Key Sounds Label - Music Discussion

Which is your all time favourite Key song?

I’ve thought about this for years now and I think I’ve finally settled on mine. I’m sure this is a really hard question for some, so if you really can’t choose, just post the ones you really love!

So for me, after a lot of thought, unusually or not I have to go with Unused Music 1 from the Air OST:

It had previously always been too close to call between Natsukage, Kaisouroku, Unused Music 1 and Unused Music 6 but recently it struck me that I really did enjoy Unused Music 1 most (gosh that’s a really unromantic title…). I’m not sure whether it’s due to over-listening to the other three but honestly I think it comes down to the fact that no other song in existence can just instantly make me as happy as Unused Music 1 can. I think it’s also just the perfect example of Key-style extended synths with that signature dreamy quality that I always melt to, another of which comes to mind is Snowfield from the Clannad OST. While Snowfield is definitely high up on my list of favourite Key tracks, I love Unused Music 1 both for it’s hopeful, upbeat vibe as well as it’s infectious melody and gorgeous harmony with both the slow, punctuated, almost xylophone-like synth and the regular backbeat that almost mimics a walking pace.

Many of you probably saw my post about my visit to Kasumi in April, after reading the visual novel while staying there, I basically made a playlist of what I considered the quintessential ‘walking around town’ themes from Air (for - you guessed it - walking around town) and even created loops out of them. I noticed that no matter how many times it looped I would always be sad when I heard the fade at the end of the loop for Unused Music 1.

So, I guess that’s why it’s my favourite, I’d love to hear everyone else’s and of course if you can post why that would be great too!

2 Likes

I think I like almost every KEY (KSL) songs, but the ones that I listen the most are the main titles of the VNs. And then the favorite of mine are Rewrite’s ‘Journey’ and Tomoyo After’s ‘Hope’, and Clannad’s ‘Ushio’.

If it’s not a main title song, then I think my fav would be LB’s Boys Don’t Cry.

By far my favorite key song would have to be Natsukage, I’ve been listening to it on an almost daily basis for over 4 years now, and it’s what made be get back to playing the piano after s long hiatus. It’s so simple but the melody is absolutely perfect, and the transition to the bridge is incredible, especially in the refeel version. And the pipes in the original during the second verse along with the sparse use of percussion are also just absolutely perfect, the song really sets the theme for the show but it also absolutely fantastic on its own!

3 Likes

Favorite Key VN related BGM?

It will go by particular VNs before choosing the all-time favorite

Kanon: Fuyu no Hanabi. So nostalgic <3
Air: Sousei, Futari, Getsudou (when Kanna flies into her demise )… so many to choose ;v;
CLANNAD: Town, People, Flow of Time; that summery BGM that plays somewhere during parts of After Story,
planetarian: Robot & Rain
Tomoyo After: Hope, Dear Old Home
Little Busters!: Thin Chronicle, Day Game, that Kurugaya piano BGM
Rewrite: Exploration and Shinsou Shinrin for now, but it can change as I go deeper into the plot

1 Like

Sha La La Ecstasy, of course.

In all seriousness, it’s probably between Yume no Atochi and Yukinohara. And on the other side of the spectrum, I have a massive love for Eruptible, which is definitely my favorite action track.

2 Likes

Considering that Nagisa came first…

I’ve always been curious if the anime songs that didn’t have a direct BGM counterpart (TORCH, Kimi to no Nakushimono, Mezameta Asa ni wa Kimi ga Tonari ni) took any cues from other songs.

Actually comes directly from the Little Busters! OST, “Mezameta Asa ni” or “Waking Up in the Morning”

1 Like

Yeah I think they’re getting it confused with “Kimi to no Nakushi Mono”.

Hello friends,

…Following the topic of Key self-references, but focused on the music side of it, let me share this:

Minutes ago I was enjoying “Kaisōroku” (回想録 Reminiscence), it’s the AIR anime piano melody that was used in the intro of the series. – Anyway, while I was listening I suddenly felt that the notes were like a reminiscence of Planetarian’s Gentle Jena, the VN. So, I got curious about its composer… and for my surprise (since I was expecting Maeda or Orito in the credits) the composer was Magome Togoshi. I didn’t knew he contributed to AIR!

A few weeks ago I was playing the OST from Planetarian quite a bit, because I really like it. And now I’m glad to see that he collaborated for the AIR anime OST.

No, I’m not implying a link between those two stories, since I can’t really see a serious bridge between. It’s just a curiosity. What I find interesting, like someone stated in the self-references thread, is that every composer has their very own music style.

He is a good composer in my opinion, heart touching. Complements very well to the excellent music by Jun Maeda and S.Orito among others. Don’t you think?

Very interesting, thanks for sharing the info Pepe. I didn’t knew. I’ll start to pay more attention to the lyrics.

P.S.: Thanks @Yerian for taking the time of moving this here if you feel it helps to keep things more granular. There are times when the main topic isn’t clear and a decision should be made.

I can’t stop listening to “Fallin’” (ZHIEND). The feeling is the same as Nao described it, and I love how it feels… It’s my favorite track from Charlotte OST up to now; hope there will be more great songs like that.

3 Likes

Ooookay I’m definitely a total idiot with that one. Knew the two songs had very similar titles but the chorus to the ED is probably the least memorable part of it to me so I couldn’t make the link until directly listening side by side.

And this is coming from the guy who only realized Boys Be Smile is Boys Don’t Cry a few months ago, so don’t be too surprised.

i love all ost ALL THE MUSIC BELONG TO ME!!!

1 Like

I’m definitely feelin’ (hehe) Clouded Sky more so far. Don’t get me wrong, Fallin is amazing, but Clouded Sky is the shit! I can’t wait for the full albums. Hikarisyuyo in his prime.

Oh, I forgot about it. Yeah, it’s definitely the best. Better than Fallin’. I also like “Scar on Face” and that Yusa ED…

Key music is what I live for. I would be satisfied if the only music that existed was Key music.

I suppose I’ll just list my favorite songs from each Key work, including a song with vocals and a song without vocals.
Kanon- Last Regrets, Shoujo no Ori (so cliche >.<)
Air- Tori no Uta, Natsukage (also really cliche)
Clannad- Chiisana Te ni Mo, Onaji Takami e
Angel Beats!- Ichiban no Takaramono (Yui version), Unjust Life/Otonashi/Theme of SSS
Little Busters!- I don’t really know the names of songs… I really like Song for Friends, and Mezameta Asa ni
Planetarian- Hoshi no Sekai

I tend to not like remixes as much as I like the original versions.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention Charlotte. I haven’t really been paying attention to the music for this yet, but I do love the opening.

2 Likes

what do you mean by that? I know natsukage is popular but I think it certainly has the right to be, it’s not cliche it’s amazing! :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess I just meant that it seems like everyone loves Tori no Uta and Natsukage. Which is good. So, yes, it does have the right to be popular. While many Key songs have an emotion-inducing quality to them, Natsukage feels a bit different than the rest to me. Like, it really captures the melancholy and hope and beauty of life while still being super catchy.

1 Like

It would be a sad world if only Key music existed, as good as it is. I’d miss my Sakuraba rehashes. ;;

Togoshi composed quite a few notable tracks, including Niji (Best girl’s theme) and (Summer spoilers, for whatever reason) Semigoromo (the forest BGM for Summer). I like his work in the games he’s composed for. Such a shame he left after Little Busters. :frowning:

Vocal:
Kanon: Kaze no Tadori Tsuku Basho
AIR: Tori no Uta
CLANNAD: Chiisana Tenohira
Tomoyo After: Light Colors
Little Busters: Faraway (Haruka Kanata)
Kud Wafter: Hoshimori Uta
Angel Beats: Heartily Song
Rewrite: RIRAITO ZA LAIFU~ XD

BGM:
Kanon: Afterglow
AIR: Giniro
CLANNAD: The Place Where Wishes Come True II
planetarian: Gentle Jena
Tomoyo After: Old Summer Days
Little Busters: Little Melody (T_T)
Kud Wafter: Sunday Morning Dance
Angel Beats: Memory
Rewrite: Scene Shifts There

Vocal: (from best to least good)

1- CLANNAD: The palm of a tiny hand
2- Angel Beats!: Ichiban no Takaramono
3- Little Busters: Song for Friends
4- Rewrite: Love Letter
5- Charlotte: Fallin’ (even though I’m on line between this and Clouded Sky)
6- AIR: Aozora
7- Kanon: Last Regrets

BGM:

Rewrite: Scattered Flowers
Little Busters: Little Melody

Yeah, it probably would be sad for everyone but me ^^"

Even though I know practically nothing about Rewrite, I do know that "riraito za laifu’ song, and I love it. I like it more than Philosophyz. But my favorite song I’ve heard from Rewrite is Beyond the Darkness.

1 Like