General Visual Novel Topic

Though they aren’t all great, I have a soft spot for Axl visual novels. I mainly read VNs for comedy, and they have some pretty unique ones.

A personal favorite of mine is a VN by alcot: Onigokko, which was a riot all throughout.

Some other companies I like: some yuzu-soft, certain circus (ahem da capo), some Will (including games under their engine like pulltop and ensemble), some August, akatsuki works, early Lump of Sugar, akabeisoft2, some of Saga Planets, and some others I can’t name off the top of my head. I honestly care little for the over-all writing, as long as they entertain me. Games that’re serious all throughout I give a pass.

I used to go on an all-out binge of VNs every quarter, spending hundreds of dollars, but after plenty of spectacular disappointments I stopped by 2010, after some pretty lackluster games. Now I trust to word-of-mouth and personal research before buying.

1 Like

So I just saw this news: http://gematsu.com/2015/06/degica-kickstarting-muv-luv-muv-luv-alternative-localization-this-summer

I saw something that said IXTL and was pretty confident it stood for Ixrec Translation, but was disappointed to learn that I was wrong

I’m still waiting for more details for now, but the fact that age of all companies is kickstarting a MLA localization says a lot about the impact recent success has had on Japan’s thoughts regarding the Western market.

1 Like

As with all VN adaptations, sorta I still loathe Grisaia, I hope it does well. Part of me is very hesitant about Muv Luv though. Not entirely sure why. I guess because I’ll end up replaying it and I’m concerned it won’t be anywhere near as good the second time round. Even if the way they tie everything together is pretty amazing if you’re into that kind of narrative structure.

With LGBT revolution in US days ago, I’m now tempted to ask you all if you had ever see a VN with bisexual or pansexual protagonist.
The closest thing I just knew recently is probably the future Fire Emblem game which is not even a VN, but having a same-sex marriage when it’s not the common theme over there is quite interesting, I’d say.

I would really glad if someday I can play VN where in the setting, everyone is either bisexual or pansexual. And we can choose our protagonist gender, and love anyone regardless of their gender or sexual identity.

But of course, I need them to be worth my time. I’m asking too much, sorry.

1 Like

Isn’t Angel Beats! supposed to have some routes where Otonoshi is gay? I don’t know if the Matsushita route includes it but I’m pretty sure I read it will be included in at least one of the routes.

Does Tomoya in CLANNAD count? Or Okabe Rintarou? Don’t Take it Personally, Babe, it Just ain’t Your Story has some side characters that almost fit the description… but that’s a funny VN in that the protagonist is an outsider to the drama.

Seriously though, for a topic like this, I recommend Tsuki no Terasu. The world is very different than it was when I first read it, so maybe it isn’t as relevant any more, but I liked it.

There aren’t very many VNs, but they do seem to exist: https://vndb.org/g1933

Huh, I see MOON. is on that list. That’s still on my To Play list…

Only VN on that list I’ve actually read is Hadaka Shitsuji. Ugh. shudder I only managed to get through one route before deleting it. Worst VN I’ve ever had the misfortune of reading.

1 Like

Tsukihime Remake info: (Page scan) (Release date is still undecided)

[About the keyword of the project - 新生 - rebirth/second birth]

• They want to reintroduce Tsukihime to player and they thought about what to do. Nasu feels lot like when the worked on Mahoyo.
  • Making graphics better, taking the scenartio to another level, but the base stays the same.
  • They want to make the player think “nostalgic but fresh” about some things they see in the game, move his feelings by some things, suprise him, and to give it all Type-Moon has.
  • Since the school in the original game didn’t have any teachers, a new character was added: Noel, a female teacher

[About the setting change] ([Mansion] 2) ([City] 3)

• The setting now change from a city that resembled “vaguely Tokyo suburbs” to pretty clearly “Tokyo metropolitan area”. The scale of the incidents doesn’t change, but the new scale of the setting might affect the story in some way, pls look forward to it.
  • Long talk about how different settings might feel. Original Tsukihime and Mahoyo are kinda like “what if something happened here” to new “big cities are scary, isn’t it, things like this happen in big cities”.
  • Takeuchi says a big city is more fit for modern vampire stories.
  • They’re talking about how they did location scounting around Tokyo, but won’t say which specific places are inspired by. They don’t want the players to know what to specifically look forward ro yet.
  • The Toono mansion and the school are being remade in details. The mansion will still be Western style and will feel like the best place for murder incidents to happen.
  • They’re talking about the 3D image of the mansion that’s on a different page. Takeuchi is making a 3D model of it, which makes drawing easier, but it’s also hard, since he needs to create all the details and mind object collisions.
  • Nasu says that when you add the characters and text it really feels like a proper mystery/horror etc. and is really happy to be making a hype of game he likes.
  • Talk about how the mansion doesn’t really look scary at night, but gets ominous at night, like Resi 1 mansion.
  • They’re asked if there’ll be elements of local folklore/traditions - basically what people talk about between themselves and pass it. Since the scale of the setting has changed, it might be about how Toonos got the mansion and th lands around.

[About the character design change] ([Shiki] 4) ([Ciel] 5) ([Arihiko] 6)

• Takeuchi says he created a more modern designs while for example keeping the image of Arcueid as “pure white” vampire.
1 Like

Where is this from and when was it released?

Lack of release date is always disappointing, but it great to continue to see progress on this!

From TM Ace Vol10 just today or yesterday, and I copied the translations from Beasts Lair and -cough- 4chan -cough- ^^

edit: Just had a thought, I wonder what they’ll do about the music in the remake, considering that the original’s OST was… not the best thing in the world… maybe they’ll actually use the stuff from the Moonlit Archives this time? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Doublethree1
I doubt they’ll make the route seriously. I think big chance is Homo route treated like gag ending in CLANNAD. But I’m totally not against having a real homo route in AB! I even dreamed about it few days ago!

@Takafumi
Now that you mention it, maybe Tomoya qualifies too… Although he only shown interest to guys only to Hiiragi-chan and Sunohara during Homo ending. Okabe, too… for the glory of traps.
I’ll try checking both titles you put. Thank you very much for the input ; )

@Rincchi
Thanks for the input. There’s a lot of titles I’ve yet to check. (I too, have seen some CGs of Hadaka Shitsuji. Sadly that’s not within my interest.)
Anyway, thanks to your link, I managed to find something more accurate to the things I’m looking for.
VNs with both male and female interests. Again, I found a lot of titles I’ve never seen and the scores of the VNs are quite low. But I’ll try checking them, maybe there are some worth playing.

Woah, I remember e’tude. I wouldn’t say it’s exactly what you are looking for… It’s like Tokimeki and Girl’s Side put into one package, and it’s pretty basic story-wise.

I’m surprised LLTQ is on vndb. I guess it had enough text to be called a VN.

HOLYSHIT! Umineko is also getting an official localization and coming to Steam. I will THROW DOLLARS on my screen.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-05/mangagamer-to-release-umineko-visual-novel-on-steam/.90105

I’ve just finished Kurisu’s route in Steins;Gate Hiyoku Renri no Darling… 6.4\10 Quite pleasant, but they could have added more romance, given it is a fandisc. I’m not sure, but there seems to be some new BGM… They were quite good, in fact…

Anyway, next route will be Faris nyan~

Just finished Cross†Channel, gonna go through Tower of Friends now. Seems I somehow I managed to always pick the correct choices without relying on a guide.

…heavy stuff is all I can say.

Edit: Just finished Tower of Friends. WTF did I just read ?!

Majikoi was pretty fun, and now I’m debating moving on to Majikoi S or reading something else. Anyone have any particular opinions on whether or not it’s worth reading / a good follow-up to the original?

One thing that I think can be agreed upon is that it’s just not as good as the original. A lot of the routes are mostly just excuses for more H-Scenes. The only ones that are actually any good are Monshiro, Tsubame, and Koyuki’s. The rest with maybe the exception of Kokoro’s are pretty much only H-Scene material. Other than that, the same great humor and character interactions from the original are still there. I only really suggest playing it now if you’re really craving more Majikoi. If not, then save it for later.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll put it on the backlog then. I’m itching for something more heavy for a change. If only Subahibi could come out already…

Sorry to bring this vintage post back but… this is the first time I hear this word: Imuneko.
You’ve sold me on it. I’ll definitively add it to my To-Do list.

curiousity mode on

Thanks!

1 Like