General Visual Novel Topic

Read through Moonshine yesterday. At about 45 min it’s the shortest visual novel I’ve ever read, but it’s pretty good. Interesting setup and good execution.

Yeah, it’s by Leaf. Misato Mitsumi is one of my favorite artists. It’s a little darker than their other works though.

I have no idea where else to post this, but I was just talking to my girlfriend and mentioned the idea behind Hatoful Boyfriend to her and she was like “You date birds? Sounds awesome. I love birds.” So I guess I have to watch out for avian suitors coming to steal my girl.

I’m playing Koichoco. Just finished Chisato’s route. Anyone else playing? I don’t know about other routes, but I felt like it focused too much on the elections than in the heroine herself. When I start a route, I really want it to be focused almost entirely on the heroine, the plot itself can be left mostly for the common route. After all, it’s a charage, isn’t it?
I’m also playing Steins;Gate. Just finished Suzuha’s ending.

Waiting for the (possible) All Ages patch first. If the TL group decide not to make one then I don’t think I’ll play it. It doesn’t look that great. It’s on my radar, but only because there’s been so much fanart on Twitter.

Suzuha’s ending is the part of Steins;Gate I remember most clearly. I thought the developments were really interesting.

“[…]But nothing is final”

They have already released an all-ages partial patch, which was the one I played. It has Common Route + Chisato.

I don’t play partials. No point picking up a story if it’s not in a finished state~

Chisato doesn’t look very appealing either… A blond, twin-tailed tsundere. Too tropey.

Ohhh that’s the other sprite VN, isn’t it? I’ve never read either of them, mostly because neither of them have full translations yet, but a lot of people seem to like them, don’t they. I don’t know, I like sprite’s art, so I’ll probably take a look at it when its translated and I have time.

I never realized that it finished translation :o Last time I checked, they were still like only halfway through. Granted, I haven’t checked it in a long while. I guess last time I checked was when they released the partial patch :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess I’ll check it out if, same as Taka, they release a full all-ages edit. Or if Sekai Project swoops down and releases their work on steam huehue

ooh, how is that going? I’ve been thinking of starting it sometime, but my plate will be full for a while so I don’t have any room for it. I played the other sprite VN and LOVED it, but I’ve been trying to contain my fangasms to a minimum level so I don’t annoy people and push them away from it before the anime even comes out…

[quote=“yerian98, post:230, topic:108”]
Ohhh that’s the other sprite VN, isn’t it? I’ve never read either of them, mostly because neither of them have full translations yet, but a lot of people seem to like them, don’t they. I don’t know, I like sprite’s art, so I’ll probably take a look at it when its translated and I have time.
[/quote]they both have anime adaptations if you’re interested, though AoKana’s has yet to come out. also, believe it or not, they were both done by different artists.

as for how much people liked them: here is a list of the 50 best VNs to come out last year, as voted by consumers. There’s some pretty damn good stuff in there too.

2 Likes

Yeah… I know, but I usually like reading the VN first and both translations have already started and Ive got a “full plate” as well, I think I’ll just wait.

[quote=“AngelofDeath720, post:232, topic:108”]
believe it or not, they were both done by different artists.
[/quote]Oh yeah, I guess I can see that now that you point it out… they both look distinctly sprite-ish though.

[quote=“AngelofDeath720, post:232, topic:108”]
a list of the 50 best VNs to come out last year, as voted by consumers
[/quote]Oh yeah, I never got a chance to look at last year’s Moe Game Awards, thanks for the link!

you’re welcome. I was honestly quite surprised with the list this year, as knew of and was actually kind of interested in more than half of them, and had read a good few of them myself. I was even more surprised that AoKana got 1st; especially considering that Sprite isn’t really one of the major VN companies out there.

Getchu also announced their award ranking result

Need to play tsuriotsu to see what so wonderful about Luna that she deserved to win best heroine for 3 years in a row.

2 Likes

People have already started translating AoKana? That’s interesting. I’ve always been interested in both of sprite’s works honestly, and I’ve been reading the KoiChoco manga (because a friend of mine was translating it for a while). I guess I really should try out at least the partial patch. I wouldn’t mind it not being complete as I don’t quite have the luxury of time to read it fully if I don’t like it XD

ok, now I just feel bad. 18 of those 20 VNs I was interested in and/or have played. at least when there were 50 I could say that I didn’t know the majority of them, but its like they took all the ones I knew from the other list and just rearranged them.

[quote=“Zak89, post:235, topic:108”]
best heroine
[/quote]I have to admit I had a good laugh looking at this list. almost every girl I know from there fits into a pretty similar role; and then there’s Maia, who is just about as far from said role as you can get.
I’m also a bit saddened that Mashiro ranked higher than Asuka, since one was my least favorite heroine in the game and the other was my favorite; but at least they’re both on the list, right?

[quote=“Pepe, post:236, topic:108”]
I wouldn’t mind it not being complete as I don’t quite have the luxury of time to read it fully if I don’t like it XD
[/quote]I had similar thoughts when I started AoKana. I just wanted a VN to play in the week or so before I could play Holy Breaker! and I honestly didn’t even think I would finish it for a while. Two days later, I didn’t even care if Holy Breaker! came, as I was more interested in AoKana, and by the end of the week it had become my favorite game of 2014.

I can’t really speak for KoiChoco, but if it’s anything like that, you probably don’t want a partial patch.

1 Like

Well, as I said, Chisato’s route focused too much on the plot, and I don’t really like when this happens. I prefer to leave the plot to the Common Route, and the heroine routes to be almost entirely focused on the heroine or a heroine-related plot. But, it was good. I liked the art, the songs and the romance very much. Just hope the other heroines’ routes are better.

But what made you like AoKana so much?

Taking the topic off Sprite for the moment, at least until @AngelofDeath720 gets back and goes on a fangasm now that someone gave him a reason to do so.

Has anyone heard ofSilverio Vendetta? Probably not, since it won’t be out until tomorrow, but I found myself with an extra hour earlier today and it looked interesting enough to give a shot, so I downloaded the demo and played it for a while.

for the most part, the demo was pretty good. the characters are decent enough, the art is passable, and the scenario so far looks really interesting; but there was one HUGE thing that stood out to me and actually makes me want to play it on release: the music.
About 5 minutes into the VN you start to hear Vendetta(who I’m assuming is the main heroine) sing. What caught me off guard, was that the song kept playing, even when Vendetta was speaking. A bit later she started humming a different song, and it was only about 2 minutes into that when I realized that this was the background music. No instruments, just one character singing. Of course, this made me really interested, so I started paying a lot more attention to the music; but when the music changed I was disappointed to hear the normal slew of instruments. Though moments later she started humming along with the instruments. A few songs like this later and a battle broke out, and I thought “there’s no way she can be in this song too, you can’t really sing along with epic battle music like this.” But you know those oddly angelic voices that sometimes appear in the background of really epic music? Yep, that was her. She literally brings a vocal element to almost every song that was played in the demo, and I think that’s actually a really interesting lever to play with in a VN that I’ve never seen before.

1 Like

[quote=“AngelofDeath720, post:158, topic:28”]

When I say emptiness I don’t mean they don’t have any personality, it’s just that they usually don’t say how they think, their world vision isn’t explored. The only thing that’s explored about them is their feelings. Kotarou is totally different from the other VN protagonists, as he expresses his opinion about a lot of stuff, specially in the common route.
It’s not about what I’ve been reading. Take a look at the majority of monthly eroge releases and you’ll see what I am talking about.

There’s your problem. You are comparing an eroge with a standard VN. They are two different categories.

Most of the VNs I’ve read have had protagonists that were characters in their own right. Kotarou doesn’t really stand out imo. There are much better, and there are much worse. There are even eroge protagonists that have more character.

as someone who actually reads a lot of the eroge released every month, I don’t see what you’re talking about. Unless you’re specifically looking at nukige, the protagonists have been pretty good lately as far as I can tell.

If you can name a specific game and/or character that looks hollow I’ll look into it, but the ones I’ve picked up on my own have not fallen into this pit.