General Visual Novel Topic

We shall see… actually it’s Higurashi that’s giving me high hopes for Iwaihime (edit: I just read the blog again and apparently it’s Iwai, not Shuku) , because the atmosphere in Onikakushi and Watanagashi had a good scariness to it (and (Higurashi Kai ending spoiler->) sadness when reading it a 2nd time after you know everything ;_; ) so I know that he can do creepy stuff well and am thus looking forward to a VN that focuses on the horror aspect :3

[quote=“Yerian, post:342, topic:108”]
Nasu said production is still proceeding… ;_; It will be here Soon™ enough…
[/quote]Well… with Dark Souls 3 now announced I feel like that soon™ is still a while away :confused:
I swear, if they cut Sacchin’s route again because of time trouble I’ll… dunno, write a strongly worded letter in very broken japanese or something
On the other hand, if they make Sacchin’s route good and maybe add a little Sion, Riesbyfe and/or Akira side-route(s) it’ll be worth the wait^^

edit: TL for the Iwaihime teaser blurb from reddit:

Hajakenshou…Crush evil, spread the truth.
For generations, the men of the Susuharai family have left home at a
fixed age to become independent. By tempering themselves without aid,
they would have their adulthood recognized. In preparation for that day,
I learned an array of things.

Susuda Prefectural High School—my new halls of leaning. To tell the
truth, I had planned to transfer my first year, not second. But my
everyday life here wasn’t just carefree; it was pleasant. I passed the
days happily with any of my peers from Second Year Class A.

But there was a girl—Kurokami Toe. To call her strange would be a
lacking description. Never for a moment would she let go of the
traditional Japanese doll she held in her arms. There were those who
whispered it was a cursed doll, whose hair would grow when you weren’t
looking. Indeed, it was an eerie doll.

However, meeting Kurokami might have been fate. No, it must have been.

What the FUCK Hatoful Boyfriend is WAY more intense than I thought it would be. Holy crap.

1 Like

That one was definitely a surprise. I came for the bad bird jokes, stayed for the surprisingly intricate plot.

So i’m still a super beginner in Japanese, but Dies Irae has caught my eye. Just from the few glimpses i’ve gotten, it looks fantastic. Anyone here read it? How difficult is the Japanese?

In that case I should make sure to pick it up somewhere along the line :o

Read the VNDB page and that sounds pretty damn cool. I’d hazard a guess it’s rather difficult, but that’s mostly baseless. Of course, it’s also incredibly long, which makes it harder in and of itself. Adding that to my expansive list of “Things to play if I ever finish MLA.”

On the flip side, if you ever make it to the end, you’ll have a ton of Japanese under your belt, haha. I heard the writing’s really great, but that doesn’t tell me how it compares to other VN difficulties.

I’ve never read it, but the Japanese in Dies Irae is rather infamous for being high level, especially compared to other VNs.

oh, lol. To the back of the list then.

[quote=“SuikaShoujo, post:350, topic:108, full:true”]
I’ve never read it, but the Japanese in Dies Irae is rather infamous for being high level, especially compared to other VNs.
[/quote] Oh hey, look! Our old friend agrees XD

If you’re still really interested, you could probably try out one of Light’s other VNs. They seem to have the same kind of tones and themes. You know, as long as they’re not at the same level of difficulty as Dies Irae. I might look into it and let you know.

EDIT: Yeah… actually I would stay away from Light until you’re either practically fluent or want to give yourself a bad headache…

Light’s VNs have always really interested me, actually. But you know, the whole Japanese thing. I can feel myself getting close, though!

There are a ton of other VNs I need to read first anyway, KEY ones being at the forefront. That’ll just be on the long-term list.

So I know I’m SUPER late to the party on this one, but I’m presently reading Fate/Stay Night and really loving it, can see why that series is regarded so highly. Finished my first route last night and the other two are said to be way better, so looking forward to that.

I actually haven’t finished F/SN even though I kept telling myself to finish it. (Currently I’m still on the point where we first met Saber. Yeah, I’m that slow.)

Months ago just finished eden* and it was just okay. Also, finished Cartagra and Kara no Shoujo. They were good. Can’t wait for Kara no Shoujo 2.

Next to play is Rose Guns Days. I finished the second book years ago, but I planned to re-read everything and continue to the third and fourth (final) chapter.

[quote=“Exenorate, post:354, topic:108”]
the other two are said to be way better
[/quote]In general that’s true (my ranking is HF > UBW > fate) but I know at least 1 guy who says that Fate is the best route, so it comes down to personal preference :wink:

Did you manage to make it through in one go or did you pick up a few bad/dead ends along the way?

[quote=“Hirato, post:355, topic:108”]
I actually haven’t finished F/SN even though I kept telling myself to finish it
[/quote]Do it! ༼ つ ◕w◕ ༽つ

I need to get back on F/SN. I had to stop for a while since Grisaia came out and that was a review code. I really liked what I played (I think I was a bit into the second route).

Yes yes you should all read Fate/Stay Night. One of my favorites :slight_smile:

@Exenorate I’m so glad you’re loving it! Its never too late join the party. It only gets more exciting from here on.

[quote=“Hirato, post:355, topic:108”]
I actually haven’t finished F/SN even though I kept telling myself to finish it. (Currently I’m still on the point where we first met Saber. Yeah, I’m that slow.)
[/quote] Whoa, don’t you mean you keep meaning to start it? XD But yeah, it gets really slow at some points, so you kinda have to just keep bulldozing for a couple minutes until you get back to the exciting stuff. Unless of course you thoroughly enjoy cooking and info dumping.

It’s surprisingly good, given the fact it’s a pigeonsim. The plot was a very surprising cherry on top.

Also, I for one hated the endless cooking scenes in FSN and it’s sound effects. Made me hungry every time.

Yeah there’s definitely a lot of slow points, but the action scenes are awesome. Love the music too. Going to read some more after work tonight. Looking forward to it.

It was actually quite long before we finally see Saber for the first time! Like, blah-blah exposition, blah-blah school life, blah-blah magus etc. Plus, I think the anime adaptations weren’t so bad and the adaptations were interesting, but not interesting enough to the point that I think I should read the VN too. So, F/SN would be on the back of my “must play” lists. Maybe someday…

Also, reading some comments about Hatoful. I played that around 2 years ago, I think?
That was my first otome-game (if you can call it that) and I fell in love with a bird. For real.
The story has interesting, unexpected depth despite being a “parody” game.

[quote=“Exenorate, post:361, topic:108”]
Love the music too
[/quote]I wanna link the 2 best tracks so badly, but there’s major spoilers all over them… well, the people who played FSN will know which tracks I mean^^

[quote=“Hirato, post:362, topic:108”]
It was actually quite long before we finally see Saber for the first time! Like, blah-blah exposition, blah-blah school life, blah-blah magus etc
[/quote]There really is a lot of exposition on everything, and even later there’s a few lengthy parts that go into lore and character interaction… personally I like that stuff but I do understand people who get bored by it
Little tip for those people: Don’t read Tsukihime^^

edit: speaking of Tsukihime: https://twitter.com/blue_glass_arke/status/614827418461679616
Will we get more than a few sketches and them saying “It’ll be a few more years”? Find out soon™!