Introduce Yourself!

Thank you for the welcomes!

I have watched Kanon a long time ago, I liked that a lot too. I was planning to watch Little Busters as well, but I decided it would be better to read the VN at some point instead because it’s probably a better experience. I’ve finished 8 routes in Clannad so far (Baseball, Misae, Tomoyo, Yukine, Kotomi, Kyou, Koumura and Nagisa), so I’ve still got a few to go and then After Story. After that there’s still Tomoyo After, which I’m also looking forward to. I’ve also got the side stories, I’m wondering if it matters if I read that before or after Tomoyo After.

I’ll make sure to look around, the few forum topics I’ve checked so far were all interesting and bookclub podcasts sound awesome too.

And I’m glad to see Kyou has fans here. I think I’m fond of the entire cast actually, they’re all likable and interesting in one way or the other.

4 Likes

I’d say play side stories before since they relate to Clannad and playing them after Tomoyo After would be like going back to Clannad stories and having to recall what happened in the game, but it doesn’t really matter, none of the content in side stories is pertinent to Tomoyo After, it’s just your preference.

1 Like

Honestly, Not sure if you know, but there is a sum of episodes divided up with short 5-10 min stories (i think thats how long its been a while)

And they are a nice companion to read right after Clannad for extra feels. I don’t remember, but I don’t think there is a Tomoyo side story in there. So you can do it whenever. For me, I did it right after Clannad, but its up to you.

Oh and I don’t think you can pause during the episodes, its on auto.
So you got to read a bit fast at some points.:hiii:

1 Like

There is a Tomoyo one, #5 “Me in those days”.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, I’ll read the side stories before Tomoyo After then. I’m currently on the Kappei route and I’m kinda curious about it considering I’m not very familiar with his character.

3 Likes

Hi, i’m Dunciboy

Started getting into anime somewhere before Jan 14, 2016. I never really read novels and manga, since i mostly stick to a computer so somewhere in the summer is discovered English visual novels I played Tokyo School Life a short but simple visual novel nothing big, but i liked the concept; so I had Clannad on my plan to watch list on mal and knew it was based on a visual novel so i decided to play the visual novel and then watch the anime, it was my first long visual novel I played and I binge played it during summer. It made me realise how much I like the stories Key makes and I’m also a huge fan of the anime adaptions. I mostly try to first play the visual novel and then watch the anime adaption.

I’m currently playing Little busters which I’ve been waiting for and bought the instant it came out, I’m currently playing the refrain route and I’m having a blast. Further i also like what Frontwing creates and publishes. If you’re interested in knowing what it watched and played you check out my mal and vndb account:
https://vndb.org/u118943
https://myanimelist.net/profile/Dunciboy

10 Likes

Welcome to Kazamatsuri! It’s really cool that you got into the Key VNs before actually watching the anime adaptations. I take it that you enjoyed Clannad a lot? If so, I would suggest taking a look at the route discussions and bookclub podcasts. They’re filled with really interesting insights. Also since you’re reading LB right now, we have the LB bookclub too, so you can go ahead and post your thoughts in those topics. I hope to see you around!

2 Likes

Hello. I’m ganesh swami. I am from the country with diverse religions Bharat (India). My favourite key series and the only one that I have played is little busters. I recently discovered kazamatsuri as i was searching for fourm on character discussions.

6 Likes

Welcome to Kaza! Did you play LB before English Edition or did you just discover it now? How did you discover Little Busters? Was it through anime or other visual novels or you just happened to see it on steam? I hope you enjoy checking out the character discussions and maybe throw in your own opinions too? Feel free to ask questions if you need help!

Greetings, I’m Machelmore, or just Machel. (The ch makes a “K” sound, so it’s pronounced “mackle”).
I’m from Australia, and have kind of been a lurker on Kazamatsuri for some time now.
Technically the first Key franchise I got into was Angel Beats, though I didn’t really pay attention to the company. Some time later, after I got really into reading visual novels, I found Rewrite (which is easily my favourite fictional story of all time) independently of Angel Beats, and only realised when I re-watched AB that they were the same company.
Realising this, I’ve ended up playing through every Key game except Kud Wafter and 1st Beat. I’ve even played One: To the Radiant Season and Moon from when the founding members of Key were working for Tactics. I’ve also seen the Rewrite and Clannad animes.
I can’t remember how I found Kazamatsuri, but I think it was when I was looking for a Clannad walkthrough.
Interests outside of Key include visual novels in general (although Grisaia is the only VN in my top five other than Key games, so I heavily favour Key at all times.) Other than that I enjoy reading paperback novels as well. The only video game I really play with any consistency these days is Super Smash Bros Melee, of which I follow the competitive scene closely as well.
When talking about myself, I have to mention that I have a bit of a complex about what “intelligence” really is, and how I think pretty much everything is subjective. I think my favourite quote from any Key game reflects this, and is Kurugaya talking to Kanata: “Besides, none of you guys have any objective justice on your side here.” Truer words were never spoken.

9 Likes

Welcome to Kazamatsuri @machelmore! We hope you enjoy your stay here. It’s nice to see a veteran around, especially one who’s read One and Moon. :happy: If you want to discuss anything or just share your thoughts on certain characters or routes, don’t be afraid to dig up old topics. We always appreciate any discussion. Since we’re doing our Little Busters! bookclub, I hope to see you around. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

Thanks for joining!

2 Likes

I have played the fantranslation version of little busters before the English edition. I have also watched the Ex episodes of LB.

Welcome to Kazamatsuri! I guess Zosonte covered you’re welcome for the most part. I hope to see you around in the discussion topics then!

1 Like

Welcome, Machel, I hope you enjoy your time here! I see you’re quite the Key veteran.

I’m guessing you’re pretty well-read in postmodernism? I’m currently still trying to get a grasp on what it really is, so I’d appreciate it if you’d like to help explain the concept to me.

1 Like

Well… A concept is subjective. :smug:

There isn’t really a suitable topic for a serious response, so I’ll just hide it in this tab here.

Nonsense.

Honestly Postmodernism is a lot of things, it’s not just one structurally sound concept. A lot of things run by it though…
I’ll go ahead and kind of explain it (I’m probably not the most knowledgeable about it) but to make it more applicable and relevant to the forum, I’ll tie it into the idea of Databasing—something born from Postmoderism, and the reason why Visual Novels are what they are.

The Modern era had an idea that everything was one story. Everything that happens in history is part of a single solid chain of events that we can recount and explain. They call it the Grand Narrative.
The Postmodern perspective says “well there realistically can’t be a single Grand Narrative because it will never be objectively true” and states that each individual event in history is its own narrative. It gets a bit complicated when you get to the narrative of me explaining narratives, but the gist of it is that there is no one story; everything has different sides and perspectives, and there are always multiple narratives.
Naturally if you subscribe to such thought, you begin to have different ideas of meaning than a Modern era society would expect of you. If no truth is objective, and everything is to question, then how much does anything matter? (The answer is subjective lol.) I think this change in thought was the result of globalization, but that’s a different topic.

The postmodern thought brought rise to a strange interaction… Works can be created and compared without necessarily becoming part of a bigger story. This means if you, for example, create a VN with a protagonist that has amnesia, another creator can see your work, grab an idea from it, and copy it or parody it or reference it or twist it in some way… Oh, and without having to link directly to the source.
This means that any such idea (we would likely know of them as tropes or cliches) goes into a database. (Note: Not strictly a physical database. It’s a concept!)

Sooo where does this database fit in? Despite what Postmodernism says, it doesn’t make sense to not have a Grand Narrative. The Grand Narrative served the incorrect purpose (a strict “objective” take on everything that happens) but there is obviously still a greater layer where everything connects… That is where the database sits. The database isn’t a line of events, but more of a soup of ideas and events. I believe Azuma Hiroki hilariously coined this as the “grand non-narrative.”
Things no longer have to serve purpose to a greater whole, but still may influence something else.
Theoretically a Grand Narrative could exist, but it is and always will be out of grasp.

All this is the difference between a “well that show didn’t achieve anything” mindset, and a “wow, that was cute and fun” mindset. That knowledge, the recognition that Postmoderism isn’t a refusal of meaning but a refusal of an objective reality, is what distinguishes it from something like Nihilism. A lot of people get that wrong.
Speaking of Nihilism, none of this matters and Postmoderism is dumb. We get some cute anime girls and a bunch of trashy Light Novels out of it though, so I’m not complaining.

3 Likes

Yeah, looks like @Takafumi knows more than I do. I know a little bit, but that was as a result of research from after I adopted this way of thinking. My “epiphany” is what got me interested in it, it wasn’t that my thinking changed gradually as I learned more about it.

1 Like

Hi! I’m Witch, but I use several different aliases online so you can call me whatever you want.
I don’t live anywhere specifically… I travel a lot. I was born and raised in the US though.
I was first introduced to Key when I was 12 and found a video of a Little Busters playthrough back when TLWiki first began translating the game. I played the VN and thought it was hilarious. Thus, I started watching some of Key’s other works like Clannad, Air and Kanon.
My favorite type of anime is mahou shoujo like Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Madoka Magica, Nanoha, Precure, Symphogear and Pleiades.
As for an interesting fact about myself… uh I can sleep for a whole day despite not being sleep-deprived!
Nice to meet you everyone!

13 Likes

Welcome to Kazamatsuri! Are you replaying Little Busters English Edition? Have you played any of the other Key steam releases? How did you find us? I hope you have a good time here checking out all of the discussion and stuff we have. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I hope to see you around!

I have yet to play the Little Busters Steam release, but when I return to America I will play it. So far, I’ve played Clannad and Planetarian. Haven’t really gotten around to Tomoyo After or Harmonia yet. I’m short on cash 'cause traveling is expensive. :uee: When I settle down somewhere, maybe I’ll buy more games.
I discovered Kaza around when the Rewrite anime aired I think? It’s been a while. Yeah, I’ve been lurking around for a bit. My interests got shifted around a little after that. That’s why I haven’t made an account until today.
Thanks for the warm welcome cjlim2007!

5 Likes

Hello there! i’ve been lurking around this website for approximately a year since finding a walkthrough for clannad on it and thought it was finally time to become part!
My names Lucio, tho online i’m known as LAPB, i’m 25 years old (or 25 years young, who knows) and i’m from Argentina.

I’ll tell you a little about how i came to like anime and visual novels, i’ve played an MMORPG called RuneScape for the past close to 12 years and that’s from where my online name comes from, in there i used to do competitive PvP specifically clan vs clan, and one day a friend i met through years of clan wars (and a girl i kinda liked too) asked me if i wanted to watch SAO with her on teamspeak, the first episode hooked me up quite a bit so i looked forward to continue watching it with her, however around episode 9 she got busy and i didn’t hear of her for a while after about a month i decided to continue without her, i finished the rest of the first season and then the second and from there i started looking for more anime to watch aswell as details of everything i watched, from those details i learned that many of the animes i liked were adaptations of visual novels and since i always want to have an experience as close to the source material as possible i started getting a hold of them.

I dont have a list of all the anime i watched but i do have one of the visual novels ive read: https://vndb.org/u139452/list (thanks @Dunciboy)

On the topic of Key works the first one i came in contact with was the clannad anime and after finishing it i made a note to myself to watch anything made by Key (i must have cried some 10 times between anime and VN ;~; ) i’ve also read the fan translation of rewrite and liked it alot particularly how they managed to have both an action/adventure story within an universe with propper lore/history for it and the trademark Key slice of life, comedy and drama.

Outside of those interests i’m pretty skilled with computers, i studied programming in college (however i didnt finish the software engineering career i was going for), and use linux (not currently however) my main distribution being Arch Linux but i’ve used Gentoo for a little less than a year, i’ve also played plenty of PC games, my favorite ones being Unreal Tournament, GTA, Age of Mythology, Hitman and Splinter Cell.

I look forward to talk to all of you and meet many friends!

PS: You can find me on twitter (at)L_A_P_B

Oh, i forgot to mention i love visual novel sound tracks, and listen to rewrite’s soundtrack when i go to bed using some pc speakers and my phone as sleeping music.

8 Likes