

Looking back I reckon that I cried quite a bit with KEY… This is something that I like though. Anyway, this is my list.

CLANNAD (both anime and VN)

From Nagisa’s death to the end of After Story. I cried a lot in CLANNAD, and that’s partly why it became the best KEY work for me.

CLANNAD Side Stories
Koumura’s Side Story (Side Story 13) The final scene where he reads the postcards, looks back in time and realizes that he doesn’t have any regrets. This plus Tomoya’s and Sunohara’s postcard made me sheda tear.

Angel Beats! (anime)
Ending of chapters 10 and 13: When Yui disappears and when Kanade tells Otonashi that he is most likely his heart donor.

Angel Beats! 1st Beat (VN)
Iwasawa route: Iwasawa’s letter written on that paper ring Otonashi wore after getting married and when the NPC tries to cheer him up ditching class.
Yui route: Again, when she disappears.

Little Busters! (both VN and anime)
Refrain: When the original Little Busters disappear one by one while playing baseball.

Kanon (2002 anime)
Every time I saw Yuuichi’s chin. It was so frightening I cried.

With Rewrite, Planetarian, Tomoyo After and Kud Wafter, there’s still room for more crying, to which I always look forward. I’ll update this post once I get to read those.

4 Likes

Clannad: AfterStory

1. The scene on the train after meeting Mrs Okazaki: Tomoya tells Ushio about Nagisa, crying for the first time since her death five years prior; he discovers that he once again has something to live for, in Ushio.
  • The scene immediately following the conclusion of the Illusionary World subplot: Tomoya is reunited with Nagisa, who has some very poignant words to share with him:

Angel Beats! (TV):

1. The end of episode nine: Yuzuru realises that he accomplished his goal after all, and the his life really did mean something; he realises the true cathartic nature of the Afterlife Academy, and promises to help the other Battlefront members see it too. To do this, he enlists the help of Kanade, who now no longer has to live alone the way she has been for so long.
  • The ending: I’ll admit it. I’m a sucker for confession scenes, and endings too. But that’s not the part that got me. The part that got me was when Kanade revealed the truth about her own wish, and the real reason that Yuzuru had been sent to Afterlife Academy: She was the recipient of his heart by donation, and died wishing to thank the person who saved her life. The tears only stream faster when she starts begging Yuzuru to tell her he loves her again, even though he knows it’ll mean losing her. Then, she says one of the saddest lines ever written (pic related); he relents and tells her he loves her again; they hug; he cries and begs her not to go, but she does, and he’s left alone; Karuta sings one of the saddest songs ever written, and all the characters vanish from the screen, right after Kanade makes her first and only appearance in the closing titles. The sound of sobbing is only broken by the after-credits scene: Yuzuru, reincarnated, stands on the brink of being reunited with Kanade. Fade to white; “END”.
2 Likes

Damn, I almost teared up just reading your Angel Beats! ending part. Clannad, LB!, and AB! are the only Key series’ that have made me cry but Angel Beats is especially outstanding for managing to accomplish that in 13 episodes. Its last episode, specifically from Hinata disappearing onward is one of my favorite scenes from anime, or any media for that matter, ever.

Oddly enough, I’ve only ever broke down crying at one moment in any form of media, and that was (Rewrite) the ending of Shizuru’s route. I was a bit shocked by that, as I always seemed to get the closest to crying at things I could relate to, but obviously, I couldn’t relate to that at all. About 30 seconds to a minute of just sobbing in my hands.

I can get teary eyed somewhat easily (more times than I can count), but actually having a tear fall is quite a task. The closest I’ve ever gotten to crying without actually doing so was in Clannad After Story, when Tomoya remembers all of the things his father, Naoyuki, did for him. That hit me really, really hard, considering my situation with my late father at the time.

Aaah, Key. You guys do things to people. :komue:

EDIT: I uhh, just finished the Little Busters! visual novel. Despite the fact I saw the anime a while back, scratch that Clannad bit out and make this the closest I’ve come to crying without actually doing so. ;~;

2 Likes

I cried when they announced Little Busters is coming to Steam

True story

9 Likes

If I have to say what made me cry the most were:

Kanon: [Makoto route spoilers]The scene where Yuuichi tells her favorite story with Makoto sitting with him as her life force slowly drains her away.[Shiori route spoilers]Shiori had asked Yuuichi if it was alright for her to cry despite her weakening body that she only had months to live her life to the fullest.

AIR: [AIR route spoilers]It was the scene with Misuzu crying to Haruko as she runs up to her being her true mother and embracing her, as well as the death of Misuzu.This is when ‘Aozora’ was playing in the background and it made me cry a lot when listening to it for the first time during that scene.

CLANNAD: [After Story spoilers]Nagisa’s death, the flower field scene with Ushio, and the death of Ushio.

Little Busters!: [LB Refrain spoilers]The parting with the boys as leave one by one as Riki says goodbye to each of his childhood friends, Komari giving her one set of ribbons to Rin for the second time where Rin remembers the good times she spent with each LB members, and the bus accident scene where Riki and Rin needed to act decisively to save everyone.

Rewrite: [Kotori route]The death of Chibimoth, the scene where Kotori’s ‘familiar’ parents were left to defend Kotori and Kotarou as they retreated, and the last scene where Kotori was struggling to save Kotarou from dying.[Shizuru route]The dialogue as Shizuru writes in her diary where she lives within the city of stone as Kazamatsuri had already fallen and the hardships of the people as they were managing how to live their lives.[Moon route]The moment where Kotarou was able to recall his memories of each of the heroines and brought them back to the Moon like the old times they used to spent together as the Occult Research Club.[Terra route]Kotarou and Luis when risking their lives to save the children of Gaia as they were trying to escape from the summoners and Luis had to stay in order for them to escape, as well as Earth Kagari embracing Kotarou in sending him off as she reverts into a plant.

Planetarian: [VN spoilers]The projection with Yumemi narrating the starry sky as the Junker is taken into a world of wonder and amazement of how mankind had traverse among the stars despite global issues concerning the state of the Earth, as well as the death of Yumemi.

Angel Beats: [Episode 10 spoilers]Hinata confessing to Yui that he would want to marry her knowing the circumstances of her body already paralyzed from the waist down to the point he would spend the rest of his life with her.

EDIT (7/25/16): Angel Beats: [Episode 13 spoilers]The graduation scene, the last scene where Otonashi confessed to Kanade as ‘Ichiban no Takaramono’ (Original Ver.) was playing, and the scene when she disappeared in front of him as Otonashi cried.

4 Likes

Kanon:

Ayu : When she tells him to forget about her. So emotional, seriously. And then when you find out she’s alive.

Makoto: Her deterioration and the wedding scene.

Mai: Her whole backstory of her meeting Yuuichi and her mother

Shiori:When she admits she doesn’t want to die.

Sayuri: Her backstory of her and her brother.

AIR

Misuzu: When she remembers Haruko and then the final “goal” scene and Aozora playing. I had a mental breakdown. That song still sends tears to my eyes when I hear it.

Minagi: The part when she says goodbye to Michiru.

Clannad

SO many for this one the ends for all these guys:
Yukine, Kappei, Komura

Tomoyo: When you find out about her reasoning and then the end of her route getting back to Tomoya.

Fuuko: The scene at the wedding when her sister sees her.

Kotomi: The suitcase scene. I don’t care how impossible it is, it was amazing.

Afterstory: The flower scene when Ushio and Tomoya visit his grandparents and the “It’s okay to cry” part. Then the ending with “The Palm of a Tiny Hand”.

Planetarian: The ending scene

Little Busters:

Rin:The part where one of the cats dies from old age.

Refrain: When you find out Kyousuke’s intentions, and then when everyone says goodbye. Not to mention when A Song for Friends plays.

SayaThe end of her route when she shoots herself in the head and the reveal of her backstory.

Sasami: The backstory of Kuro

Rewrite:
Kotori: I teared up when Chibimoth dies and Kotori’s parents die

Nothing in Rewrite make me out right cry, but I think it is a different kind of game. I have yet to play Tomoyo After.

Angel Beats:

Iwasawa: Her reveal of her backstory.

Yui:When she explains her backstory and then Hinata says he will marry her. That whole bit, amazing.

Otonashi: His backstory of the organ donation and the subway scene.

3 Likes

So I completed Tomoyo After some time ago, and there were several moments I teared up.

First, at the climax of the Takafumi Arc, when Kanako said that she forgives Takafumi.

Second, in the Tomo Arc, when Tomoyo was saying farewell to Tomo.

Third, in the After Arc, from the moment where it’s revealed that Tomoya has been losing his memories for three years now until the end. That basically was a rollercoaster of feels.

Now the fourth one surprised me as much as it’ll surprise you: The ending of Dungeons & Takafumis, I kid you not.

1 Like