Grisaia Series Discussion

You’re grossly twisting my words.

Everything has flaws, some things have small flaws that do not hamper the overall enjoyment of the media, these flaws are fine.

Grisiaia does not have small flaws, Grisaia has massive flaws in my opinion, massive flaws that make it impossible for me to enjoy it. Maybe ‘it was there first time’ could be given as a valid reason for these flaws existing, but it does not excuse them, it does not magically make these flaws go away.

3 Likes

I actually thoroughly enjoyed those moments of absolute stupidity for some reason.

Maybe I’m still O.K. with Makina’s characteristic…but for for Amane…I hate her very much (she acted like bitc* in front of Yuuji in the anime version) . I even know the spoiler without watched her arc episode, she acted like that because she has some relation with Yuuji’s big sister…

I know Yuuji not really normal as protag… c’mon live with girls at the same roofs for puberty boy–and don’t feel some libid* that was lying . But it’s make me feel ease…that mean he won’t do anything bad toward this girls…

About Grisaia no Meikyuu anime…is it just one episode or there is more? I enjoyed Grisaia no Meikyuu than Kaijutsu (I’m normal girl that is why I need more handsome sexy badass cool strong Yuuji♥)

up until (I think) episode 4 of the Rakuen anime is still Meikyuu content.

1 Like

This is an exaggeration. For example, there are many instances he only thinks he knows how to deal with women, only to find “welp that didn’t go according to plan.” Half the time he’s really just repeating things he’s been told as a kid, so he doesn’t understand the reasoning behind the stuff he says, and this is because as you said he lacks common sense; he’s only regurgitating information while thinking he actually understands. Remember that it’s being narrated from his biased perspective, and that’s why it’s presented the way it is. But really he’s an idiot.

Now, that said, regarding this line

[quote=“Naoki_Saten, post:32, topic:1258”]
Of course, he is super popular not only with the heroines but literally every female he ever encountered.
[/quote]can we all just agree to laugh at the absurd fact he has sex with literally every female who has a sprite?

I understand that. I brought up that you can’t expect much considering the background of the developers. It still doesn’t change the complaints I have with it. I don’t go through life saying “I hate what this person did, but they’ve done worse, so I’ll be kind to them.”

Not exactly. Katawa Shoujo came from a place that’s arguably more H-focused than a nukige company, with little funding, aimed at a market that was in no position to even think about accepting it…
And then it ends up having an all-ages option, an insane amount of publicity, loads of fanworks based off of it, and acceptance in a time where VNs were largely unheard of in the west outside of VN-centric communities. It was a product of the people, both in-production and after. That’s what makes it respectable, it went beyond expectation.

FrontWing are a popular developer, with a large mismanaged budget, aimed at a market that would accept it wholeheartedly. The success of Grisaia was expected, and with how popular it was in Japan, it’s surprising how long it took to catch on in the west; when it finally did, it was at a time where Katawa Shoujo had already created an audience for Grisaia to target. Grisaia isn’t respectable, it’s expected…
Of course, these things don’t carry over to a fresh market. They don’t know what to expect. They have no comparisons or contrasts. They get to enjoy Grisaia. That’s totally fine, they can enjoy what they want. I’ll enjoy what I want. I’ll still criticise anything that is bad though.

The problem is you have to get through half of it. A good second half doesn’t mean anything if the first half was so bad that I saw no reason to give it a chance.

That’s another problem with it. nod nod

That isn’t a tl;dr of what you said at all! By “beat your fav vn” do you mean in popularity? Because every VN does that for me.
I don’t judge a VN by it’s popularity, I judge it fair and square. Compared to the rest of the VNs I’ve read, Grisaia is really bad. If we look at other popular VNs, Katawa Shoujo is average, Hatoful is slightly above average, Litbus is good (even if I only liked one route) and Umineko is great (even if I think it’s garbage.) Popularity of a VN may affect my enjoyment of said VN, but I believe that having an opinion shouldn’t make you blind to good literature, even if it’s not a story you’d enjoy.

You shouldn’t bring it up in the first place if you don’t share that thought. Do you see it as something to fault your opinions? Think more highly of yourself~

The developers should have believed in their own attempts then. They have that “break the mold” moment, but that threw it in-between tens of hours of “we’re still cool guys! Look! Nude sprites!”

I think it’s creepy, but that’s not even factoring in the H-scenes. Heck, the “papa” thing was eww enough.
It’s not the same as the G-senjou argument. I don’t think there’s anything strange about a step-sister calling her step-brother “brother.” That’s… pretty normal.

If your argument starts with “So you’re saying…” then scrap that argument.

If something is flawed, it’s open to criticism. That is the norm. Arguably, everything does have flaws, so everything is open to criticism. Hence why so many people on this site think I dislike everything.
No sane person expects perfection, they just align things to the standards they have built up over life.

Pinpon~~

I’m a very judgemental person, so I have problems with the both of them~ There are no authority figures in their lives though. Maybe that is a cause.

Yeah, at least he wasn’t a bad person ^^;

1 Like

I was more going for both call the protagonist something that if that truly was their relationship it would be incest but since they aren’t fully related (or at all in Makina’s case) I don’t see an issue with it. This also might be coming from I only have experience from the anime and Steam version so I haven’t experienced the H-scenes. They might be gross if I actually see them but using my knowledge of Makina’s route they don’t seem like they would be to me. If it’s just the “papa” thing then idk, I’ve never really cared about what someone calls someone else unless that person doesn’t like it so I don’t really have an issue with it.

I’ve just started Grisaia. I was expecting something great, but from the comments here I guess I should lower my expectations. I’m in the beginning of the common route. Yumiko is really the best girl, and her interactions with Yuuji are pretty much the only “interesting” thing until now.

I was wondering if the common route, despite plotless, heads anywhere… Is it just random SoL comedy or does it have some kind of development behind, with a climax at the end of it?

Just don’t. Hinoue>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Na-ga

I don’t think everything has flaws; sometimes people are just “blind” and criticize stuff with pointless arguments, so this is why everything is open to criticism.

This pretty summed up my experience of the common route.

I also wondered this. After spending a lot of my day reading it, I had to check google to see if the VN even had decision points in it.

That opinion is flawed.

That one also is.

Yup. Too negative nod nod

The common route branches into routes at different time points based on your choices, so it doesn’t have a climax, let alone an ending.

Last episode cut a lot of stuff, so looks like they really want to include Rakuen’s after story lol.

There’s one more interesting thing: Makina. I don’t know which route I’ll do first, Makina’s or Yumiko’s, but I guess I’ll stay with Yumiko, since I like her the most.

Grisaia’s common route seems a lot like Kiniro Mosaic, except that it has a male in the middle and more sexual references. It’s just random stuff after random stuff. But its pacing is quite different from most VNs. Instead of going through the whole day, Grisaia jumps from scene to scene, in a way that’s more similar to other media.

Everyone is talking about how interesting Yumiko and Makina were. And I’m just sitting here, remembering how I found Michiru to be by far the most interesting character throughout common route…

For anyone here who’s already played Grisaia, care to make a quick review? I’ve been on the fence about acquiring it since it looks like it has a lot slice-of-life, which is not really my thing. But it looks like this has an interesting plot underneath it.

Michiru would be third in my scale. I love tsunderes, but you know, Michiru is just playing a tsundere and she keeps throwing insults the whole time, that is kinda tiresome. I like hardcore classic tsunderes like Lucia, who go REALLY TSUN when triggered, or act coldly to the guy. There’s an exception for cute loli tsunderes, that I love too.

My scale of Grisaia girls is: Yumiko>Makina>Michiru>Amane>Sachi. Sachi is just… Boring imo. Always submissive, we can’t know her own will, this makes her feel just like a reflection of the people around her.

Grisaia is definitely focused on the characters. All of the plot revolves around the growth of Yuuji and each of the girls; the “true plot” of the VN is each of the character routes. The common route is a slice of their everyday lives and their specific routes go into the circumstances and past of each of the girls. In general, the routes are emotional, long and intensely focused on who the girl is and why they’re that way. So if you don’t like the characters and don’t want to know more about them, don’t play this. It’s about the girls, and that’s pretty much it.

Allow me to explain.
In the common route, most characters weren’t exactly interesting.
Amane was the girl in charge of being naked and making sandwiches. Case closed.
Yumiko lost her tsun way too easily. With that, her subplot was pretty much finished and it was all about displaying her ‘weak’ side.
Makina’s specialty was comedy. Her value (apart from being favorite girl) lied in what she said, not in what she was.
Sachi was the overly obedient maid. You say it, she does it. That’s her deal. It was only a matter of scale at this point. I liked the Sachi-Michiru dynamic, though.
But Michiru… Michiru was truly interesting.

Her entire Tsundere ‘personality’ was obvioiusly a cheap act, which she didn’t even bother hiding. But I was wondering: Why did she keep acting that way and maintaining this facade? What is the real Michiru like?
So when the scene that led to her route came around, I would’ve been glad to jump right onto it, but unfortunately, I was following a different route order, so I had to exercise patience.

1 Like

I’ve just finished Yumiko’s route. It was so so. The first half was bad, but things got better later.

The initial conflict was boring and not very well chosen. I know it was supposed to be something “fake”, but even when things were supposed to be serious, it was terribly boring. I couldn’t get myself into those fights, and they made such a fuss about Yuuji’s broken arm, and Yumiko was afraid… I also think the conflict should’ve been chosen better. Maybe something that hinted on her backstory. Because agents trying to kidnap her under her father’s orders was kinda…Everything was so fast and sudden, I couldn’t take it seriously. They didn’t refrain from spending time with jokes, but when it came to the conflicts, they brought up in the blink of an eye and finished it quickly.

The romance also started terribly. Seriously, Yuuji didn’t really like her and just brought it up sometime like something he didn’t care about. He was just like: if she likes me, I’ll be with her. Then, he asked her during the meal if she kissed him last night. She reluctantly confirmed it, and then he said he liked her and wanted to sleep with her. They had sex just after that (didn’t see anything thankfully, since I was playing the Steam version) and after they had sex Yumiko was still embarrassed to address Yuuji by his first name, lol. But the romance got better, specially in the “amusement park” scene. It was indeed, a romantic scene.

The conflict also got better on the second half, aside Yumiko’s burdens as a housewife and she discussing all the time with Yuuji. That seriously annoyed me From the first half, the only thing I liked was the flashback.

I hope the other routes can achieve something higher. When I started playing Grisaia, I expected something as good as Rewrite. I don’t think Grisaia can give me some truly masterpiece like Lucia’s route, but let’s see… Next will be Makina’s route.

I think you might want to lower your expectations. While I like The Fruit of Grisaia as a nice little story it is nowhere near the quality of Rewrite.