Key Sounds Label - Music Discussion

Hahahaha, that’s pretty hilarious, and explains a lot.

And I STILL can’t find accurate lyrics to it >_< I need to ad-lib this the next time I go karaoke!

Quick question: Is Planetarian’s soundtrack any good? How is it compared to other Key soundtracks?

My favorite from planetarian is Gentle Jena, and I think it’s planetarian signature theme

So if you’re asking if it’s good or not… It’s good.

1 Like

There are a lot less tracks than the other VN osts, but all of them are decent.
I remember liking them when I first read it, but I just find them boring now. Very slow, repetitive, relaxed. That and the rain noises really take all of the energy out of you.

[quote=“Hirato, post:124, topic:81, full:true”]
My favorite from planetarian is Gentle Jena, and I think it’s planetarian signature theme

So if you’re asking if it’s good or not… It’s good.
[/quote]It’s quite a somber theme. If this is the best the soundtrack has to offer, though… =/

[quote=“Takafumi, post:125, topic:81”]
There are a lot less tracks than the other VN osts, but all of them are decent.
[/quote]I kind of guessed that considering how short it is.

But what I want to know is how it compares to other Key soundtracks, specifically Kud Wafter and Tomoyo After. How does it fare compared to those two? I’m asking because I’m comparing prices online to see which ones to grab when I have money.

Its not the best of Key’s music, but planetarian’s soundtrack fits its setting and story extremely well. The album has 12 tracks, but its really just six tracks that have different variations. Gentle Jena is indeed probably my favorite as well (though I prefer the Extended Version), and Biz will tell you that Hoshi Meguri no Uta ~Winter’s Tale~ is the best.

[quote=“EisenKoubu, post:126, topic:81”]
It’s quite a somber theme. If this is the best the soundtrack has to offer, though…
[/quote]Actually read the VN before you make that kind of judgement~

[quote=“EisenKoubu, post:126, topic:81”]
I’m asking because I’m comparing prices online to see which ones to grab when I have money.
[/quote]Which soundtrack, or which VN?

[quote=“yerian98, post:127, topic:81”]
Which soundtrack, or which VN?
[/quote]I’m comparing Kud Wafter’s soundtrack, Tomoyo After’s soundtrack, and Planetarian’s soundtrack. All three of them are the exact same price at the site I’m looking at, so I want to know which one might be better than the other.

That one is glorious. You can appreciate it even if you haven’t read TA, as long as you’ve read CLANNAD.

I’d recommend looking up a few tracks from each though. KudWaf is a bit too bouncy for me, so I dislike most of the tracks. planetarian is nice, but it’s very slow, so I don’t listen to it much. TA is a nice mix of the two, with some powerful CLANNAD-esque tracks too.

1 Like

Eh, personally I don’t buy soundtracks until I’ve read (or at least started to read) a VN. But:

I’ve never heard anyone talk about the Kud Wafter soundtrack.
planetarian’s is as I said, and thus (judging by your reaction to Gentle Jena) you may not grow to like it until you’ve read it
I haven’t heard all of Tomoyo After’s OST, but I can guarantee there are some very good ones on there.

None of those though, I would say, are Key’s best work

My pick from all three is Tomoyo After. But I’d rather buy something else than those three, personally.

I am not a big fan of Planetarian’s OST
I like more of the acoustic instruments and pianos and orchestras and the Planetarian OST doesn’t really have those
But the worst OST by far is Tomoyo After’s (but this is an unpopular opinion because I know a lot of people really love that one)

I’m pretty biased with Tomoyo After if only for the OP and ED :stuck_out_tongue:

Thing is, with planetarian, all tracks are good but there just aren’t that many of them. The others, kinda hard to decide, I guess.

[quote=“yerian98, post:130, topic:81”]
None of those though, I would say, are Key’s best work
[/quote]Well, of course. I’m not necessarily looking for Key’s best work. I don’t have the funds for that kind of stuff. I’m just looking for cheap soundtracks I might be able to enjoy. I might even consider Angel Beats!'s soundtrack as well, since it’s a decent price on Amazon.

judging by your reaction to Gentle Jena
[/quote]Perhaps I need to make myself a little more clear: I liked the song. It’s just that I can’t associate it with anything, which doesn’t allow me to enjoy it as much as I should. So you’re probably right in that I need to read the VN in order to appreciate it more.

I’ve never heard anyone talk about the Kud Wafter soundtrack.
[/quote]I’ve already heard the entirety of the soundtrack (minus Hoshizora) and I found it to be quite enjoyable, although, again, I have nothing to associate it with. It’s making me very excited to play the VN, though.

[quote=“Takafumi, post:129, topic:81”]
That one is glorious. You can appreciate it even if you haven’t read TA, as long as you’ve read CLANNAD.
[/quote] Did I mention I’m listening to Dear Old Home right now? :wink:

I give Tomoyo After that definitely
I had loved the ending theme long befoer I even knew it was in Tomoyo After
So I fangirled ahrd when I finished the game and that started playing

1 Like

The ED song is pretty powerful.
Title screen music too. So gooood.

The Angel Beats! OST currently has about 7 amazing tracks on it IMO: Theme of SSS (and its two variations: Unjust Life and Otonashi), Memory, Let’s Operation, Kanade, and Angel’s Flight. Plus its OP and EDs: My Soul, Your Beats, Ichiban no Takaramono, and Brave Song.

Unfortunately the other 37 of them are just kinda bleh.

I’d almost tell you to buy the whole thing just for those 10 songs because they’re some of my favorites. But since the VN will be released soon, which means an new soundtrack will be released, I might wait for that.

1 Like

I appreciate all of you guys’ input. I’ll go cross off some things off my wish list now. :3

I totally agree with you on this!
There are a handful of songs that I consider some of Key’s finest OST work
But then the majority of the OST is just kinda - there
Don’t ever want to listen to it outside of the show and even during the show I’m just waiting for the next amazing track to pop up

1 Like

Title screen is absolute beauty. It’s like, Maeda Jun telling us directly about Tomoyo’s very feelings in TA’s plot.

Actually, the title screen of KEY’s VNs are always great to listen to. I love Clannad’s Ushio’s song, been trying to play it on my guitar lol; LB’s title screen soundtrack is also beautiful, I don’t mind spending my time on the title screen just to listen to the music; Kanon’s and Rewrite’s are also good~

Of course, AIR and AB’s OP are great too. Their counts in my iTunes have reached over 100 since few months ago. wwwwww

Funny thing is, I listen to KSL more than I do to recent popular songs. It makes me left out of the trend a bit, but that’s okay because I just love KSL too much.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
OOT = smiley doesn’t appear :v

1 Like