General Visual Novel Topic

So, Iwaihime on 27th Nov, and cast announced https://seaoffragments.wordpress.com/2015/08/17/iwaihime-cast-and-release-date-announced/

And I’m also almost done with Air, just as a side note^^

1 Like

Finished Kokoro’s route in Remember11. And… I just have one thing to say: WHAT. THE. HECK?!

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is exactly the right place to ask this but does anyone know the best place to buy visual novels in Akihabara? I’m particularly interested to getting the sequel to Kara no shoujo while I’m over there, any ideas?

I don’t think there is a certain place, but I guess shops like sofmap might work (where I bought my copy of Angel beats 1st beat)

It’s only that it’s a slightly older game so I was wondering if there are shops that have a reputation for having older and/or used visual novels, but I’ll be sure to check soft map out thanks for the recommendation!

Sofmap is definitely one good option. So are Traders and Mulan, from my experience :smiley:

1 Like

Just finished Symphonic Rain. Well that was actually really damn good. Hasn’t been since MLA since I enjoyed a visual novel to this extent.

1 Like

I should really replay that, considering that I mark it as my favorite visual novel

Then again the only VN that I have ever replayed is planetarian xP

I finished Sharin no Kuni and loved it and now I just need to find that fucking OST. I think (Yuukyuu no Shounenshojo) Mina best girl tbh. I’m just reading the girls’ after stories now.

Oh, I never did go back for the fandisc. I’m gathering it’s worth reading?

Well, only the part with Houzuki’s backstory. Whether or not the after stories are good, I don’t know. I’ve heard differing things about them.

pffft. Not even Mana.

After stories are just slice of life, nothing too bad, or good. It’s fanservice ya know. Definitely should read Houzuki’s chapter, and probably Eri’s as well.

So I just finished eden* and thought it was a beautifully-written story. It definitely dragged on a bit too much at times, but it was able to tell its story with good pacing regardless.

In a way, this is a VN I would compare to something of a work of art, as the blending of background, foreground, music, and dialogue all help to get you into the mood of things as you read it. That much I am thankful for in this VN.

It’s not perfect, as far as VNs go, but it had a great story and message to tell, and came with an environment that really helped get you into the mood for the story. Definitely something worth checking out, and definitely worth the money you pay for it.

I read Yume Miru Kusuri and it was really relatable, especially the student council girl (Mizuki?) route. I think that’s probably favorite route, but the bullying (Aeka) route was super chilling and graphic. Nekoko’s route was pretty sweet and light hearted, even with the plot that was pushed in. Definitely something I recommend. (I just saw Romeo was the writer for it after I finished it lol)

1 Like

I’m currently playing Fate/Stay Night, Steins;Gate, ReWrite, World End Economica, and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (though I have read through the first arc already, I want to go through it is as it comes to steam)

Which is to say I am getting nowhere in any of these, and my heart keeps trying to convince me to start playing Grisaia too. I think I am most into Steins;Gate right now so I am hoping to double down on it. I wish it had cross play between the Vita and PS3 version though.

You’re looking at about 150 to 200 hours of VN reading there. Just pick one, and read it until completion. That’s my advice anyway.

Fate has it’s moments, but can be extremely slow and dull at times. S;G is great, Rewrite is great, and I can’t speak for the others.

Yeah, I think I am going to focus on Steins;Gate for now. At this point, I might shelf Rewrite in the hopes it gets a book club here.

Fate is kind of a passion project for me - I’ve spoiled the whole thing but it is still important to me to read it. I might just take a long time doing it.

If you want to watch the anime and don’t want the VN spoiled that’s probably not a good idea as Clannad is about to start then there will probably be a break then I think Kanon so Rewrite would be after that at the earliest.

1 Like

I don’t mind having some of it spoiled from the anime. It is easier for me to judge anime adaptations more kindly if I don’t have a lot of opinions on the source material. And then when I do go read it there will be a lot of new content to enjoy and a lot of ideas fleshed, so I will still really enjoy it.

1 Like

Just some heads-up info but, as far as I know at least, Rewrite is pretty low priority on our list of bookclubs, mostly because a lot of people have already read it, and it was only recently released and translated. We like to wait a bit more time between the release of a VN before bookclubbing it :wink:

But on the rest of your plans…

It’s definitely worth taking your time with Higurashi, as you need time between episodes for your thoughts to seep in. I marathoned Umineko a while back and felt that it worked to my disadvantage.

Otherwise, S;G is a solid VN. WEE is comparably short, so you can prioritize that if you wanna finish one. Haven’t played F/SN so I can’t speak for that yet

2 Likes