Kaza Movie Night!

Welcome to Kazamatsuri Movie Night! I’m your host, @Yerian!

Here’s how this thing goes down: You all recommend movies for us to watch in this topic right here. It does not have to be an anime movie. Please bold your recommendations so I can be sure to see them! Adding a short summary or blurb about it would be cool too, and hey, maybe even throw in a picture to spice it up!

Also, please limit your suggestions to standalone movies that do not require any previous knowledge from other shows, etc. We want as many people as possible to be able to participate!

Then, every two weeks, I take five movies (in the order they were recommended, and one per person per session) and we all vote on what movie we will watch. Voting will last until the end of the week (Friday), then we close the polls and announce a winner.

Everyone will have a week to acquire a copy of the movie. Then, at the end of that week, on Saturday night (or Sunday morning for some of us, stupid timezones) we all jump in a Kaza Discord Voice Channel and watch that bit-, I mean, puppy together. Bring popcorn, but make sure to bring enough to share with the rest of us!

And in case you somehow missed it, here’s the link to the poll.
Link to the poll.

Curious as to what’s already been recommended, what we’ve already watched, etc., but don’t want to dig through the whole thread? Well luckily for you we’ve got this nifty spreadsheet thats got all that and more! Feel free to take a gander at it.
Spreadsheet for recommendations.

In case you’ve missed it somehow Kaza Discord Server is the community’s text and voice chat. If you’re not already on it, you can follow the instructions here so we can add you. You can also download the desktop client here. You may need to adjust each person’s sensitivity, but that can be done simply by clicking on their name.

In the past we’ve considered watching whole series as well. For now I think we’re just gonna stick to movies, but if anyone wants to bring that back to the table I’d be happy to think about it again.

Please feel free to give me your thoughts at any time, I’m always open to suggestions.

13 Likes

Put in my vote! I liked @EisenKoubu’s previous suggestion of having some Ghibli flicks as one of the choices, since it gives me an excuse to watch them, but I’m okay with the other options as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interestingly, I’ve seen all these movies before as movie nights in a different online community I frequent. I will just comment that Nerawareta Garden is possibly the most memorable one of all the movie nights we’ve had. Not because it was good, but because we all just had a blast hating on it together. Also lens flare.

1 Like

I would like to quickly stake that this bi-week choices are just to test the system. Next time some ghibli films will definatly be on the list. If you want you can post the ones you want most here.

Defnitely agree. I have sene only some movies from Ghilbi, so if I have to watch another one I would like to watch it with you guys :p.

The Lady and the Tramp from Disney. People who haven’t watched this need to do it!

Based on Happy Dan, The Whistling Dog by Ward Greene, Lady and the Tramp tells the story of a female American Cocker Spaniel named Lady who lives with a refined, upper-middle-class family, and a male stray mutt named Tramp. When the two dogs meet, they embark on many romantic adventures. A direct-to-video sequel, Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp’s Adventure, was released in 2001.

I voted for the time, but since I have never heard of any of those movies, I didnt vote for any of them. And yeah, I think some Ghibli movies would be nice. I especially liked Laputa, Spirited Away and Howling Castle. I have never seen those in any other language than german, so this is gonna be fun for sure.

I bring a message from @Yerian

Hey guys, Yerian here. To help us out, it would be great if you guys could bold any movie recommendations you make. We don’t want to miss any! :smiley: If you want you could post a picture and/or summary too, just to spice things up. THANKS!

This is a good point. If you don’t have any preference for what movie you may want to watch, but have a preferred time, then feel free to only vote on the time. The same can be said vise versa.

I would like to suggest Princess Mononoke, I have watched only 30 mins of it, but I dont really remember it since it’s been a while.
And I think a lot of people will enjoy the movie :slight_smile: or if they have seen it to refresh themselves.

Clannad Movie English Dubbed

12 Likes

Ookami kodomo no Ame to Yuki

Key fans definitely should watch this movie. It’s very close to Clannad in terms of “what makes this movie so good”. It’s a story about family and the love of a mother.

2 Likes

I’d just like to remind everyone that this is still very much in a “testing stage” for us. Ryan and I have talked a lot about what we think would work best, but we would really love to hear everyone else’s opinions. About any part of this.

For one, we know that time zones are probably one of the biggest obstacles to this. We tried to put it around a time slot that we thought would be most accessible to everyone, but we also obviously havent given people too much of a choice. This is probably the biggest part we’d like input on, especially since we have no way of knowing what times people are really going to be able to watch unless you tell us.

Also, do you feel like we are leaving anything out that you think would help this run better? Is there any part of this that we havent made clear enough what our plan are? Any thoughts at all would be helpful.

Thanks guys!

1 Like

Like I said before on the community thread, I am up for watching any of the Studio Ghibli movies (specifically Howl’s Moving Castle or From Up on Poppy Hill), any of the Makoto Shinkai-directed films (like 5 Centimeters Per Second), and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (although it might be a tad too long for recommending, since it’s exactly two-and-a-half hours long). If we’re doing Disney movies, I also nominate Beauty and the Beast, since it’s one of my favorites.

I can’t make the Sunday time either. Any other day is great, but I can’t make Sunday.

2 Likes

Can I clarify what you mean by this? Because the time for you would be around 7:00PM on Saturday for you, wouldn’t it? Is it this time that you can’t make, or is it Sundays?

It’s specifically Sunday where I draw the line. 7:00 PM CDT on Saturday is absolutely fine for me.

I think there might be a bit of confusion here. time zone converter This is a good tool to help understand the time zones. To see how the time zones will change, just drag the switch around.

1 Like

So, depending on where you live, today or tomorrow will be your last day to vote, so get those votes in! Once the poll is closed, we will discuss how we will be watching the movie together. Happy voting :slight_smile:

1 Like

VOTING HAS FINISHED

And the winner is… Nerawareta Gakuen by a landslide!

The time has been decided to be 11:30 PM UTC on Saturday, April 18.

I’m sorry if this time does not work for you. Please tell us what times would be better so we will know for next time!

Just to be clear, everyone needs to acquire the movie on their own, thus why we are leaving a little over a week between voting and the event.

We will continue posting more information and updates throughout the week. Remember, this is still in a ‘testing phase’ so please be patient with us!

And even if you didn’t vote, we still encourage you to join us!

1 Like

I shall be there possimaybely.

I’m up for it! That time works pretty well for me, actually :smiley: