General Manga Discussion

That what really got me about the ending. I’t does not leave you wondering. You know how it will go after the serie ends, but you are onlycertain on the very last pannel. also if I recall correctly she’s genuinely smiling, which in my mind hints that she is no longer evil.

I read pupa too and really enjoyed it. There are a couple of very funny quotes in this manga and the story is good.
However, it gets confusing at points and I believe it is not fully translated yet, so I’m still waiting for explanations on some things.

This series really got me. God it is stupid, but that’s what makes it funny.

I was told the anime is actually better than the manga for parasyte, but there is way more gore it the manga. Also, there is a live action movie, and it looks kinda good. I do not know anything about this. it sounds interesting though.

Parasyte is weird. It has this really mature art style which compliments it’s body horror really well. But the actual content of the themes and ideas in the manga are really childish and empty. This isn’t too detrimental until the second half though, but past a certain point Parasyte is just the same old trash rehashing ideas it doesn’t really understand, and losing track of what it was doing that was good in the first place.

In that respect, what I’ve seen of the anime has reduces this disconnect between art stye and content which can only help the work as a cohesive piece.

1 Like

@Skyzzed, If you are looking for a good manhwa, i recommend Girls of the wild. It is pretty well done, art is original and the story is nice too. It is pretty long though.
It’s the story of a guy who lives alone with his younger siblings and struggles to pay for their house, food and studies through his part time job. He now have to enter highschool and is offered a deal by a prestigious all school who offers to pay for all his studies.
However, the school makes this offer only because it used to be an all girl school and they want to make it a mixed school. Since he was the only male applicant, they want to make sure he is going to stay.
The thing is, this school is not a regular highschool as you would expect, it is an institution that trains young women in various martial arts. Strength is all that matters here, but the hero not only is really bad at fighting, he does not care at all about it. he does not want to become stronger, he only wants to make his siblings survive, so he have to deal with all the school’s problems because they let him study there for free.
This book contains good comedy but also serious moments. Nice action scenes and lovable characters.

1 Like

Hey, @Takafumi, since you said something about shounen action series having idealistic romance, I was wondering if you got some manga recs for me…

If it can be of any help, my favorite romances in otaku-media are Kirito/Asuna and Lucia/Kotarou…

Hmm, when it comes to manga, I generally only read Shoujo… And I rarely even read manga. I’m more of a anime/VN person.

Isn’t shoujo the most sexist manga spectrum? All I know about it is that the shoujo protagonists let their men do whatever they want with her and despite how much they might hurt her, she is still pleased in the end.

I have only read/seen 3 Shoujo series so I’m probably not the best but I’ve never really run into that.
“Orange” she’s actively fighting against what the main hero wants (at least how he expresses what he wants), “My Love Story” I just started but I really can’t see him taking advantage of her and “Alice in The Country of Hearts” probably the most like how you described but it’s a harem (reverse harem or does harem work for girl surrounded by guys?) and only one of the guys is like that. I think it’s based on a visual novel so that would just be giving you different personalities.

2 Likes

Depends what you are reading. Shoujo and Jousei stories make up a large spectrum of romance-styles. If it’s something like Second Reproduction, then yeah, it’ll end up like that.
You get things like Nana and Honey & Clover, that explore so much. There’s a whole bunch of different things going on in Shoujo.
For example, one of the more popular styles of Shoujo romance involves getting a bad guy and making him good.
Another staple is a protagonist that is cool outside and cute inside. This could be something like Shugo Chara!'s Amu, or like Obaka-chan’s Neiro.

2 Likes

Oh God, how much I hate this trope! That’s why I loathed the movie: “A Walk to Remember”

If you are looking for an amazing Shoujo, read Uwagaki.
It’s the story of a guy who confess to a girl but she already has a boyfriend so their teacher which is a bit crazy clones her but wipes out the memory of the boyfriend and gives him the task to charm the clone. At ue end of the time he gives the guy to charm the clone, the two girls will be fused together and the one who loves her boyfriend the most will prevail.
this manga has one of the best and original love story I ever read. The art is beautiful and there is a lot of comedy to contrast with the drama.
I highly recommend it.
Also it’s only 20 something chapters long so it’s not long to read

Shoujo manga worth checking out:

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (romance, comedy)
Last Game (romance, comedy)
Oresama Teacher (comedy)

incidentally, the last one was the predecessor of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun (still ongoing)

Also, feel free to take a look at Shinigami-Sama to 4-nin no Kanojo (not a shoujo, but a super funny harem)

1 Like

I usually read Shoujo to unwind. It does what you expect, but they’re not exactly memorable. I think I’ve read 10+ shoujo manga (and I don’t think I’ve finished any of them) and completely forgot what they were all about (or to even read them again.)

My issue with Pupa is that it doesn’t know what to do with itself. Would have been an interesting slice-of-life comedy if it sticked with the cannibalism and subtle incest than making things melodramatic.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this sounds fucking terrible or fucking amazing. Creative, no doubt. I’ve always wondered about philosophy of cloning, ie. what would happen if you split someone in two and tried to bring them back together again. This seems to be exploring the question in a tongue-in-cheek love triangle formula. Could be very bad, but I’m curious.

1 Like

I have read a manga named “Armored Core: Tower city Blade”, It was fun. :smile:

1 Like

Is it related in any way with the armored core game franchise?

I don’t like manga at all, but I have attempted to read a few.

The one manga I’ve completed is Fruits Basket. Because adorable Tohru.

I checked out a volume of FMA from the library once. My mom made me take it back because it was “too violent” xP

I’ve read like…40 some chapters of Tokyo Ghoul.
I’ve read pieces of Sukitte ii na yo, Vampire Knight, and probably some others I can’t remember.
Usually they’re anime I watched that didn’t have a good/conclusive ending and I wanted to find out what happened.
I never find out what happens because I never finish *facepalms *

And I suppose I’m going to read Heaven’s Door eventually.

If you want an AMAZING manga that had a disappointing anime, read Deadman Wonderland. There are no words to describe just how amazing the manga is in comparison to the show.
I also highly recommend Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni; the whole thing. It’s probably my favourite manga series, the art is nice, it has a bit of comedy, but the suspense and horror is so well done it actually sent shivers down my spine every now and then.

I watched the anime when I was 11 or 12 I think, and it horrified me. The characters were so creepy and weird.

Deadman Wonderland, eh? I’ll try reading it instead of watching it then.

I like susense/horror, but the gore of stories like Higurashi really make me queasy. Is the gore in the manga as prominent as it is in the anime?